• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LG C9 OLED TV- is it bright enough for HDR video and gaming?

Tygeezy

Finally got my C9 today. To be honest, i wasn't very impressed initially. Thought I had wasted so much of money. But after adjusting image quality and picture modes etc, i started coming around. Sitting so close becomes an issue if the video or feed itself is not 4k. Even 1080p looks blurry. And 1080p YouTube videos? They look absolutely shit if it's a scene with fast movements.
But then when i connected my PC to it, setup HDR and launched star wars jedi fallen order, boy did things start looking so much better. I have only spent like 2-3 hours on it but its getting better. Tomorrow will spend much and will see over the weekend how things pan out.
As of now, 75% satisfied.
Gsync (compatibility) with HDR at 120 hz is glorious. I cant wait for next gen cards with hdmi 2.1 so we can do 4k 120 hz variable refresh rate HDR. For now 1440 p looks very good with this tv at 120 hz.

LOLCats

Banned
I picked up the 77 inch and sit between 8 and 9 feet away.
do you watch NFL? If so how does it look for you, the nfl games are total shit, my Samsung must have done a lot to mask that. LG, right away you can tell its total crap feed.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

do you watch NFL? If so how does it look for you, the nfl games are total shit, my Samsung must have done a lot to mask that. LG, right away you can tell its total crap feed.
Ive watched one game (Browns vs steelers thursday night football) on atnt tv it was shit. I switched to local channels over the air and it was a lot better, but still visibly compressed. There are a lot of picture processing settings to clean up poor sources that I didn't mess with. The NFL needs to start offering up 4k feeds and not force people to have direc tv. Im going to check out some nba games because I follow that sport more closely. HBO go which compresses pretty heavily at 1080 p looked pretty good when I watched the watchmen,

dolabla

CES should be interesting. I'm thinking they will debut the 48 inch OLED there since they said it was coming next year. Definitely getting that smaller version. Can not wait to finally try OLED.

Last edited:

decisions

LOLCats

Banned
Since we're talking about TVs here, this seems like a really good deal and I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger:

Just trying to find a <$300 upgrade from my crappy-but-durable 720p 19-inch Craig TV. This or the TCL 4-series have similar deals going on putting them at this price point, but the LG seems to have better picture quality. Primary use is gaming of course.

id get the TCL for the Roku OS, otherwise a samsung LED in that price range would probably be better.

im not to keen on LG lcd/led product line, id spend the extra 70$ and get a samsung.

Siri

Banned
Finally got my C9 today. To be honest, i wasn't very impressed initially. Thought I had wasted so much of money. But after adjusting image quality and picture modes etc, i started coming around. Sitting so close becomes an issue if the video or feed itself is not 4k. Even 1080p looks blurry. And 1080p YouTube videos? They look absolutely shit if it's a scene with fast movements.
But then when i connected my PC to it, setup HDR and launched star wars jedi fallen order, boy did things start looking so much better. I have only spent like 2-3 hours on it but its getting better. Tomorrow will spend much and will see over the weekend how things pan out.

Yes!

When I bought my C9 55 last week I was actually expecting to be underwhelmed - because that’s been the case with every new monitor I’ve purchased in the past 10 years.

Typically it takes me about a week to make the adjustment. With the C9 I’ve already made the adjustment. No way would I ever go back to a backlit lcd panel, and I’ve already gotten used to the size. But what’s really blown me away has been HDR. Lately I’ve been getting tired of seeing gamers complaining about such and such a game not having HDR - I totally get it now. HDR transforms the look and feel of the game completely.

Where this monitor is really going to shine will be with the RTX 3080TI. Hopefully HDMI 2.1 will be supported - meaning 4K at 120Hz. I’m assuming that ray tracing will be far more powerful on those cards too. The combination of OLED, HDR, and Ray Tracing on a big 55 inch display for PC gaming, with frame-rates as high as 120, will be a staggering combination.

That’s all within reach too - probably by Fall of 2020 (or thereabouts).

Kittoo, keep launching HDR games, and adjusting the brightness levels - for pc gaming the C9 is breathtaking.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

Yes!

When I bought my C9 55 last week I was actually expecting to be underwhelmed - because that’s been the case with every new monitor I’ve purchased in the past 10 years.

Typically it takes me about a week to make the adjustment. With the C9 I’ve already made the adjustment. No way would I ever go back to a backlit lcd panel, and I’ve already gotten used to the size. But what’s really blown me away has been HDR. Lately I’ve been getting tired of seeing gamers complaining about such and such a game not having HDR - I totally get it now. HDR transforms the look and feel of the game completely.

Where this monitor is really going to shine will be with the RTX 3080TI. Hopefully HDMI 2.1 will be supported - meaning 4K at 120Hz. I’m assuming that ray tracing will be far more powerful on those cards too. The combination of OLED, HDR, and Ray Tracing on a big 55 inch display for PC gaming, with frame-rates as high as 120, will be a staggering combination.

Kittoo, keep launching HDR games, and adjusting the brightness levels - for pc gaming the C9 is breathtaking.
I was incredibly bummed when Outer Worlds just dropped without HDR.... Most releases are coming out with hdr though. The last two battlefield games, battlefront 2, the last 2 call of duties have it for multiplayer as well as most aaa single player games getting released.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
BTW, make sure you replace your current cables with HDMI 2.1 cables so you will be ready!

The main thing you need to look for is 48GBps, as some that are still 18GBps will show up when searching for HDMI 2.1

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Yes!

Thanks for the writeup and advice man.
Yeah I think it will take me some time to get to know all the settings and adjust accordingly for gaming or movie purposes.
But yeah, the HDR in Jedi Fallen order did blow me away. The actual brightness of 'bright' objects and the actual darkness of 'dark' places is what makes it so much of an upgrade. I always used to think why is it that nights in games (even in movies) are not really dark and the torches and fire etc dont really feel like that. Well..turns out that it was as much of a display issue as an artistic decision. Suddenly with this panel the nights are dark, the light sources and their reflections are actually bright!
In the beginning section where we are moving on a train, the sudden incoming light flashes actually felt as if they were blinding me for a second. Amazing. Cant wait to try other games, especially those with night sections in jungles or something.

Last edited:

dsk1210

Just like a high quality audio system these TV's require high quality sources to show of their quality to the fullest.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Since we're talking about TVs here, this seems like a really good deal and I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger:

Just trying to find a <$300 upgrade from my crappy-but-durable 720p 19-inch Craig TV. This or the TCL 4-series have similar deals going on putting them at this price point, but the LG seems to have better picture quality. Primary use is gaming of course.
Going with TCL is a no brainer. They're decent even at that price range. I have one in my bedroom. It's nothing compared to a high end model or even a mid range, but it will tide you over.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Don't those come with the C9 TV?

And I assume the next gen consoles will come with HDMI 2.1 cables as well...
No. In fact, I've never owned a TV in which cables came in the box.

I wouldn't bank on next gen consoles having them, since it's going to be very limited as to who will have TVs who take advantage. They should have at least HDMI 2.0 cables, though

Rossco EZ

here’s a 2.1 HDMI cable i got from amazon, nice quality and the connections fit in firmly :)
2M HDMI 2.1 Cable 48Gbps by True HQTM | 8K Ultra High Speed PREMIUM Lead with Ethernet | 8K 60Hz 4K 120Hz UHD HDCP 2.2 eARC | Dolby Vision Dynamic HDR PS4 Xbox PC | Zinc Alloy & Gold https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SFYXDFS/

DanEON

To people that use 1440p with this TV to be able to use 120hz. Isn't it better to use 1080p and than use the game's resolution scale like there is in Red Dead?

TheBoss1

Same here. The key here is the content. If you're watching cable/DVD/low res/low bitrate videos it definitely feels like a waste of money, but as soon as you start watching 4K, HDR or not, it immediately shows its worth. I mostly avoid low quality content now because I'm spoiled by the better ones on OLED.

Ulysses 31

To people that use 1440p with this TV to be able to use 120hz. Isn't it better to use 1080p and than use the game's resolution scale like there is in Red Dead?
You can have 120Hz at 4K 8 bit color with HDMI 2.0, unless you're talking about Xbox One which forces 1440p at 120Hz.

JLB

Banned
I have the previous model and its absolutely stunning, so I guess C9 should be more than fine.

Kuranghi

If its mostly for HDR movies get an OLED but if its mostly for HDR games I would try and find a Sony ZD9/Z9D. Review here - https://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kd65zd9-201610164372.htm.

I own a Sony 65" ZD9/Z9D LED and a Sony 65" AF9 OLED and I've tried HDR input from a PC & a PS4 Pro on both, for many games and I prefer the impact of the brightness the ZD9/Z9D gives, you will still see blooming from the backlight on scenes of small bright objects on a very dark background, but this is few and far between in practice, you'll mostly see it on loading screens and specific cases like cutscenes in Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice.

Just my experience, but I rarely notice blooming when I am playing games of all types but I certainly notice when the screen is filled with bright white objects and gives me that pop factor you spoke of. This is because the ZD9/Z9D goes to 1600 nits on a 10% window vs 600-800 nits for OLEDs. On a real scene with mixed content a C9 is 700 nits, a ZD9 is 1350 nits. When 25% of the screen is filled with bright objects a C9 is 530 nits, a ZD9 is 1350.

Its hard to get one now though, its a 2016 model, you'd need to buy refurbished or 2nd hand.

I wouldnt suggest any of the superhigh-end LEDs from 2019 as the 2019 Sony LEDs are mostly disappointing due to a low number of dimming zones [Sony XG95] and 2019 Samsung LEDs fuck with the image too much and are all inferior to the ZD9 in the areas of processing, dimming zone count, motion colour accuracy and PC monitor usage. LG OLED's have the best input lag of all OLEDs and have the HDMI 2.1 features others in this thread have pointed out but Sony X1 Ultimate OLED's have better image processing, tonemapping and upscaling.

After the ZD9 is gone then OLED will be the "best" for HDR gaming since there won't be a choice anymore. Maybe try independant AV stores so you can go and see it before buying.

Try Jedi Fallen Order on a ZD9 in a decent showroom environment and decide if you think the extra brightness gives you more pop on it than your C9 does, only you can know if its worth the downsides of LED over OLED eg black level and viewing angle.

edit - I'm not sure where you are in the world but I can't even see ZD9/Z9D on ebay, might be impossible to find at this point, in this case, stick with your C9. Don't return it to buy a QLED/Samsung LED, you will get the extra pop for bright HDR scenes but they have so many caveats that its not worth it. I only recommend a ZD9/Z9D or a Panasonic DX902 if you aren't keeping the OLED.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I don't understand why you guys even support oled.
it has burn in
it is not bright at all
and the tech is dead
better to wait for the new microled

IMG-20191120-WA0010.jpg

OH FOR FUCK SAKE I DID IT AGAIN

Skyr

BTW will the C9 able to run 4k @ 120hz
I don't understand why you guys even support oled.
it has burn in
it is not bright at all
and the tech is dead
better to wait for the new microled

IMG-20191120-WA0010.jpg

OH FOR FUCK SAKE I DID IT AGAIN
giphy.gif

Kuranghi

Also, asking a bunch of OLED owners if OLED is bright enough to give HDR video and gaming pop is not going to get you a balanced answer, most people prefer the extra contrast the 0 nit black level of OLED brings them, be it for gaming or movies. If you bought it and thats how you feel you should try what I suggested, its the closest you can get to an OLED's dimming capabilities and black level, but with superior HDR for bright scenes.

I try to present the downsides of both of the technologies but its easier to just say OLED is superior in every way. I know from experience as I sell the things, but the vast majority of my customers aren't gaming so its less complicated in those cases.

I don't doubt that Samsungs sneaky marketing instilling doubt in the "brightness" of OLEDs has to do with people feeling like this, but you'll also see a lot of people asking the same question you have after buying OLED.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

If its mostly for HDR movies get an OLED but if its mostly for HDR games I would try and find a Sony ZD9/Z9D. Review here - https://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kd65zd9-201610164372.htm.

I own a Sony 65" ZD9/Z9D LED and a Sony 65" AF9 OLED and I've tried HDR input from a PC & a PS4 Pro on both, for many games and I prefer the impact of the brightness the ZD9/Z9D gives, you will still see blooming from the backlight on scenes of small bright objects on a very dark background, but this is few and far between in practice, you'll mostly see it on loading screens and specific cases like cutscenes in Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice.

Just my experience, but I rarely notice blooming when I am playing games of all types but I certainly notice when the screen is filled with bright white objects and gives me that pop factor you spoke of. This is because the ZD9/Z9D goes to 1600 nits on a 10% window vs 600-800 nits for OLEDs. On a real scene with mixed content a C9 is 700 nits, a ZD9 is 1350 nits. When 25% of the screen is filled with bright objects a C9 is 530 nits, a ZD9 is 1350.

Its hard to get one now though, its a 2016 model, you'd need to buy refurbished or 2nd hand.

I wouldnt suggest any of the superhigh-end LEDs from 2019 as the 2019 Sony LEDs are mostly disappointing due to a low number of dimming zones [Sony XG95] and 2019 Samsung LEDs fuck with the image too much and are all inferior to the ZD9 in the areas of processing, dimming zone count, motion colour accuracy and PC monitor usage. LG OLED's have the best input lag of all OLEDs and have the HDMI 2.1 features others in this thread have pointed out but Sony X1 Ultimate OLED's have better image processing, tonemapping and upscaling.

After the ZD9 is gone then OLED will be the "best" for HDR gaming since there won't be a choice anymore. Maybe try independant AV stores so you can go and see it before buying.

Try Jedi Fallen Order on a ZD9 in a decent showroom environment and decide if you think the extra brightness gives you more pop on it than your C9 does, only you can know if its worth the downsides of LED over OLED eg black level and viewing angle.

edit - I'm not sure where you are in the world but I can't even see ZD9/Z9D on ebay, might be impossible to find at this point, in this case, stick with your C9. Don't return it to buy a QLED/Samsung LED, you will get the extra pop for bright HDR scenes but they have so many caveats that its not worth it. I only recommend a ZD9/Z9D or a Panasonic DX902 if you aren't keeping the OLED.
You shouldn't be buying anything over a c9 assuming you can afford it. It's the only display capable of 4k 120 hz HDR with variable refresh rate and leading class input lag. Another thing people ignore about oled is response time. You get 0 ghosting at lower framerates with an oled like you will with ips or va displays. It's even faster than a tn panel.

Kuranghi

You shouldn't be buying anything over a c9 assuming you can afford it. It's the only display capable of 4k 120 hz HDR with variable refresh rate and leading class input lag. Another thing people ignore about oled is response time. You get 0 ghosting at lower framerates with an oled like you will with ips or va displays. It's even faster than a tn panel.

I find a lot of people are disappointed with the "stutter" of OLED at 30 fps, *because* the pixel response rate is so fast. Amazing for large pixel/retro games though. Here are some examples:

Rtings talks about it here: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/stutter

edit - i didnt want those links to embed like that for space reasons, not sure how to change that

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I don't see a lot of counter arguments for what I post about LCD vs OLED on here, just "you shouldn't be buying anything except OLED" and input lag is "class-leading" but forgetting to say its 13ms on the LG C9 vs 24ms on the Sony ZD9. Both of which are terrible figures compared to a monitor.

The digital foundry video about animation lag in RDR 2 shows it has at best 180ms of lag between your action and reaction on screen and as much as 480ms of lag. Adding 11 ms to this figure is borderline meaningless, people shouldn't be so hung up on input lag.

Ulysses 31

I find a lot of people are disappointed with the "stutter" of OLED at 30 fps, *because* the pixel response rate is so fast. Amazing for large pixel/retro games though. Here are some examples:

edit - i didnt want those links to embed like that for space reasons, not sure how to change that

medicareinfo.jpg

Oof at those LG X9 scores.

My Q900R rates pretty low too but I wonder if they tested with the game mode motion plus settings, without it, 30 fps content is a chore to watch when turning/panning the camera. And if the LG is even worse with no motion plus available in game mode... ouch!

Last edited:

Kuranghi

"Is LG C9 bright enough for HDR video and gaming?"

Yes.

"Can you get brighter HDR video and gaming on something other than a C9/OLED?"

Yes.

Tygeezy

You see motion smearing or ghosting even at 60 fps if you are using a va or ips display without gsync hardware to provide variable overdrive. Oled and tv panels are fast so they can display these framerates without these artifacts. Microled is oging to be similar speed as oled, so people will need to get use to this. If stutter at lower framerates bothers you there is usually always a motion blur setting in games.

Tygeezy

I don't see a lot of counter arguments for what I post about LCD vs OLED on here, just "you shouldn't be buying anything except OLED" and input lag is "class-leading" but forgetting to say its 13ms on the LG C9 vs 24ms on the Sony ZD9. Both of which are terrible figures compared to a monitor.

The digital foundry video about animation lag in RDR 2 shows it has at best 180ms of lag between your action and reaction on screen and as much as 480ms of lag. Adding 11 ms to this figure is borderline meaningless, people shouldn't be so hung up on input lag.
Its 6 ms at 120 hz which rivals any gaming monitor on the market at that refresh rate. At the same refresh rate it's 85 % faster than the sony. There is also the big one of supporting variable refresh rate.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
medicareinfo.jpg

Oof at those LG X9 scores.

My Q900R rates pretty low too but I wonder if they tested with the game mode motion plus settings, without it, 30 fps content is a chore to watch when turning/panning the camera. And if the LG is even worse with no motion plus available in game mode... ouch!
I never recommended turning on any motion enhancement in gaming. It often makes the image look worse and creates horrible artifacts. Also it often creates horrible input lag.

Samsung is the only manufacturer that can do motion interpolation without horrible input lag.

The C9 motion interpolation is vastly superior to the B7A that I previously owned. The stutter was horrible in 24 fps content, but when the clear setting is enabled on the C9, it removes the stutter without the soap opera effect. It's pretty close to godsend.

dsk1210

Ita actually 6.6ms lag at 120hz.

Ulysses 31

I never recommended turning on any motion enhancement in gaming. It often makes the image look worse and creates horrible artifacts. Also it often creates horrible input lag.

Samsung is the only manufacturer that can do motion interpolation without horrible input lag.

The C9 motion interpolation is vastly superior to the B7A that I previously owned. The stutter was horrible in 24 fps content, but when the clear setting is enabled on the C9, it removes the stutter without the soap opera effect. It's pretty close to godsend.
Great thing about the Q900R is that it has a motion plus for game mode too. Yeah there's some artifacts sometimes but it's still leagues better than the 30 fps judder fest without it.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Great thing about the Q900R is that it has a motion plus for game mode too. Yeah there's some artifacts sometimes but it's still leagues better than the 30 fps judder fest without it.
I disagree completely. 30fps is still 30 fps. Faking it so that it doesn't seem make it less so.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I disagree completely. 30fps is still 30 fps. Faking it so that it doesn't seem make it less so.
Even if it's fake smoothness and sometimes artifacts, it's better than the constant double imagery 30 fps judder causes when turning/panning:

god-of-war-oled-C8-01.jpg

And like I said, it's a game mode motion plus setting, it doesn't do the full(?) motion interpolation of normal motion plus so you don't get the soap opera effect in 30 fps games.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Even if it's fake smoothness and sometimes artifacts, it's better than the constant double imagery 30 fps judder causes when turning/panning:

god-of-war-oled-C8-01.jpg

And like I said, it's a game mode motion plus setting, it doesn't do the full(?) motion interpolation of normal motion plus so you don't get the soap opera effect in 30 fps games.
On the C9 it isn't that bad.

FYI, judder isn't the correct term. Stutter is what you're talking about. Judder applies to 24fps on 60Hz film content being forced to do 3:2 pulldown. It's pretty much dead now, even on 60Hz TVs since those TVs drop to 48Hz.

Whitecrow

Banned
Black Friday time. I'm on the fence. Convince me.

What is keeping me from going all in is the judder issue in novies and the brightness variance. Should I worry?

Last edited:

Skyr

I really had no idea that this issue was improved with the c9.
I have motion interpolation off on my c7 as I can’t stand the soap opera effect. But at the same time the stuttering in movies whenever the camera is doing panning motions is bothering me a lot.

I am actually thinking about putting my 55c7d on ebay to get a 65c9 on Black Friday. Or should I wait for the c10 for 1 year? What upgrades can we expect from the c10 compared to the c9?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I really had no idea that this issue was improved with the c9.
I have motion interpolation off on my c7 as I can’t stand the soap opera effect. But at the same time the stuttering in movies whenever the camera is doing panning motions is bothering me a lot.

I am actually thinking about putting my 55c7d on ebay to get a 65c9 on Black Friday. Or should I wait for the c10 for 1 year? What upgrades can we expect from the c10 compared to the c9?
TO my eyes, it's improved, but I admit that I haven't tested it extensively. For movies, I just set the motion smoothing setting at clear and that does the job. I'm actually going to look more closely at it this weekend. For gaming, I turn all that stuff off and just keep it in Game mode.

It's difficult to advise on what you should do. No matter what TV you buy, there will always be something better coming up the horizon. I have absolutely no idea what to expect as far as new features.

All I can is right now, the C9 is pretty much the best TV you can buy and it's really the only option if you want HDMI 2.1. Next year, expect Sony, Samsung (on their mid-tier models) Panasonic and maybe even TCL offer HDMI 2.1 TVs.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Black Friday time. I'm on the fence. Convince me.

What is keeping me from going all in is the judder issue in novies and the brightness variance. Should I worry?
True judder doesn't really exist in TVs much anymore except in the dirt cheap sets. judder was the result of 60Hz TVs being forced to do 3:2 pulldown. These days even cheaper TVs just drop the refresh rate of the TV down to 48Hz so that each frame is displayed the same number of times. 120Hz it's a non-issue.

So no, judder doesn't exist, but stutter still exists.

Ulysses 31

On the C9 it isn't that bad.

FYI, judder isn't the correct term. Stutter is what you're talking about. Judder applies to 24fps on 60Hz film content being forced to do 3:2 pulldown. It's pretty much dead now, even on 60Hz TVs since those TVs drop to 48Hz.
Weird on Samsung's part then to call the setting that reduces stutter as "judder reduction". 0o

Skyr

TO my eyes, it's improved, but I admit that I haven't tested it extensively. For movies, I just set the motion smoothing setting at clear and that does the job. I'm actually going to look more closely at it this weekend. For gaming, I turn all that stuff off and just keep it in Game mode.

It's difficult to advise on what you should do. No matter what TV you buy, there will always be something better coming up the horizon. I have absolutely no idea what to expect as far as new features.

All I can is right now, the C9 is pretty much the best TV you can buy and it's really the only option if you want HDMI 2.1. Next year, expect Sony, Samsung (on their mid-tier models) Panasonic and maybe even TCL offer HDMI 2.1 TVs.
Cool, let me know what conclusion you come to after taking a closer look at it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Cool, let me know what conclusion you come to after taking a closer look at it.
In the mean time, this person on AVSforums sets it exactly how I do. I came from a B7A, which had very noticeable suttuer

Post 3478
I can't speak to the C8 but the C9 is MUCH better than the C7.
I am using Clear which is a good compromise settings. There is still stutter on some pans. It is a smoother than off, so there is some SOA but not bad.

- Rich

That has been my impression so far. It does still stutter in some places, but it seems to be overall much smoother

Top Bottom