• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mandalorian |OT| I Have Spoken

ManaByte

Gold Member
HjBFvej.jpg

Episode Dates:
#101- November 12 (season premiere)
#102- November 15
#103- November 22
#104- November 29
#105- December 6
#106- December 13
#107- December 18
#108 – December 27 (season finale)

Unmarked spoilers for aired episodes are fine. Unaired episode spoilers should be tagged.

daveonezero

Banned
I thought that was freaking awesome. Filoni knows what the fuck is up. Watched it a second time with my gf tonight. Also started rewatching the Clone Wars.

buizel

Banned
some tell me what happens, anything good? i seen that baby thing, dont worry its not a spoiler because i just said baby thing. i could mean babybel.

s34ab

Banned
The 'grizzled bounty hunter reneges on the deal because the target is a woman baby' has been done before, so hopefully that's not where it's going.

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
The 'grizzled bounty hunter reneges on the deal because the target is a woman baby' has been done before, so hopefully that's not where it's going.

Maybe he didn't he just double crossed the android for the full bounty?

Or maybe it's not just any Baby, maybe he knows something more about it they have not revealed yet I hope.

I kind of like they are not dumping the whole season at once adds a little suspense and doesn't just innundate you with everything at once

ManaByte

Gold Member
Maybe he didn't he just double crossed the android for the full bounty?

Or maybe it's not just any Baby, maybe he knows something more about it they have not revealed yet I hope.

I kind of like they are not dumping the whole season at once adds a little suspense and doesn't just innundate you with everything at once

The guy in the Imperial scientist uniform with Wener Herzog has the cloning division logo on his uniform.

Knch

It's because the target was worth more alive. (This might not be true, but that's what I'm sticking to!)

GV82

This was the some of most generic, paint by the numbers storytelling I've ever seen.

Star War has hit such a low, people will give praise to anything slightly above the new trilogy lol. We'll see where this goes.

Well it’s the first Episode, it’s gotta build up the Basics incase someone who has never seen Star Wars ( someone like Werner Herzog) or a casual Disney plus user who has Disney+ for all the Pixar or Marvel stuff and wondering what this Star Wars thing’s all about, can watch it and not be too confused,

The shows Dave Filoni works on usually the first season is like that for some fans (some love it right away) and then Season 2 onwards they start to really pick up, he likes to ease you in gently but with some exciting episodes in the first season too.

On the other hand it’s a like a Space Cowboy/Bounty Hunter, like most western films, how many of them have similar tropes? Lone Mysterious Gunman ✅ Comes into Town ✅ goes to a Bar ✅ Goes after a Bounty ✅ rides on a animal ✅ saves someone ✅ Hero or Anti-Hero❓✅

Then you can probably fill in the other Western Tropes and have a sense of where some of the show may go too later in the Season (s) But with hopefully surprises along the way.

GV82

Playlist for the score of the first episode from Ludwig Göransson’s official YouTube Channel.

ManaByte

Gold Member
They showed episodes 2 and 3 last night.

Someone on Reddit posted this. Don't know if it's both episodes or just episode 2, but it sounds awesome:
Highlights include Mando finding his ship stripped by Jawas, Mando fighting a creature in a cave with yodababy present so he get his ship parts back, yodababy using the force. Mando turns yodababy over to the client, forges new armor, but has a change of heart and goes back to claim him. Leads to an epic showdown between him and the local bounty hunters, with surprise support from a tone of airborne mandos. Also, the soundtrack gets even better.

Last edited:

dan76

I thought it was good, pretty solid stuff. If you take the cool shit from Star Wars and make a series about a bounty hunter you don't have to reinvent the wheel to make it work. It was fairly basic, but I like that. Clearly going for the man with no name style of western thang.

about the only thing I didn't like was that he shot the IG Droid. I was hoping it would be in the whole series, I could watch that robot blow stuff up all day.

Not sure about the yoda thing at the end, and I really hope he keeps the helmet on for as long as possible. Keeps the same tone, don't fuck up by having him unmasked with some family or generic crap. Keep him alone taking on bounties, that's all they need to do. Basically don't give him a character arc, don't learn anything, don't become soft!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Not that into the first episode.

When he uses the gun platform...no attached shield? That's an extremely exposed position and worse off than staying behind cover with his pistol. The execution was more camp than cool in the action sequences.

I'll keep watching for the next couple eps though to see where it goes.

Super Mario

Banned
"How many new streaming services do we need? I will vote with my wallet and refuse to support this model"

"OMG a new streaming service. I need it!"

#Phonepunk#

Banned
finally saw this. it was pretty good. granted, a lot of it felt like a generic tv show, and some of the actors and dialog were not that good. but it was fine if you want constant fan service. felt a lot like the Clone Wars CGI cartoons, the cheesy one liners, the bit where they blast a nice hole through the door, etc. main character does not seem too bright but visually they nailed it, even if it's just a series of references, something i wouldn't keep bringing up, except the show does it constantly.

really the best stuff was the ambient shots of people in costumes next to spaceships w synth music playing. the music was alright, a little off at times, but i dug the industrial western stuff. the heavies delivered tho Carl Weathers had to wade through some shitty dialogue. Herzog did great and had a fitting character i thought. the lady Mando with the gold helmet looked super sweet. im fine w this! more enjoyable than any of the ST films but def sub sub below PT/OT.

Last edited:
This is what a $120 million budget can buy in terms of a TV show, I guess. It looks film-quality in a lot of places, except that Mando's outfit is way too shiny and clean for a grizzled veteran bounty hunter.

Baby Yoda is fucking adorable

ManaByte

Gold Member
This is what a $120 million budget can buy in terms of a TV show, I guess. It looks film-quality in a lot of places, except that Mando's outfit is way too shiny and clean for a grizzled veteran bounty hunter.

Baby Yoda is fucking adorable

Well he kind of has his own personal blacksmith replacing armor pieces for him.

cheezcake

Overall decent but got some strange mixture of OG Star Wars campiness and a more serious tone in a couple scenes

Fuz

Banned
There's a lot of praise around and people going crazy for it, and I suspect this is just because people are making comparison with the shitty disney movies.

I mean. I enjoyed the first episode. It's a decent show so far, but nothing that amazing.

Just finished episode 2.

Seems like a pretty shit fighter for a bounty hunter let alone a Mandalorian.

I will admit while the show is just ok for me im in for the season. Kinda glad the episode was so short, i started to get restless with it.

Edit

Calling it now. Baby Yoda is only pretending to be a baby. Same way Yoda pretended to be dumb and too old to use the force.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
There's a lot of praise around and people going crazy for it, and I suspect this is just because people are making comparison with the shitty disney movies.

I mean. I enjoyed the first episode. It's a decent show so far, but nothing that amazing.
it's alright. my problem is everything that is not directly lifted from the OT feels like it's ripped from a 90s sci fi show. some of the aliens could be on Deep Space 9 or whatever. you can tell they sunk a bunch of money into this but IMO it doesn't fully nail the cinematic look. SW but more generic. it's like the two gangs that confront Han Solo in TFA, as soon as they show up i feel like I'm watching Stargate SG-1 or something.

the fan service is starting to grate me tbh. that he's NOT Boba Fett yet kept running into everyone from that scene where Boba Fett was introduced in ESB, it got to be self parody at points. then there was the guy with Luke's landspeeder but spray painted gold. a minute later another guy with the same landspeeder pulls up and it's OG colors. yeah, yeah, i had that toy too.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
Just watched episode 2. I am all in now. My praise and respect to Jon Favreau who clearly has a reverence for the material, as can be seen in the details and callbacks. “Fan service” in itself is not a bad thing - it’s what the fans want after all. But from the end of episode 1 and now in the latest we can see the beginnings of a long journey ahead that looks to be very intriguing. I’m reminded a bit if The Last Airbender or The Dragon Prince in terms of the overall journey arc, but instead we have a loner who is likely to build close bonds along the way. We have seen that begin in fact with the way he is bonding with the asset, and his offer to the ugnaught before he left the planet. This will be a journey of building bonds and allowing himself to have relationships again after the past trauma we saw hinted at in chapter 1.

looks like a bright future for the series. Mich more hyped for this after chapter 2, and i did like chapter 1.

jonnyp

Episodes are way too short and there's only 8 episodes in the season. Very little has happened so far.

First episode was good. This is where I'm at, but my compliment is that its properly made. Nothing excessive. Nothing that doesn't fit and nothing that feels like they just gave up on shoehorned in.

It's a space western.

Malakhov

Banned
Just watched episode 2, this is pretty damn good so far. I was actually pissed when the episode ended and wanted more.

Filoni is a genious, he should be working on all star wars content from now on. I cant praise him enough for star wars rebels and now this... damn.

ManaByte

Gold Member
so I don't know about a ton of SW lore but if this takes place after part 6, shouldn't Boba Fett be dead?

The show isn't about Boba Fett. This is 5 years after ROTJ. Fett's armor is being used by a lawman on Tattooine named Cobb Vanth at this time.

Fuz

Banned
Can you guys who know more about SW lore than me, explain how

is Yoda a baby? Aren't we after RotJ? It's another timeline hundreds of years before ANH? It's not Yoda?

Kadayi

Banned
Episode 2 tentative thumbs up.

Better direction versus the first episode for sure.

I was a bit taken aback by TM just smoking Jawas like it was open season. I was expecting him to just use some warning shots to stop them in their tracks, nope you get disintegrated, you get disintegrated, you get disintegrated. However, the whole chase sequence was quite good. On the flip side though after he got the egg that it just turned out to be something they regard as a delicacy versus something with insane monetary value was kind of 'really?' given he must have killed at least a good half dozen of their buddies at least. Jawa's not one's for caring about friends it seems. 🤔

Yoda clone? Probably. No point having it in there unless it had powers but 50-year infancy...seems excessive. I'll give them props the puppet is cute though.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Can you guys who know more about SW lore than me, explain how

is Yoda a baby? Aren't we after RotJ? It's another timeline hundreds of years before ANH? It's not Yoda?

Not him. Just another member of the same species.

Its a rare species in the Star Wars universe. Nobody in the republic knows their homeworld. It doesn't even have a formal name, like Wookie, Jawa, Human, e.t.c.

Fuz

Banned
A giant rhino instantly killed by a small blade.

Farewell, suspension of disbelief! Goodbye! Auf wiedersen! /wave

Anyway, I confirm my first impression. Not bad but... bland. Nobody would be so hyped if it had a different skin than Star Wars.
And btw, the soundtrack is a real letdown. Feels out of context.

Last edited:
First episode was shit.
Second episode actually had a director. It was enjoyable except for the egg's purpose, the blade, the dialogue and the main dude being shit at his job.
Why are there Jawas on this planet? The sandcrawler setpiece was a damn fine action scene, though.

Last edited:

GV82

When all episodes are done, you could probably pick and choose which ones to watch or if patient enough I’m sure some fan edit will chop out the best bits & whittle it down to a 2 and a half hour type TV Movie, I think this show would be better binge watched.

Didn’t mind this episode, wasn’t amazing but again nothing to hate about it, certainly has member berries again but the whole show will, But I could see why people wouldn’t like this one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom