• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The making of Shinobi and Streets of Rage!

RAIDEN1

Not sure if this has been posted here already, in case not check it out!!!

Last edited:
I find these guys have a nice production quality (montage, graphics, etc.) But their videos are short and don't go deep at all.

Traianvs

Yes, more retro-gaming! I'm enjoying all these games for the first time and I'm in heaven. Every thread I see about the 8 and 16 bit generations is very helpful to me. I have the notepad always open with "to play" as a title

Kazza

Totally awesome. I miss the old Sega.

Actually, I think sometimes these videos remind us of the similarities between old and new Sega. For example, the video shows how they sent some of their franchises (Shinobi 3 and SoR 2 & 3) to outside developers, just like they have done recently (with SoR, Sonic Mania, Shenmue etc). Still, the output of Sega at the time (16 games in the first year of the Megadrive, according to the video) was very impressive.

I find these guys have a nice production quality (montage, graphics, etc.) But their videos are short and don't go deep at all.

20 minutes isn't particularly short for a youtube video, although admittedly they did cover a lot of ground in this episode. They always seem to dig up new info about old games. I manage to learn something new from them, no matter how familiar I am with the games covered.

Kazza

I wonder if Sega still have a copy of the original Shinobi 3 levels? Although the video says they were cut/changed due to not being good enough, it would be interesting to get to play them sometime. The code was probably lost in the mists of time, along with Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Saber

Gold Member
Interesting. To think Street of the Rage start as a E-swat name game(although with D).

MegaSoft and the Data East guy coming in are new to me!

I also LOVED playing Toki back in the day.

Great video! ☺

Last edited:

Kazza

Interesting. To think Street of the Rage start as a E-swat name game(although with D).

It'd be cool if SoR4 were to include unlockable police uniforms for the characters as an Easter egg (realistically, more likely as DLC)

This, that was probably my favorite period to be a gamer (Well, among my favorite times)!

Mine too!

While impressive, games were much easier to make back then in many ways. I seem to remember the video mentioning a game being completed in just 6 months (the first draft of Shinobi 3?), and the team that made it probably had fewer than a dozen people. Sega probably have over a hundred doing the latest Yakuza game alone.

Top Bottom