• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LG C9 OLED TV- is it bright enough for HDR video and gaming?

If you want to use the TV as a PC monitor then don't get an OLED, you're asking for a world of trouble in terms of burn in issues.

Go for a mid-high end Samsung Q series QLED panel. They have VRR freesync support, can do 120Hz at 1440p, ridiculously low input lag and are warranty guaranteed against burn in. I have a 55 inch Q70R that I use as my desktop monitor and it's been fantastic, both for productivity and gaming.

I also have an LG OLED that's in the living room and I actually prefer the colours on the Samsung QLED and overall have a better gaming experience on the Samsung. Deep blacks aren't everything, they are only part of the experience. I'd say that watching movies on the OLED is better though, so it depends on what you'll primarily be using the panel for.
Finally some unbiased truth. I got my b9 today live it but my b6 was killed by burn in.

Tygeezy

The amount of stretching people do to justify their LCD purchase is mind boggling. I hate to sound like a fanboy but LCDs are just not in the same league as OLED for overall picture. Black levels, blooming, and viewing angles are the biggest discrepancies - especially black levels. All it takes is watching the TV at night with no other light source and you can see it's not black.
You mean the color black isn't suppose to light up the room? The blooming is on a similar level of annoyance when dealing with lcd.

Tygeezy

I went from a KS8000 to a C9 last week and it’s plenty bright. I still squint at times. You only need that 1000+ nits for daytime watching with sun beating through your window.
And you don't need to get as bright with oled for that HDR impact because of how dark it can get and displays highlights without additional blooming.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The only big downside is image persistence at low frame rates (like Blu-Ray’s 24p mode)... nothing some motion smoothing cannot fix of course.
That was fixed in the C9, it’s much much much better than my B7A was. It fixes the stutter without introducing the soap opera effect.

Siri

Banned
I just bought a C9 for pc gaming, and for watching movies and television shows.

I’m not sure I understand why there would be burn in issues? Are we talking about hud burn in here?

The thing is, I launch my games within 2 or 3 minutes of turning my pc on, and I rarely game for more than an hour at a time. I use a Mac for surfing the net and for productivity stuff. Am I still at risk on the C9?

BTW, I buy a new gaming panel every 3 years or so. Longevity isn’t a concern. Surely burn in won’t be an issue?

EDIT: I’ll post my thoughts about the C9 as a PC Gaming monitor in a week or so. I’m holding off because I don’t want to descend into hyperbole. The monitor is mind blowing.

Last edited:

Skyr

That was fixed in the C9, it’s much much much better than my B7A was. It fixes the stutter without introducing the soap opera effect.
Duh now I feel even worse about my C7. The C9 is so much better in every way..
Ah well, one more year and I will trade it in for a c10 in time for next gen.

I have a B7 and want to upgrade to a c9. Whats is a good fair price for the 55b7 at this point? Anyone interested let me know, Im in the SF bay area!

skneogaf

I watched a YouTube video of this tv with gsync enabled and I could see strobing just like I can on my Samsung chg90 when using gsync. I'm really interested in buying the 65 inch version as I assumed because nvidia certified it for gsync then it would not have any issues.

Does anyone on here have an nvidia card and this tv and can confirm that no strobing or flashing etc occurs?

This is the video I've seen.

Siri

Banned
I watched a YouTube video of this tv with gsync enabled and I could see strobing just like I can on my Samsung chg90 when using gsync. I'm really interested in buying the 65 inch version as I assumed because nvidia certified it for gsync then it would not have any issues.

Does anyone on here have an nvidia card and this tv and can confirm that no strobing or flashing etc occurs?

This is the video I've seen.

You scared me. (RTX 2080 Ti - C9 - Gsync enabled). Thank God there’s nothing even remotely like that. The picture is completely stable. No strobing or flashing of any kind.

I wonder what was causing it on that person’s setup? I’d genuinely like to know.

LOLCats

Banned
As soon as I can snag a 2019 65 for the $1500 mark I'm upgrading.
They are close right now. 1700$ on ebay daily deals, i picked one up locally for 1800$. Still 300$ over that magic 1500$, but YOLO!

Last edited:
asked that in the other thread already: did anyone yet get adaptive sync to work on the 2019 LG OLEDs? especially interested on AMD cards, but x1x would also be interesting.

played doom 2016 at 1440p 120hz/fps yesterday, which was glorious. but i can't activate freesync in the radeon settings so no VRR. i think i read that VRR/freesync already worked with x1x and the 2018 series, so what going wrong here?

i also just got a c9 this month for pc gaming and i'm so elated

no more trying to find the "perfect" pc monitor, its here already

i run most games in 1440p120hz and it works perfectly fine for regular and competitive gaming

i think hdmi 2.1 will let the tv run higher than 4k60 in the future?

GHG

Gold Member

I’m not sure I understand why there would be burn in issues? Are we talking about hud burn in here?

The thing is, I launch my games within 2 or 3 minutes of turning my pc on, and I rarely game for more than an hour at a time. I use a Mac for surfing the net and for productivity stuff. Am I still at risk on the C9?

BTW, I buy a new gaming panel every 3 years or so. Longevity isn’t a concern. Surely burn in won’t be an issue?

EDIT: I’ll post my thoughts about the C9 as a PC Gaming monitor in a week or so. I’m holding off because I don’t want to descend into hyperbole. The monitor is mind blowing.

If you're using the C9 exclusively as a gaming monitor then it should be fine.

If you are going to be using it for anything else such as productivity or general desktop use where there re static elements (taskbar, expolorer windows, program UI's, etc) then I'd advise against it.

Regardless, enjoy it and don't forget to run it in with varied content for the first 20 hours or so.

Last edited:

dsk1210

Upgrading my B6 to a C9 this Friday.

Is the g-sync working well for people on nvidia cards? I won't be using g-sync at first as I still have a 1080ti but will use the TV to it's full capacity next year when hdmi 2.1 graphics cards come out and bang it up to 4k 120hz HDR.

I can't wait.

GymWolf

Unless you don't have these things called curtains in your room you don't need a sun flair for a tv. My oled is plenty bright for hdr content. Those saying you need a sun flair for a tv are probably trying to sell you a LCD who's big strength is blinding brightness. The oleds blacks levels viewing angles easily make up for the brightness which is overkill unless during the day with out curtains.
Same and my tv it's not near his peak brightness capability...

Never understood this brightness preoccupation from people....

Do people play vg in a super bright room or directyl under the sun or with sunglasses in a closed room??

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

You should be fine. Especially if you get a reasonable balance between gaming and video.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Same and my tv it's not near his peak brightness capability...

Never understood this brightness preoccupation from people....

Do people play vg in a super bright room or directyl under the sun or with sunglasses in a closed room??
Brightness is very much what Samsung has been pushing. It's the entire lifeblood of their marketing. Samsung, to their credit, is hands down the best at giving their TVs a nice pop in a show room. Although Sony often gets as bright it's just not the focus of Sony marketing.

Brightness is nice, but without deep blacks to back it up, it's loses some of it's punch.

I have two issues with Samsung that prevent me from ever recommending them.
1. Lack of Dolby Vision - it's currently the best form of HDR on the market and while it's not night and day better, I do notice it and would recommend it whenever available.
2. Price - Samsung's pricing IMO sucks. They're TVs are quite good, but I feel that at every single price point they sell their TVs at there always seems to be a better option available.

GymWolf

Brightness is very much what Samsung has been pushing. It's the entire lifeblood of their marketing. Samsung, to their credit, is hands down the best at giving their TVs a nice pop in a show room. Although Sony often gets as bright it's just not the focus of Sony marketing.

Brightness is nice, but without deep blacks to back it up, it's loses some of it's punch.

I have two issues with Samsung that prevent me from ever recommending them.
1. Lack of Dolby Vision - it's currently the best form of HDR on the market and while it's not night and day better, I do notice it and would recommend it whenever available.
2. Price - Samsung's pricing IMO sucks. They're TVs are quite good, but I feel that at every single price point they sell their TVs at there always seems to be a better option available.
I only watch tv or play vg with an almost totally black room, so my panasonic oled is far more than enough for me in terms of britghness.

Samsung are good if you watch tv in a very brigth room or like you said for restaurants or places where they put TVs to watch sport or other stuff while people do other stuff.

