• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Life of Satoru Iwata - Gaming Historian

Ōkami

12241042_1132799236748877_9051349225558095844_o.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4cJh2YgrKE

This video is being discussed in another thread, but I think it deserves more exposure, 37 minutes, great work, I highly suggest you watch it.

Shiggy

Kinda sad that he passed away when he didn't really leave the company behind in the best state, which he surely didn't want. I wonder how much the stress actually affected his health and if in that case, a resignation might have been better for him personally.

xzeldax3

I'll be sure to watch this later today. I remember when I first learned about the stuff he did on Pokemon Gold & Silver and was shocked.

Daknight

Really great work. Had me in tears again, a great respectful video with great insight an details. Ending with Ito's letter would make anyone cry.

Blu(e)

One thing I noticed at (1:32) he mentions Iwata thought games "weren't" for everyone. Which I thought was odd. Other then that, very informative about Iwata's career and as an individual.

R.I.P Iwata. You are missed.

wiibomb

and again I'm in tears...

this is not fair... we still miss you Iwata, even if we didn't knew you in person, we will miss how special you were for Nintendo and even how unique your sense of humor was

BY2K

Membero Americo
One thing I noticed at (1:32) he mentions Iwata thought games "weren't" for everyone. Which I thought was odd. Other then that, very informative about Iwata's career and as an individual.

R.I.P Iwata. You are missed.

That was back when he started at HAL, which is something he sought to change. And he did.

Blu(e)

That was back when he started at HAL, which is something he sought to change. And he did.

I'm actually an idiot and misunderstood. It's about him challenging the notion rather then his actual thought about it. Apologies.

thenexus6

Still bums me out thinking during E3 when the internet was mocking and laughing their heads off at that Nintendo direct / announcements he must've felt real bad. Not a very nice feeling at all.

Haven't finished it yet, but the footage of him in the Directs has got me tearing up.
It sucks that such an amazing person got taken far too soon

Fantastic video and I learned a few things. Quite a private man though, as we still know almost nothing about his personal life.

It's legitimately heartbreaking to think about his last few months, how low public opinion of Nintendo was at the time and how he would have went to his death with all of that negativity. Last thing he ever said to us was a promise to work harder to not disappoint us again.

I never met him, but it still feels like I lost a personal friend. I'm just thankful that his work was such a big part of my life.

Dremark

Banned
The video was very well done. IIRC He had mentioned shortly after Iwata had passed that he was going to take the time to do the video when it was right and I thought that was a classy and smart decision all things considered.

The end result is the video turned out really well, and told a story of both what he did and who he was and I feel that we got a really good window into the life he led due to the care that was taken with it.

Firemind

“On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.”

That's when I lost it. ;-;

Dremark

Banned
Still bums me out thinking during E3 when the internet was mocking and laughing their heads off at that Nintendo direct / announcements he must've felt real bad. Not a very nice feeling at all.

Fantastic video and I learned a few things. Quite a private man though, as we still know almost nothing about his personal life.

It's legitimately heartbreaking to think about his last few months, how low public opinion of Nintendo was at the time and how he would have went to his death with all of that negativity. Last thing he ever said to us was a promise to work harder to not disappoint us again.

I never met him, but it still feels like I lost a personal friend. I'm just thankful that his work was such a big part of my life.

I'm not sure if Iwata knew his days were coming to an end or not, everyone seemed to be left completely in the dark about his condition, even the statements from people at Nintendo seemed genuinely surprised that he was still ill and passed so suddenly.

In retrospect it was honestly pretty obvious, the survival rate was so low, even though the chances of him actually making it though were so low it feels like he put everyone at ease and continued to take the steps necessary to keep his company moving in the right direction. Even in ways that were previously unthinkable.

It is really sad he was criticized that way, but I honestly believe that if people knew it wouldn't have been like that. It is really sad that the man was basically on his deathbed but still had to deal with all that negativity, but ultimately it showed what type of a man and what type of a leader he was. He took responsibility for it like he always seemed to.

I didn't even realize that we didn't really learn much about his personal life, either from this video or anywhere else for that matter. Pretty much all we learn about his personal life was his hobbies, but even so i think we still got a very good look at who he was and what type of a person he was.

Top Bottom