• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Making Of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City [EDGE interview with Sam Houser]

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think Vice City marks the start of my purchasing games as an adult. I remember playing GTA3 and Tony Hawk and having a PS2, and even though I bought all that stuff myself I don't really remember it. I vividly remember buying VC before work in October 2002 though. Taking it back to work, showing my mates, wanting to bubk off and play it... great memories.

I love having it on my iPad now too :)

ScOULaris

Pretty good read. Vice City is my favorite GTA, so I always love discussing it and reading about it. This was my favorite response from the interview:

Edge said:
A lot of people still talk about Vice City as their favourite game in the series. Do you think that’s related to the music, or the atmosphere, or something else?

I think it’s because of what we would call the vibe. I think it’s the combination of the music, the clothing, the vehicles and other things. The way I look at is that suddenly your PS2 had become like a little time machine, and it could take you anywhere, and this was just the first place that it happened to take you. If you could have made time stand still then, and made a hundred things in the mould of Vice City, there were so many things you could create, whether it was a fantasy-themed thing or something else entirely.

Mindwipe

Good interview.

Man, Vice City is an amazing game. I think Houser has a pretty good grip on exactly why it's a good game too, so it seems like many of the smart choices were very intentional.

It's funny reading that he had a moment of panic about the music though. The soundtrack is... amazing. I can't imagine it any other way.

zeioIIDX

Good interview.

Man, Vice City is an amazing game. I think Houser has a pretty good grip on exactly why it's a good game too, so it seems like many of the smart choices were very intentional.

It's funny reading that he had a moment of panic about the music though. The soundtrack is... amazing. I can't imagine it any other way.

Seriously. I don't recall a single time where I actually skipped songs by changing radio stations...unless I jumped into a vehicle that was on VCPR lol. GTA III will always be a game changer in my heart but Vice City...I don't know, it's always been my favorite.

FafaFooey

About Ray Liotta..

I think he did get it, to be fair. But he made some comments later on through his agent, something like, “Hey, that game was so big I should have charged them more money”, and I hate that kind of chat. It’s like, be cool. You know? I hate that – it’s so cheesy. Like he’s saying, “Next time I’m really going to pin it to them”. Well, how about we just killed off your character? So he doesn’t exist – there is no next time. That’s how we handle that.

Nice.

Guevara

I bought a PS2 for Vice City. I remember hooking it to my cheap surround sound and 480p TV and being blown away.

Bumhead

Banned
I think Vice City might be the most I ever enjoyed a videogame, relative to my thoughts of it at the time and my continued fondness for it now. That interview snippet about the "vibe" of Vice City is so true. I've never felt for the whole package of a game world as much as that before or since.

Easily my favourite GTA game, too.

I was hired the week of Vice City's launch date at EB Games and had been hanging out at that store for years, which was down the road from Rockstar.

5 years later went to go work there.

And this year I left before they could release it on iOS. Crazy cycle.

Never liked the game much, though. Played 3 hours of it and returned it to EB.

Top Bottom