• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LittleBigPlanet USER LEVELS thread.

Teknoman

b3lao4.jpg

eik2ae.jpg

s46e4p.jpg

oi82gn.jpg

2z71xtk.jpg

Also decided to work on the second stage in my Chiroptera Killer series, Sardnos Bog. Its been awhile since I made a castlevania/actraiser/ghouls style stage.

Mik2121

Welcome to the Arabian Nights, challenge edition!. Based on my own original stage I posted here a few weeks ago.

This time it's a challenge!. Yes! Play until you die or.. get bored ;P

How to find it:
  • PSN ID - Mik2121
  • Stage Name - Arabian Nights Challenge
  • Location - Around Egypt

Some of the stuff it features...

• Unique Challenge mode (or so I think!)
  • Day to Night cycle!
  • OK for even up to 4 players!
  • Music from the Monster pack
  • Themed photo-booth!!
  • Simple design! :) (like the Arabian Nights stage)

Here are some pics:

arabchallenge1.png

The Challenge begins!!

arabchallenge2.png

This is the themed photo-booth! Get your own pictures and upload them to the server/stage!.

arabchallenge3.png

It's getting darker...

Mik2121

Thanks!.

I hate how probably my level will be now almost impossible to find and almost nobody will play it, and horrible levels like that 'Dinosaurs Island' have like +100,000 hearts and +600,000 plays..

Even my other level, which took me quite long enough and isn't that bad (imo) has less than 1000 plays and it will probably won't get any further..

I know I'll sound like a whinny bitch, but I swear sometimes to have a level in LBP you only need to name your level something simple enough or just spam it all over the internet. Quality doesn't matter at all...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Mik2121 said:
Thanks!.

I hate how probably my level will be now almost impossible to find and almost nobody will play it, and horrible levels like that 'Dinosaurs Island' have like +100,000 hearts and +600,000 plays..

Even my other level, which took me quite long enough and isn't that bad (imo) has less than 1000 plays and it will probably won't get any further..

I know I'll sound like a whinny bitch, but I swear sometimes to have a level in LBP you only need to name your level something simple enough or just spam it all over the internet. Quality doesn't matter at all...

That's a perfect reflection of the videogame industry isn't it. Not much you can do about it really. Just name your next level "Easy trophies and naked babes".

Mesijs

Didn't pick up LBP for months but I promised the readers of Gamer.nl that they would get their own unique Gamer.nl level, the even voted for certain elements in the level.

So, I'm almost done with all my uni stuff and guess what I'm going to do: I'm going to make that level. It was almost done already last time around but on a PS3 in the office. Also, I would have liked to polish it more. So this will be The Gamer.nl Level and I'm gonna polish the heck out of it and make it quite extensive.

I'll update you guys about it and will ask for help frequently, as I'm not yet experienced with level building.

Teknoman

Bringing up an old question: Anyone know the best way to capture quality images with the PSeye, specifically images found on the net? Just printing them out then capturing them, or just take a picture of the screen itself?

Drac

So I did a concept level where you climb a tower and each floor presents its own challenge with its own play style.
Comments are welcome :)

psn id: Doraku
level name: The Test Tower
where: near madagascar (on the reunion island in fact), or at the south east of africa for those who don't know :D

Currently there is 9 floors, with some puzzle, rope, survival, plateform, ...
If you are bored, fell free to give it a go ;) some floor could be hard.

Teknoman said:
Bringing up an old question: Anyone know the best way to capture quality images with the PSeye, specifically images found on the net? Just printing them out then capturing them, or just take a picture of the screen itself?
LOL way old. :lol

Just get some good lighting and print them out. Natural light works the best.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I played the Arabian Nights challenge with Mik today, and the level kicked my ass :lol
Can't wait to play the complete version of the standard level :)

Teknoman

Man, sucks when you have to figure out what enemy types you want in your stage. Or at least how you want them implemented. I dont want to resort to using just stickers for faces...but some of them seem like nice short cuts.

btw any news on interest in the 50s sci-fi LBP stage project?

Oh and Donkey show, did you get the monster pack? If so, going to add the heartbeat noise to Alien Lair?

Ranger X

Mik2121 said:
Thanks!.

The real question is, do you want to take the necessary steps to get plays?
It's been 3 days my lastest level is published and I have more than 2000 plays already. My last level before that one got 5000+ during the first seven days.

The Cool pages are fair and square right now. You need to promote your level so you get plays. If you don't you go into oblivion, your level being shit or not.

Teknoman

Ranger X said:
The real question is, do you want to take the necessary steps to get plays?
It's been 3 days my lastest level is published and I have more than 2000 plays already. My last level before that one got 5000+ during the first seven days.

The Cool pages are fair and square right now. You need to promote your level so you get plays. If you don't you go into oblivion, your level being shit or not.

So what other steps? Stuff like youtube and other message boards?

Mik2121

I don't really understand the idea behind making a video of your stage. I mean.. the whole point of playing the stage is to see how it is and enjoy it.. but if you are already seeing it on youtube, whenever you go and play it you already know how it all works..

And really.. I've posted my stage here, on LBPCentral and the LBP official board. What else should I do? I mean, I see some fucking SHITTY stages getting tons of comments and mine getting nothing?. To me, this is quite retarded and as I already said, stages only get visits depending on how 'mainstream' the title is, and how less time you spend on it. Really, the less time you spend, the most plays you apparently get...

/rant.

Ranger X

The most important thing is not even to make a video or posting on a website.
It's republishing your level that will get you the most plays.

Get some people to get some initial good rating and hearts for your level when you publish it. (you can also do like us at LBP Central and team up for level launch, we give levels an initial boost that prevents your level from bein destroyed by bad raters online).

After you launched you level properly it's about republishing and advertising. Posting on website doesn't hurt but republishing puts you momentarily on top of the cool pages and that's where you'll rake in the plays.

When you level will have a certain activity going on, it will actually stick to cool pages (up until it's seven days since the initial publishing). My level Crazy Train level is right now sticked to page 3 of the cool levels and there's like a constant 5-10 people playing it right now. If it climb on page 2 or first page you can get a freaking lot more plays. People only play levels from the first 3 pages really.

Mik2121

See? That's why I think the system is freaking flawed. So the people who spend just a couple hours with one crappy stage and keeps republishing it just to get plays, will end up with +100,000, and the guy who spends weeks with one stage and makes a quite good stage (not saying my stages are quite good, but IMO they are better than some of the crap in the first page) and publishes it, will end up with about 20 plays?

Seriously...

Ranger X

Mik2121 said:
See? That's why I think the system is freaking flawed. So the people who spend just a couple hours with one crappy stage and keeps republishing it just to get plays, will end up with +100,000, and the guy who spends weeks with one stage and makes a quite good stage (not saying my stages are quite good, but IMO they are better than some of the crap in the first page) and publishes it, will end up with about 20 plays?

Seriously...

I totally agree with you. And I always said the community aspect of this game is quite totally broken. I'm not defending it. I'm just telling what you have to do.

It's pretty simple, it's either you do what you need to do to get plays or either you don't care about plays. Simple. Personnally I got used to the system and the republishing is kinda part of the fun. Last week-end I litterally republished my level every 30 mins or so.

Mik2121 said:

Seriously...

It take time for a level to work it way up my B&W level was working it way up to page 1 for about 2 weeks

best thing to do is publishes your level and tell use its be publish on here and just keep looking at it read comments see if any one fall down any holes and fix them

it will take a long time for a level to get up tp page one so dont try and cheat

Teknoman said:
I thought they changed that?

they did republishing a level dont restarts so they no point unless you are fixing a level, it only be back on the 50 cool page for about 10mins as far as i know.

republishing over and over will do nothing if anything i think it make it wrost

only republish if you fixing somthing

Teknoman said:
I thought they changed that?

Yeah in the old system you could republish over and over and it would refresh to page 1 of cool pages. Now the only way to get refreshed up is to actually change something in the editor and then republish over the same slot.

Once you stick to the cool pages though, you can't republish to get moved up (I'm pretty sure). It's up to the level to hold it's own weight from that point on to move up to the lower pages.

MisterAnderson said:
Yeah in the old system you could republish over and over and it would refresh to page 1 of cool pages. Now the only way to get refreshed up is to actually change something in the editor and then republish over the same slot.

Once you stick to the cool pages though, you can't republish to get moved up (I'm pretty sure). It's up to the level to hold it's own weight from that point on to move up to the lower pages.

yeah he right when i was keep a eye on my B&W level it was on page 16 and it slowly worked it way up to 15 and so on

hearts+plays+stars all add up so your level get on page one nothing you can do but make a kick ass level and wait!

OchreHand

hmm.. how do you trigger the dissolve material to dissolve what it's glued to? all my attempts just have the dissolve material disappear but not the actual object.

I have finally finished my first level:

Kid's Easy Fun - Beginner

Made especially for my two kids. They have play tested it to death, so at least I can be confident that everybody that plays it should complete it.

Now I just need to publish it!

Looking a recent threads is seems that there is no special approach to ensure maximum time on the Cool Pages. Just publish and be damned.

My PSN ID: NickLaslett

It will be going up later today.

Mik2121

OchreHand said:
hmm.. how do you trigger the dissolve material to dissolve what it's glued to? all my attempts just have the dissolve material disappear but not the actual object.
First glue it all and then connect the switch to the dissolve material and it should work.

Btw Ochre, do you have any stage uploaded? I would love to see them :D

Madman

OchreHand said:
As in, how do you get a regular material to seemingly be dissolved? You have to use a "brain" attached to the object that you want to dissolve with a one shot trigger attached to the brain. This will destroy the brain and the object it is attached to.

Ranger X

Nick Laslett said:
I have finally finished my first level:

Kid's Easy Fun - Beginner

Made especially for my two kids. They have play tested it to death, so at least I can be confident that everybody that plays it should complete it.

Now I just need to publish it!

Looking a recent threads is seems that there is no special approach to ensure maximum time on the Cool Pages. Just publish and be damned.

My PSN ID: NickLaslett

It will be going up later today.

If you want plays, gather some people to give a boost to your heart and rating score. Then republish, republish and republish until you don't give a damn anymore or its 7 seven days since your first publication.

OchreHand

thanks for the help Mik2121 and Madman !

Btw Ochre, do you have any stage uploaded? I would love to see them

yesss... i actually just published my first level. i hope it doesn't reek of "my first level" syndrome but if you want to check it out: Search text for "Mamma's Kitchen" (it's under my PSN name FunLabor)... it's a survival game with falling strawberries. You'll see why I asked about the dissolve question :D

Dragnet

Time to pimp my first level on gaf :D

Name: Rootnin' Tootnin' Puzzles!
PSN ID: Dragnet

I've had this level on and off since the beta, but only recently got the motivation to finish it up. When I first heard of LittleBigPlanet, I got images of being able to edit the level whilst in it, and as Mm have stated they had a feature that let you do that but they dropped it. This level kind of plays to that, you fit together blocks to fill in holes in the ground so a barrel of alcohol can pass over!

Whilst making it, I also decided I wanted to create a platformer/technical puzzler based in some caves, and also a western themed cart ride that uses only realistic physics, no rockets and whatnot. I ended up doing a Molyneux and being too ambitious, so every one of my ideas is only half of what my original vision was for it, which bugs me. It also means that the gameplay itself is kind of 'meh' as I had too much to do and couldn't focus on tightening up every little aspect.

So it's kind of a mish-mash of a lot of ideas I've had over the past few months. It even has a rickety old bridge! Anyway, some pictures to whet your penis appetite?

APhoto5.jpg

APhoto4.jpg

APhoto7.jpg

APhoto6.jpg

APhoto2.jpg

APhoto1.jpg

APhoto8.jpg

APhoto9.jpg

You may notice some bugs, some areas that are bland and whatnot. This is because I maxed out the thermometer way earlier than I expected. I did everything I could to optimize it but that's as good as can get it. That's also why the cart bit is so short. It was meant to be waaay longer, but alas..no thermometer space :(

Have fun! I think by typing all this I've hyped it up too much..don't go in expecting greatness, it hasn't reached my gold standard! :D

Dragnet nice looking level good idea but i had to restart when i let barrel go and they want into the holes no way to get them out :( but other then that good just fix it so they dont go unless you gave everything right

Dragnet

jump_button said:
Dragnet nice looking level good idea but i had to restart when i let barrel go and they want into the holes no way to get them out :( but other then that good just fix it so they dont go unless you gave everything right

Hm..maybe I should put a hole just big enough for barrels to fall into at the bottom of each puzzle hole in case any fall through? There's no other way of doing it, plus I have no thermometer space left..this could be interesting. Thanks for playing though!

By the way, when you did the cogs puzzle near the end, did barrels feed through in the tunnel beneath you? Sometimes for some reason the emitter just doesn't work and they don't come out!

Edit: ok, I've added holes for the barrels to fall into and also reduced the amount of barrels that can be emitted at once. I've also added a message after you insert the 2nd block on the first puzzle reminding the player to go back and grab the switch. I've added some more checkpoints in the caves too where I forgot to add some. :D

TuxBobble

I'd love it if I could get a few people to play my levels.

They are
"The Rock" http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/320103.html
and
"Everest" http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/321043.html

and are authored by my PSN (TuxBobble)

I think Everest is at least a pretty good attempt at a level--The Rock might still need a little polish. Let me know what you think, if you get a chance to play them. (I have videos of the levels, but am hoping people will play them rather than just watching!!!)

Ranger X

your movies never load for me. Must be because i'm at the office but normally Gametrailers stuff does work.

oh well, i'll try to play your levels at home sometimes this week.

TuxBobble

That's odd. Don't see why they wouldn't load. I just loaded one myself and it works fine.

Sorry for the inconvenience--maybe YouTube would be a better place to upload in the future? I'd appreciate any level-creating advice/comments--like I said, the levels are pretty solid, it's just that no one plays them--99 plays is not a whole lot, especially when you look at all the "Trophies in 30 seconds!!!" levels that get played a million times, 4 stars, and hearts galore...

Xenon

Level:Scorer's Playground

PSN: XenonHMW

This is a short level of a modified version of the playground in my reading level. Almost every bubble on the level can be done on a single chain, in theory anyway.

300qfsl.jpg
16baa6w.jpg

2gud4at.jpg

Robot Town 2
by: Jump_button

where: EU

- trying to push the style of my level more then the 1st one that got a mm pick for how it look ^^
- Some gameplay that i never see any one do yet cleaning up
- Acid Rain

aphoto6y.jpg

aphotor.jpg

aphoto4e.jpg

Dragnet said:
I've got rid of all the stickers but the door won't open dude..

just play it and open up just fine! all the stickers can easy be see you get get sound and a green light as well as a zoom in on the door you sure you got every one of them off and didt put any new one on?

Dragnet

jump_button said:
just play it and open up just fine! all the stickers can easy be see you get get sound and a green light as well as a zoom in on the door you sure you got every one of them off and didt put any new one on?

I can't get it to work man! There must be a sneaky one around somewhere that I can't find!

Top Bottom