• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - 15 Years Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxy100

Banned
Fantastic film. And great OT by the way

Still fondly remember going to the cinema for this - I was so excited. One of my favourite ever films.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Love this film, the first time I remember special effects being, well, special. To add to what's been said, I think it's a true testament to Jackson and co. as story tellers that I always forget how damn incredible the action scenes in this movie are. While the other two films ramped up the scale, the way each of the action scenes in Fellowship is filmed and presented is incredible.

iAB_pe.gif

iPhfq.gif

3lf6TeW.gif

Jackson's on another level with this stuff.

Théoden's speech and the cavalry charge in RoTK is still one of my favourite film moments. The way he yells it out, the sword clattering along the line of spears, the way the music swells as the riders start in formation but then break as they gallop forwards. Ugggh so good.

Think it's time for a rewatch this Christmas. Sucks that you can only buy the extended blu rays with the hobbit films in one package new in the UK.

Chuckie

That's another thing I didn't get. How can there be mountains and shit when they should be near the core of the Earth the way they keep falling down?

The passed through the core and kept falling until they fell out the other side of the earth, on top of a mountain.

One of my favourite films ever. It definitely holds up better than the sequels nowadays due to having the least amount of CGI. RoTK was on TV last week and myself and the wife were watching some of it and both of us couldnt help but cringe at how bad some of the CGI in the final battle was by todays standards. I really wish Jackson had calmed the fuck down with CGI in that movie but its still a good film. I love Two Towers tho, Gollum makes that movie. I personally dont give a crap about some aspects of that movie, (i find the whole aragorn/eowyn stuff and Gandalf trying to motivate Theoden to be the most boring parts of the film), but everything else was great, and Helms Deep was the SHIT.

Sulik2

I think the extended cut of Fellowship is the greatest movie ever made. Its a brilliant film and nearly perfect.

Re-watched the Fellowship on Sunday night after reading the GoT vs. LOTR TV aesthetic thread, I forgot how good it was.

Other than a few places where the CGI looked a bit dated (Legolas running on the cave troll for example) it still holds up really well.

The music is on another level altogether, really adds a massive emotional impact to the movie. Introduction to Rivendell, Moria, when Gandalf falls from the bridge, had me tearing up as if it was the first time I watched it again.

I have 2 main gripes with the movie, Arwen and the fact that they didn't make the Last Alliance battle longer. I would have watched that battle for 20 minutes if I could have.

Ramirez

One of my fondest memories is watching this in theaters with my mother. We both loved it, with no prior knowledge of the series, heh.

Anarion07

Anyone know more about the bluray releases?
I have the first release box (not extended) and the visual Quality is mehhh.
Girlfriend and I wanted to rematch the trilogy..
Apparently the extended bluray box is a lot better quality wise?

Phinor

Naturally, it solidified in my mind that Howard Shore's score is one of (it really doesn't make sense to think of it as 3 separate scores) the all-time great film scores.

The score for me is just the cherry on top of perfection for this trilogy. Score (or soundtrack) is always important to me, it can turn an average 5-6 into a good 7-8 but it's also often the difference between me giving an otherwise fantastic movie a 9 instead of 10 if the score isn't up to par. It's one of the (many) reasons why Marvel movies never achieve greatness in my mind and why Nolan trilogy is at least a step above the rest. If I was to make up a top 10 list right now, the only movies in that list without really great music would probably be Before Sunrise/Before Sunset.

So for Lord of the Rings to do everything so damn well and then add that score on top of it, that's truly exceptional. I wish I could see the movies in a movie theater again, preferably EE versions which I watch yearly anyway. I bet there would be worldwide demand for that if someone wanted to make some money.

TCRS

Banned
About a year ago I had the opportunity to see the films again with a live symphony orchestra in a concert hall playing the entire score in real time to the movie projected onscreen. It's an enormous undertaking as the score not only calls for a huge ensemble with skilled players in almost every section, but many difficult solo parts, some unusual instruments and percussion (pan flute, dulcimer, whatever the hell metallic percussion they use for the Uruk-hai motif), a full mens and womens choir AND a boys' choir (and notable solo parts for each, including the end credits songs), not to mention the endurance and skill required to play the whole damn thing in one sitting with perfect timing. They're long scores, probably at least 75% of each film's running time is scored, and many sequences like the battles have the whole ensemble playing at full blast for at least 10 minutes without letting up. It would be an intimidating and expensive prospect for any symphony I would think.

And this orchestra just knocked it out of the fucking park and brought my love for the films to a whole new level. Not just because they nailed it on a technical level, but because as much fun as you get from seeing these films in a theater with a lively audience, that experience was amplified a hundredfold with a real ensemble fully bringing you along into the musical world and with an audience even more appreciative and immersed than you would get at the cinema. The battles were even more heart-pounding, the tearjerker scenes were even more poignant, the raw energy of the films was even more affecting and majestic. It's a phenomenal way to experience the story and I'm really grateful that I had the opportunity.

Naturally, it solidified in my mind that Howard Shore's score is one of (it really doesn't make sense to think of it as 3 separate scores) the all-time great film scores, and the trilogy itself as an incredible landmark in American cinema. I am not usually a big fan of the sword and sorcery genre, but PJ transcended whatever preconceived limitations people may have had of it, and gave the films an authenticity and sincerity that made the world and its characters relatable and believable. So many films these days try to be quote-unquote "epic" in scope and think that they can achieve it just by throwings lots of special effects and ominous exposition at the audience. Of course the LotR trilogy has plenty of both, but by surrounding them with a lived-in world with established (and well-acted) characters who could truly convey the stakes of the story they were living in, it actually worked and made the films that much easier to invest yourself in, not just for the raw spectacle, but with the emotions underlying it all.

Yup did the same with Fellowship at the Royal Albert Hall. That was the first time they showed Fellowship in HD, it was absolutely amazing. Howard Shore was there as well. He even looked at my like 'wtf is that pleb doing up in the boxes?' but whatevs

This thread makes me want to read Silmarillion again. Not gonna watch the movies this year, I've switched to every two years. Makes it even more special.

Well you're in for a treat because The Appendices are still the gold standard of behind the scenes material. They also make you appreciate the movies so much more.

I'm right in the heart of the production design right now, this is excellent and very in depth.

Anyone know more about the bluray releases?
I have the first release box (not extended) and the visual Quality is mehhh.
Girlfriend and I wanted to rematch the trilogy..
Apparently the extended bluray box is a lot better quality wise?

The extended edition Blurays are much higher quality. There's some controversy about a general sort of green/teal color grade that's been added only to Fellowship of the Ring, but it looks great still. All the extras are amazing too (though on DVD's).

Speaking of Boromir, one detail that completely eluded me up until about four or five years ago was that after Boromir dies, Aragorn straps on his bracers (with the White Tree of Gondor embossed on them) and wears them for the rest of the trilogy. The film calls no attention to it aside from this brief shot of him putting them on:

PbG6FDi.png

It's little things like this that just make me appreciate these films more and more as time goes on.
I was actually surprised when I read DM Of The Rings and they didn't bring attention to the fact that Aragorn looted Boromir's corpse.

Trojan X

Banned
Would definitely purchase a 4K TrueHD/DTS MA version of this. Oh yes. Sorry to say that I've learned my lesson and would purchase the Theatrical version instead of the extended version. Brought the extended collected on DVD and I only watched it twice... couldn't bring myself to sit for those long hours again. Heck, thinking about it further, I'll just buy the Fellowship of the Ring only.

CronoShot

Oh, that's great. Was it on the extended edition? Because I saw the theatrical cut sort of recently and I don't remember that being said.

In the extended edition, Eowyn tells Aragorn that Theoden had mentioned Aragorn had fought alongside his grandfather. She asks him about his age and he tells her he's 87.

sh4mike

Fellowship was my most memorable theater experience.

Went opening night with my Dad. A lady completely freaked out when Bilbo went for the ring in Rivendell and screamed true terror. The whole audience jumped from her, then released their own nervous energy through laughter. My Dad and I walked out without talking at all, which never happens. Most folks were quiet, like we were digesting what we just experienced.

After exiting the building, the first words I said to my pop were "Can we see it again tomorrow?" We did. The first and only time I've seen the same movie twice in a theater.

Its a fucking travesty that The Complete Recordings haven't been reprinted like the Extended Editions have.

I shouldnt have to pay $300+ for a fucking soundtrack.

Grisby

I can tell you from sitting in the Gainesville theater on opening day that it was magic. I can only imagine that what I felt was what people felt like seeing the original Star Wars on opening day.

Preezy

Watched the extended editions back-to-back a few months ago with a pal. Very enjoyable but CHRIST are they long. The Return of the King nearly killed me, so many endings!

The sole complaint I have for this movie trilogy was the poor job done on the representation of the army of the dead at the battle of Gondor. Love every other aspect.

jett

D-Member
There's a lot that got scrapped or retooled that we never actually saw in the finished films.

- Deleted action scene in Fellowship of the Ring where a bunch of pissed off Moria orcs follow the Fellowship into the woods outside Lothlorien, only to get mowed down by Haldir's crew.

- In Two Towers, when Sam tells Faramir to back off in the cave, Faramir sees the Ring turning Frodo into a Gollum-like creature himself.

s-6e827c63016582929af2c2937e7c0cf168cc8c13.jpg

frodoasgollum-thumb-330x467-107973.jpg

- In Two Towers, Arwen joined Aragorn at Helm's Deep. This storyline was completely scrapped. She also had a face-to-face scene with Galadriel in Lothlorien.

c44946ea659e61821f897f984684961d.jpg

1a86454f9f4b2ee59b338f5c3818c73a.jpg

This is some cool stuff. I don't think any of this is in the BD/DVD special features. What the fuck is even going with that Frodo.

Aragorn served under Théoden's father and Boromir/Faramir's grandfather for a short while under the alias Thorongil. Yeah, Aragorn's pretty damn old during the movies, looks can be deceiving :p

All of this is mentioned in the EE of TTT, actually.

The extended edition Blurays are much higher quality. There's some controversy about a general sort of green/teal color grade that's been added only to Fellowship of the Ring, but it looks great still. All the extras are amazing too (though on DVD's).

Honestly the worst part of the color timing change not the change itself, but the fact that FotR was the only one that got such treatment. It looks really different from the other two.

This is some cool stuff. I don't think any of this is in the BD/DVD special features. What the fuck is even going with that Frodo.

Me being a nerd actually watch every single appendices last winter. They definitely mentioned both stories somewhere in their respectful appendix but I don't think came with photos.

I liked the movie quite a bit back then. It didn't make my top 10 of 2001 back then, but it might edge in if I were to reconsider today (I'm not as crazy for Waking Life and Moulin Rouge these days, although I still like both of them).

The movie was some sort of perfect storm for me.

I read the Hobbit and then subsequently the trilogy in a few months, and then I caught the early, early hype.

Remember the first couple of teaser trailers?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-XoEGlvlp0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V75dMMIW2B4

Then we got the movie, and it changed the landscape forever. High Fantasy was ridiculed till then, and then FotR happened and raised the stakes to impossible standards. Lord of the Rings was seen as passionate drama, not fantasy action.

You need to remember that this was the early days of the Internet. I would lurk Onering.net and Aintitcoolnews all day and try to find even a snippet of information.
But even reading about it... I was not aware how important Lord of the Rings was, for so many people. I saw grown men cry in the theater (I was 20 back then) and it was nothing sort of a life-changing experience.

Schryver

Wow crazy it's been that long. Haven't watched the movies in years but have been meaning to since I now have the blu-rays. Sometime in the next few weeks

Loxley

My own personal experience with Fellowship:

I had never even heard of the books when I saw the first trailer (can't remember what movie it was in front of). I was about 11-12 years old at the time. I leaned over to my mom and asked her what The Lord of the Rings was, she said "It's a book or something" XD. It's funny, even looking back I remember seeing the trailer for the first time in the theater. Gandalf grabbing Frodo with the "Is it secret??" line, the Nazghul riding through water, I remember a lot of it vividly and being really curious to see the movie.

It's so funny to watch that trailer now and see all of the different takes, unused shots, and unfinished effects:

Ij5i28c.jpg

I wasn't big into fantasy at the time, I was mostly into comic books and superheroes. But I saw Fellowship on my 13th birthday (December 14th, 2001) and was fucking hooked. Echoing a lot of the posts in here, folks jumped when Bilbo lurched out for the Ring, and cheered when Aragorn decapitated Lurtz. It really was my Star Wars. I also made the decision to not read the book until all three films were out. I wanted to go into each one completely blind toward what was going to happen. To this day I'm still glad I did that.

Honestly the worst part of the color timing change not the change itself, but the fact that FotR was the only one that got such treatment. It looks really different from the other two.

I haven't watched the other two yet to see how they compare, but yea it's a pretty perplexing choice. I guess Jackson wanted to highlight how different that part of the journey is, since the fellowship is all together and there's the most greenery and life? Idk man.

The least of the tree in my opinion. Sometimes it really drags and it has so many pathetic dialogues. Yes I mean the Council at Rivendell with these facepalm 'you've got my...'-dialogues.

And leaving out Tom Bombadill was incredibly stupid!

Looking back The Two Towers is my favorite. But I don't know of this trilogy will stand the test of time.

Watched those damn near daily, and have probably never been hyped for anything more.

It was always a long wait - both until Fellowship hit, and then the year wait for each next installment.

And it needs to be said that Fellowship of the Ring was exactly what a lot of people needed back in December 2001. Those were very dark days in the US and watching this film was like nestling under a warm blanket with a mug of hot chocolate.

Watched those damn near daily, and have probably never been hyped for anything more.

It was always a long wait - both until Fellowship hit, and then the year wait for each next installment.

And it needs to be said that Fellowship of the Ring was exactly what a lot of people needed back in December 2001. Those were very dark days in the US and watching this film was like nestling under a warm blanket with a mug of hot chocolate.

It was painful to actually download those because Internet was still archaic in my country. Still, I would watch those EVERY day. And I would show it to everyone I could.

I spent almost 5 years worshiping those movies, but it was the real thing after all!

Fellowship my favorite of the three. I love how "realistic" it is with each adventurer carrying gear -- bedrolls, cloaks, pots, etc.

Wag

I need to sit down and rewatch the triliogy.

It would be nice if they remixed the audio to support Dolby Atmos and rereleased it on UHD.

Timeless masterpiece, along with the two other films. The perfection of the casting, acting, and the way these films just totally capture a story thought to be unfilmable, it just shouldn't have been possible, and yet they nailed it.

-Aragorn then fights Sauron at the Black Gate, but this was replaced with the giant CG troll as to make the final battle more of a sacrifice in service of Frodo rather than something personal.

87985c397318e3209522e6984aebdc2a.jpg

U0rsu.jpg

The kind of thing one would have thought was a big mistake when you are 13, but then with age and better taste you realize how much more nuanced it is without such fan service "epic final boss".

GCX

Timeless masterpiece, along with the two other films. The perfection of the casting, acting, and the way these films just totally capture a story thought to be unfilmable, it just shouldn't have been possible, and yet they nailed it.
I find it amazing how they just made technical solutions up as they went along. During the post production of Fellowship for example they had no idea how they'd be able to do the mass battles in later movies but they always came up with some crazy solutions.

It's incredible they managed to make this kind of production nightmare not only into a good, coherent trilogy but a masterpiece.

Biske

My mother gave me her copy of the LotR trilogy when I was a kid and they immediately became my favorite books, so much so I would read them at least once every year. Around 2000 I learned they were making a film trilogy and devoured every ounce of information about it that I could find. I visited theonering.net multiple times every day from this time up until the RotK:EE released. I was a freshman in high school when FotR came out and I watched it on opening day (directly after bombing all my finals because I couldn't focus on anything in anticipation) and came out of the theater absolutely stunned. I had never seen anything like that before, it overwhelmed me and I couldn't even formulate an opinion on it. I went back a few days later and walked out of the theater this time knowing I was in love with it. It's the closest anyone has ever gotten to bringing Tolkien to life on the screen. It captures the feeling of the books, the quiet sense of history behind everything, the tangible weight of that world. I love the next two films as well but neither have the richness of Fellowship. It's one of my favorite films ever.

God that takes me back. Those were some fun times checking out that stuff every day. Really magical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom