• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LittleBigPlanet USER LEVELS thread.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Played some really good levels this evening with gaffers (thx TTP, deepbrown, mazyx).

Hadn't really browsed new levels for a while, but was really impressed with some of the stuff and how sophisticated it's getting..and that it was so easy to happen upon with the search menus/

One, called Little Resident Big Evil 5: Welcome to Africa (Part One) is a great tribute to the game, some really nice touches and a great
sniper rifle moment at the end..grab the rifle and it brings up a sight to use to blow up some explosives

There was another called Colossal Mountain, a really good mountain climbing level..very well done..some insanely steep climbs.

A third was a non-interactive Rube Goldberg type machine called Cause And Effect 3. I think there's a series of them from the creator..really impressive, very sophisticated.

And finally there was another level Ironside: Of Sons and Daughters..some brilliant contraptions, but a really tricky and perhaps, cheap, end-boss. But still well worth playing.

The one thing that struck me about all of them was how well polished they were visually..really 'professional'.

(This post would contain pictures but PS3's browser didn't seem to want to play nicely with copy&paste from tinypic :| Trust me when I say these levels look and play great though).

Ranger X

Xenon said:
Thanks. I started this like two months ago but I got burnt out on the game. I seem to have the spark again but the flakey emitters are getting on my nerves already.

Hey! nice to see you active again!

Know what? I've been making a level for kids lately. I'm launching it very soon.

http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9359

Ultra Beginners and Girlfriends

APhoto_3.jpg
APhoto_4.jpg
APhoto_6.jpg
APhoto_5.jpg
APhoto_7.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nice looking level. It's tricky to get the balance right between 'good' and easy..but I'll be very curious to see how you do it :)

I think we starting to see quality over quantity :lol and alot less H4H

still working on a level that im going to keep redoing parts to make it better

and then they this one I just started on just going for a good look i not see any one do yet

dfdfef.jpg

2a8n86x.jpg

Blah, looking at all these levels makes me want to work on some new stuff already. Freaking life... :lol

Anyway, lots of good stuff out there. Love what you're working on so far jump_button. I want to download Cornish Yarg already though so I can mess with some stuff I have in mind for some upcoming levels, including an Azure Palace sequel.

Xenon

Ranger X said:

Thanks. I was playing a few of the better levels, thanks to your hearted list. But I don’t have the same steam I had a few months ago when it come to creating.

I like the look of your level. I'm sure my daughter will too. My request would be to add some scoring elements to keep the more advance players interested.

BTW for people looking for levels to play, I find checking the comments section of levels you like and clicking on the users who post meaningful comments can lead you to some great levels.

Ranger X

gofreak said:
Nice looking level. It's tricky to get the balance right between 'good' and easy..but I'll be very curious to see how you do it :)

That definetely is true. This was the exact challenge I wanted to give myself.
The level really is accessible (my girlfriend barely holded a controller in her life so far and she finished it.)

What I did for more experienced players though is a chance to score alot better. There are multiple secrets to boost the bubble score. And to reach those secrets you need to be alot more skillfull with sackboy and explore a bit.

beast786

gofreak said:
Played some really good levels this evening with gaffers (thx TTP, deepbrown, mazyx).

Hadn't really browsed new levels for a while, but was really impressed with some of the stuff and how sophisticated it's getting..and that it was so easy to happen upon with the search menus/

One, called Little Resident Big Evil 5: Welcome to Africa (Part One) is a great tribute to the game, some really nice touches and a great
sniper rifle moment at the end..grab the rifle and it brings up a sight to use to blow up some explosives

video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9iQxl88giA

Schrade said:
What the hell is this H4H stuff? It's been bugging me.

Heart for a heart it's just beging for the create trophy

:/ "if you heart me ill heart you back" it just lazy it not that hard to make a good level

Ranger X said:

Know what? I've been making a level for kids lately. I'm launching it very soon.

http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9359

Ultra Beginners and Girlfriends

APhoto_3.jpg
APhoto_4.jpg
APhoto_6.jpg
APhoto_5.jpg
APhoto_7.jpg

I'm glad you've made a novice friendly level. I'm always playing with my two kids (7 & 5) and they find a lot of levels too difficult. I will definitely be checking your's out soon.

The level I made for them only uses the front 3D plane and thats makes things much easier. I've not finished it yet, but it is good enough for them to play.

I do a lot of searches on kid's and children, not thought of using novice or beginner as a search tag. The problem is many levels are too short, too empty and too easy. It is a fine balance making an accessible level and one that is boring.

Ranger X

Hi guys and gals,

I finally finished my new level. As I always try to not repeat myself in my approaches, this one is also different from my previous levels. UB&G is intended for beginners, kids and your girlfriend that just started playing. It's kinda funny, it's cute (make me hungry actually) and I did put stuff for experienced players too. If you're good at exploring and with LBP physics you can score easily over 30 000 bubble points.

Have fun + any feedback is welcomed. I leave you with some better pictures.

UBNG01.png

UBNG02.png

UBNG03.png

UBNG04.png

UBNG05.png

UBNG06.png

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nice level Ranger..hungry now.. :p

Two bits of advice: 1) with the first red button for help, I wasn't able to actually get the right pop-up to show..it kept showing me the heart-character's talk..the red button might be too close to the character there to show its own when you hit triangle.

Also, maybe speed up the bit with the candy floss? Fewer, but bigger pieces perhaps? That was the one bit of the level where the momentum felt a little off..in terms of keeping the attention of someone new to the game, perhaps.

edit - also is the chocolate material a standard material? Not sure if I picked it up or not..haven't seen it used much anyway, it's a nice material too in this kind of level :)

Ranger X

gofreak said:
Nice level Ranger..hungry now.. :p

Two bits of advice: 1) with the first red button for help, I wasn't able to actually get the right pop-up to show..it kept showing me the heart-character's talk..the red button might be too close to the character there to show its own when you hit triangle.

Also, maybe speed up the bit with the candy floss? Fewer, but bigger pieces perhaps? That was the one bit of the level where the momentum felt a little off..in terms of keeping the attention of someone new to the game, perhaps.

edit - also is the chocolate material a standard material? Not sure if I picked it up or not..haven't seen it used much anyway, it's a nice material too in this kind of level :)

Yeah i'm aware of the first button thing. Doesn't really happen if you talk to heartdude and then press the red button. Doesn't happen either if ever you did not press the red button and came back later to press it. In short, new text bubbles always have priority. I might try to tweak the area though.

The chocolate material comes from the Valentine's pack. I thought it was underused for no good reasons :p

Teknoman

Ranger X said:
Yeah i'm aware of the first button thing. Doesn't really happen if you talk to heartdude and then press the red button. Doesn't happen either if ever you did not press the red button and came back later to press it. In short, new text bubbles always have priority. I might try to tweak the area though.

The chocolate material comes from the Valentine's pack. I thought it was underused for no good reasons :p

Reminds me of old school Mario World-Yoshi's Island, keep it up :D Wish they gave us some new music soon.

Ranger X

Teknoman said:
Reminds me of old school Mario World-Yoshi's Island, keep it up :D Wish they gave us some new music soon.

At least there's the create pack (free) that is supposed to come by the 23 of April.

mrbagdt

This isn't my level, posting it for a friend who's looking for some constructive feedback from GAFs finest (he lurks, can't post).

You can search for his level (The Great Hunt) or his PSN (tha_con). Here's some pics of his level. He can't post on GAF for obvious reasons :lol

df8v9y.jpg

m7f50j.jpg

hrdgcx.jpg

2dvk9l4.jpg

Yeah, I've played the great hunt and sent him a psn IM a couple days ago. I've noticed he's been working on it quite a bit. Will play agin soon and see the changes since I first played it. Was a good level with some neat effects.

gofreak said:
There was another called Colossal Mountain, a really good mountain climbing level..very well done..some insanely steep climbs.

Definitely, this was one really fun and really felt like an adventure climbing that big ass mountain :D

Just played an amazing GHZ level, Sonic the Hedgehog: Green Hill Zone by Kiminski. The loop-de-loop mechanism was very clever and got the job done! His Secret Garden level is really good too. Obligatory pics, and to show off my new SecretBonusPoint Sackboy!

11i3m1l.jpg

dy6juo.jpg

2n7qglv.jpg

Is it the Valentines Day pack that comes with the chocolate materials and a wings costume piece? Quite want them XD

RetroMG

So I have to say, this thread is my first introduction to LBP, and... wow. I ignored it when it came out because I didn't have a PS3, but I'm getting one next month, and... wow. This game is going to be #2 on my must-buy list. (Sadly, MGS4 holds the top slot.)

Slavik81

jump_button said:
Heart for a heart it's just beging for the create trophy

:/ "if you heart me ill heart you back" it just lazy it not that hard to make a good level
Of course, my level has 4 plays, 3 hearts and an average of 4 stars, after sitting up there for 4 months. Where as a friend has hundreds of plays in large part because he spammed the story levels with comments.
I'm not bitter! *sob*

They do it because its one of the most effective ways of getting people to actually play your level.

jump_button said:
Edge Tool your best mate in LBP Use grid when you need it the rest of the time use the Edge tool
Could you elaborate on how you'd use the edge tool for that?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I need to add/heart someone who has only the BEST of the BEST levels hearted. I haven't played LBP in two months and I need to catch up, can someone help me with that? ~<3

Ranger X

Jinfash said:
I need to add/heart someone who has only the BEST of the BEST levels hearted. I haven't played LBP in two months and I need to catch up, can someone help me with that? ~<3

I suggest to check Jaeyden's hearted list and mine. (RangerZero)

We both have like 10 pages of awesomeness for you.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
SecretBonusPoint said:
Just played an amazing GHZ level, Sonic the Hedgehog: Green Hill Zone by Kiminski. The loop-de-loop mechanism was very clever and got the job done! His Secret Garden level is really good too. Obligatory pics, and to show off my new SecretBonusPoint Sackboy!
2n7qglv.jpg
Awesome looking level. Will have to try it later.

vilmer_

I have a long list of levels I need to try here :D I couldn't believe the quality of the Silent Hill one. My jaw was on the floor the whole time.

if8ydl.jpg

Im really happy how this level coming along im going nut with B&W look long away from being done :/ still working on a level other then this

in game it look better all white are like one and i have light off screen so no shadows

Ranger X

jump_button said:
if8ydl.jpg

Im really happy how this level coming along im going nut with B&W look long away from being done :/ still working on a level other then this

in game it look better all white are like one and i have light off screen so no shadows

I'm really looking forward to play this level.

Ranger X said:
I'm really looking forward to play this level.

just trying to think of some good game play and so on

played your Ultra Beginners and Girlfriends level really well made level in look and play

update this week *fingers cross*

ernie

Ranger X said:
Have fun + any feedback is welcomed.

played your level with my 5 year old and we had some good fun, his bottom lip wobbled a couple of times when he couldnt do what he was trying to do but its important not to get everything handed to you on a plate and the level of challenge is fair

its great to find truly kid friendly levels because this game is so harsh in terms of difficulty for the young, despite visually telling them 'this is perfect for you'. luckily my boy will happily spend hours in create with me, electrifying anything i am stoopid enough to stand on =)

mr_nothin

Banned
With the introduction of the paint gun...they really need a robust enemy creation tool.
Including more AI behaviors and new ways to get around (not just legs but tires, threads and, *SMART* boosters, better legs). I'd also like to see enemies have the ability to switch back and forth between the different planes so I can have my enemies truly follow sackboy instead of having a player switch planes and render my turret useless ( i know it can be remedied with smart design but it'll make for interesting enemies and bosses).

I'd like to be able to set predetermined paths for enemies (would be useful for aerial enemies if we had them).

Im not sure if they added this with the MGS pack or not, but i'd like to see a follow command for guns/turrets...so that they always aim at sackboy and shoot at him instead of off into random spaces.

I'd also like to see proper vehicles that we can actually control the movement of. Instead of having to hold down a switch which renders doing anything else useless. Hoverboards, rollerblades, cars, trucks, etc.

They also need to just add a auto-scroll feature in the game. You know...at x point, scroll the screen this fast until it reaches y point then stop.

Also need a new tool to be able to lock sackboy to a certain plane. So I can have a section in my level where sackboy is restricted to 1 plane then after that it goes back to normal.

There's alot of little stuff they could add that would make this game ALOT better. But they REALLY need to focus on having a dedicated enemy creator for the game. It would make the game's replayability go to like infinity.

They should also have a community sharing center. Where people can post up pre-made items and share/trade them and get them rated. Then people could go in and search for "enemies" or "loop obstacle" or whatever and find some stuff so they dont have to worry about making it.

Just published my new level called Forbidden Swamp Ruins.

I hope you guys can find the time to check it out and hopefully enjoy it enough to heart it (and me) ;D. I'm only missing that one trophy for platinum and I'd really love to have since I enjoy the game so much.

My goal with this new one was to make a level that sort of reminded me of the earlier stages of the story mode in LBP. Even though I enjoy the extremely detailed and technical feats many of you have made, I guess I just have a soft spot for the "mild" levels (the Dinosaur Island series by Feistyfrog come to mind as examples).

Hope you guys check it out and enjoy it!

PSN: MoonsaultSlayer

will post pics tomorrow (hopefully).

Black & White Planet
by: Jump_button

where: Africa

- trying to push the style of my level more with this
- Black & White look
- and some good old Platforming

35085yt.jpg

257q1y8.jpg

mal2cj.jpg

Madman

mr_nothin said:
With the introduction of the paint gun...they really need a robust enemy creation tool.
Including more AI behaviors and new ways to get around (not just legs but tires, threads and, *SMART* boosters, better legs). I'd also like to see enemies have the ability to switch back and forth between the different planes so I can have my enemies truly follow sackboy instead of having a player switch planes and render my turret useless ( i know it can be remedied with smart design but it'll make for interesting enemies and bosses).

I'd like to be able to set predetermined paths for enemies (would be useful for aerial enemies if we had them).

Im not sure if they added this with the MGS pack or not, but i'd like to see a follow command for guns/turrets...so that they always aim at sackboy and shoot at him instead of off into random spaces.

I'd also like to see proper vehicles that we can actually control the movement of. Instead of having to hold down a switch which renders doing anything else useless. Hoverboards, rollerblades, cars, trucks, etc.

They also need to just add a auto-scroll feature in the game. You know...at x point, scroll the screen this fast until it reaches y point then stop.

Also need a new tool to be able to lock sackboy to a certain plane. So I can have a section in my level where sackboy is restricted to 1 plane then after that it goes back to normal.

There's alot of little stuff they could add that would make this game ALOT better. But they REALLY need to focus on having a dedicated enemy creator for the game. It would make the game's replayability go to like infinity.

They should also have a community sharing center. Where people can post up pre-made items and share/trade them and get them rated. Then people could go in and search for "enemies" or "loop obstacle" or whatever and find some stuff so they dont have to worry about making it.
Unless you have a very odd design, the bolded should be able to be done rather easily.

jump_button said:
Black & White Planet

- Black & White look

35085yt.jpg

257q1y8.jpg

mal2cj.jpg

that looks awesome. I bet it'll get 1,000 + hearts and plays while my new one still settles around 11 hearts. *cries*.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jump_button said:
Black & White Planet

- Black & White look

35085yt.jpg

As pretty and as platform-y as promised. Good work!

TripOpt55

jump_button said:
Black & White Planet

- Black & White look
That looks really cool. I'm going to check it out when I can. I just got back to working on my level again. It's not the level of any of your guys, but it's coming along pretty well. It is a jungle level which I realize is pretty generic, but I've been having some fun putting it together and have gotten pretty far making it. It's got a bit of Tomb Raider/Uncharted to it with some sections inspired by stuff like Contra and Megaman. Actually the Megaman part is only in my mind so far. Anyway, I just have one last section to go as far level design goes. then I just need to go back and do some of the visual type stuff. Maybe add some story bubbles.

Also, that beginners level looks cool. I like the style with all the cakes and stuff. Never seen much of it.

So, what do you guys do to get screens in here? Just some digital camera pictures of your TV?

TripOpt55 said:
So, what do you guys do to get screens in here? Just some digital camera pictures of your TV?
What they're mostly using is the in-game screen capture and uploading those pics to the HDD. I don't like using it as much considering it doesn't show ambient effects such as some lighting effects and gas (which I like using for effect to many's dislike =P). To each their own though.

Btw, good looking level there jump_button. Also Ranger X, the wifey and I ran through your level. She thought it was really cute and definitely fun. Good job!

Madman

donkey show said:
What they're mostly using is the in-game screen capture and uploading those pics to the HDD. I don't like using it as much considering it doesn't show ambient effects such as some lighting effects and gas (which I like using for effect to many's dislike =P). To each their own though.
I like how it looks, it just kills the framerate.

Ranger X

donkey show said:
Btw, good looking level there jump_button. Also Ranger X, the wifey and I ran through your level. She thought it was really cute and definitely fun. Good job!

I'm happy to hear that :)

TripOpt55

donkey show said:
Okay, not sure how that didn't cross my mind. I'm not using many effects, so, that should work.

Anton668

Pimping a level for a friend of mine...

The Secret of the Sack Templars..
By: Skars_187
Type: Platformer
Difficulty: Moderate

Its a decent level. Its not as hard as it seems. Way better than most of the shit out there. Give it a try.

Top Bottom