• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - 15 Years Later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the lame-ass bump, but I came over this thread and this post in particular.

Im missing something here. Isn't the only way Sauron can get "whole" again like in the pictures with the ring and not be "the eye" all the time? So Frodo must have failed and Sauron gotten the ring.

There were a few reasons this was a bad idea.

Thank you Edmond dantes wherever you are. Would not be the LoTR fan I am today without guidance from his post. This thread is fun to go through and see. Will reread sometime soon likely.

The biggest issue with the Hobbit Films was that Jackson had less time to work on them as a whole vs LotR. Jackson supposedly wanted to do one Hobbit film, Studio wanted Two, Jackson filmed enough for 2(+Extended Editions), but then WB went "JK we've planned for 3" and Jackson was left to try and stretch one book he had filmed into 2 parts over 3 films.

Honestly, while the films aren't as good as the OT, they're definitely not "bad". The issues stem from Jackson wanting to Wield the Hobbit's era to LoTR, but having nowhere near enough time to work with the changes.

If Jackson had been given until 2014( as opposed to under 2 years to rewrite what Del Toro had, replan, etc) The Hobbit would have been better for it.

That said, The LotR Trilogy is a fucking Masterpiece of moving parts in a genre that (regrettably) is full of shit. That it turned out good was thought impossible: that it turned out the way it did was a miracle.

16 years of living in Middle-earth. Those movies changed this country forever... or a long time at least.

The monuments are scattered all over the country, no matter where you are you're never far from a landmark. Edoras is just an afternoon drive from here!

9Z1L99F1trjZ5Dr76qqNn6R4ciflbZcEbLlqoT9D8yRzrnYUuUhSeTUsaIKIdDR1ezJxK_j9GGaT_V5JUliPFOg3NtHKfpneLIbFtVRjXhrCl96WsJlCW21NRE472IhZ9JXHfJrXCRj49n4fAryTZripH731agbIBYLRAsgtSEPOiVwnN22U4_5WCX3TxzFWLQqSnQ2WiIjn214CEAYGb9qD9aNGe4EWimagJnVb26Y845HD2Sg-5cXbIq-xXBsHfl3jyz8dyfjqt2vxwpSU4dKcEmMqFIT06gZGp0-Mdan0Fs2_Nkq6XMUFqCMM2e6s2eB49hE8O-ESVW-0829DEftM3ZXWwDoLQcgb-RvhY4hgcwHgFtRbqLbrLBc_TYeSaLR46famzdxnG83dKBF6n7O7IEC1SQ1pAvjPQrj9xNgg5vb5fVSQqj4qbhfqpK5kFLOmPc4z1NtsuxEyyIZEozWmD7z3vmVSz-ik1Ieb3SDUxwDPz-07TzUkDvcuU2adChGdmgqPj4BQSFjpOUzlXLDfAdqIUjvPk8yi7C_H6omPKVSj97DvOTPQQSwDlYDp54L7Qno6AXKs2RwW5okbMUwDckCWFPON5_vLhjttWL9s1Be9NB5PvA=w1921-h670-no

xVV5nuDKfcXflRZzwHb5Dj6rdyb7qaIzSboNkPwxtRsYhBO4l_MDX7yzsA2s9QhYNePMdZUovxeVvuC7FxRgBKutKItkoIG-eBtY80Reo4Z4GpSefAru2TXdrDTwUfINuyakV8zcQGYUwr3QcJe8bSqqrs1Srb1e_29uYQtpUz3bYIvrmxdbKtEG6u_iOplEVMYYt854kiL9zFc-VVzs4xiUfaONkWcT3IwJVAPWlg29f_7JzUYrd2ihqi_jlUKA2QFtxC3wdHD1vXjhHbOYxBgIDEWdERxyJil0pd8UPgz8O5bKCE4N5Jlmb94Prp9QZRK5_tj63llknvFZjuVPOOZ7wpDdmHccfI_nmfrpVqvmWJuDwnnRzDl7jXJdKHwKg2O1vKWK_lf2kIiF2fDzFn6R8ZLDUpuNnCSFAcFcEGuisyZoCGcIcVBQLLB3-ATXfDfAn9Rc7UcEKm3fAcuYPTSD7Z7p1DokDAKQbt7aUuke1rov16y5F48m3ticyJ-tSeErbdT5GaK8kdFFzV1-CuL9hFzBXS5V0ApxWNmPeKIZjrpel9mAZlgeqGhQfzpOCgzViOAp14r08CALUK0wfH-GXJvlszsV3VkHR_smoFm5yuIZAwxAYQ=w1202-h902-no

Baskcm

Love the part where Aragon deflects the sword in mid air making it all the more bad ass that it was a real sword as well

My only singular gripe about lotr would be like, the threat from mordor never felt characterised enough.

Like all these monologues of fear from multiple actors about a threat in the east. But I mean ultimately that threat boils down to a bunch of orcs merging brick walls.

I really enjoyed the world building in the first one though.

Loxley

Sorry for the lame-ass bump, but I came over this thread and this post in particular.

Im missing something here. Isn't the only way Sauron can get "whole" again like in the pictures with the ring and not be "the eye" all the time? So Frodo must have failed and Sauron gotten the ring.

You're right in that Sauron could not take physical form yet, which is part of why that scene was cut from ROTK. Mostly though, Jackson realized during editing that having Aragorn engage Sauron in a 1v1 duel ultimately took away from Frodo and Sam's task of actually destroying the One Ring. The movie didn't need a traditional Hollywood climax of the big hero taking on the main villain, so they took it out and just had Aragorn take on a battle troll instead.

Wish the BD of Fellowship had been fixed. The overwhelming teal tint looks awful in some places (the mountain snow for Boromir's scene where he picks up the ring in particular looks just plain weird).

Wish the BD of Fellowship had been fixed. The overwhelming teal tint looks awful in some places (the mountain snow for Boromir's scene where he picks up the ring in particular looks just plain weird).

It looks really weird in screencaps but I didn't notice it too much in motion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom