• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lion King (2019) review thread | Can't Feel The Love Tonight

Raziel

Just barely rotten so far after a hundred reviews.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So what's wrong with it besides being soulless and realistic looking animals singing thus making it look awkward?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Disney rehashing another story. What a surprise.

It's like Spiderman and Batman and Superman. How many times do we have to see a origins remake how Bruce's parents were killed by JOker and high school Peter Parker.

Fbh

I just don't see the point of this.
With the others at least it's a life action remake which is somewhat interesting.

But this is basically still an animated movie, just made in another style that despite going for a more realistic look still looks very obviously computer generated and has lost all the charm and personality in the process

It's like Spiderman and Batman and Superman. How many times do we have to see a origins remake how Bruce's parents were killed by JOker and high school Peter Parker.

Well seems like not enough times because in most versions of the story it isn't the Joker who kills Bruce's parents

Last edited:

Toolhead1987

Neo Member
Iti feel and for my irk friends who eat these live actions remakes up every time like pig food.
These movies are so pointless.
Mulan might be good if it turns out to be a period piece movie...we’ll see.
But Lion King and all these are movies Disney has been shitting out are just bad.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm not really surprised that its soulless based on the trailers but I am surprised that critics didn't like it.

The Jungle Book was good in my opinion and I did kind of expect Favreau to pull this off.

TacosNSalsa

I feel it really is the look of it . These realistic looking animals just cannot display the emotions from facial expressions and body movement that the cartoon did . If they tried I think it'd just look creepy as f*ck .

kegkilla

Banned
The premise of a movie where photorealistic animals are talking and conveying human emotions is just retarded. Doesn't work.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
If anyone reading this has somehow never seen The Lion King, please just watch the original and ignore this.
Ok
hqdefault.jpg

mcjmetroid

Watching boring CGI emotionless animals vs very well 2d animated animals that show a variety of emotion and facial expressions.
That's the problem from the getgo.

I think the main issue with the film is that it tried to bring back too many elements from the original.

If I wanted to watch the original I'd watch it. Like there's no need for the songs and exact same plot. Be its own thing.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I give props to Disney trying something new. They are going for more realistic adaptions than classic cartoon stuff. So got to admit, effort is there for visuals.

Now if Disney can stop regurgitating the same storyline for 100 years, maybe people would be more open to script changes too.

It's like Call of Duty. People always seem to love the games, but when things get too stale, even it gets nailed with bad reviews.

Jon Neu

Banned
This is a Japanese film that was done way before the lion king. Have you seen how Disney had lawyers up the young yang to destroy them?

It was a manga and a TV anime.

Disney copied it to the T while still claiming The Lion King was an "original" creation.

They did the same with Atlantis, which was a rip off of Fushigi No Umi No Nadia.

nocsi

How do you fuck up Lion King? It's pretty much africanized Hamlet, you just need to hit the key plot points

nkarafo

They went for realistic, emotionless animals. They pushed the available technology to make this look like a real thing.

Yet, they kept the dialog, songs, etc.

Why not make it realistic all the way then? Cut all dialog and tell the same story in the same way older animal movies did. Is that boring? OK, let the dialog be inside their heads. Show what they think instead of actually speaking. Or use a narrator or something. Still better than uncanny valley talking animals.

At least cut the songs!

JimiNutz

Banned
The thing I don't understand is that the same director masterfully remade The Jungle Book just a few years ago. The animals in that did convey emotions with expressive faces and they also fleshed out the story and improved on the original.

Maybe Disney thought that The Lion King was too sacred to fuck with and change much?

BigAssBoy

I was hoping this would be a good retelling, not a 100% copy. Mulan isnt looking like it will be great after hearing that there will be no singing or Mushu.

Panda1

Banned
It was a manga and a TV anime.

Disney copied it to the T while still claiming The Lion King was an "original" creation.

They did the same with Atlantis, which was a rip off of Fushigi No Umi No Nadia.

Both are based on Hamlet, so both not really originaL

cryptoadam

Banned
Is it true that the can you feel the love tonight takes place during the day? LOL. I mean how hard would it be to color correct for night?

Also is this whole thing done in CGI? I know the animals are but they didn't even use actual real backgrounds? Everything on screen is CG?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just finished the movie and I’d say:

- The movie was pretty good. It’s 95% close to the original IMO. Just the way I like it. Like it much more than Aladdin.
- Nala sounds like an old person tbh.
- Why the hell does Can You Feel The Love Tonight take place in the day.
- My friend was commenting that the Scar song was edited, like they changed the lyrics.

Elcid

Banned
Saw the movie. My wife loved it. My son lost interest. My daughter liked it. I was bored and wanted it to be over. As a huge fan of the original who can watch it over and over again, this movie was just meh. Timon was the best part. Aside from Timon, young Nala, Pumba, Rafiki, and Mufasa, the rest of the cast's voice acting felt weak. I normally don't agree with the whole soulless crap critics spew but in this case I get it. It really just didn't capture the same essence of the original. They even omitted some very important lines like Mufasa's "You have forgotten me". Over all, not worth watching and I got the tickets for free in IMAX 3d.

JCK75

I mean it is a shot by shot remake of the cartoon, but that said it was basically watching the story as a breathtaking nature film where the CGI is so incredible it's almost impossible to forget it isn't real at points.
TBH we loved it and I think the Audience Score on RT is a better measure on this one than the critics score (as usual). This is a movie I can't wait to own in 4K bluray because the visuals are insane.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Was pretty good, but expect no more than a by-the-numbers 3D remake. It obviously looks good, if it didn't it'd be a disaster. If you're a Lion King fan you'll probably love this. My girlfriend cried three times. I thought it was fine.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Disney is too big to fail. they don't even have to try, they make money by literally going through the motions.

I give props to Disney trying something new. They are going for more realistic adaptions than classic cartoon stuff. So got to admit, effort is there for visuals.
lol are you fucking serious. yes, props for trying something new, a shot for shot remake of their two decades old shit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom