• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mandalorian |OT| I Have Spoken

Romulus

Episode 2 was short, but nailed it. Better than both recent mainline star wars films combined. That's not really saying much though.

Episode 1 one I'd give a 5/10, this one was a very solid 8/10.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
I might be the biggest star wars emo pussy on the planet but I was honestly in tears during the big intervention moment. There are so many questions to be asked with what's going on so many similarities that it's freaking nuts.

Having spent a large part of my childhood hiding in libraries and living in pages of otherwise dead star wars canon the first episode felt completely like a new hope and the second episode felt just like empire strikes back

episode 1 had weird SW:4 callback moments and episode 2 had weird SW:5 callback moments

I cannot inject this series into my body fast enough cmon next friday!

As somebody who has read too much of SW lore IMO - This has nothing to do with Boba Fett, if he's dead who knows but this does not feel like anything to do with his character.

CBijqxeVIAMXxlw.jpg

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
holy shit TIL the generic Farscape comedy blue guy in the first episode was played by Horatio Sanz

LOOOL you have to be kidding me. no wonder i didn't like his character. ffs why open your 8 hour long Serious Space Opera with a performance from one of the lesser SNL castmembers. you gonna show off the badass bounty hunter and start with him capturing a late 90s tv improv comedy actor?

more and more SW just feels like a cool kids club, if you know someone who knows someone, maybe we can get you on! regardless of talent.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Episode 3 spoilers:
He turns in the baby and gets more Beskar for new armor pieces. Then he has a change of heart and goes back for the baby. The doctor from Episode 1 is trying to extract something from it, but Mando rescues it in time.

Fbh

Watched episode 1 with some friends yesterday.
Much better than I expect to be honest, seems well done and I look forward to where it's going. Definitely more enjoyable than any of the recent movies.

The production values were also pretty good so far

ManaByte

Rumor going around is that

Ewan McGregor

has a cameo as the person who finds the young Mandalorian during the Clone Wars.

dionysus

Yaldog
Pacing is slow, too much worthless screen time. What was the point of the ten minutes devoted to learning to ride an overgrown frog? The 5s of world building where he mentions riding mythosaurs? Side characters behavior and motivations make zero sense. I just killed 10 Jawas, water under the bridge I will get you an egg that is nothing more than a tasty snack. I mean you just showed Jawas with ion blasters disabling the mandalorian, but they couldn't possible baitnout the beast and shoot it. Better to ask the guy who just killed 10 of you.

This so far is not a good show.

Last edited:

Romulus

Pacing is slow, too much worthless screen time. What was the point of the ten minutes devoted to learning to ride an overgrown frog? The 5s of world building where he mentions riding mythosaurs? Side characters behavior and motivations make zero sense. I just killed 10 Jawas, water under the bridge I will get you an egg that is nothing more than a tasty snack. I mean you just showed Jawas with ion blasters disabling the mandalorian, but they couldn't possible baitnout the beast and shoot it. Better to ask the guy who just killed 10 of you.

This so far is not a good show.

Jawas are very skittish in the original films, why would they help him fight a massive beast? Secondly, the deal to retrieve his ship parts was never a cooperative agreement. He had to earn it back. Why wouldn't they ask the guy that killed 10 of them? Makes sense to me that he's capable.

Also, killing their jawas friends might not mean much to them. Its happens in star wars scenes, lifeforms die and others do not care at all. We don't know the culture for those specific jawas.

Can you explain why the side characters make zero sense? Theres only like 4 of them.
Each have clear motivations to me considering the screen time.

The old frog rider guy wants the bandits out of his land.

Carl Weathers is a bounty dealer. I don't see how those two make zero sense. It's very simple imo.

The old guy with the storm troopers we're just learning about.

I agree about the frog riding, but even then, I think you exaggerated the screentime as 10 min.

Last edited:

dan76

Oops, wrong thread. Sorry, I just type out a load of spoilers and posted them by accident.

Anyhow, thought the second episode was great, better than the first, which I also though was great. This is doing Star Wars exactly right in my book, way better than anything since 1983. I hope it continues on in exactly the same way. I'll be tempered to make a fan edit if it does.

Last edited:

ManaByte

It's crazy but episode 1 and 2 are better than 95% of star wars media for me.

They have such a good show on their hands.

Damn, jon favreau. I honestly didnt think you had it in you.

I went to the set last month when they were prepping for Season 2 and they were building something that LOOKED like the Tosche Station from the ANH deleted scene (have pics of the construction). If that’s what they’re building then the series is really just Jon Favreau’s fortysomething nostalgia trip.

I went to the set last month when they were prepping for Season 2 and they were building something that LOOKED like the Tosche Station from the ANH deleted scene (have pics of the construction). If that’s what they’re building then the series is really just Jon Favreau’s fortysomething nostalgia trip.
Yeah, sure, but it's a well thought out nostalgia trip. Some of this shit reminds me of what a 15 year old in the late 70s may have wanted to see in star wars and the analogy you just made fits.

Everything from the jawas to Jabba's muppet pet watching his buddy get roasted, its OBVIOUSLY fan fiction.
Just really, really good fan fiction.

Only thing I wasn't crazy about was the small knife killing the massive rhino beast thing.
Do we know what kind of knife it was?
What if it was one of those crazy knives with the explosive air compression that blows out the end that you can get to fight sharks underwater with?

