• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So, I finally found a person in US who's willing to send me new LEGO sets to Europe (just bricks and instructions to keep the shipping fee down). What's the best way to track LEGO prices in US? Amazon Warehouse, what else?

Honestly, LEGO S@H is the most reliable. That's what most stores sell for. Occasionally you find 5-10% cheaper at Walmart/Target/etc, but even Amazon has gone more towards MSRP.

Today I bought the Prehistoric Hunters and Gandalf Arrives sets.

My gf took me this picture while I was concentrated biulding the T-Rex.

386987_4493978515854_1692564202_n.jpg
It's LEGO-Adventure Time!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hahaha love the pics!

So I sold a few sets I wasn't feeling (not much MOC capability either). Have $250 cash + $100 Amazon credit...The time is close...

Psssssh - that set looks too play. :/
This is actually my feeling as well, but this thread has hyped me up so much that I will probably buy it and then try to MOC it into more of a modular.

That's what I did with the Hoth Echo Base playset; turned into into a radar bunker that can be connected to other things if I ever MOC another Hoth set.

Picked up two Friends sets tonight. I was looking at the boxes and seeing lots of little things to help with the brewery and sweet shop MOCs I have going. Funny enough, one was the Friends ice cream stand. I think I will be incorporating that pink into my sweet shop color scheme.

Overall, both were ok builds, but lots of nice little touches like the modulars have. Best part of one set: you build a cheeseburger. A CHEESEBURGER! That bit alone was so awesome.

I do have to say, I am not a fan of the figures though. Just too alien. Best way to describe it. Either way, these were bought just for parts, but before tearing them down, I think Hulk and Deadpool need to pay a visit to Friends Town.

wetwired

How did you do yours? I got some thick cardboard, measured and drew guide lines on the back, then poked a hole with a pin through the board to the front side. But only on the outer bottom points. I then used some old lego pieces as "scaffolding" to glue each row down in one hit, using the pin holds as markers.

How did you do yours? I got some thick cardboard, measured and drew guide lines on the back, then poked a hole with a pin through the board to the front side. But only on the outer bottom points. I then used some old lego pieces as "scaffolding" to glue each row down in one hit, using the pin holds as markers.

Ill post pics later, that will be easier than explaining it all :)

I trust the people in my workplace but not enough to leave my Lego there.

This is embarrassing, but what the hell.

My company does a lot of work with mail openers & payment scanners. These two are fairly common models:

7780.jpg

as7200i.jpg

My daughter asked what I did at work so I figured this was the best way to show her....so they're now on my desk:

f0kmvl.jpg

I've never been, but this thread is making the rounds on Reddit today. Look at your own risk as it will likely spoil the trip.

http://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/yhy7c/my_visit_to_lego_land_fl/

Yea it looks like theres lot of neat stuff to see at legoland, but most of the attractions/rides are meant for young kids really. At almost $80 a ticket, not sure it's worth it. Some Legolands have special adult night events with more of a fun party atmosphere with adult activities, but doesn't seem like the Orlando location does them.

judhudson

Almost $300 in paypal, man I wished the Lego Store website would accept that as a form of payment. Regardless, gonna transfer the money over to my bank and order the Haunted House :D Been waiting to get that set (and the VIP Points)!

I see that MOC uses the traditional cat hair highlights. That should make it fairly easy to replicate in my own home.

Omg...using that beard as cream is genius.

WOW, did not really see that for what it was until you pointed it out. That's brilliant.

Overall, both were ok builds, but lots of nice little touches like the modulars have. Best part of one set: you build a cheeseburger. A CHEESEBURGER! That bit alone was so awesome.

I do have to say, I am not a fan of the figures though. Just too alien. Best way to describe it. Either way, these were bought just for parts, but before tearing them down, I think Hulk and Deadpool need to pay a visit to Friends Town.

Ha, yes, the cheeseburger is a favorite of mine. And I agree about the figs. That's my one remaining hangup with Friends.
There are a lot of fun, creative little bits like the cheeseburger across the other sets. The house is full of 'em...the blender and the lawnmower are my faves.

Ok, so something of an image bomb, explaining how I made the minifig frames.

Requires:
Ribba 23x23 cm^2 Frame (white)
thickish white cardboard >23x23 cm^2
Prittstick glue
cutter
superglue
A bunch of old LEGO
16 white inverted 2x2 slopes

Step 1:
Take apart the frame and use the pritt stick to glue the cardboard to the back wood panel.

Step 2:
Cut out the white cardboard along the sides, paying attention not to cut to much away from the "missing corner".

Step 3:
Use your (preferably) old lego to build a frame as follows, the dimensions are chosen to create a perfect fit for a minifig series of 16 minifigs. Add flat tile plates to the openings to accommodate smooth brick entry.

Step 4:
Align the lego frame with the bottom of the white back plane and horizontally centre it as well as possible.

Step 5:
Prepare the inverted slopes with a flat tile on top and get the superglue ready.

Step 6:
Add a small drop of superglue to the back of the inverted slope and carefully insert it into the ready made holes, be sure not to use to much glue or you risk gluing your whole structure to the paper. Less is more!

Step 7:
Due to the limited amount of glue used in step 6 some of the slopes might not stick to the background after removing the LEGO scaffolding. These can then be added one by one by using a small scaffolding (shown left) using the stuck slopes as reference.

Step 8:
All slopes should now be securely fastned and the flat tiles removed, position and distribute the minifigs as you desire.

Fxp

Just realized that LEGO Group finally released "Life of George" application for Android as well. Is it worth the money?

Just for positioning so you can slide the frame over it. You remove them in the last step.

Likely so you don't see studs?

Thanks for posting this. Why the 1x2 tile?

you have the scaffolding firmly positioned on the back plane.
you then slide the slopes into the holes in the scaffolding, the flat tiles are there to ensure smooth entry and to make sure the hole fits the slope and tile perfectly.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just realized that LEGO Group finally released "Life of George" application for Android as well. Is it worth the money?

Well the app is free, you could download it and have a look. It's only the Lego you're paying for. Our family enjoyed it. And there is a second app just come out - 'build ur brain' which is a set of mini games based on building.

Fxp

Well the app is free, you could download it and have a look. It's only the Lego you're paying for. Our family enjoyed it. And there is a second app just come out - 'build ur brain' which is a set of mini games based on building.

Yeah, I saw it's free, I'm just a little bit worried about replayability.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, I saw it's free, I'm just a little bit worried about replayability.
Well single player replayability might be limited, but you can challenge your times. And you can make your own models and import them into the game tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom