• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LittleBigPlanet USER LEVELS thread.

Teknoman

I really need to get back in level making, but for those who havent already...try my levels. They were just made in beta but have a few replaced textures/music tracks added to them now.

Dont want to really create until I 100% everything.

Oneself

Holy hell!! I'm gonna finish the single player game ASAP so I can fully enjoy the online/making of - part of the game. It looks fuck-awesome.

crops55

Wow, great job fellas. I feel much better knowing that I won't have to sift through the seemingly endless amount of rocket car and trophy levels to find maybe one or two heart worthy levels every hour.

Wurm, I played your level before I went into work today. You really have a good aesthetic eye, I love the look and feel of the level. Its challenging, fun, and fair (most of the time). I made it to infernophant who proceeded to demolish any chance I had of beating your level before I had to leave for work. He's mine when I get home though. Very cool level, looking forward to playing the next installment.

I can see how people are getting frustrated with the frogs, however with a little patience they really aren't that bothersome. Took me two lives to get past, but it certainly didn't hamper my experience at all. If you were looking to please the masses, you could still retain the challenge while reducing the moderate awkwardness of jumping on the frogs. Perhaps just a slight tweak to their speed would compliment the game's physics much better and then add in a different obstacle in some shape or form. Just a suggestion, as I don't really think they are that big of a deal as some people on your comments page are making it out to be. Either way, hell of a job overall.

Looking forward to playing more gaffers levels in addition to the rest posted so far in this thread. I love the format and interest so far.

Wurm

Banned
crops55 said:
Wow, great job fellas. I feel much better knowing that I won't have to sift through the seemingly endless amount of rocket car and trophy levels to find maybe one or two heart worthy levels every hour.

Wurm, I played your level before I went into work today. You really have a good aesthetic eye, I love the look and feel of the level. Its challenging, fun, and fair (most of the time). I made it to infernophant who proceeded to demolish any chance I had of beating your level before I had to leave for work. He's mine when I get home though. Very cool level, looking forward to playing the next installment.

I can see how people are getting frustrated with the frogs, however with a little patience they really aren't that bothersome. Took me two lives to get past, but it certainly didn't hamper my experience at all. If you were looking to please the masses, you could still retain the challenge while reducing the moderate awkwardness of jumping on the frogs. Perhaps just a slight tweak to their speed would compliment the game's physics much better and then add in a different obstacle in some shape or form. Just a suggestion, as I don't really think they are that big of a deal as some people on your comments page are making it out to be. Either way, hell of a job overall.

Thanks a lot. I feel like I've created some kind of Gamer Brain Experiment with the Frogs though. It really shouldnt be that hard, especially now I've removed virtually all hardships right at the start with the inititial frog and even tweaked the 1st of the 4 bouncing frogs so it throws you higher in the air with more chance to reach the next. But its like... 8 lives checkpoint isn't enough for people to beat it? Its weird. Its like theres a part of their brain that hasn't clicked with how momentum works in the game yet. Believe it or not I'm on like the 5th or 6th iteration of making it easier.. At this point I'm just gonna be resolute and tell people they suck :lol

Jaeyden

Wurm said:
Thanks a lot. I feel like I've created some kind of Gamer Brain Experiment with the Frogs though. It really shouldnt be that hard, especially now I've removed virtually all hardships right at the start with the inititial frog and even tweaked the 1st of the 4 bouncing frogs so it throws you higher in the air with more chance to reach the next. But its like... 8 lives checkpoint isn't enough for people to beat it? Its weird. Its like theres a part of their brain that hasn't clicked with how momentum works in the game yet. Believe it or not I'm on like the 5th or 6th iteration of making it easier.. At this point I'm just gonna be resolute and tell people they suck :lol

The dynamic changes exponentially with the number of players in the level. The frogs are not difficult if you are solo, but they become harder with more players. I for one think it's a shame that we have to "dumb" down our levels in order to get players to the end. I place all the blame squarely on the camera not following the right player. Ughh. I kept hearing people tell me different parts of my levels were too hard so I played them all co-op and tweaked all the parts that seemed difficult. Now I read on another forum, someone says they loved my levels but didn't find them particularly challenging. Sigh...I'm working on my sixth level and can't figure out how to do half of the stage because I can't balance challenge and the desire to get players to the finish. I guess we have to make a stand at some point Wurm, I say stop with the tweaks and make it the way YOU want it.

Bebpo

Banned
Can someone do the fancy OP-style version of the level "Starstruck"?

It's one of the best user levels I played and no one seems to talk about it.

Clipper

OK, here we go on methods to get the header font using the latest version of GIMP (2.6.2).

method1.png

Windows users download the file from here and extract FreeType.exe from the zip and put it in directory "*PATH_TO_GIMP*\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins" replacing *PATH_TO_GIMP* with the directory where GIMP was installed (typically "C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\"). Then follow the instructions for 2.2 that I posted earlier.

For Linux users, try following the instructions here to install the FreeType package and then follow the 2.2 instructions.

method2-1.png

1: Create a new canvas (File...New...OK)

2: Select the text tool in the toolbar and select the options in the following pic. For colour, enter "555555" in the "HTML Notation" field.
screenshot.png

3: Click the text tool on your canvas and type your level's title

4: With the text that was created still selected, select Edit...Copy then Edit...Paste as New.

5: In the new window select File...Save As and save as a .png file

6: Upload your new title to an image server and link it into your post!

Jaeyden

Bebpo said:

Thanks Bebpo. :D That was my first level from beta. I'm about half way done with "Starstruck 2!" and hoping to have it published by the end of the week. Add me on PSN and I'll give you a preview if you want.

Ranger X

I made my homework tonight and found a couple more good levels. When i'll have like 10 levels I will update another list with pictures.

Now it's gonna be 2 days without much LBP for me because i'm going to see 2 Nine Inch Nails shows in a row! yeaaaah!!

Wurm

Banned
Bebpo said:

The OP states that in the Featured Levels theres only one per user, so to put their best level up for it. I suggested to Ranger X that maybe we add a "Levels also by this user:" section to each post if he's up to it.

I'm sort of hoping I don't have to keep bumping this :/ I mean there is an odd Mario romhack custom levels thingy right in the sticky topics, and I'd have thought this is all a bit more legit than that :lol

TuxBobble

[The Rock] / [TuxBobble]

My level is loosely based on the movie The Rock where a team of Navy SEALs infiltrates Alcatraz Island to neutralize a threat of VX poison gas being launched on San Francisco.

My level is located in North America, on the west coast (vaguely near Alcatraz), if that helps.

sajj316

TuxBobble said:
I'm just gonna throw this out there, but I just finished a level.

It's called "The Rock" and is based on the movie "The Rock" (go figure).

I was wondering if some LBP players from NeoGAF would mind playing through it and giving me some constructive criticism? It's very rough around the edges right now, and the background is very bland, etc. I just wanted to get it functional and playable for now.

If you guys wouldn't mind I'd really appreciate it. I also have an idea for modifying the 2x section that you'll find in the later parts of the level, but my idea was breaking materials/strings/etc. before, so I'm going to test it out a bit more before I implement it in my level.

Also, don't feel shy about hearting it--need those trophies too : p.

Thanks everyone! (Remember, The Rock, by TuxBobble!!!! : ) lol )

I'll try it out tonight :D

Wurm

Banned
TuxBobble, far be it from me to assume you did not read the OP for that is indeed a dangerous allegation to make, but you might find people will be more inclined to play your level if it is displayed in the same manner as the OP suggests, with a nice lovely header, some images and how to find it.

For instance, your friendly neighbourhood Wurm is not going to play people's levels more often that not if they do not describe where to find them or anything about the level other than "it is a level" and "it isnt really finished lol it sux trophies plz?"

TuxBobble

Wurm said:
TuxBobble, far be it from me to assume you did not read the OP for that is indeed a dangerous allegation to make, but you might find people will be more inclined to play your level if it is displayed in the same manner as the OP suggests, with a nice lovely header, some images and how to find it.

For instance, your friendly neighbourhood Wurm is not going to play people's levels more often that not if they do not describe where to find them or anything about the level other than "it is a level" and "it isnt really finished lol it sux trophies plz?"

You're right about that. I only included the trophies thing as a joke--I'm really just looking for helpful tips people may have on the mechanics and polish of the level overall. And it still might suck, but that's why I'm trying to enlist some feedback from GAF, one of the best gaming communities on the internet.

I'll try to get an image or two posted when I can but my webcam isn't great quality. (and I've never posted an image on GAF before so I have to figure that out still)

Thanks for the advice Wurm.

Ranger X

Bebpo said:

I chose to save some space and clutter by not feature more than one level per PSN ID.

In the guidelines of the thread though, i'm asking you guys to use the "find more by this author" option in the game. This and the hearting are the 2 things that are the most important to find good levels. Please use the options.

At some point there will be different levels featured in the opening posts of this thread. Starstruck might pop up at some point, I don't know.

Wurm

Banned
Fizzle said:
Ah what, no funny pun on thread title?

Boo.

I feel I put enough in-jokes into the Banner Header and Footer to earn respite from a convoluted topic title, but I can draft Shard in to write some completely inaccessable single sentence poetry to preface it if you really want! Or we could not and just say we did.

No hard feelings TuxBobble, just that its hard enough to get people to play your level anyway but without any real description of what youre going for with the level or eye catching images you'll be disappointed with the results. I'll try it out later, and I recommend tinypic.com for your image hosting needs!

TuxBobble

Wurm said:

Additionally, I just found out my copy of Gimp is giving me errors galore. So that will ALSO have to wait. Things just aren't working out in my favor today, lol...

I'll re-post when I can get the post looking better for it lol.

Should I not post for feedback, etc? I tried that in the official LBP thread, and I was told to re-post here. But here it seems like the only thing welcome might be finished products as well. Nowhere to discuss levels in the works?

Wurm

Banned
By all means, your edited post is a lot better. However, I would suggest you can the copywritten movie mentions unless you want your level to be moderated out of existence and all your hard work for naught.

TuxBobble

Wurm said:
By all means, your edited post is a lot better. However, I would suggest you can the copywritten movie mentions unless you want your level to be moderated out of existence and all your hard work for naught.

Yea, unfortunately I made the level during the beta just to test things out, before the whole copyright issue came up. Now it's based on the movie and hard not to mention the movie--if you don't get that it's from the movie it probably WILL suck, lol. (I even have deploying green smoke at the end!!!)

Just figured I'd throw it up there and see what people think before it gets annihilated...can't hurt really. I have to start on my next level at some point and so if I get feedback about what works/doesn't work in this level, I can use it to make a better second level.

That was my logic at least. That's why I'm not sure if this is the right place to post--I'm not intending it to be the most amazing/colorful platformer/etc. ever, I just kind of wanted some feedback about it.

You guys have got to get my 2 levels up there, the reviews have been fantastic. Both are very visual platformers with lots of atmosphere and original style.

My PSN ID: Filth_Flannigan

Level Name: "No Smokin While Spelunkin Complete GAF"

Level Name: "Sacrifice of the Serpent v.5 GAF" (this level is Mature = sacrificing snake parts)

Here are some pics of "Sacrifice of the Serpent": Sorry I took the pics in create mode. Many of these pics have changed quite a bit since I went to version 5, which changed a lot of the look and design of my contraptions/puzzles.

3008755906_ab7ba23761_m.jpg

3008755910_dc334ac27d_m.jpg

3008755930_1223163ff6_m.jpg

3008755942_d1b4c3789e_m.jpg

I can create a cool header with photos tonight. I also videotaped my levels and will have youtube footage this evening as well. Again, you guys have to try these out, you will not be disappointed.

Oh god, this thread is going to keep me very busy. Good work guys.

Hopefully I'll have my first level done for the weekend. Still gotta get 4 people together to get the last items from the story mode though, because I need some of those my my level :(

Wurm

Banned
I hope MM really do patch in Custom Image Imports, because I have a great idea for a level thats only going to be possible with custom images. Kind of worried someone else is gonna do it before me though, as its not a too "out there" idea..

Oh and if youre on soon Teknoman, I need to 100% The Temples and one last pesky item in Wilderness..

TuxBobble

Wurm said:
I hope MM really do patch in Custom Image Imports, because I have a great idea for a level thats only going to be possible with custom images. Kind of worried someone else is gonna do it before me though, as its not a too "out there" idea..

Oh and if youre on soon Teknoman, I need to 100% The Temples and one last pesky item in Wilderness..

If you want to go 2/multi-player for 100%, let me know. I have 100% now, and I remember where MOST items were...(though not all).

And as for custom images, I'd be excited to check that out, though technically you could just use a PS Eye and take a picture OF a picture...though if the movie Multiplicity is any indicator, a copy of a copy isn't perfect. (what a movie it was...)

EL Beefo

Jungle Jam/El_Beefo
-Platformer through the the jungle, mix of vertical and horizontal travel
-North America

junglejam.jpg

Cell phone + crt do not make good pictures.

TuxBobble

I'm just beginning to work on a replacement level for my level "The Rock" which will be taken down I'm sure.

Actually I'm not so sure because it probably will only come down if enough people play it haha...and it's not on track yet.

But I'll post again when it's in workable shape. It will have a bit more polish to it than my current level, so it'll be something more worth looking forward to, I hope...

Ranger X

hmmm....
Looks like Wurm is permabanned ( i don't know why).

Looks like the "Wurm's pick" feature for this thread was shortlived. lol

Just tweaked The Azure Palace with better multiplayer support (those without the key can use shields to help protect the key bearer) and made some other minor tweaks as well such as a "hidden" second blade... just in case.

Mirimar said:
Hmm, musical themed level I found for anyone that's interested. Creator took the time to animate Miku and Marisa to the tune of the song. Worth a look =)
Marisa Stole the Precious Thing
Level Name - NUSUNDE
Level Creator - CHOBBY
Location - Japan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7NuJJNXmrc&fmt=18

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u273/Kama151/LBP006.jpg
Wow nice and creative.
Ronal McDonald scares me.

For those who haven't seen it, that is from this: http://shatyou.hp.infoseek.co.jp/IOSYS_tohootomebayashi_loving.swf

EarthMusic
creator - EarthMusic
location - India/Pakistan

lbpem1.jpg
lbpem2.jpg
lbpem3.jpg

Very, very, very cool platformer/puzzler if you are into that kind of stuff, especially the puzzles. Highly recommended, plus the boss fight is pretty interesting.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ranger X said:
hmmm....
Looks like Wurm is permabanned ( i don't know why).

Looks like the "Wurm's pick" feature for this thread was shortlived. lol
How do you know when someone's perma'd? Looks like he's just banned to me. Surely they wouldn't perma for just asking for a key... :(

Ranger X

chubigans said:
How do you know when someone's perma'd? Looks like he's just banned to me. Surely they wouldn't perma for just asking for a key... :(

I don't know from here, it's him that told me he's perma-banned. He made the graphics for this thread so we exchanged Emails and PSN ID.

TripOpt55

Very good idea with this thread. I've been playing a lot of the suggestions. My favorites so far are the two Sackhouette levels, Wurm Lord Adventure, and Puzzlin Platformer. I really liked the bosses at the end of the sky Sackhouette level and the Wurm Lord Adventure. Really cool stuff. Oh and The Domain was good too. I liked the rotating room thing at the end. Hopefully, I'll come up with something cool eventually. It's just so time-consuming. Anyway, I'll keep and eye on this thread from now on for ideas. It's hard just sifting through levels expecting to find something. Better to have a level to look up.

Top Bottom