• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Making Of Uncharted 4 - Pushing Technical Boundaries Part 2 (gameplay)

zsynqx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4wWMe85Dgo&feature=youtu.be&a

More focused on the gameplay this time. Lots of new footage

Key points (probably missed some stuff)

- Vehicles react differently depending on terrain.

- Rope can be utilised in most gameplay encounters. Has multiple uses.

- From the beginning Bruce wanted to get back to figuring out the core gameplay.

- Combat designed with Nate's traversal moveset in mind.

- Climbing system in UC4 has been completely overhauled. System gives unprecedented level of fine control with full analogue control over both of his hands

- Characters traversing with you were scripted in the past games. Now it is very systemic.

- Bunch of stuff on AI being smarter with new flanking behaviours and better awareness etc. They have the same traversal abilities as Drake

- They really wanted to avoid stop and pop gameplay with the player sticking behind one piece of cover.

- A lot of the stealth elements from the Last of Us brought over so the player has more choices in combat. You can break line of sight and sneak past them

- Melee is deeper.

- Lots of new tools added but in a way that is elegant enough to not explode the game with HUD.

Man

That was quick.

edit:

This game is absolutely overwhelming in gameplay & visual technology. I can't see this benchmark being beaten anytime soon.

Those new Eastern-European/Russian environments look beautiful.
2nd edit: Correction:
Scotland actually!

aravuus

Wasn't interested in the single player campaign at first, but damn, some of this stuff looks really really cool. Love the level of interactivity and just how dynamic everything seems.

Def glad I decided to buy a PS4 a while back.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
HYPE!

tqfemar5is2x.gif

"Look at what we can do."

Naughty Dog ethos in a nutshell. They act because they have the power and talent too.

These environments look absolutely fantastic. I'm a huge sucker for variety when it comes to play spaces and UC4 looks like it'll have that in spades.

Only gripe I have is, why mix in the old footage and the new footage together? The color-grading (and lighting?) seems to have changed from last year and the switch is between the two is ... weird.

SomTervo

Watched with sound off - looking bloody great. Love seeing flashes of that god-tier level design.

So many GIFable bits here.

Holy shit. (6:36)

The camera work really is unprecedented. So good.

I think TLoU was just behind this. Almost on par. It also had incredible, intelligent, interactive camera work.

The "shakiness" of the camera work in UC4 looks to be one of the biggest steps up. Uncharted 1-3 had a fun little hand-to-hand mechanic, but it looks like UC4 is turning it into serious business. Again, a bit more like TLoU.

zsynqx

Naughty Dog ethos in a nutshell. They act because they have the power and talent too.

These environments look absolutely fantastic. I'm a huge sucker for variety when it comes to play spaces and UC4 looks like it'll have that in spades.

Only gripe I have is, why mix in the old footage and the new footage together? The color-grading (and lighting?) seems to have changed from last year and the switch is between the two is ... weird.

Agreed on that last point.

Well, it is less time consuming.

DrD

This looks insane. The traversal looks like it improved a lot compared to how limited it was in past games.

Javin98

Banned
As I thought, this video is pretty simplified as well when it comes to the technical details. Oh, well, guess we have to wait for their GDC slides for an in depth look. On the bright side, this video had a lot of new footage and that alone makes me much more satisfied than the previous video. Bring on the GIF's!

As I thought, this video is pretty simplified as well when it comes to the technical details. Oh, well, guess we have to wait for their GDC slides for an in depth look. On the bright side, this video had a lot of new footage and that alone makes me much more satisfied than the previous video. Bring on the GIF's!

Haven't they already done some technical vids already? Someone linked them in the other thread. I'll go get them.

[EDIT] Here it is.

We probably won't get anything nearly as in-depth as the Naughty Dog Gnomon videos in part 2, so watch these if you haven't already!

Headspace: Naughty Dog Pt. 1 — Game Character Creation
https://youtu.be/R6uAOmH0QsE

Headspace: Naughty Dog Pt. 2 — Video Game Environments
https://youtu.be/GPB-xVtaOpk

Headspace: Naughty Dog Pt. 3 — Technical Art
https://youtu.be/VYueRQea74c

There's a mixture of The Last of Us, Uncharted 4 and personal portfolio stuff.

Kralamoonard
Oo..., what did you do...?

Well I was banned for 3 months in Decemer. I just got unbanned the day before my birthday, on the 18th, so quite fitting :p....only to realise that I had also been juniored :/

What is new footage and what is old?

I am getting confused lol. Looks decent tho, I am spoiled by PC IQ now a bit but I am looking forward to the gameplay a lot

Jigolo

Cool vid. Lots of PSX 2014 stuff and E3 stuff with sprinkles of new footage. Just how I like it.

Bruce is the man

Javin98

Banned
What is new footage and what is old?

I am getting confused lol. Looks decent tho, I am spoiled by PC IQ now a bit but I am looking forward to the gameplay a lot
Unless you're used to 1440p or higher resolutions on PC, Uncharted 4 should still hold up well to your standards. The AA solution they use is amazing, the open beta was jaggies and shimmering free.

Top Bottom