• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mandalorian |OT| I Have Spoken

“bare fisted”

The-Mandalorian-Image-Gina-Carano-Cara-Dune.jpg

Mandalorian armor is like the adamantium of Star Wars universe you ding dong

I think KK saw there’s too much toxic masculinity in the first 3 episodes, a brooding alpha male that belongs to a wolf pack which is full of other brooding alpha males..........Her alarm is triggered REEEEEE toxic masculinity! Toxic masculinity! Toxic masculinity!!!

Then she made executive decision, go woke episode 4 or else

I think KK saw there’s too much toxic masculinity in the first 3 episodes, a brooding alpha male that belongs to a wolf pack which is full of other brooding alpha males..........Her alarm is triggered REEEEEE toxic masculinity! Toxic masculinity! Toxic masculinity!!!

Then she made executive decision, go woke episode 4 or else

😂😂😂😂

Last edited:

oagboghi2

There's a significant drop of quality from 1-3 to 4, what gives???......and yes there's some 'woke' elements in Ep 4

This dude is supposed to be the best of the bounty hunter, but.......

1. Some armor-less female ex-bounty hunter can sneak up on him?!?! Eventhough the fight was a draw, remember she's armor-less, where he's all geared-up <-- WOKE

2. Two villagers can approach him in the middle of the wood while he's fixing his ship??? really?? an experience hunter would've heard the villagers a mile away and take position, ready to jump

3. He got startled by a little girl in the village?!?! ....and yet he let two villagers approached him in the middle of the wood un-guarded???

4. Again armor-less female ex-hunter did the heavy lifting in the fight against the machine <--- WOKE

5. He got caught off guard in the final scene, again has to be assisted by Gina <--- WOKE

He's suppose to be the best?!?!? What the fuck happened with the writing in Ep 4?!?!

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE EPISODE!! what a fucking let down after the first 3 eps
When was he ever the best?

When he was almost shot in the first ep, almost gored by a rhino in the second episode or ambushed and surronded in the third episode.

I swear, you people look for any reason to scream SJW. A former imperial shock trooper being a good fighter isn't a big deal. Get over it.

This is GAF, remember -- any character with a prominent role that isn't a white straight male is automatically "woke," because surely it's impossible for anyone else to be logically included as a strong character. Hell, I'm surprised folks aren't whining because the lead actor is Hispanic.
god, you people are so full of shit.

Last edited:

yoprime

Neo Member
Honestly think shit is being written week to week and all of a sudden a new director fucked shit up to be all WOKE ?....... Nah this script and story was plot out ages ago, they likely chose the director around the content for the episode. A plot point driven by female soldier, who better to direct then a female who might not show the actresses ass cheeks clapping in every scene.

To suggest any guest director rocks up on set and just changed the entire story is ridiculous to fit their agenda is ridiculous. A director's job is to see the writers content come to life.

Last edited:
Honestly think shit is being written week to week and all of a sudden a new director fucked shit up to be all WOKE ?....... Nah this script and story was plot out ages ago, they likely chose the director around the content for the episode. A plot point driven by female soldier, who better to direct then a female who might not show the actresses ass cheeks clapping in every scene.

To suggest any guest director rocks up on set and just changed the entire story is ridiculous to fit their agenda is ridiculous. A director's job is to see the writers content come to life.

not necessarily

scripts can be adjusted. They could come up with first 3 finished episodes, showed them to the executives and higher-ups to get some feedback, then adjust.......I think that's what happened here, considering massive change of tone and quality....for the worse

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You are so triggered that you see stuff that isn't there.

I saw this thread for the first time today thinking, "man it'll be awesome to converse with my GAF crowd about this good Star Wars show that I like". And then I see stupid "woke" comments like that and realize this is a mistake. I think I'll just watch and enjoy the show without you guys.

The anti-woke people hate seeing women doing anything other than cooking and cleaning it seems.

GreyHorace

The anti-woke people hate seeing women doing anything other than cooking and cleaning it seems.
Nice to see the SJW crowd invoke that strawman again.

For the record, I had no problem with Gina Carano's character. I did have a problem though (like so many people here), that she could beat on a fully armored Mandalorian in a fist fight.

But yeah, ignore the arguments that have been made in this topic and go back to using that tired old sexist stereotyping.

mckmas8808

Nice to see the SJW crowd invoke that strawman again.

For the record, I had no problem with Gina Carano's character. I did have a problem though (like so many people here), that she could beat on a fully armored Mandalorian in a fist fight.

But yeah, ignore the arguments that have been made in this topic and go back to using that tired old sexist stereotyping.

Yall's argument is tired. If that's your only issue, then why do people have to say the show is going "WOKE" or playing the "SJW" card. As if the character was a man, yall would have been okay with him beating up a fully armored Mandalorian in a fist fight. That's my problem with you people.

You seem to have a bigger issue that it was a woman, instead of the fact that he was armored. Plus I wouldn't say she "beat" him. If he really needed to fight for his life, he would have kept going with the fight. They ended by pointing their blasters at each other while they were both on the ground. Neither really wanted to beat up the other. It was a neutral fight in the end. Nobody lost.

Last edited:

desertdroog

Beskar steel can stop direct blaster fire, so he let her live.

It's a stupid trope where two known parties fight out their frustrations to grow commradarie for an upcoming larger battle (this whole episode was a fast tracked trope that takes full length movies to develop correctly, at least they tried). Only this time, they ignore StarWars canon regarding actual non-plot armor (kinda) to do the scene. Usually combatants take off their effects to do equal combat, but they are tied to the whole, Mandalorian honor system of never removing their helmets, so nondescript person/alien can punch them full force in the steel plate protected head and face and affect the armored person.

It's dumb and it is being pointed out within the confines of the universe lore. This is a critique on the writing more than gender theory.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Yall's argument is tired. If that's your only issue, then why do people have to say the show is going "WOKE" or playing the "SJW" card. As if the character was a man, yall would have been okay with him beating up a fully armored Mandalorian in a fist fight. That's my problem with you people.

You seem to have a bigger issue that it was a woman, instead of the fact that he was armored. Plus I wouldn't say she "beat" him. If he really needed to fight for his life, he would have kept going with the fight. They ended by pointing their blasters at each other while they were both on the ground. Neither really wanted to beat up the other. It was a neutral fight in the end. Nobody lost.
Two things.

First, I find the arguments and insinuations that this episode went woke pretty stupid too. The takes made by people like Jeremy Hambly of the Quartering and Ethan Van Scriver are quite laughable. The episode wasn't the best, but that was more due to shoddy direction rather than any wokeness. Again, you claim that I had a problem with Gina Carano, when I specifically said in my post I had no problem with her aside from that fight.

Second, the fight between Mando and Cara Dune was awful, whether or not a woman was involved. It's still crazy that a human (even a former Shock Trooper) can go toe to toe with a Mandalorian clad head to toe in freaking Beskar armor. If it was someone stronger than a human, like say, a Wookie, I'd believe Mando getting thrown around like he was. It was a fault more in the direction and screenwriting more than anything.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Momentum is how she "hit" him. Her hands were gloved/armored knuckles. It's how you could hit someone with a motorcycle helmet on and still cause them to be hurt.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Two things.

First, I find the arguments and insinuations that this episode went woke pretty stupid too. The takes made by people like Jeremy Hambly of the Quartering and Ethan Van Scriver are quite laughable. The episode wasn't the best, but that was more due to shoddy direction rather than any wokeness. Again, you claim that I had a problem with Gina Carano, when I specifically said in my post I had no problem with her aside from that fight.

Second, the fight between Mando and Cara Dune was awful, whether or not a woman was involved. It's still crazy that a human (even a former Shock Trooper) can go toe to toe with a Mandalorian clad head to toe in freaking Beskar armor. If it was someone stronger than a human, like say, a Wookie, I'd believe Mando getting thrown around like he was. It was a fault more in the direction and screenwriting more than anything.

But he's NOT a Mandalorian. Not by DNA. He was adopted into their culture as a young boy.

Plus, if anyone has problems with Cara hitting him with his helmet on, then you have a problem with Han, Luke, Leia, Chewey, etc punching fully armored Storm Troopers

Leaving to the side whether it's SJW or woke or not, I do find it a bit disappointing how incompetent this guy seems to be a lot of times.

During the fight with the lady character, it really annoyed my how he activated his flamethrower before it was even pointed at the enemy. He used it at entirely the wrong time and seemingly forgot how to effectively use it. It was like how newbies start panicking in a MOBA and activate all their abilities. Isn't he a trained, experienced fighter from a warrior tribe? Isn't he one of the best bounty hunters in the guild? Isn't he equipped with the best weapons and armor? Come on man.

Another example is the mudhorn fight. When he was fighting this thing, he seemed weirdly incompetent, but I attributed it to him not being familiair with the planet and its creatures. Then, in one of the following scenes, he just says "Yeah it was a mudhorn." If he knows that much, then why doesn't he know how to effectively kill this thing? That scene had to happen this way to showcase baby Yoda's force use, but it went at the expense of the MC. It would have been better if the Mandalorian tried to lure the beast out of its cave, but the plan to kill it failed because the beast started charging at Yoda or something.

Plus, if anyone has problems with Cara hitting him with his helmet on, then you have a problem with Han, Luke, Leia, Chewey, etc punching fully armored Storm Troopers
Nobody knows why Stormtrooper armor is even a thing. It's entirely useless. Stormtroopers' incompetence is a meme at this point, and it's honestly kind of disappointing.

But I also think it's unfair to compare those two. The main character was adopted as a child and supposedly received training to turn him into a warrior and integrate him into this secretive and dedicated tribe. He has armor made of super special metal that the Empire was trying to keep out of the tribes' hands because of how cool it was or something. Everytime it's emphasized how special this material is, and how good of an armor it makes. That's different from Stormtroopers, who just wore armor for the sake of looking cool.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

But he's NOT a Mandalorian. Not by DNA. He was adopted into their culture as a young boy.

How is being a Mandalorian by DNA significant? My understanding is that they are simply normal humans with a warrior culture. Nothing in the lore states that they're enhanced in any way. And yes, he was raised in their ways and wears their signature armor. For all intents and purposes, he's one of them.

And where did they punch Stormtroopers in the OT? I seem to remember the main cast blasting them for the most part.The only one who got his hands dirty smashing troopers is Chewie. And are you going to tell me a 7 foot wookie who, in Han Solo's own words, 'rips people's arms out of their sockets' would have problems with them?

Plus, everyone knows Stormtrooper armor is crap.

desertdroog

Let's get Storm trooper armor in here for comparison, yes anyone punching armor without a similarly armored greave is dumb and terrible writing if the human punching doesn't have the realistic reaction after cracking their hand bones. Love Han Solo, but he isn't a Wookie.

It's a plastoid combination that can withstand a glancing blaster shot. Certainly not as robust as Beskar steel.

Let's just hope no director/writer makes a character pull a maneuver where they catch a lightsaber between their hands in a clapping motion...we can agree that is stupid...right?

Last edited:

oagboghi2

not necessarily

scripts can be adjusted. They could come up with first 3 finished episodes, showed them to the executives and higher-ups to get some feedback, then adjust.......I think that's what happened here, considering massive change of tone and quality....for the worse
What massive change in tone? They took one of the oldest western tropes (samurai save a village) and stars wars it up. That’s it.

I’m not sure what you guys saw in previous episodes that make you think Mando is impervious.

mckmas8808

Two things.

Okay then we agree somewhat. I thought it was silly that he turned on his flamethrower extra early as if he didn't know how to use it. But weirdly enough, that lead me to think "oh they'll end up being friends because clearly they didn't want this Shock Trooper to die or get hurt". I did think that was silly writing too.

Criticize anything with a woman in it: "OMG why do you hate women?"

Every form of entertainment made in the west these days, be it movie, tv or videogames is plagued with woke propaganda. It's clear as day.
There are exceptions. Like wonder woman or alita.

I watched episode 4 and i think it looks like woke propaganda. But maybe it's due to bad writing, direction, acting.
Turns out the episode was directed by a woman: "OMG why do you hate women???"

I need to see more episodes to decide where the mandolorian falls in the wokemeter scale.

Last edited:

dan76

The women in it were fine, well, I like Carano's character a lot, the trouble with the episode was the fucking awful tone of it. What the hell happened to the music - I watched a reaction vid somewhere and they commented on the "Hallmark" music. Spot on. Sentimental when it didn't need to be. Amateurish scenes between Mando and the village woman and poorly directed action sequences.

All the previous episodes have had stand out sequences and I guess that's what the AT-ST is supposed to be, but it' fails. My girlfriend pointed out how crap it was compared to the previous episode where Mando rescues baby yoda.

I've not seen any wokeness yet, just generic tv tropes creeping in.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Criticize anything with a woman in it: "OMG why do you hate women?"

Every form of entertainment made in the west these days, be it movie, tv or videogames is plagued with woke propaganda. It's clear as day.
There are exceptions. Like wonder woman or alita.

I watched episode 4 and i think it looks like woke propaganda. But maybe it's due to bad writing, direction, acting.
Turns out the episode was directed by a woman: "OMG why do you hate women???"

I need to see more episodes to decide where the mandolorian falls in the wokemeter scale.

The episode was still written by Favreau.

sol_bad

I saw this thread for the first time today thinking, "man it'll be awesome to converse with my GAF crowd about this good Star Wars show that I like". And then I see stupid "woke" comments like that and realize this is a mistake. I think I'll just watch and enjoy the show without you guys.

It's hard but try to ignore them. Some of us enjoy the show including episode 4. It's the weakest episode for me personally but it's because it felt episodic and didn't add anything to the overarching story.
It's visuals were very nice, it was directed well and Cara Dune kicked arse.

daveonezero

Banned
It's hard but try to ignore them. Some of us enjoy the show including episode 4. It's the weakest episode for me personally but it's because it felt episodic and didn't add anything to the overarching story.
Yeah I'm actually ok with episodes being more self contained. I don't need a movie spanning hours.

Fuz

Banned
My two cents.

I don't think the episode was "woke" at all. Gina isn't an amazing actor (does she have a paresis that she can't ever stop smirking?) but she is a good choice for the role, she's a badass and believable as a soldier. Finally.

There is, however, the matter of "why". Why did they felt they needed to write her character? Do they need her to enrich the story or was she forced in to accomodate the crazy and avoid the usual, annoying, twitter outrage?
Personally I find that Mando would have been a more interesting character if he were a lone wolf through and through and the episode would have been better.

Summing it up, I don't mind her but I'd rather they write for the story itself instead of forcing elements in.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I think it was very, very ‘woke-Lite’.

It was so subtle, that I didn’t really care to mention it until it became a thing. There’s elements of woke writing in the portrayal, but nowhere near the stupidity we usually see, and quite tolerable.

I don’t blame people for calling it out before it gets worse, with how these things usually go, and the recent history of this franchise, but I honestly just had fun with the episode, and liked her character. Great casting too.

ManaByte

Gold Member
My two cents.

I don't think the episode was "woke" at all. Gina isn't an amazing actor (does she have a paresis that she can't ever stop smirking?) but she is a good choice for the role, she's a badass and believable as a soldier. Finally.

