• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LittleBigPlanet USER LEVELS thread.

jump_button said:
Black & White Planet
by: Jump_button

where: Africa

- trying to push the style of my level more with this
- Black & White look
- and some good old Platforming

35085yt.jpg

257q1y8.jpg

mal2cj.jpg

That was truly awesome!

mr_nothin

Banned
Madman said:
Unless you have a very odd design, the bolded should be able to be done rather easily.
I dont want to have to create blockades and all that crap.
What if I want each sackboy to be assigned to his own plane at a certain section? So they can each face their own set of challenges for a certain part...
That's not possible as of right now.

Anton668

jump_button said:
Black & White Planet
by: Jump_button

where: Africa

- trying to push the style of my level more with this
- Black & White look
- and some good old Platforming

35085yt.jpg

257q1y8.jpg

mal2cj.jpg

Very nice level!

Madman

mr_nothin said:
I dont want to have to create blockades and all that crap.
What if I want each sackboy to be assigned to his own plane at a certain section? So they can each face their own set of challenges for a certain part...
That's not possible as of right now.
I think that could be done right now, using spawn points and invisible material to block each layer. An actual tool would make it easier though.

Slavik81

Perpetually Pumping Piston Platforming v2
The level has a running piston motif, and trys to keep the wood & checkerboard style.
DSCN0056.jpg

DSCN0057.jpg

DSCN0059.jpg

DSCN0062.jpg

PSN id: Slavik81

Ranger X

I suggest you guys 2 stops:

RangerZero
Jaeyden

This 20 pages of quality hearted levels for you. If you're not tired of playing good levels, there's more "level collectors" that I know of out there like Shearie for instance.

Meh. I think "good" levels have run their course in my opinion. I'm just so sick of those solid concrete walls with mechas with 17 different grab switches and way to many things happening that fuck up which plane you should actually be on. I appreciate the attention to detail, but sometimes it just feels too much.

for my levels from now on I want to try and have them follow on from the last one maybe end up with a story or somthing idk yet

and yeah I have yet to see a good user made boss :/ alot are just to much going on and you cant tell what plane you have to be on with alot firing all around with out much of a pattern to it

TripOpt55

So, I'm doing this level and I could use some feedback on this one thing. It's sort of like an Uncharted or Tomb Raider type thing. It's mostly platforming with a few puzzles around. Anyway, I want to hide some treasures around, so, there is something else to do besides just go through the level. I even made some optional puzzles areas and spots that are hard to get to to hide them.

My question is would it be better to just make them score bubbles and make it so you know you got everything if you say got 300 points (if there are 30 treasures). Or would it be better to make up some treasures and put them in bubbles? Or would it be better to give away some stuff from my level? I figure people really may not care about getting some random stuff I make.

Also, this is my first level, so, is there a way to reward someone if they say got all 30 point bubbles. Like say can I give them a prize at completion if they have a certain score. I know you can if they get all the prize bubbles, but I mean what about for points. Thanks for any input.

Jaeyden

Come play my newest level GAF!

Tye Dye!
Jaeyden

IM000427.JPG.w300h225.jpg

DSC01566.JPG.w300h225.jpg

DSC01579.JPG.w300h225.jpg

DSC01576.JPG.w300h225.jpg

DSC01569.JPG.w300h225.jpg

It's got a bit of everything for everyone. I know you'll enjoy it. Kind of a playground-esque bubble burner with a deep combo system for big scores. Really shows off some of the new lighting tools. Check it out.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Be aware you wont be able to complete user created levels which require to collect and use custom made stickers cos those stickers wont show up in your inventory.

Ranger X

Yeah it's best to leave this option on.

Anyways the "delete all" tool is very convenient. You simply heart the prizes you want to keep and then you can spam the delete all tool all day.

Xenon

I updated my kong tribute level. It now has functional ladders!!!!!

Level: Lilbig Donkey Kong
PSN: XenonHMW

Lidas

Neo Member
Hi everyone,

I think it´s time for me to stop lurking, and present my first try at a LPB level:

Subsurface Crisis

The level takes place on the ocean floor, and there are a few (fairly easy, I think) puzzles, and some "enemies". It is best suited for 1 player. First and foremost, the level is a design experiment. I have been trying different techniques to find that underwater "feeling". Not all ideas made it in, but I guess that is always the case. If I ever make a sequel, I hope I can refine the look even more.

If you would like to try the level, it is located right over Scandinavia. My PSN is Lidas.

Some screenshots taken with the in-game camera (they came out really washed out):

wfJyWRwQi.jpg

ACoRKttJW.jpg

txFnoNjWV.jpg

lRRdBsYjN.jpg

My inspiration was movies like The Abyss and of course other silhoutte levels such as the Sackhouette series.

Also, I am really impressed with the work presented in this thread. Now that I have finished my level, I can take some time to play all the awesome levels I have missed.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Very nice level Lidas!

Someone tagged it ugly?! WTF?

Anyway, I'd make one recommendation - add a spawn point at the top of that 'hill' before the final jump to the sub. I accidentally killed myself with that jump and had to go all the way back from the last spawn gate, which was just before the gun! It takes long enough that you should avoid a user having to do it twice.

The 'machine' puzzle took me a while to get right..but seemed so simple once I did get it, which I guess is the mark of a good puzzle :)

edit - also, if you're planning a follow up, I was just thinking you could have a great lighting transition with the new global lighting tool, from the darkness of the sea to the light of the surface.. :)

Also, how did you do the water-y effect?

Lidas

Neo Member
Thanks gofreak! I´m really happy you liked it.

To be honest, I didn´t even know that jump could kill you! I have made that jump at least 20 times during design, and I never died. I will definately add a spawn point up there :)

The water effect is created with layers of glass. There is actually a thin layer of glass constantly moving in front of the whole level. It caused all sorts of problems while designing the level, but I think it came out ok.

EDIT: Spawnpoint added on hill.

Darkpen

Banned
Man, so many intense levels around here. Just yesterday, I played some Japanese dude's level where you go to a hospital, die, and go to hell, and there's this one boss fight... just wow :lol the glass shattering and.... I wish I remembered the name, but I'm sure you guys have already played it or talked about it D:

And there's even a likable doggy character D:

wow my new level doing really well it on page 2 ^^ 1st time for me page 1 soon i hope 3k+ plays and 500+ favs

that Subsurface Crisis ill try when i get on next :) looking really nice

Dragnet

Darkpen said:
Man, so many intense levels around here. Just yesterday, I played some Japanese dude's level where you go to a hospital, die, and go to hell, and there's this one boss fight... just wow :lol the glass shattering and.... I wish I remembered the name, but I'm sure you guys have already played it or talked about it D:

And there's even a likable doggy character D:

Aaah tell me more! I wanna play this level :O

I was going through my backlog of hearted levels yesterday and finally played KingSword ep1 by Vegafoo, which was very good.

There are two more in the series.

What surprised me was how few plays the level has.

Although it has 300+ hearts, it only has 800+ plays. The level is of moderate difficulty, the lighting could be brighter, but I'm surprised with the low number of plays.

I though I'd spread the word for anyone that hasn't played it.

Here are some links

http://lbpreviews.blogspot.com/2008/11/kingsword-ep1-by-vegafoo.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMXK9nN0yE8

N.B. I have also posted this on Beyond3D and Rllmuk, I hope that is not breaking any ToS. Got to promote the good LBP levels.

Ranger X

Lidas said:
Some screenshots taken with the in-game camera (they came out really washed out):

wfJyWRwQi.jpg

ACoRKttJW.jpg

txFnoNjWV.jpg

lRRdBsYjN.jpg

My inspiration was movies like The Abyss and of course other silhoutte levels such as the Sackhouette series.

Also, I am really impressed with the work presented in this thread. Now that I have finished my level, I can take some time to play all the awesome levels I have missed.

I got to play your level. I love the looks.

TripOpt55

I finished my first level (other than the one I did in the beta which I locked). Anyway, I think it turned out okay... not sure. Here's the information:

Title:Our Brave Sack Adventurer: Into the Jungle
by: Keira84

Tree1.jpg

C1.jpg

WF1.jpg

Stairs.jpg

Hopefully, these pictures work out... I've never put pictures in a forum before.

Anyway, It's a platforming focused level with some puzzles mixed in. There are some optional tasks to get 5 prize bubbles and 25 hidden score bubbles around the levels. They were kind of supposed to be like relics and treasures in Tomb Raider or Uncharted.

So, any kind of feedback from you guys would be welcome. If parts are too frustrating or it's not obvious where to go or something doesn't work, please tell. Or if something just isn't good, tell me that too. It's very tough to test things on my own when I know what to do. So, any feedback would be good. So, any kind of constructive criticism is welcome. Hope you guys like it.

Ranger X

I finally played your level Lidas!

It's really good looking. Nice wheel puzzle there. Love the underwater effect. But 27 plays is really sad.

If you want more plays you need to republish (overwriting) your level as much as possible in the first seven days of its publication. This makes you pop in the cool levels and if you get enough plays and good rating, you can STICK to cool level pages and that point you will rank alot of plays and hearts.

Wowbagger

Ranger X said:
If you want more plays you need to republish (overwriting) your level as much as possible in the first seven days of its publication. This makes you pop in the cool levels and if you get enough plays and good rating, you can STICK to cool level pages and that point you will rank alot of plays and hearts.

I thought this didn't work anymore. It still works the first seven days?

Ranger X

Wowbagger said:
I thought this didn't work anymore. It still works the first seven days?

The way it works now:

In the first seven days of your publication (or old level republished on another spot), you count in the pool in order to replace the levels in the cool pages. The levels in the cool pages only stay there for seven days and are replaced for more active and best rated newly published levels.

Second thing. When you publish your level, it lands on the first page of the cool levels and then it drops down (takes around 15 minutes to basically disappear). But in the meantime you do this, you get plays. If you rake in enough rating, plays and hearts, at some point you will STICK in the cool pages.

When you stick it's because your level performed good enough. You might end up at page 12, 18, 28 though. If you want to climb the pages you simply continue to republish your level as much as you can for the rest of the seven first days. Each publication will rank in plays, hearts and such and the better your level perform, the higher it will climb in the cool levels pages.

After seven days, you don't count anymore for the cool pages. You simply drop down into oblivion. You still can republish and overwriting your level and you will still end up on page 1 but you will drop down as always after 10 mins and you will never stick again.

Wowbagger

Thanks for the explanation.

So this means it's safe to publish WIPs for backup purposes as long as you publish the final versions in new locations. Was wondering about that.

Ranger X

Wowbagger said:
Thanks for the explanation.

So this means it's safe to publish WIPs for backup purposes as long as you publish the final versions in new locations. Was wondering about that.

It's pretty cool. I got 5000+ plays with Ultra Beginners And Girlfriends.

TripOpt55

I tried Subsurface Crisis. It's really cool. A nice puzzle. Really good visuals. Nice work on that. Also, don't think I mentioned I played the Black & White level which was really well done. And I enjoyed the Beginner level with all the treats in it. Simple yet fun. Liked the look as I don't see those pieces/materials used very often. In fact didn't even realize some of them existed I don't think.

Ranger X said:
The way it works now:

In the first seven days of your publication (or old level republished on another spot), you count in the pool in order to replace the levels in the cool pages. The levels in the cool pages only stay there for seven days and are replaced for more active and best rated newly published levels.

Second thing. When you publish your level, it lands on the first page of the cool levels and then it drops down (takes around 15 minutes to basically disappear). But in the meantime you do this, you get plays. If you rake in enough rating, plays and hearts, at some point you will STICK in the cool pages.

When you stick it's because your level performed good enough. You might end up at page 12, 18, 28 though. If you want to climb the pages you simply continue to republish your level as much as you can for the rest of the seven first days. Each publication will rank in plays, hearts and such and the better your level perform, the higher it will climb in the cool levels pages.

After seven days, you don't count anymore for the cool pages. You simply drop down into oblivion. You still can republish and overwriting your level and you will still end up on page 1 but you will drop down as always after 10 mins and you will never stick again.

Thanx god they stop the republishing level cheat

my last level got on page one for one day just befor it got take of the cool page but it pick up like alot in that one day

cant help but to think if my sky town will had done better if it was publish now

mr_nothin

Banned
Madman said:
I think that could be done right now, using spawn points and invisible material to block each layer. An actual tool would make it easier though.
I dont want to have to force players to die in order for me to split the planes up.
This is actually what i'm starting not to like about LBP. The simplest of things have to be done yourself. And most of the time it's not just an easy solution. You have to think outside the box and this and that to get 1 simple solution done. :/

It should already be in the game by now.

I am glad that they've realized the above "problem" and have opted to create tools for those simple yet complicated problems.

Ranger X

jump_button said:
Thanx god they stop the republishing level cheat

my last level got on page one for one day just befor it got take of the cool page but it pick up like alot in that one day

cant help but to think if my sky town will had done better if it was publish now

Actually, the republishing always was putting you on the top page and you'd drop like 10 mins later. It's the reasons why you'd stick or not in the cool pages that were ambiguous.

Also, why don't you simply republish Sky Town but not overwriting your old?

Madman

mr_nothin said:
I dont want to have to force players to die in order for me to split the planes up.
This is actually what i'm starting not to like about LBP. The simplest of things have to be done yourself. And most of the time it's not just an easy solution. You have to think outside the box and this and that to get 1 simple solution done. :/

It should already be in the game by now.

I am glad that they've realized the above "problem" and have opted to create tools for those simple yet complicated problems.
The thing is there's so much stuff that could be requested that priorities, such as the infinite checkpoint and lighting changer, should be focused on. Basically, anything that doesn't have a work around should be their focus. Limiting multiple sackboys to one layer each is possible, it would just take some effort. Linking to a new level at the end of a level is not possible period, so they should take priority on stuff like that, no?

As far as the game's general creator, I like it. It can be a pain to get very simple ideas to work, but I think they found a great balance. It's all about how creative you are, and how deep your knowledge of the tools is. Things like the pinball games, vertical shooters, sidescrolling shooters, etc. show that if you know what you are doing, you can make just about anything.

Ranger X

Xenon said:
I've always just moved my level in place of republishing.

With the new cool levels system this doesn't float you on the top page anymore.
Quickest way to do it now is to enter your level on your, press start, save level, quit level, republish on top.

TripOpt55

Ranger X said:
With the new cool levels system this doesn't float you on the top page anymore.
Quickest way to do it now is to enter your level on your, press start, save level, quit level, republish on top.
So, you have to resave it first then publish over the old level and this won't reset your plays or anything. Sorry, fo the dumb question. I'm new to the whole publishing thing.

Also, if I edit some things and republish it, it won't reset the plays/hearts either right?

Oh and the early feedback from my level is that it seems very difficult. The people that finished it said challenging in the comments I think. Others tagged it Rubbish and Nerve-wracking I believe. When I was playtesting it myself it seemed alright, but I sort of know how to do everything so it was easier for me. I may make a few of the jumps early in the waterfall easier since somone mentioned those in the comments (in fact they might be on here... I think it was Wowbagger... thanks). If anyone ends up trying it, it gets easier past the waterfall. Also, since there are usually checkpoints before frustrating parts and it's possible to fall to earlier parts, it's sometimes better to just blow your sackperson up instead of going back through part of the level.

dont try and keep ppl happy they will be all way some one that say it to hard or somthing

unless they a big hole you fall down dont worry just make the level you want and how hard you want it to be

Ranger X

TripOpt55 said:
So, you have to resave it first then publish over the old level and this won't reset your plays or anything. Sorry, fo the dumb question. I'm new to the whole publishing thing.

Also, if I edit some things and republish it, it won't reset the plays/hearts either right?

Oh and the early feedback from my level is that it seems very difficult. The people that finished it said challenging in the comments I think. Others tagged it Rubbish and Nerve-wracking I believe. When I was playtesting it myself it seemed alright, but I sort of know how to do everything so it was easier for me. I may make a few of the jumps early in the waterfall easier since somone mentioned those in the comments (in fact they might be on here... I think it was Wowbagger... thanks). If anyone ends up trying it, it gets easier past the waterfall. Also, since there are usually checkpoints before frustrating parts and it's possible to fall to earlier parts, it's sometimes better to just blow your sackperson up instead of going back through part of the level.

When you overwrite your level while publishing you will not lose any stats. If you publish it on another spot you will start anew in matter of stats.

Wowbagger

TripOpt55 said:

You keep plays and hearts if you re-publish to the same location (overwrite).

Oh and the early feedback from my level is that it seems very difficult. The people that finished it said challenging in the comments I think. Others tagged it Rubbish and Nerve-wracking I believe. When I was playtesting it myself it seemed alright, but I sort of know how to do everything so it was easier for me. I may make a few of the jumps early in the waterfall easier since somone mentioned those in the comments (in fact they might be on here... I think it was Wowbagger... thanks).

Yeah... first time going left, I think... you have to jump onto three tiny platformers, then you jump right again. Jumping onto the tiny platforms seemed to require momentum, which is not good in combination with tiny safe landing zones. I kept jumping short, bumping into the side, cause I was afraid of building up too much momentum and jumping too far. :/

You should consider using the new infinite-life checkpoint, so players who enjoy trying until they succeed don't have to replay sections already mastered. Realizing they have to start all over, most players will just say "fuck it" and move on, regardless of how much they liked you stage up until that point. And, although only real assholes will give you a Rubbish tag, most will probably deduct a star or two from the rating they give you.

BTW, join the club! Most used tags on my first level are Tricky, Nerve-Wracking and Complex. Nothing wrong with that. Some asshole will always rate your level Rubbish cause he can't make it through, but unfair tags like that won't show up on the first page once you get a few more plays.

TripOpt55

Wowbagger said:
Yeah... first time going left, I think... you have to jump onto three tiny platformers, then you jump right again. Jumping onto the tiny platforms seemed to require momentum, which is not good in combination with tiny safe landing zones. I kept jumping short, bumping into the side, cause I was afraid of building up too much momentum and jumping too far. :/

You should consider using the new infinite-life checkpoint, so players who enjoy trying until they succeed don't have to replay sections already mastered. Realizing they have to start all over, most players will just say "fuck it" and move on, regardless of how much they liked you stage up until that point. And, although only real assholes will give you a Rubbish tag, most will probably deduct a star or two from the rating they give you.

BTW, join the club! Most used tags on my first level are Tricky, Nerve-Wracking and Complex. Nothing wrong with that. Some asshole will always rate your level Rubbish cause he can't make it through, but unfair tags like that won't show up on the first page once you get a few more plays.
Okay thanks a lot. I really needed some input. I know the exact part you are talking about and I'll make platforms closer a bit since it's easy to change without changing up much if anything else level design-wise. I started the level way back in January and kind of got away from it for a while, so, I didn't have the infinite checkpoint to work with. I may very well add that. I'll probably tweak that late tonight or later this weekend.

As far as the challenge, I wanted to make it challenging without being frustrating. That was the goal. Not sure if it was achieved, but I think it's pretty doable. But I get the whole quitting if you fail out. Sometimes I'll ditch a level if that happens unless I loved it a lot. Sometimes I'll come back to it since it's tough to do it over right away.

If you don't mind me asking, were the vines and monkey bars okay? Also, was it obvious where to go at the last part outside the temple? I tried to add some dialog to point out where to go in case people didn't get it.

womfalcs3

Banned
Jaeyden said:
Come play my newest level GAF!

Tye Dye!
Jaeyden

IM000427.JPG.w300h225.jpg

It's got a bit of everything for everyone. I know you'll enjoy it. Kind of a playground-esque bubble burner with a deep combo system for big scores. Really shows off some of the new lighting tools. Check it out.

Just played this one. Absolutely brilliant. Great job.

*Sigh* It's come to this.... Gaf, last time I checked I needed just 13 more creator hearts for my platinum. Have had the game since day 1, had it aced and completed a bit after that and have been sitting on 2 levels that are getting me nowhere. I guess since I don't spam "h4h" everywhere or constantly republish my level every five minutes when it has nothing to do with fixes and changes I'll never get it. So it's come to me begging for these hearts just to get it. I'm not even a trophy whore as I have plenty of games that I could easily play to gain some of it's easier trophies but I just don't care. But in LBP, I guess I do since it's the last one. Please, Gaf. I'd appreciate it.

Ranger X

MoonsaultSlayer said:
*Sigh* It's come to this.... Gaf, last time I checked I needed just 13 more creator hearts for my platinum. Have had the game since day 1, had it aced and completed a bit after that and have been sitting on 2 levels that are getting me nowhere. I guess since I don't spam "h4h" everywhere or constantly republish my level every five minutes when it has nothing to do with fixes and changes I'll never get it. So it's come to me begging for these hearts just to get it. I'm not even a trophy whore as I have plenty of games that I could easily play to gain some of it's easier trophies but I just don't care. But in LBP, I guess I do since it's the last one. Please, Gaf. I'd appreciate it.

But how is this message not demonstrating that you're a "trophy whore"? :lol

If you weren't a trophy whore you would simply not give a damn. Especially when it's only one trophy.

MoonsaultSlayer said:

make a good level's you soon get it -_- Iam close to get it all i need is the 3 player on F list and save a level with 30% with one others

you will get it when you get it

Wowbagger

TripOpt55 said:
If you don't mind me asking, were the vines and monkey bars okay? Also, was it obvious where to go at the last part outside the temple? I tried to add some dialog to point out where to go in case people didn't get it.

Yes, to both.

I thought the jump from a rotating to a disappearing platform when you have to reach a lever near the end was annoying. The disappearing platform disappears right as the rotating one has the best angle. Was hard to get the timing down. The round rotating platform and other disappearing platforms make that challenge hard enough without the first jump requiring such strict and hard to figure out timing. I was thinking "fuck, hope I make it so I don't have to do the first jump another couple dozen times". It's not lethal and I'd probably have figured out the timing more easily if I wasn't so tired last night, though.

TripOpt55

Wowbagger said:
Yes, to both.

I thought the jump from a rotating to a disappearing platform when you have to reach a lever near the end was annoying. The disappearing platform disappears right as the rotating one has the best angle. Was hard to get the timing down. The round rotating platform and other disappearing platforms make that challenge hard enough without the first jump requiring such strict and hard to figure out timing. I was thinking "fuck, hope I make it so I don't have to do the first jump another couple dozen times". It's not lethal and I'd probably have figured out the timing more easily if I wasn't so tired last night, though.
Okay. I figured that was the last part of the level so it should be tough. Again when you know exactly how to do it, it makes it seem easier. I don't know what I did but at some point the seesaw one's timing got a bit messed up. I may at least change it's timing. the rest should be easy from there I think. It might take a few tries, but otherwise I think it'd be alright.

I'll probably edit it, I just don't have it in me now. Not sure many more people will play it to be honest, but I'd like to at least tweak a few things.

MNC

Good thing my friend came over today to play LBP. Now it's in my PS3 and I have an excuse to start mapping again :D I did not find the infinite checkpoint, btw... Don't tell me that's pay-DLC :/

Top Bottom