...wait...I MIGHT just be remembering something from Jaws:the revenge....

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
I figured these would be hour long episodes. 30 minutes is shite.

Enjoyable if a bit fucky at times. Him taking that beast out with one stab with that tiny knife was stupid.

I am enjoying the hell out of this. I am more excited to what happens in this series than TROS.

30 -35 mins per episode is a bit short, but it doesn't bother me as much if the quality is of this level. I would rather have concise stories than bloated ones like pretty much all Netflix shows.

It does feel a bit short per episode, but it's sort of a good sign that you want more.

Overall, it feels like a 45 minute cadence would fit the show best. An hour long would stretch things, but you could fit in a bit more plot or info at 45 minutes.

I feel they've done well with character despite the shorter running time. I saw people have issues with the herder character and learning to ride the beasts, but I feel the interactions between those two characters added a lot to the show. They may be my favorite part of the show so far.

Last edited:

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
I like the series for a number of reasons. For one, it's proof a PG rating doesn't have to mean "tame." The Mandalorian clearly has scruples others don't, but there's still a moral grey area that Star Wars seldom deals with. Is he saving that infant out of the goodness of his heart, or because he's paid more to bring it back alive?

Also, there's something wonderfully surreal to having Werner "fear, desperation and murder" Herzog in a Star Wars production.

Fuz

Banned
The more I think about it, the more flaws I find and the less I like it.

It's really bad writing in a shiny package.

The Mandalorian clearly has scruples others don't, but there's still a moral grey area that Star Wars seldom deals with. Is he saving that infant out of the goodness of his heart, or because he's paid more to bring it back alive?
You're kidding, right? It's a classic redemption story. He will have a change of mind about the bounty and will end up protecting the baby from evil forces instead.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
This is the best Star Wars production of the last 5 years. Quality is crazy good. Cinematography, music, direction, all amazing. Love how it feels like a love story to old Westerns with that Star Wars flair.

daveonezero

Banned
First episode was shit.
Second episode actually had a director. It was enjoyable except for the egg's purpose, the blade, the dialogue and the main dude being shit at his job.
Why are there Jawas on this planet? The sandcrawler setpiece was a damn fine action scene, though.
Disagree on the first episode. Filoni is the one with vision for Star Wars and don’t see the directing issue on it.

The egg I think was supposed to just show Jawas are fucking weird and have off values. Obviously they could never take out the beast.

Poison dagger? Also it is Tatooine.

And ya he isn’t the most powerful but he is still formidable. He took out three Trandoshans.

Not that into the first episode.

When he uses the gun platform...no attached shield? That's an extremely exposed position and worse off than staying behind cover with his pistol. The execution was more camp than cool in the action sequences.

I'll keep watching for the next couple eps though to see where it goes.
To be fair the post-civil war gatling guns from westerns that this show is emulating didn't have shields either. Machine gun shields typically didn't start showing up until single barreled guns such as the Maxim were developed.

I think we can expect a lot of Western genera tropes in this show, even if they can't quite be shoe-horned into the Star Wars universe perfectly.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

Dude’s effeminate as fuck. And this guy’s a professional? He got jumped by two giant tadpoles with legs. If those things can get the jump on him, how the hell is this guy making a living being a “highly skilled” bounty hunter?

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Episode 2 was much more interesting and enjoyable imo. Nice mood and pacing, with some solid cinematography in some shots. Although it's still playing it a bit too safe.
I particularly love the use of animatronics for some of the creatures as it gives them a more tangible and old school feel, and the little "Yodaling" is kind of adorable tbh.

I also like that the score is distinctive and isn't just another case of John Williams worship. Some really good tracks throughout the first couple episodes.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Dude’s effeminate as fuck. And this guy’s a professional? He got jumped by two giant tadpoles with legs. If those things can get the jump on him, how the hell is this guy making a living being a “highly skilled” bounty hunter?

He makes a living by getting the job done even when things go horribly wrong. Being a man isn't about what you do on your best days, but on your worst days.

Are those the blades the Republic Commando units use?

I believe so. Obviously there are variants but from my understanding of the lore the blades have generators in the hilt that cause additional damage beyond merely the "blade". It looks like he stabbed it near the temple too. But honestly, it's Star Wars - realism isn't what I'm here for and I love what the show is doing so far.

vpance

The more I think about it, the more flaws I find and the less I like it.

It's really bad writing in a shiny package.

You're kidding, right? It's a classic redemption story. He will have a change of mind about the bounty and will end up protecting the baby from evil forces instead.

I hope he does a heel turn in the last episode and kills it. Then goes to start a meth lab.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"

Oh, that's entirely possible (if not likely), but it is something you have to think about in that scene.

pramod

Banned
I’m enjoying it, other than the horrible HORRIBLE music score. Seriously the music in this show sucks so far. It’s as bad as Rouge One.

Yeah, so far the only thing I don't like is the weird generic music. Everything else is 10/10.

I'm liking the show so far. Terrific production values have made up for some hit-and-miss dialogue. The episodes should be longer, though. Never thought I'd be into a modern live-action series that makes episodes of The Expanse feel downright lengthy by comparison.

Last edited:
Top Bottom