But yeah when you try perfect black with an oled tv, samsung are kinda shitty in comparison...

Last edited:

DarkBatman

The amount of stretching people do to justify their LCD purchase is mind boggling. I hate to sound like a fanboy but LCDs are just not in the same league as OLED for overall picture. Black levels, blooming, and viewing angles are the biggest discrepancies - especially black levels. All it takes is watching the TV at night with no other light source and you can see it's not black.

My last experience with LCD was hell. Bleeding, clouding, smearing and after three weeks the back panel detached itself due to insufficient glue application.
Returned it, bought an LG OLED B6 and loved it straight away - none of the before mentioned weaknesses were there.
This was two years ago. And I still love the hell out of it.

dsk1210

If I didn't have a b6 I'd probably of pulled the trigger.
It's the G-sync, HDMI 2.1 4k 120hz and 1440p 120hz that is making me upgrade from my B6.

I am really happy with my B6 but as I use mines as my main PC monitor they are substantial upgrades.

Journey

Banned

What about Mini LED QLED TVs from TCL? The TCL 8000 series is starting to look like a pretty sweet deal considering you can buy a 65" for like $2000. Black levels come pretty close and there's no issue with blooming on this set, all this for a fraction of the cost.

TheBoss1

What about Mini LED QLED TVs from TCL? The TCL 8000 series is starting to look like a pretty sweet deal considering you can buy a 65" for like $2000. Black levels come pretty close and there's no issue with blooming on this set, all this for a fraction of the cost.
There is still blooming on that TV but it's just better than most other LCD sets. LCDs might always have blooming because they're not pixel level controlled, meaning that each pixel is lit individually. As long as LCDs have "zones" they will continue to have blooming, even if minuscule.

It's still a fantastic looking TV and I would buy it if it was significantly cheaper than OLED, but it's hard to go back to those issues once you see OLED in a night time environment.

Siri

Banned
I‘ve had my C9 (as a gaming monitor) for 5 days now, and what seemed large at first now seems perfectly normal. I put away my 34 inch 21:9 monitor last night and it seemed ridiculously small in comparison. It’s fascinating how quickly we adapt to things.

Last edited:

TheBoss1

I‘ve had my C9 (as a gaming monitor) for 5 days now, and what seemed large at first now seems perfectly normal. I put away my 34 inch 21:9 monitor last night and it seemed ridiculously small in comparison. It’s fascinating how quickly we adapt to things.
Yeah 65" seemed huge but I adpated to it now everything smaller looks so tiny to me now. I can't believed I gamed on a 32" Samsung just 5 years ago.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Buy an LG C9 65” at that price. No brainer.

Goff2k

Using a wireless M&K? I just can't fathom being that close to a 65 and not burning out the retnas lol I'm curious how your setup looks like.

DanEON

Using a wireless M&K? I just can't fathom being that close to a 65 and not burning out the retnas lol I'm curious how your setup looks like.

On PC, your TV can be anything you want. Set custom resolutions and you can make your 55" TV an 46" ultrawide monitor.
I use my 49" TV with 3440x1440 resolution, with no scale its like and 40" ultrawide monitor.

Tygeezy

Maybe he's using some variation of the Corsair Lapdog with wireless mouse and keyboard? :p

I use a wireless logitech keyboard in my lap and place a wooden trey next to me on the couch with a mouse pad on top of it and use logitech g304.

LOLCats

Banned
I will say Samsung clearly has the better upscaler and video processing, especially with OTA and Cable sources. But otherwise, gaming, movie viewing its better hands down On the oled.

How about that 22 point white balance, lol... gonna take me months to dial all the picture mode to source configurations!

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Finally got my C9 today. To be honest, i wasn't very impressed initially. Thought I had wasted so much of money. But after adjusting image quality and picture modes etc, i started coming around. Sitting so close becomes an issue if the video or feed itself is not 4k. Even 1080p looks blurry. And 1080p YouTube videos? They look absolutely shit if it's a scene with fast movements.
But then when i connected my PC to it, setup HDR and launched star wars jedi fallen order, boy did things start looking so much better. I have only spent like 2-3 hours on it but its getting better. Tomorrow will spend much and will see over the weekend how things pan out.
As of now, 75% satisfied.

Top Bottom