• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Making Of Uncharted 4 - Pushing Technical Boundaries Part 2 (gameplay)

Memento

That's still too much for my liking. I'd prefer one trailer only. I miss the glory days on ps1 when we developed our opinion of the game the day we played it, not 6 months/ a year before. I'm on a media blackout (then why are you in the thread etc) and I still catch glimpses of the environment here and there, wish I could avoid that.

That is unrealistic to expect though. They need to sell the game after all.

For all the shit the Uncharted 3 marketing campaign got (for showing too much of the setpieces), it kind of worked really well, considering it is a 10+ million seller, much more than its previous entries.

I didn't play Episode Duscae, but from what i've seen in trailers it looks really good, even if somewhat exagerated sometimes. But to me, what's really important is how responsive the controls are while maintaining fluid animations, and Uncharted 4 beta blew me away in that regard.

In Uncharted 3 I felt that they sacrificed a bit the precision of the controls to give priority to the animations. I'm really glad they didn't make the same mistake with Uncharted 4. The game controls really, really well without feeling "mechanic".

FFXV is pretty responsive for what it's doing. Though it's hard to pin down exactly how responsive given that the Episode Duscae has really poor performance, but I didn't have many complaints about it.

It doesn't touch the UC4 beta though in that regard. But for what it sets out to do, I found it worked pretty well.

Now in year three and still no true current gen Rockstar game. This only makes me even more hyped. If Rockstar San Diego (their tech team/ ex-Angel) is back to Red Dead I expect it to look even better than Uncharted 4. Rockstar's next(this) gen lighting and animation systems are going to blow minds.

RD is open world, so I doubt that. I'm sure it will blow other open world games away, though.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Not enough mud in games these days.

uc2.gif

That's because we have like 30 minutes of gameplay and an MP beta as the elaboration.
Imagine how good the original MOTORSTORM would look as a PS4 game *drools* sad about Evolution 😕

Been playing some Uncharted 3 in prep for this, and my god this new game looks several generations beyond it, both in presentation and in gameplay design.

Can't wait.

Saw a trailer of uncharted 4 in the cinema last night but can't find it anywhere

In it mates sitting down and he flings a coin at the screen anybody know where to wath this again?

Been playing some Uncharted 3 in prep for this, and my god this new game looks several generations beyond it, both in presentation and in gameplay design.

Can't wait.

Can't even go back to my beloved UC2 after the UC4 Multiplayer Beta. Uncharted 4 is like a million times more satisfying to play. If the campaign is designed even half as well it'll still be the best UC game by leaps and bounds.

Keihart

The wait is becoming really hard, i better make time to finish this in two sitting with no distractions.

Really happy seeing all the melee options, i love the transitions between climbing shooting and melee in uncharted, something that i missed a lot in the MP beta.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I mean, there are so many animations in play that it's only natural to have a couple of weird ones, but when you look at their track record and observe every single UC4 footage they've released so far, you can see amazing animations across the board. Every single animation seems to be worked on with detail and care, and they're incredibly consistent and life-like.

They excel like few others do in that department.
Oh ofc. The amount of variations on each action alone is bordering on sheer insanity, (3 hours of core animation). I feel like due to the nature of the game's development it tip toes between "holy shit I can't believe they nailed that," (rope swing, taking off jackets and pulling up shirts in real time, Nathan Drake's new climbing animations), and "Idk about that choice they made with that animation," (Drake's super derpy face when being manhandled by Nadine in the trailers, the contextual wall melee animations which seem to freeze up as they blend, some of the entirely key-framed facial animation compared to the mocap). It's because I expect SO much in terms and get impressed with a lot of what they do, (quite literally used their animation as an example of the growth of animation in the medium compared to say five years ago). I would NEVER imply or insinuate that they didn't care about nailing everything.

TripOpt55

Been trying to stay away from videos for this, but did check out some the info and gifs in here. Phew. Looking and sounding awesome. Love the look of that really open area they are driving around in. The animations in here, just fantastic. Couldn't be more excited for this game.

SomTervo

It looks absolutely fantastic. I love everything they are saying and loving that they dialed back up the stealth. Though there was one unfortunate part where they say the enemy is smarter now but show Nate doing a take down on an enemy close to and within the peripheral vision of another who doesn't notice. That's not great AI for stealth but a small niggle I guess.

Ah, that's scripted - Sam immediately takes down the other guy. I'd wager the NPC is force-animated to stand there and not see the player take down the buddy next to him so that they can show Sam doing it. There was an identical bit in Uncharted 2's Museum level.

The other gameplay videos have shown AI with far better peripheral vision.

SomTervo

- Rope can be utilised in most gameplay encounters. Has multiple uses.

- Combat designed with Nate's traversal moveset in mind.

- Climbing system in UC4 has been completely overhauled. System gives unprecedented level of fine control with full analogue control over both of his hands

- Characters traversing with you were scripted in the past games. Now it is very systemic.

- Bunch of stuff on AI being smarter with new flanking behaviours and better awareness etc. They have the same traversal abilities as Drake

- They really wanted to avoid stop and pop gameplay with the player sticking behind one piece of cover.

- A lot of the stealth elements from the Last of Us brought over so the player has more choices in combat. You can break line of sight and sneak past them

- Melee is deeper.

All of this stuff is mindblowing to hear. Especially about the new climbing controls and systemic AI capabilities. Amazing

It's so close! Like 6-7 weeks!

Really looks like GOTY. I think I'm gonna plat it, but hopefully I don't have to spend too much time in MP.
UC has never had extensive multiplayer trophies in the base game so I'd be a bit surprised if they started now. I expect a very similar list to the previous games.

Ricky_R

Oh ofc. The amount of variations on each action alone is bordering on sheer insanity, (3 hours of core animation). I feel like due to the nature of the game's development it tip toes between "holy shit I can't believe they nailed that," (rope swing, taking off jackets and pulling up shirts in real time, Nathan Drake's new climbing animations), and "Idk about that choice they made with that animation," (Drake's super derpy face when being manhandled by Nadine in the trailers, the contextual wall melee animations which seem to freeze up as they blend, some of the entirely key-framed facial animation compared to the mocap). It's because I expect SO much in terms and get impressed with a lot of what they do, (quite literally used their animation as an example of the growth of animation in the medium compared to say five years ago). I would NEVER imply or insinuate that they didn't care about nailing everything.

I understand, and while there may be a spotty animation here and there, they are still better than most, even when they're at their "worst". When taken as a whole, ND animations are definitely at the forefront, and it's quite fair to say that there are very few among them.

Being the best, or among the best, at something doesn't mean that they won't have less than great stuff during the game. However, consistency is key and they're quite consistent when it comes to great animations in every single facet of the game. All in all, not many can compare, which I believe was the point of the argument.

Edit: Btw, I never implied that you didn't care about their attention to detail or that you think ND animations are not that good, etc. I'm just giving my opinion on why I believe they are indeed at the top of video games' animations.

Javin98

Banned
Pic from Beyond3D showcasing the global illumination in work. Credits to Clukos.
1gvu6d.jpg

Most visible on the back of the jeep and Sam's arm. You can see the green hue bleeding from the grass when the jeep passes through it. When the jeep passes through soil, you see orange hue instead.

antitrop

UC has never had extensive multiplayer trophies in the base game so I'd be a bit surprised if they started now. I expect a very similar list to the previous games.

As long as it's not like The Last of Us, where you beat a 15+ hour game and finish with like 1 Silver trophy.

It's not like Uncharted 1-3 had good trophies, either. Most of them are just killing a certain number of enemies with certain weapon types, which is pretty lame.

What else happens in the trailer? That sounds like nothing we've seen so far.

I went to the midnight screening of batman vs superman in Aus and flipped out when i saw it
(Ill be going to the movies on monday hopefully it shows up again which ill film on my phone if thats the case)

Pretty sure it was cgi (not the one of him diving for his brothers hand) hes sitting in a burning buildig can't remember what he says and he flicks a coin towards the screen then there are quick cuts and hes hanging of a car on that waterfall

I've messaged both ND and neil so hopefully i'll get an answer back as it was an awesome trailer

zsynqx

I went to the midnight screening of batman vs superman in Aus and flipped out when i saw it
(Ill be going to the movies on monday hopefully it shows up again which ill film on my phone if thats the case)

Pretty sure it was cgi (not the one of him diving for his brothers hand) hes sitting in a burning buildig can't remember what he says and he flicks a coin towards the screen then there are quick cuts and hes hanging of a car on that waterfall

I've messaged both ND and neil so hopefully i'll get an answer back as it was an awesome trailer

Oh wow, sounds awesome. Thanks for the info :)

Slowed down closeup for those rope physics:
OBnZfc2.gif

Jesus wept.

That is just incredible. Definitely makes me want Naughty Dog to do an open world game though, with full rope implementation.

Or a western!!!

Oh, ND please do an open world Western if R* doesn't. PLEASE.

Revven

As long as it's not like The Last of Us, where you beat a 15+ hour game and finish with like 1 Silver trophy.

It's not like Uncharted 1-3 had good trophies, either. Most of them are just killing a certain number of enemies with certain weapon types, which is pretty lame.

Yeah, even though I'm not much of a trophy guy they really should be more creative with their trophies.

I wonder if they'll have any speedrun trophies if the Collection trophies are anything to go by.

What I really want is a difficulty mode that remixes enemy types and placement for combat arenas but I'm sure ND isn't aware of that idea. :(

Oh wow, sounds awesome. Thanks for the info :)

No problem i'm just annoyed that i can't find it because it was a really good trailer...but once i do I'll just be sitting there watching it till dark souls 3 comes out to tide me over till may (such a long wait!)

Memento

Sounds awesome! It is definitely a new one then. Should be posted soon in the PlayStation official chanel I guess.

Shin-Ra

I wonder if Naughty Dog's rendering metaballs for the splash effect.

U4splashSLOW.gif

It could just be a happy accident that several drops overlap and appear to be joined and then don't overlap when they separate further apart.

giphy.gif

Naughty Dog is hiding another CGI trailer from us?
DAMN IT NEIL!

I wonder if Naughty Dog's rendering metaballs for the splash effect.

U4splashSLOW.gif

It could just be a happy accident that several drops overlap and appear to be joined and then don't overlap when they separate further apart.

I wouldn't put it past them. Could be just for that specific shader effect.

hesido

ND making an open world game would be a nice surprise... They've got the skills to make it the best looking open world game. I'm not really into open world games.

Rated-G

Yeah, even though I'm not much of a trophy guy they really should be more creative with their trophies.

I wonder if they'll have any speedrun trophies if the Collection trophies are anything to go by.

What I really want is a difficulty mode that remixes enemy types and placement for combat arenas but I'm sure ND isn't aware of that idea. :(

Oh man I really hope there's no speed run trophies... Those are among my least favorite types of trophies, along with non stacking difficulty related trophies.

But I'll still take speed runs over the Brutal difficulty the NDC had. Unless ND makes is actually feel balanced and tested as opposed to whatever the heck that mess was.

Top Bottom