• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mandalorian |OT| I Have Spoken

vpance

A few people have touched on this. What the hell is the deal with these magic bounty hunter FOBs...

Is there an in-universe explanation for how they work (and have they been seen before in other canon content)?

Radio Shack toy that can scan light years in distance for a genetic signature seems fine to me.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Radio Shack toy that can scan light years in distance for a genetic signature seems fine to me.

I don't think it scans that far. It may be planet-scale, or even relatively local. Remember, Mando only really uses the tracker in the first episode when he's on the target planet. And in the case of the latest episode, there's a bounty hunter on the planet because "word travels fast" when you stage something conspicuous like, say, fighting off a horde of bandits and destroying an AT-ST. Most likely, bounty hunters rely on initial leads to point them in the right direction, and the tracker only when they believe they're close.

Fuz

Banned
You guys are making up excuses for the show.
It's bad writing that's *not* explained in the show itself.

dan76

Just rewatched episode 4 with my gf. Man some of it was tough to get through. The scenes between Mando and the widow are terrible. I'm thinking with a fan edit this whole episode could be skipped. For me the more we know about him the less interesting he is. The more human he becomes, the less interesting he is. The rate we are going by the end of episode 8 he will be wearing a onesie and be in a school run for baby Yoda.

Please don't fuck it up!

I think the first 3 episodes could've been stretched out over an entire season. A few more bounties at the start, he turns mid season and the season ends with the last shot of episode 3.

GV82

or fending off a mass of hard assed bounty hunters single handedly then he goes to being just completely incompetent. Look, I have no issue with the directors or writers wanting us to show he's human and is fallible, but it has to be believeable. Right now, it's all over the place and it lurches from one schizophrenic encounter to another. He has beskar armour but can be bested in a fistfight. I mean, a motorbike helmet and leathers would offer more protection. He's a well travelled badass bounty hunter but allows a 250lb toad dinosaur to sneak up on him and needs rescuing by a local farmer. I'm just confused as to what regard I'm meant to hold him in right now.

I don’t think Mando is Mandalorian, it’s another case of, like Fett a Character not being Mandalorian again but in the armour of them, only in this case seems he was “adopted/raised by them” so unlike Fett he is a honoury one, but still not born as one.

The actual Badass Mandoloarians are like the big guy that pulled a knife on him in episode 3 (possibly voiced by Favereau?) and the rest of them, the ones who came to rescue him later on.

Once again we are watching a Star Wars Character in Mando Armour who is not actually Mandolorian by birth - Star Wars Be Star Warsin, this is why he is a weaker/incompetent character at least in my mind. Not trying to make excuses for it.

I also get the feeling that some ideas may have been pulled by Favereau and team from the discarded underworld TV show stuff from 2005 that they had 100 episodes plotted out allegedly and possibly the Early beginnings of the now cancelled Trank Fett Movie, but filtered through Favereau & Dave Filloni, maybe they took small smatterings of what existed as plot outlines/concepts etc

As Pablo once said nothing has ever been thrown away from concept art to scripts and so on, there is always a possibility for it to show up elsewhere, even if it’s just elements of it.

yukonrye

Episode was OK. I don't see any woke-ness with having Carano playing an ex-soldier, she's just not that great of an actress. What does bother me is that there are only 4 episodes left and they have yet to introduce whatever characters Giancarlo Esposito and Bill Burr are playing. Just seemed like filler.

Props to making an AT-ST look menacing though.

Episode 4 was terrible. Awful writing and acting.
The "romance" was so cringe.

This episode felt more like xena warrior princess than mandalorian. We thought this series wouldn't be woke, but there it is. The strong waman showing mando how to get things done.

Props to making an AT-ST look menacing though.

The only thing i enjoyed in this episode.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Episode 4 was terrible. Awful writing and acting.
The "romance" was so cringe.

This episode felt more like xena warrior princess than mandalorian. We thought this series wouldn't be woke, but there it is. The strong waman showing mando how to get things done.

The only thing i enjoyed in this episode.

You are so triggered that you see stuff that isn't there.

There's a significant drop of quality from 1-3 to 4, what gives???......and yes there's some 'woke' elements in Ep 4

This dude is supposed to be the best of the bounty hunter, but.......

1. Some armor-less female ex-bounty hunter can sneak up on him?!?! Eventhough the fight was a draw, remember she's armor-less, where he's all geared-up <-- WOKE

2. Two villagers can approach him in the middle of the wood while he's fixing his ship??? really?? an experience hunter would've heard the villagers a mile away and take position, ready to jump

3. He got startled by a little girl in the village?!?! ....and yet he let two villagers approached him in the middle of the wood un-guarded???

4. Again armor-less female ex-hunter did the heavy lifting in the fight against the machine <--- WOKE

5. He got caught off guard in the final scene, again has to be assisted by Gina <--- WOKE

He's suppose to be the best?!?!? What the fuck happened with the writing in Ep 4?!?!

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE EPISODE!! what a fucking let down after the first 3 eps

Last edited:
There's a significant drop of quality from 1-3 to 4, what gives???......and yes there's some 'woke' elements in Ep 4

1. Some armor-less female ex-bounty hunter can sneak up on him?!?! Eventhough the fight was a draw, remember she's armor-less, where he's all geared-up <-- WOKE

2. Two villagers can approach him in the middle of the wood while he's fixing his ship??? really?? an experience hunter would've heard the villagers a mile away and take position, ready to jump

3. He got startled by a little girl in the village?!?! ....and yet he let two villagers approached him in the middle of the wood un-guarded???

4. Again armor-less female ex-hunter did the heavy lifting in the fight against the machine <--- WOKE

5. He caught off guard in the final scene, again has to be assisted by the Gina <--- WOKE

He's suppose to be the best?!?!? What the fuck happened with the writing in Ep 4?!?!

It's 2019. You can't have a male character being competent.
Anita must be satisfied.

One more thing. Baby yoda isn't a character, He is a big piece of merchandise. It's like having a can of coke as a companion. Baby yoda is product placement.

Last edited:
One of the rare times I'm gonna agree with DeafTourette.

The only problem with the character is that Carano's acting doesn't seem great. She certainly looks the part though.
Maybe i'm overreacting. I'm just tired of the woke agenda turning everything to shit.

Let's see what happens next.

daveonezero

Banned

5. He got caught off guard in the final scene, again has to be assisted by Gina <--- WOKE

I don't think he is supposed to be the best. He basically won the lottery with baby Yoda bounty. He doesn't even have a full Mandalorian get up (no jet pack and other things).

She was a shock trooper for the Rebels not a bounty hunter. She is basically best of the best spec ops.

Bounty Hunter doesn't usually have the most skilled warriors. He has decent kit and some training but he isn't a professional operator.

Maybe he knew the villagers were coming. he didn't seem too startled when they came up. They were startled when he responded.

I hat the reactionist point of view. Stop over reacting.

I don't think he is supposed to be the best. He basically won the lottery with baby Yoda bounty. He doesn't even have a full Mandalorian get up (no jet pack and other things).

She was a shock trooper for the Rebels not a bounty hunter. She is basically best of the best spec ops.

Bounty Hunter doesn't usually have the most skilled warriors. He has decent kit and some training but he isn't a professional operator.

Maybe he knew the villagers were coming. he didn't seem too startled when they came up. They were startled when he responded.

WRONG!! Greef and the client repeatedly said he’s the best in the business

stop overreacting?!?! kiss my ass

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Dude its a bounty hunter. Those are the best of the best. And that's what constantly gets said also about him.

This is what made him great in the first episode, silent no over the top bullshit. but takes out a entire room of thugs. Then u see them all frozen in his ship when that guy walks downstairs with him being straight behind him and pushes him in.

It makes it feel like he is in control, knows exactly what he's doing and almost makes it feel like a scary.

Now its just a clown that juggles its way through episodes specially the latest one, where he dies practically almost 3 times every episode. Total lack of control, total lack of good judgement, totally carried by his surroundings.

It's just completely unbelievable to the point u just don't want to watch anymore.

They need to make him smart and tactical and believable as result.

As of now its just cute yoda, but that will get old fast the more he appears.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Episode 4 was pretty cool. I see a lot of people online found it a little half baked but I enjoyed it, was straight forward and showed a little growth for Mando and the baby Yoda. I like how you can see the thing learning, the wheels turning in its head. This ep also finally introduced a few new characters in the same ep that got to speak more than several lines and acted like genuine people (shock trooper and the woman fawning over Mando).

I am enjoying the show. There is a lot of interesting 'deep cuts' for Star Wars fans. References that call up the Ewok Adventures and the Holiday Special, I was not expecting my that.

Episode 4 is a 'bridge' episode for sure.

Also of note are the episode directors. Episode 4 was directed by Bryce Dallas Howard.

prag16

Banned
Why does it need to be explained? It’s a sci fi universe where guns shoot lasers and wizards fight with glow sticks and lightning. Use your fucking imagination.
The "you're just not suspending your disbelief enough" defense for bad writing is not the worst defense, but it's not very good either.

alife

J5HXuWJ.gif

ZaUDA4b.gif

Melon Husk

Jon Favrou write episode 4, so I don't know what gives. The episode was directed by Bryce Dallas Howard. The one from Jurassic World. Daughter of Ron Howard. Was this episode inspired by Xena or Stargate, her childhood shows? Strings were pulled somewhere.

Was it Disney's idea to let her direct a 'female warrior' episode? Why is there so much Baby Yoda product placement in this? Are they re-editing the episodes weeks before release because people like the puppet? With so many questions it goes without saying that this episode was trash.

I don't know where to point the blame. We'll see. The next episode is directed by Dave Filoni.

sol_bad

The "you're just not suspending your disbelief enough" defense for bad writing is not the worst defense, but it's not very good either.

Did they explain how light sabers and light speed worked in the films? How a laser gun works? How carbonate worked? How hover cars worked? Or how hover cars can also fly on Coruscant?

Most technology is not explained in this universe.

I knew you people would get worked up about the "strong woman".. :D
I thought a bit about it, but for me it was fine that she was en par with him.

I mean, she is not some frail looking little lady like the ones in Charlies Angels. She is more like Vaquez in Aliens. Even more muscular.

So in this case, I call "non woke".. If we call every thing "woke" that has a strong woman in it, we won't be taken seriously

And the Villagers approaching him working on his ship: Like someone said, I think he noticed from a mile afar, but decided they are harmless.

eot

Banned
Fucking hell, all this complaining about a seemingly one-off female character is just as annoying as Anita. Stop looking at everything through your own personal political lens.

She's more built than Pedro Pascal anyway, I don't see anyone bitching about that.

Last edited:
Fucking hell, all this complaining about a seemingly one-off female character is just as annoying as Anita. Stop looking at everything through your own personal political lens.

She's more built than Pedro Pascal anyway, I don't see anyone bitching about that.

But he's fully armored and she's not, and he's supposed to be the best hunter in the business.....now after Ep 4 how are we supposed to buy that

I've enjoyed the four episodes. First act, break & next a few more rebel or force sensitive allies gearing up to more action towards end of season.

No issues for me with the strong female characters. We've always had them. Mon Mothma, Leia, Mara Jade (EU/legends), so the "woke" or lack of moaning is just a slight irritant.

If this is an indicator of future SW productions, I'm excited.

Also Mando got the reputation for being the best in the guild with help from the waika bot, baby yoda & the rest of the mandos. So he is very much flawed.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Did they explain how light sabers and light speed worked in the films? How a laser gun works? How carbonate worked? How hover cars worked? Or how hover cars can also fly on Coruscant?

Most technology is not explained in this universe.
It's not so much the technology itself, but more that there is no set of rules given whatsoever. We have the pucks, and the FOBs. How do they work? What type of tracking? Interstellar, planetary, or more local? Maybe we don't 'need' to know, but even in scifi the universe has to have rules.

eot

Banned
But he's fully armored and she's not, and he's supposed to be the best hunter in the business.....now after Ep 4 how are we supposed to buy that
1) They're basically wrestling, I don't see why armor should help that much, SW makes up whatever it wants anyway
2) She's not a bounty hunter
3) Although he gets into a lot of fights, bounty hunter != mercenary

That's just me being devil's advocate, I don't care about this point.

However, in all honesty, he wasn't made out to look like some supreme badass in the three episodes leading up to this either. He fucked up a lot in fact. As far as I remember, all we have to go on is that one line from Werner Herzog, which for all we know could be stroking his ego. Maybe all the other dudes on his backwater planet are chumps.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
Maybe all the other dudes on his backwater planet are chumps.
This..

There is nothing saying he is the "best of the galaxy". He maybe the best bounty hunter in that region but I don't think the standard was very high,.

I think all yall are confusing "The Legend" of mandalorians and how every one assumes they are just bad ass but the reality is he isn't even sure if he wants to be part of the Madalorian cult.

At this point Madalorians are nothing more than a hidden tribe. They were great but this isn't even a full on Mandalorian who grew up on Mandalore. He was taught these things after his parents were killed.

Dude its a bounty hunter. Those are the best of the best. And that's what constantly gets said also about him.

What? no. I don't think so. Bounty Hunter just means you collect bounties. Nothing more. We really don't know anything about his training.

I agree with the sentiment that this was the weakest episode so far, for basically all the reasons everyone else has mentioned.

However, I liked Carano's character and didn't see any wokeness in her. For people wondering how she can punch Mando in the helmet, if you look closely at her gloves you can clearly see the knuckles are armored. I made sure to check that out during a rewatch because the first time I was like wtf.

Here's hoping episode 5 is a return to form.

Mossybrew

What? no. I don't think so. Bounty Hunter just means you collect bounties. Nothing more. We really don't know anything about his training.

Yeah I don't know where folks are getting the idea that a Bounty Hunter = Ultimate Badass in this universe. These first few episodes have shown that clearly he isn't some unstoppable machine and in fact makes some pretty bad choices along the way.

Yeah I don't know where folks are getting the idea that a Bounty Hunter = Ultimate Badass in this universe. These first few episodes have shown that clearly he isn't some unstoppable machine and in fact makes some pretty bad choices along the way.

If anything he seems on the low end of the Mando scale compared to the rest anyway. He was in the right place/right time to get baby Yoda and the big bounty. His ship ain't anything special either. I like that he's a very average joe from what we can tell, it makes him more relatable.

They said she was a Rebel Shock Trooper or whatever.. so she's seen and done some serious shit, I had no issues with her portrayal in this and don't really understand why other people do.

daveonezero

Banned
If anything he seems on the low end of the Mando scale compared to the rest anyway. He was in the right place/right time to get baby Yoda and the big bounty. His ship ain't anything special either. I like that he's a very average joe from what we can tell, it makes him more relatable.

They said she was a Rebel Shock Trooper or whatever.. so she's seen and done some serious shit, I had no issues with her portrayal in this and don't really understand why other people do.
Exactly. The first bounty showed us the ship was a piece of shit. He showed up for the bounty right as the assasin droid and got lots of help. He then won the lottery with baby Yoda.

He doesn't even have a jetpack.

sol_bad

It's not so much the technology itself, but more that there is no set of rules given whatsoever. We have the pucks, and the FOBs. How do they work? What type of tracking? Interstellar, planetary, or more local? Maybe we don't 'need' to know, but even in scifi the universe has to have rules.

I'd assume interstellar since that bounty hunter showed up at the end of episode 4.

Aurelian

I'd assume interstellar since that bounty hunter showed up at the end of episode 4.

That bounty hunter probably just had a lead. Otherwise, the place would've been swarming with them. Remember, part of why that hunter shows up is that word of the bandit fight got out; people wouldn't have been drawn to the planet otherwise.

prag16

Banned
That bounty hunter probably just had a lead. Otherwise, the place would've been swarming with them. Remember, part of why that hunter shows up is that word of the bandit fight got out; people wouldn't have been drawn to the planet otherwise.
Right so probably more local than planetary possibly to avoid being TOO outrageously OP. Just seems kind of goofy. And never heard of this stuff in other canon, unless buried in some comics somewhere.

Last edited:

Aurelian

Right so probably more local than planetary possibly to avoid being TOO outrageously OP. Just seems kind of goofy. And never heard of this stuff in other canon, unless buried in some comics somewhere.

I'd say The Mandalorian is about expanding the canon -- we haven't seen much about bounty hunting in the current form of the extended universe.

The trackers are a good plot mechanic as far as I'm concerned. When you realize that every bounty hunter (at least those around Greef Karga) has a fob, that induces a kind of paranoia that you don't often get in movies or shows, the realization that Mando will be a target so long as Greef and crew have it out for him.

sol_bad

So any female character that is a good fighter is woke? Ginas character is a veteran shock trooper. How the fuck can she not be a badass or at least competent.

If you watch the original trilogy, you'll notice that there are no women in any of the big battles. How dare thy shoehorn a woman in as a Rebel now!!!
/sarcasm

Aurelian

So any female character that is a good fighter is woke? Ginas character is a veteran shock trooper. How the fuck can she not be a badass or at least competent.

This is GAF, remember -- any character with a prominent role that isn't a white straight male is automatically "woke," because surely it's impossible for anyone else to be logically included as a strong character. Hell, I'm surprised folks aren't whining because the lead actor is Hispanic.

desertdroog

Oh no, a woman doing actiony stuff. How horrible. Much woke. Such Anger.

Women have been killing it in action for decades. Some of these posts are sad to see.
I would like to see how pointing out that a bare fisted punch to a steel plate is unbelievable is a problem for you.

Remove the gender and have nondescript person A punch nondescript person B in the face which is covered with a steel helmet. Please let us know what you expect to happen.

Put rings on each of your fingers and do this in real life and let us know how that worked out for you. Hell, use fingerless SAP gloves, even.

I don't care about the gender, as I pointed out the bandits did the same thing to Mando and it was pretty fantastical bull shit, too.

Last edited:

ManaByte

I would like to see how pointing out that a bare fisted punch to a steel plate is unbelievable is a problem for you.

Remove the gender and have nondescript person A punch nondescript person B in the face which is covered with a steel helmet.

Please let us know what you expect to happen.

“bare fisted”

The-Mandalorian-Image-Gina-Carano-Cara-Dune.jpg

sol_bad

Remove the gender and have nondescript person A punch nondescript person B in the face which is covered with a steel helmet. Please let us know what you expect to happen.

Have a nondescript laser hit a nondescript Stormtrooper with armour on. What do you expect to happen?
I think that should tell you how much this franchise doesn't care about armour and what it should do.

desertdroog

Have a nondescript laser hit a nondescript Stormtrooper with armour on. What do you expect to happen?
I think that should tell you how much this franchise doesn't care about armour and what it should do.
I'm willing to give it the benefit of the starwars fantasy doubt, however combat sports, outside of using "THE FORCE" is still combat sports.

For the record, I call bullshit on Mando surviving that Space Rhino charge into his chest, but they pushed the idea that he is a tough guy and that Beskar Steel is something special.

I'm not sure how much canon is being preserved from :

Beskar was one of the toughest and most legendary metals in the galaxy.[1] The alloy could withstand direct blaster fire. Beskar could also withstand the slash and glancing blow of a lightsaber.[5] The metal could also be reforged to any warrior's liking.[1]

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

Pretty sure the fobs have only ever been used on the same planet the target is located on. But hey, maybe they'll dedicate episode 5 to explaining how the fobs work. I guess that'll be "good writing".

It's called "suspension of disbelief". It's a frail thing that needs believable rules the shows adheres on to not be broken and stay coherent.
Not being explained how a fob works broke your suspension of disbelief in this universe?

Last edited:
Top Bottom