• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mandalorian |OT| I Have Spoken

I really loved it.
Best Star Wars movie content for me since I left the cinema after watching RotJ in 1983.

They nailed the "fun adventure romp" thing, with likeable characters.
It has a bit too much of fan service in it, but I can forgive that, since the rest is so good.

The whole Jawa scrawler sequence and his interaction with them was so fun and incredibly well done.

Reactions: 888

kingwingin

watched the first episode last night, really enjoyed it. was going to cancel my Disney+ after the free week but i'll keep it for now

VanEs

So, the series seems to be doing pretty well, and the usual suspects hate that because the cast is not woke enough.

Sjw+hate+the+mandalorian+cause+it+lacks+woman_81762e_7400208.jpg

Sjw+hate+the+mandalorian+cause+it+lacks+woman_26ed93_7400208.jpg

Sjw+hate+the+mandalorian+cause+it+lacks+woman_36a619_7400208.jpg

Me? I think I'm watching the first episode tonight. Can't wait!

Shows what they know. I counted two very prominent feminists. Dunno what they're complaining about.

twevuF7.jpg

What is troubling is how short the episodes are. Episode 2 was like half an hour or something.

Pallas

Gold Member
So I skipped ahead in this thread to avoid spoilers, I got a year of Disney + and been watching the movies, currently on Episode 2(did 4,5,6,1 already) after the movies should I watch anything else before this? I realize it’s set well before the events of the movies, so I was just wondering.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
So I skipped ahead in this thread to avoid spoilers, I got a year of Disney + and been watching the movies, currently on Episode 2(did 4,5,6,1 already) after the movies should I watch anything else before this? I realize it’s set well before the events of the movies, so I was just wondering.
It takes place after ROTJ (6) so you should be good.

June

Episode was decent, though very predictable. The action isn't great because there is zero tension, ever.

Episode rank: 2>3>1

Episodes are too short and too little development, but I am really enjoying it.

I disagree. The length is fine. What I like about these streaming shows is that they don't have to be bound by a specific length time. They can vary according to what the story needs without the need for filter. So, say if Episodes 6, 7, 8 need to be 60 minutes long each then they can do that.

jonnyp

I disagree. The length is fine. What I like about these streaming shows is that they don't have to be bound by a specific length time. They can vary according to what the story needs without the need for filter. So, say if Episodes 6, 7, 8 need to be 60 minutes long each then they can do that.

Star Wars is meant to be a Flash Gordon-style serial. The running time fits that.

So you like very little progression in each episode. Ok... I don't.

prag16

Banned
Loved episode 3, even if it was a little predictable.

I like a nice story with a nice pace, which so far I have gotten. Marvel Netflix shows, for instance, were full of fillers that got me bored.

The reason for hour long shows, originally, was due to commercial anyways.
Eh, maybe some of us are spoiled by the ability to binge most streaming shows, but while the show is really good so far, not a ton is really happening each episode, ahead of the next weeklong wait. I feel like an extra 10 minutes per episode would go a long way if utilized correctly.

Loved episode 3, even if it was a little predictable.

Eh, maybe some of us are spoiled by the ability to binge most streaming shows, but while the show is really good so far, not a ton is really happening each episode, ahead of the next weeklong wait. I feel like an extra 10 minutes per episode would go a long way if utilized correctly.

"If utilized correctly" being key here. If the director/producer don't have anything else to add then there's no point.

The Marvel Netflix shows ran out of steam by the 8th episode usually.

Sometimes before that.

Defenders ran out of steam by ep. 4.....Iron Fist by ep. 1....inhumans (not netflix, but still marvel) by the 10th minute.

ExpandKong

Banned
So, the series seems to be doing pretty well, and the usual suspects hate that because the cast is not woke enough.

Sjw+hate+the+mandalorian+cause+it+lacks+woman_81762e_7400208.jpg

Sjw+hate+the+mandalorian+cause+it+lacks+woman_26ed93_7400208.jpg

Sjw+hate+the+mandalorian+cause+it+lacks+woman_36a619_7400208.jpg

How quickly does a female (ah shit I'm sorry, a non-male) need to appear on camera for these people to be satisfied? Is there an amount of time they've all agreed upon? Does it get adjusted over time? What if there is a woman on screen from the very beginning, but she's a stripper and is gyrating in constant view for 50% of the runtime while the real action happens around her, but every few minutes she says that she's doing it ironically as meta commentary about the male gaze or something?

I have so many questions.

But I think I might actually start watching this tonight at least. Anything to try and rinse the puke taste of TLJ out of my mouth.

ManaByte

Gold Member
How quickly does a female (ah shit I'm sorry, a non-male) need to appear on camera for these people to be satisfied? Is there an amount of time they've all agreed upon? Does it get adjusted over time? What if there is a woman on screen from the very beginning, but she's a stripper and is gyrating in constant view for 50% of the runtime while the real action happens around her, but every few minutes she says that she's doing it ironically as meta commentary about the male gaze or something?

I have so many questions.

But I think I might actually start watching this tonight at least. Anything to try and rinse the puke taste of TLJ out of my mouth.

Based on the media Disney sent to the press this morning, Gina Carano shows up next week.

Kadayi

Banned
I thought the 3rd episode was pretty good.

The new armour was badass and I liked him walking into the cantina looking like a dick-swinging pimp.

Can't say I cared for Chekhov Remote Darts getting used straight away but whatever.

Glad neither Carl Weathers or Werner Herzog bit it

Enjoyed the shootout at the end but at the same time, the arrival of the other Mandalorians felt a little unearned and DEM. Would have been happier with his cart trick paying off instead, though I imagine they wanted him and Carl to have that face-off and that wouldn't have happened otherwise. Just felt a little cheesy is all.

Fuz

Banned
Ok, the second episode was quite bad, the writing was terrible, but this third episode was phenomenal. Don't know how they're gonna top that ending.

Kenpachii

They went a bit to far on the fighting personally, was a bit over the top. Would have loved to keep it less. Also the cult seemed a bit forced. I hope they ditch all of this next week and go back to the slow pace solution again.

dan76

A good episode but not as fun as the first two. I can see why some might think it's the best yet as there is a bit more character development.

i was really hoping he would go back for baby Yoda and the rescue was great. The stealth takedowns and cart at the end was another brilliant piece of action. That weird black robot bounty hunter looked pretty good in a 70's android kind of way. What didn't land for me was the Mandalorian cult thing, and them turning up at the end was a bit naff. It's just not interesting to me, the only reason Mandalorian are anythung is because Fett looked so cool.

Small complaint really, but this show is amazing and I'm not sure what will happen next. Can't wait for episode 4.

Last edited:

TheShocker

Awesome episode. I, as we all did, knew he was going to go back for baby Yoda. The stealth kills were awesome. The ending was pretty bad ass too.

GV82

So who kills Baby Yoda?

He’s not in The New Episodes 7-8 (yet?) the Knights of Ren at Luke’s school? Kylo at Luke’s school, you know slaughtering all the Younglings like Grampa Darth did? Will he be seen in a flashback in Episode 9?

or will he survive past Episode 9 because simply he is hidden somewhere and he will be amongst the Last of the Jedi going forward for whatever they do in the future Star Wars Movie. Baby Yoda is the key to the future Jedi going forward ( unless they rename the Jedi - Skywalkers In EPS 9 🙄which is a lame idea imo btw)

Kadayi

Banned
So who kills Baby Yoda?

He’s not in The New Episodes 7-8 (yet?) the Knights of Ren at Luke’s school? Kylo at Luke’s school, you know slaughtering all the Younglings like Grampa Darth did? Will he be seen in a flashback in Episode 9?

or will he survive past Episode 9 because simply he is hidden somewhere and he will be amongst the Last of the Jedi going forward for whatever they do in the future Star Wars Movie. Baby Yoda is the key to the future Jedi going forward ( unless they rename the Jedi - Skywalkers In EPS 9 🙄which is a lame idea imo btw)

Given he's 50 years old and basically a baby I dare say he's still in Space Diapers by the time events of TFA happen.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member

Seriously man, what the fuck. And you just know none of these have watch Annihilation, Atomic blonde or Anna. They just see something big trending and weigh in with their shitty hot takes that all the other loons flock round to, hoping to go viral or get a plug on bbc or some shit.

These are the worst.

I legitimately feel sorry for people who watch television looking for the amount of specific demographics of people in the shows. They must have had really shitty lives to get that way, and I hope they get the help they need from someone.
In short?

It's their BUSINESS.
Never trust a salesman.

desertdroog

I love the lore of the remaining Mandalorians being a cross between Spartan warriors and Ronin Samurai, yet cohesive enough to keep their numbers secret on the quest for more Besker Steel. I want a game that builds on this, giving you the opportunity to choose your armor and having those choices affect your standing in the clan. Be it selfish or for the greater tribal good or honor. Having the ability to get your tribal clan to help you in a pinch or leave you to die if you are too selfish.

The armor smith with her Greek helmet, animal skin cape...man...it's like a cross between Ralph McQuarrie and Frank Frazetta on the big screen.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned

I'd watch Mandalorian stuff from Clone Wars and Rebels.
So who kills Baby Yoda?

We already know of other Jedi. Or at least force users. Ezra and Ashoka.

HotPocket69

Banned
I legitimately feel sorry for people who watch television looking for the amount of specific demographics of people in the shows. They must have had really shitty lives to get that way, and I hope they get the help they need from someone.

I don’t. I hope they stay miserable so I can keep laughing at them.

Top Bottom