• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I completely missed that - great find!

Yes that is the upcoming UCS R2-D2 and the rumored "modular-style" haunted house. Soooo looking forward to the latter!

hope the house is a modular style - doesn't look like it connects but maybe its another corner? Reminds me of those amazing victorian MOCs posted recently. it'd also make a nice break from the fairly traditional townhouse look of the previous models - every town needs a 'monster house'

Swig_

Is there a place you can buy random, bulk pieces? I had a ton of Legos from when I was a kid and would like to get back into building with them, but I think my parents gave them to my 3 year old nephew.

ghostmind

On phone, can somone screen grab the r2d2?

Ck49U.jpg

52SXV.jpg

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
If you plan to buy Town Hall and Pet Shop, you should really have a look at Fire Brigade and GE. They are still available for MSRP, but Fire Brigade wont be for long and prices will go up. Maybe you will hate yourself later for not buying it.

I've never actually been that drawn to Fire Brigade, but my inner completist kinda says otherwise. I've just been to LegoS@H and it's only £100- i'm pretty sure it was a lot more than that when it first came out.

I've searched Bricklink too- if I import I can get Grand Emporium for about £100, so there might be a saving there too. Eitherway, going to get the ones i do have out their storage boxes and get them displayed :)

Do we know if this is an actual modular or just something for the upcoming Monster Fighters theme? A cross-over perhaps/Halloween timed-exclusive?

ghostmind

Do we know if this is an actual modular or just something for the upcoming Monster Fighters theme? A cross-over perhaps/Halloween timed-exclusive?

What I had heard before is that it is supposed to be in the style of the modulars (ie. different levels, lots of details) - i do not know if it will be able to be connected. It is not part of the Monster Fighters theme.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What I had heard before is that it is supposed to be in the style of the modulars (ie. different levels, lots of details) - i do not know if it will be able to be connected. It is not part of the Monster Fighters theme.

thats fine I think. Not everything needs to be connected, some standalone buildings make sense. Needs a scary tree in the garden though

Is there a place you can buy random, bulk pieces? I had a ton of Legos from when I was a kid and would like to get back into building with them, but I think my parents gave them to my 3 year old nephew.

pick a brick wall at lego stores, or a good place can be ebay. You can often buy lego by the kilo/pound from parents getting rid of their childrens' lego after they grow up.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
As a father of 1 & 5 year old girls, the new "Friends" Lego series pisses me off to no end. How do you feel about it? Glad you're encouraging them to play with more traditional sets.
What's the difference in buying a set like that vs. dressing them in a skirt, or a pink jacket or whatever girly clothes there is being sold everywhere for little kids, or buying them a doll etc. I don't really see much, if any difference, that is if the kid likes the way it looks to begin with. Or, are you buying them just completely androgynous looking clothes? Not that I'd complain if you do, but this is not the case with any person I know in real life. Also, from what I've seen, the friends series has one of the girls being a scientists, so it's not like they're stereotyped into flight attendants, assistants or other such roles.

rataven

The haunted house looks fuuuun!

And just when I think I'm all caught up with Lego sets I want, out comes another whole batch of goodies. Town Hall, Ghost House, and Minecraft added to my list!

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Bit OT, bit relevant, here's my attempt at a modular building from a few years ago. It lack the polish and detail of the actual sets but it does have the functionality. I'll probably attempt a new one now that Town Hall is approaching :)

Nice work! I am so tempted to get modulars, but I have nowhere to display them. I also know that once I start down that path it will never end. Of course, since there is only one or two sets a year it is manageable.

What's the difference in buying a set like that vs. dressing them in a skirt, or a pink jacket or whatever girly clothes there is being sold everywhere for little kids, or buying them a doll etc. I don't really see much, if any difference, that is if the kid likes the way it looks to begin with. Or, are you buying them just completely androgynous looking clothes? Not that I'd complain if you do, but this is not the case with any person I know in real life. Also, from what I've seen, the friends series has one of the girls being a scientists, so it's not like they're stereotyped into flight attendants, assistants or other such roles.

I don't mean to derail this thread at all so I'll be brief. I was just really disappointed to see what has been a traditionally gender neutral product as Lego turn the corner. Of course we dress them in pink and buy them Barbies & Disney Princess everything....I've always felt that Lego can be played with by everybody and introducing a special "girlie" version sends the message of "Oh no, THIS is the Lego you should be playing with".

Maybe I'm projecting.

I don't mean to derail this thread at all so I'll be brief. I was just really disappointed to see what has been a traditionally gender neutral product as Lego turn the corner. Of course we dress them in pink and buy them Barbies & Disney Princess everything....I've always felt that Lego can be played with by everybody and introducing a special "girlie" version sends the message of "Oh no, THIS is the Lego you should be playing with".

Maybe I'm projecting.

Lego is a gender neutral product, but most of their themed lines skew heavily towards males. While there are plenty of girls out there wanting to play with Lego ninjas and build castles with knights and build pirate ships, it is still not as high as the amount that would rather build a castle set with Rapunzel at the top.

Chuckie

Lego is a gender neutral product, but most of their themed lines skew heavily towards males. While there are plenty of girls out there wanting to play with Lego ninjas and build castles with knights and build pirate ships, it is still not as high as the amount that would rather build a castle set with Rapunzel at the top.

I would build a castle with Rapunzel on top! Fairytales would be an awesome theme btw.

Oh and even though it is not a clear pic... I am LOVING that haunted house.

I would build a castle with Rapunzel on top! Fairytales would be an awesome theme btw.

Oh and even though it is not a clear pic... I am LOVING that haunted house.

I know. It just occurred to me when writing that up. Build Rapunzel's tower. You could make so many neat sets using fairy tales as inspiration.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ok, I'm now representin' Lego with my avatar, I think it's time we took over GAF with Legotars

Well I was thinking of somehow incorporating Lego into my avatar after Feb. Don't know how good my Photoshop skills are at producing a minifig version of my current avatar.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
well some sellers have an minimum piece/dollar limit, plus there's cost of shipping.

Bricklink is good for ordering in bulk, like I am for the UCS Falcon, but it seems kind of wasteful for just one piece.

Out of curiosity, about how much does it cost to buy the bricks to build the UCS Falcon from scratch like that? Just an estimated total cost? The set retailed for $1000 if I recall,and it goes for twice that now, but if I could buy the individual bricks for a decent price I'd totally do it. I don't care how hard it would be to build it, that would be worth it.

R2D4

Banned
Out of curiosity, about how much does it cost to buy the bricks to build the UCS Falcon from scratch like that? Just an estimated total cost? The set retailed for $1000 if I recall,and it goes for twice that now, but if I could buy the individual bricks for a decent price I'd totally do it. I don't care how hard it would be to build it, that would be worth it.

It retailed for $500.

http://www.toysperiod.com/lego-set-...lennium-falcon-ultimate-collector-series-ucs/

I have a spreadsheet with parts and have only figured up the first page which is 33 parts and 590 pieces. So far the total before shipping is $35. Most pieces are between 3 and 10 cents each. I've got 10 pages of parts to go through so it's going to take a while to come up with a total amount. Of course I have no idea what shipping will be. Most sellers on Bricklink have multiple parts so that's good. But I have a feeling it's going to be ordering from many different sellers. Most sellers have a min amount you can buy from them.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I like the look of the butcher. Looks a bit British. Needs a sitting boy with a charity box minifig that you find in 99% of butchers.

It is a really cool figure but my daughter really wanted the robot. I stood there for like twenty minutes fingering packets but they all seemed to have round heads so I just grabbed two at random.

Makes me want to get even more now. :p

MrDaravon

RELEASED THE HOUNDS! I knew that edit was an important piece of information. My wife also said there was a castle set but it was only marked down 10$ so she passed it up in favor of the better deals.

If anyone goes out, good luck and happy hunting!

Hey do you have any idea if your Target had them marked at those prices or not? My wife and I were literally at a Target 10 minutes ago that had both of these, but were both still had retail prices on the shelf.

Fritz

So, i am planing to go to the local lego store and get some cups to start building some miniature Robots and Spaceships for fun, like the ones Sakaguchi is posting on his blog. Haven't build anything in like 20 years. Any recommendations for useful pieces, like joints, hinges, canons, armory etc.? Any must haves? I am not really looking for sets atm though.

THANKS!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So, i am planing to go to the local lego store and get some cups to start building some miniature Robots and Spaceships for fun, like the ones Sakaguchi is posting on his blog. Haven't build anything in like 20 years. Any recommendations for useful pieces, like joints, hinges, canons, armory etc.? Any must haves? I am not really looking for sets atm though.

THANKS!
The 1x1 slopes seem to be the in thing.

Wolfe

Meh, I just don't like clone era stuff. Did they have any original trilogy stuff?

Yeah but for that price it's more than worth it for just the pieces alone, hell I picked up the V-wing recently for the pieces as it has some cool ones and I like the figs, but damn if I'm gonna build that ugly ship :p

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

THANKS!

1x1 slopes, 1x2 grated plates, 1x2 jumper plates, and any other 1x1 studs/headlight bricks/flat plates/details/hinge plates/handles/etc. Anything small is a good place to start since they give a lot of room for detail work.

Also, 1xn, 2xn, and 4xn plates are good for the framework. Example being those turret arms in that blog pic you posted - those are what look to be 2x6 plates.

Hey do you have any idea if your Target had them marked at those prices or not? My wife and I were literally at a Target 10 minutes ago that had both of these, but were both still had retail prices on the shelf.

They have the mark down sticker on them, that's all I can say for sure.

My wife only bought 1 of the turbo tanks but when she saw how much they are going for on ebay she may go back and buy the other one later today.

I WOULD DO ANYTHING FOR THE DIRECTIONS TO BUILD A STARGATE LEGO SET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any Earth ships would be cool. I would think that an Ori ship would be a cool set piece with all the curves and whatnot.

Lego_Stargate.jpg

Someone made one with a rotating ring and light up chevrons. That is badass.

woodypop

From my experience, clearance stuff isn't necessarily consistent from one Target store to another, even within the same city.

neonglow

I seem to remember someone saying around March 1st. Also this:

Notice that the bolded portion doesn't include Fire Brigade. For serious folks, if you're thinking of grabbing any of the modulars to start collecting them, get the damned Fire Brigade, haha. It's right in front of your eyes. Hell, it's not even pictured with the Town Hall layout.

Alright, you convinced me to get the Fire Brigade off Amazon now. My wallet is much sadder though.

Fritz

The 1x1 slopes seem to be the in thing.

1x1 slopes, 1x2 grated plates, 1x2 jumper plates, and any other 1x1 studs/headlight bricks/flat plates/details/hinge plates/handles/etc. Anything small is a good place to start since they give a lot of room for detail work.

Also, 1xn, 2xn, and 4xn plates are good for the framework. Example being those turret arms in that blog pic you posted - those are what look to be 2x6 plates.

Thanks guys. I am really starting from scratch here. Should be fun. It certainly looks like a great, nerdy pastime!

MrDaravon

Yeah, I figured it would be worth the time to double-check Target and both of those ones were still full price at mine. Mine (Roanoke VA) did have a ton of Imperial V-Wings for $15 which isn't bad at all, I had already picked one up yesterday at that price.

Fox Mulder

It retailed for $500 and has blown up to $2k since going OOP. I've bought 2,035 of the 5,175 or whatever total pieces in the set so far for $190. The majority of the pieces are sold for pennies, but three of them will cost $150 combined at current market price.

neonglow

It retailed for $500 and has blown up to $2k since going OOP. I've bought 2,035 of the 5,175 or whatever total pieces in the set so far for $190. The majority of the pieces are sold for pennies, but three of them will cost $150 combined at current market price.

Does the ship still look alright without those 3 pieces?

jtkauff

As opposed to the Pick-A-Brick wall mentioned above there's also tubs of Lego bricks that you can get - the price per brick is great and your best bang for buck if you're just wanting some bulk bricks. The sub-line for these is called "Bricks and More" and it looks like the Fun with Bricks and Fun with Vehicles sets are the best for starting out. May be a little simplistic but if you're just needing a bunch of 2x2 or 2x4 bricks it's not a bad starting place.

Looks like that would be the Light Bluish Gray Boat Mast Rigging at $65ish x2 and the radar dish at about $35. The riggings go in the back and there are black versions that are about $.50 each, so that's an option. The dish has a non-printed version you could pick up for a buck or two as well. Not a bad way to knock off $150 if you're not worried about it being 100% perfect.

XShagrath

I hope to get the Fire Brigade set on March 1 with double points.
I'm probably going to pick up Fire Brigade as my first build next week. I swear I'm going to get fuckin' hooked on this stuff, and it's not like I really need another hobby.

This thread is going to be the death of me.

Tower Bridge also looks really awesome. Any idea how long this one's gonna be around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom