• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LittleBigPlanet BETA thread of hoo boy it's judgement time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
IGN is going to make us take video of ourselves dressed up as sackboys while we jump around like baboons and shake our arms wildly. Yeah ... they know some of us are getting desperate.

Wurm

Banned
What good is speed if one cannot race.

52b607.jpg

Behold the revolution of the Hedgehog engine, now in furry or metal flavours. No longer is your destiny cursed by the toggle switch being held back by G-force. Just grab hold to begin your incredible journey.

Now to construct a fiendish race-course for these speed-devils..

Fenderputty said:
IGN is going to make us take video of ourselves dressed up as sackboys while we jump around like baboons and shake our arms wildly. Yeah ... they know some of us are getting desperate.

somehow i dont think i would turn down that offer.:lol :lol

Wollan

Your level had a slight bump of some kind when it starts to curve upwards. Often I would crash there when I attempted the level earlier today.

Wurm said:

52b607.jpg

Behold the revolution of the Hedgehog engine, now in furry or metal flavours. No longer is your destiny cursed by the toggle switch being held back by G-force. Just grab hold to begin your incredible journey.

and to think i would have got to play this awesomeness if i wouldnt have gotten locked out. no big deal:D

;_;!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
gofreak said:
Basically I want to 'map' sackboy's controls so that instead of controlling sackboys, you can control other things you make..

Obviously you're still directly controlling sackboy, but then at the same time, it gives you 'indirect' control over something else.

So like if I want a vehicle that can go left or right with a push to the left or the right of the stick, it can do that.

It's actually quite simple to do..just carve a small space for the sackboy, and put two sensor switches on either side of the space, hooked up to wheels going left or going right, as appropriate. Make the trigger radius really small. So then when you push left, sackboy goes left and triggers the wheels to go left, and when you go right, vice versa.

If you don't want the player to see how sackboy is actually controlling it, you could put a facade up on the front to hide him..and make it look more directly like you're actually just moving the vehicle left or right. You want the space to be small so that the vehicle reacts immediately to the stick pushing back and forth (you want sackboy to basically be turning on a dime in there).

I have a simple version working, but it's not totally right..need it to go faster, I think something's wrong with my motor bolts and stuff...
Ooooh, so THAT'S why you were diappointed with how the push-buttons functioned when you press up against them. The proximity triggers are a good compromise ;)

Wow, what a brilliant concept! 1:1 vehicular controls (or pretty close). I guess if you wanted to make a tank, you could convert the floor in the "cockpit" into a sponge trigger. That way, firing the cannon would simply be accomplished with the press of R1. Or can that not be done? I haven't messed with the creation side yet.

Good luck on the project, can't wait to see it for myself! :D

Zoe

Wollan said:
Your level had a slight bump of some kind when it starts to curve upwards. Often I would crash there when I attempted the level earlier today.

I've had that problem on a few of the levels that had rocket vehicles. The suspension is really too rigid to take anything that isn't practically straight.

Flakari

Banned
Update with my level.

THE BEST LEVELS SO FAR

note: levels change pages

by GAF
(member name ..... level name ..... location)

duckroll ..... duckroll mobile ..... west Atlantic ocean (page 2)
chubigans ..... GAF-Lemmings Blox ..... north east of Canada (page 1)
JPBrowncoat ..... Windmill Fling ..... near New York (page 7)
JPBrowncoat ..... Shocking Cart Ride .....
Metalmurphy ..... Lunar Landing 0.8fixed WIP .....
Bliddo ..... The Traveler ..... eastern Europe (mushroom icon) (page 8)
McBacon ..... [GAF] The Mountain King .... Australia (page 1)
Greenland For GAF ..... south pole, green icon (page 7)
alterno69 .... Liquid Ice .... Mexico

HEDGEHOG engine Test ..... just north of Australia (page 3)
less faster n harder for neogaf ..... south pole (underwear icon) (page 9)
Ruins of GAF ..... eastern Europe (page 7)
Electric Madness ..... west of South America (page 2)
The Horror Of '44 ..... North Pole (House Icon) (page 3)
Escape from Super Ninja Island .....
GAF Truck Test .....
GAF Hype Train Beta 0.1 .....
TheNextBigThing .....
Sock-gra-la ....
Flakari ..... Phoenix Labyrinth ..... Midwest USA (Fire Icon) (page unknown)

not by GAF, but worth playing

Heist (Part 1) ..... near North Pole (pink icon) (page 1)
rollercoaster ..... Mediterranean (page 1)
Little Big UNCHARTED ..... Pakistan (between Europe and India) (page 1)
SMB1 ..... California (page 2)
The Great Escape (Escape Nazi Germany!) ..... ???
Escape The Cave! (multi-tiered level) .....
Temple of the Damned ..... Indonesia (page 5)
Icy Time trial ... South Africa (page 1)
Coco's Fun House .....
Dinoland ... Canada (page 1)
crazy wild west .... east of Canada (page 2)

lol

Xbox 360 button ... north pole (page 1)

quote, remove quote-tags and add more (with rough location !)

itxaka said:
I want to cry :_(

It's only rapping granny an me? Are we the only ones who didn't get a code? Are we the Omega Men?

me too!, but at least it seems a couple people from yesterday seem to have got one outta nowhere.

we will get our chance!
on oct 21 :p

Cartman86

Banned
VGChampion said:
:(

So I'm working on a level that's taking awhile and I start putting stickers all over this one piece of wood. Eventually it says I'm out of sticker space and it started deleting my older stickers. So I went back and rewound my level to the point I started placing stickers on my wall pretty much.

I knew the stickers I had earlier in the level were back so I just took a big piece of wood and highlighted over the stickers I'm deleting and press triangle to delete. Sadly, I guess doing it that way froze my PS3. :(

Long story short, don't delete big batches of stickers by just deleting the object with another material. It could freeze your game.

Ugh. Does this mean some of my ideas are not possible? I basically was going to paint everything in the level a solid color using stickers.

Kandinsky

Fenderputty said:
The sad thing is i would do that:lol

Loudninja said:
LBP beta key dates so far:
Gamepro-Monday - 1250 Beta Codes
X-Play-Tuesday - 2000 Beta Codes

Is it safe to assume Gamespot and IGN should have way more than those 2 sites? I mean 2000 for XPlay? AND 1250 FOR GAMEPRO? F'N GAMEPRO?

If nobody gives anything away today, I will officially give up.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Catalix said:
Ooooh, so THAT'S why you were diappointed with how the push-buttons functioned when you press up against them. The proximity triggers are a good compromise ;)

Wow, what a brilliant concept! 1:1 vehicular controls (or pretty close). I guess if you wanted to make a tank, you could convert the floor in the "cockpit" into a sponge trigger. That way, firing the cannon would simply be accomplished with the press of R1. Or can that not be done? I haven't messed with the creation side yet.

Good luck on the project, can't wait to see it for myself! :D

Yeah, adding a little sponge in the cockpit would let you control something else with r1...

I have this sort of working, but the physics kind of mess up sometimes. Like right now I have a vehicle that goes left when I push left and right when I push right, but at different speeds in each direction..as if there were more friction going one way or something..even though all the bolts are the same speed/tightness..

On a slightly related note, is there anything like a piston that only goes in one direction? I'd like something that pulls one way only when I hit a switch..and doesn't go back in the other direction then..

dork

Banned
So gamepro and xplay are the only places so far? And gamepro's signup doesn't even work.

I really want to play ugh, and see some of the gaf levels

Cartman86 said:
Ugh. Does this mean some of my ideas are not possible? I basically was going to paint everything in the level a solid color using stickers.

it may be the build we have. because the ones used at Parsons Event had lots of stickers on their creation.

they really need a simple Paint tool that has some colors, a transparency slider, a fill bucket and an erase tool. ;(

TheExodu5

Banned
aj2good4you2 said:
and to think i would have got to play this awesomeness if i wouldnt have gotten locked out. no big deal:D

;_;!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You got locked out since last night!? :O

dork

Banned
Never again at a conference do I want to hear Sony or Microsoft talk about a Beta. They always turn into shit fests.

Captain Pants said:
I've almost given up hope with regards to getting into the beta. What the fuck are IGN, GS and 1up doing?

No kidding, I almost forgot about 1up since they have been SOOOOOOOOOO quiet, that is the one site that has not had any rumors or speculation concerning beta codes. Really weird.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Man, the only reason I would like to buy this game is just to play the lvl you guys are fucking making. The lvls look fucking awesome, I don't have one ounce of creative mojo so that is why I am not looking at this game that much for purchase this fall.

Wurm

Banned
Wollan said:

Yeah, its quite hard controlling rocket stuff, but I think thats half the fun. But now you can throttle it more rather than straight acceleration. I already tried to smoothen it a load before publishing, but I've started from scratch here. Wondering what kind of geometry is going to make for the best race..

Metalic Sand said:
Wurm whats the name of your level? Also what planet is it on. Havent crome across the sonic one yet.

My levels the HEDGEHOG engine Test one.

TheExodu5 said:
You got locked out since last night!? :O

unfortunately:(. after i played with u i played with the same guy that shared with me, but then the lvl froze and when i restarted the game i was locked out and still am. ;_;

Dragon

Banned
Elbrain said:
Man, the only reason I would like to buy this game is just to play the lvl you guys are fucking making. The lvls look fucking awesome, I don't have one ounce of creative mojo so that is why I am not looking at this game that much for purchase this fall.

I'm not very creative either. Trust me man. I played with a friend local and a friend online and just playing a VERY simple level over and over again lasted us hours.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
rhino4evr said:
How long before a LittleBIgPlanetLevelCreator.com?

Really we need a place to organize and comment on everyone's levels.

I'd be tempted to do something like that (if I could tear myself away from the game for long enough..) but the final browsing system might make that redundant..particularly if there's an official web interface for it.

Dante

Wurm said:
Yeah, its quite hard controlling rocket stuff, but I think thats half the fun. But now you can throttle it more rather than straight acceleration. I already tried to smoothen it a load before publishing, but I've started from scratch here. Wondering what kind of geometry is going to make for the best race..

My levels the HEDGEHOG engine Test one.

Dude, Your level is sooooooooooooooo hard :)

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
TheBranca18 said:
I'm not very creative either. Trust me man. I played with a friend local and a friend online and just playing a VERY simple level over and over again lasted us hours.

Well damn, might get this game it looks ace.

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
Is there something I'm not getting with the emitter?

Have a switch, connect it to the emitter, if I set the max to infinite it will work properly but, if I only want the thing to emit 1 item I hit the switch and nothing emits. Even if I set it to a high number like 100, it still won't work, only after I set it to infinite will it continue to work properly.

The only solution I have right now is to attach a bomb to the sensor that blows it up after it's activated the one time, but that's not very practical.

tehbear

rhino4evr said:

The game really needs to do this itself. It's not a good community when information is dispersed in so many places.

Ryuartyi

Banned
It's been interesting watching Flakari make his level, it's made me a lot more sound on my pre-order. I can't wait to get my hands on the level creator, but he's taking up most of the time with his "impossible" level.

The rocket-cars are my favorite part about this so far. So fast and crazy, it's awesome.

I'll make a course soon.

megateto

rhino4evr said:

If it's needed, it would be a failure for MM, so let's hope as gofreak said that their browsing system renders that possible web page useless.

Billen

Banned
The amount of wantbetaness emanating from my body right now is downright scary. Please keep posting pictures, videos and opinions, and a big thank you to all that have.

SolidC213

Wurm said:

52b607.jpg

jesus! i cannot stop smiling!! just looking at that makes me all giddy like a school girl :D You really can make ANYTHING :D :D :D :D :D :D
i just got my Beta key today i CANNOT WAIT!!! im thinking i might duck out of work early to go and start the DL lol.

Estival

I keep getting pop-ups in the middle of levels saying "Game disappeared." Has this happened to anyone else, or does anyone know why it's happening? I haven't shared the game with anyone.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
gofreak said:
Yeah, adding a little sponge in the cockpit would let you control something else with r1...
:O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom