• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mandalorian |OT| I Have Spoken

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I think this was all they cared about because it seemed they were pretty against him completing the bounty in the first place
There's a difference between not taking the bounty as an Imperial lapdog vs. killing the bounty requestor after taking the prize. The latter could affect their galactic standing in the bounty business.

Reactions: Fuz

ManaByte

Gold Member
Are they really spending 25 million dollars for episode for the fucking wanda, shehulk and hawkeye?

Who cares about them??

They're considered one of the movies in Phase 4. WandaVision introduces two of the Young Avengers and leads directly into Doctor Strange 2. Hawkeye is also introducing Kate Bishop, again for Young Avengers.

Weiji

Banned
1. Because that's where the parking space for space ships is for that town?

His ship is the only one there, why would you force people to park on ice where monsters can and do break through to attack you / your ship?

2. No one has shot its head before in that scene, so how do you know it would not have that effect on it?

I also found this pretty unbelievable.

3. Well, it's kind of hard to believe. I'd say he got a lucky shot with it. If you'd punch a very small edged object into someones throat and get the right spot, you'd kill that person as well.

I actually told her the little one probably choked it out while it was in the air. Lol.

4. Those people helping him are other Mandalorians, not bounty hunters.

But aren’t they all bounty hunters? Isn’t that like, their whole culture?So wouldn’t breaking bounty law be like breaking their most sacred tradition or something?
My answers in bold.

While I am not sure if it was the Empire that sacked the mandalorian homeworld, the empire does have a lot of the Baskar (sp?) metal that the Mandalorian's want for their armor. I believe baskar is a metal from their homeworld that they view as their birthright and want it back. This is why the Mandalorian's hate the empire, and why the main character is given shit for taking a job for Imperials.

BTW I’m not suggesting that any of these thing don’t or can’t make sense. I’m just pointing out that in the context of the show I didn’t have a good answer for any of them.

The Vitro Blade for example might make sense to the show writers, but to a layperson it just looks like a small knife. A few lines of dialogue could have improved this.

Unless of course they explained how amazing it it somewhere and I just missed that part.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
We saw the vibro blade vibrating this episode at least. To get rid of the suspension of disbelief, they should have briefly mentioned what it was and they should have actually shown what it did to the beast.

A Vibroblade hilt or handle usually contained a compact ultrasonic vibration generator, causing the blade to vibrate at an incredible speed, making even the slightest glancing blow become a gaping wound.

Theoretically the knife could make a big enough wound for Mando to keep pushing forward till he hit a vital point.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Are they really spending 25 million dollars for episode for the fucking wanda, shehulk and hawkeye?

Who cares about them??

Nobody cared about Iron Man or Thor or Captain America either. They were total jokes to non-comic readers.

She-Hulk becoming a household name will happen in our lifetime. Its weird but thats how it goes.

thequestion

How long until the SJ’s and the 3rd wave fems, cancel this show, or force its narrative to change course. There’s a lot of angry, blue haired, chatter on twitter right now.

My solution is that every tv show should be forced to have a warning in the top left corner that when it shows: May contain scenes of violence, tobacco etc, also includes the warning: Contains SJW content. This way, when the SJ’s watch a show that DOESN’T contain that warning, they know not to watch it, and can rather watch safer shows like Doctor Who or Batwoman or whatever.

Fuz

Banned
How long until the SJ’s and the 3rd wave fems, cancel this show, or force its narrative to change course. There’s a lot of angry, blue haired, chatter on twitter right now.
Won't happen, there's Gina Carano on next episode.

And it wouldn't have happened anyway, their outrage counts exactly ZERO.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I've watched 2 episodes and I still don't know where I land on this tv show. At times it looks really off with like the cg and the puppetry but at other times it looks great. It kind of looks/feels like old star wars but a very clean version of it. I think I like it but I'm expecting to be let down.

There's a difference between not taking the bounty as an Imperial lapdog vs. killing the bounty requestor after taking the prize. The latter could affect their galactic standing in the bounty business.

I really don't think the "tribe" cares about the bounty business. I personally think bounty hunting is beneath their culture and simply a means to a greater end. Hence why the main character is mocked by the large Mandalorian and why the direction of the show appears to be heading away from it towards a much larger story. In episodes 1 and 2 our hero's bounties were clearly shown as undignified experiences that tested his pride just as much as his skill.

Also - Carl Weathers mentions in the first episode that the bounty hunting business is booming outside of the guild sanctioned jobs so I highly doubt this incident would have any effect on a galaxy that appears to be largely chaotic during this time period.

So I think this show is popular

Who cares about them??

A lot of people do, but I think that has been misquoted. It's up to 25MM, but it doesn't necessarily mean that all of them will be 25MM per episode. And I bet most of it will go to the talent. VFX and CGI is getting cheaper all the time. Some shows will be cheaper than others, but just like Mandalorian it will be movie quality special effects and production.

Feige got a lot of clout nowadays. My guess is if he wants to make Hawkeye a 25MM per episode show, but Alan Horn (his "boss") says no and they go up the ladder to Iger and the board then I think we get a 25MM per episode Hawkeye show.

Last edited:

GV82

After the reactions I think they may increase the budget for the post production on season 2 or if it’s too late maybe S3, Dave Filoni is no stranger to starting off on a lower budget on Star Wars and having it increase as the series went on.

My guess is after the backlash and not knowing the reception the Mandalorian would have, with them venturing into Live Action Star Wars TV for the firs time is probthe reason a Star Wars Show got a smaller budget than a marvel show.

Or maybe they will stick with a lower budget than marvel? Since it seems okay the way it is and is still very expensive compared to most shows.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

I watched all 3 episodes and I have no reservations in stating, this is the best Star Wars related media I've seen in a long time. It's got a more engaging storyline and characters than the prequels and it's more true to the spirit of the franchise than any of the Disney era films have been.

I can't believe I'm this engaged and excited for a tv show and I really look forward to see what happens next. Oh. and while I think Pedro Pascual has done a stellar job as the lead (without ever showing his face at that), we all know who the real draw to this series is:

baby-yoda-gifs-disney-thumb-700x380-219333.jpg

GreyHorace

The duresteel bucket. Mandalorian "religion", some of the armors, vibroknifes, mandalorian steel...at least for me are things i learned on KoTor games.
Pretty sure the lore of the Mandalorians was already well established in the EU before Bioware did KOTOR. I could be wrong though.

Melon Husk

My only budget related peeve is that the Mandalorian is flying his ship with two Thrustmaster T.16000s. The Martian and even The Expanse, with half the budget per episode, used Warthogs.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
What were the Kotor references?, I must've missed them

*edit* sorry I see you already answered this. Vibro knifes were mentioned in the books from the 90s I'm pretty sure

Vibro blades have been in Star Wars stuff since the 90s. They didn't originate in KOTOR.

Beskar was first named by Filoni in The Clone Wars, that's not from KOTOR either. I don't think there's anything that references KOTOR in the series.

royox

Vibro blades have been in Star Wars stuff since the 90s. They didn't originate in KOTOR.

Beskar was first named by Filoni in The Clone Wars, that's not from KOTOR either. I don't think there's anything that references KOTOR in the series.

W-what about the Mandalorian Wars? D:

manfestival

Finally got around to watching all 3 episodes. The writing is fine but the whole package is so well done. It is nice to have a Star Wars product to deeply care about that is tv/movie related again.
I have spoken.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Watched the first two episodes on my free trial.

It’s certainly free of the criticisms that have plagued Star Wars recently. It’s not destroying canon, it isn’t awful, and for now, there’s zero identity politics nonsense.

Add in that this is a beautifully shot/artistic Tatooine, that like TFA, takes pains to be accurate to the original aesthetic of Star Wars, and all seems good?

Sort of.

It’s also not very exceptional, budget and look aside. Action scenes that should be a high point, are a little clunky, the story isn’t especially compelling, and there‘s just not really a hook to the whole thing. I find my attention wandering halfway through each episode.

I do like that it’s basically a western, right down to the minimal dialogue, and again, beautiful desert settings. Baby Yoda is also basically everything. I’m hoping that with time, this one improves like many great TV shows have. I just don’t have a lot of faith that it won’t rapidly worsen, as with Disney’s treatment of everything else from the series, from films to books to comics.

Edit: I have spoken.

Last edited:
I like westerns and I like (old) Star Wars, and this brings the two together in a way I never would have imagined. I like it. It's kinda cheesy in some ways, and every new piece of Star Wars media raises new questions (Wait, they have glasses in the SW universe?) but overall I'm happy with the show.

MastAndo

Gold Member
Oh, Gina Carano, how I love thee;

UOEl3QR.gif

Gina is looking thicker than a Snicker nowadays, but you won't catch me minding that one bit. She did her thing this episode. Great job in casting a woman who can be fully convincing when she's kicking ass, and she's not that bad of an actress either, at least not in this.

I'm hoping she's not one and done as the episode seems to imply, but either way, I'm just loving this show so much. This episode did seem like a bit of a throw-away in terms of progressing the story of a short season, considering where things leave off leading into next week, but it's hardly a bother. Everything just seems to click to the point where any potential flaws in a particular episode are easily overlooked (at least to me). It's just giddiness the whole way through, even when what's unfolding on-screen might be a bit, well, hokey. Then again, it could be 8 episodes of Mando interacting with Baby Yoda and I'd still find it super entertaining. That little bugger somehow gets more and more impossibly adorable each episode.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Ok. The Mandalorian has done what I thought impossible.

It made an AT-ST a legitimate threat. After being made a joke by the cannibal teddybears in Return of the Jedi, it's great that Mando and Gina Carano's character acknowledge what a danger it is.

This episode had pure Seven Samurai vibes. Bunch of hired guns protecting a village from bandits. Classic as a plot goes, but Lucas was influenced by Kurosawa when he made Star Wars so I guess that's fair.

And Baby Yoda is still fricking cute. Damn it somebody stop it.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Ok. The Mandalorian has done what I though impossible.

It made an AT-ST a legitimate threat. After being made a joke by the cannibal teddybears in Return of the Jedi, it's great that Mando and Gina Carano's character acknowledge what a danger it is.

This episode had pure Seven Samurai vibes. Bunch of hired guns protecting a village from bandits. Classic as a plot goes, but Lucas was influenced by Kurosawa when he made Star Wars so I guess that's fair.

And Baby Yoda is still fricking cute. Damn it somebody stop it.

Those red ‘eyes’ were brilliant too. Legitimately gave me a start when they appeared.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I have to admit, the more I watch, the more I enjoy it.

The story is really coming together, the main character is becoming likable, Baby Yoda is so cute I can’t think straight when it’s on screen, and I really love all the Star Wars worldbuilding.

On that last point, I didn’t really ultimately like Rogue One or Solo, but I did enjoy seeing brand new, modern looks into the Star Wars world, and thought those parts were really well done. Mandalorian is the same. This is a fantastic fantasy universe, and it’s getting put to good use, and even expanded here.

I thought this episode was a bit weak, i was happy they left at the end, i was worried that the village would end up like walking dead season 2 at the farm

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So far the show is striking 100%. 4 for 4 in good episodes.

Not sure where the plot goes from here. The imperials will likely come back with a vengeance which moves the season towards its climax.

Really good episode that flirted with great but fell a little short due to some not great directing IMO

I like Carano but I do not feel she’s an especially talented actress

Strong four episodes thus far, 3 and 4 better than 1 and 2 IMO

Show is in full sprint now and I’m digging it

This is new Star Wars content I’ve been waiting for

and

This Is The Way

maybe off the success of Jedi: Fallen Order we get a single player Mandalorian game?

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
yeah, i dug episode 4 quite a bit

i like how cruddy and beaten everything is, even the optics have an appropriate amount of jank

just as star wars should be, swampy and stained

there's nothing fantastic here with the writing, not anything to the level star wars could be, but it's a bump up from the sequel trilogy trash we've been forced to swallow

Last edited:

Ivory Blood

Baby Yoda possesses lethal amounts of cuteness. This is the first time, I think, where the "mascot" of the show worked on me full stop.

yeah, i dug episode 4 quite a bit

i like how cruddy and beaten everything is, even the optics have an appropriate amount of jank

just as star wars should be, swampy and stained

there's nothing fantastic here with the writing, not anything to the level star wars could be, but it's a bump up from the sequel trilogy trash we've been forced to swallow
Yeah, everything being down to earth and gritty, plus good practical effects, certainly sends me on a trip back to the OT.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
This episode did seem like a bit of a throw-away in terms of progressing the story of a short season, considering where things leave off leading into next week
If there's one bad thing I'd say about the show, it'd be this. I do like the slow-ish (in some ways) pace, but it definitely leaves one with the feeling that.. not a lot is happening. If it was a 12-16 episode season I'd be 100% good with it, but with only four episodes left, hopefully we don't end the season with a "....that's it?" kind of feeling.

dan76

Still good but the poorest episode so far for me. Really like Carano's character and thought she was the best thing in the episode. Some good stuff in there - mainly the action stuff and AT-ST, but some of it was a bit.... twee and Zelda like. Music was awful and with the Seven Samurai vibe it really suffered from being so short, though I'm kind of glad of it.

The more I watch this show the more I think about making a fan edit and what I would cut from each episode. Not much so far, so still way above the Disney movies.

Last edited:
I watched episode 3 last night and i still don't know what to think. It's ok, but i need to see where they take the story from now on.

Top Bottom