There is, however, the matter of "why". Why did they felt they needed to write her character? Do they need her to enrich the story or was she forced in to accomodate the crazy and avoid the usual, annoying, twitter outrage?
Personally I find that Mando would have been a more interesting character if he were a lone wolf through and through and the episode would have been better.

Summing it up, I don't mind her but I'd rather they write for the story itself instead of forcing elements in.

As far as lore goes, she was a Rebellion shock trooper who was mopping up the mess after Endor. That shows that after Jedha, the "squeaky clean" Rebellion embraced and supported the more hardcore tactics taken by Saw Gerrera and his Partisans, which they shunned in Rogue One.

mckmas8808

Those are my exact feelings on this episode.

My two cents.

Mando hasn't been by himself this whole series. He's been getting help this whole time (which is ironic).

Jooxed

Gold Member

I thought the episode was good

i would say some of the people around here are getting a little intolerable with the sexism if there’s a woman on their show doing anything more than general housekeeping.

however I wish her character had more of a point than just one episode, maybe she became part of the crew. Just seemed odd to throw her in there and then leave.

The episode was still written by Favreau.
Yup. And it worries me. He's supposed to be the big guy behind this project.

I was done with star wars after the last jedi. But i was kinda hoping the mandolorian could save the brand.

The first episodes were good. But it's becoming "The Adventures of Plushie Toy and his Sidekick the Bumbling Mandalorian."

I thought the episode was good

i would say some of the people around here are getting a little intolerable with the sexism if there’s a woman on their show doing anything more than general housekeeping.

however I wish her character had more of a point than just one episode, maybe she became part of the crew. Just seemed odd to throw her in there and then leave.

Poor strawman just wants his house clean.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
Yup. And it worries me. He's supposed to be the big guy behind this project.

I was done with star wars after the last jedi. But i was kinda hoping the mandolorian could save the brand.

The first episodes were good. But it's becoming "The Adventures of Plushie Toy and his Sidekick the Bumbling Mandalorian."

Poor strawman just wants his house clean.

I'm sorry is the strawman card your only argument? GG

Last edited:

desertdroog

As far as lore goes, she was a Rebellion shock trooper who was mopping up the mess after Endor. That shows that after Jedha, the "squeaky clean" Rebellion embraced and supported the more hardcore tactics taken by Saw Gerrera and his Partisans, which they shunned in Rogue One.
This is a movie I want to see. The rebels getting their hands dirty, finishing up the Empire remnants. Hell even a series with her as one of the main stars would be awesome.

-Arcadia-

Banned
What time do these usually get uploaded? Any chance of around or close to midnight?

I need more Baby Yoda. ❤

...I guess the other guy is ‘aight. :messenger_unamused:

GymWolf

Ok ok i have to admit, little yoda is the cutest shit ever...

Gina carano was surprisingly not horrible in the 4th episode...

-Arcadia-

Banned
New episode existed.

That’s pretty much how I feel about it. Didn’t do anything bad, wasn’t really memorable either. Not the first time I’ve felt like this about the show.

I overall find it worthwhile to keep engaging with it, but I certainly don’t think this is the return to form some people wanted to paint it as.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Good episode. Lots of stuff to like. Visiting Tatooine and Mos Eisley was a nice trip down memory lane. I thought Toro was a good character who could've been written like the stereotypical wet behind the ears rookie bounty hunter, but he showed more complexity than that at least. I knew he was going to betray Mando once he learned about what happened with the Guild on Nevarro. Seeking a better deal is what any self respecting bounty hunter would do.

And it's always a pleasure to see Ming-Na Wen again. I do hope she isn't dead, as the end of the episode somewhat hinted she might appear again.

And Baby Yoda continues to be cute and winning.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Additionally, it’s kind of crazy how incompetent this character continues to be.

Saved by literal plot armor three times.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Where's the incompetence? I thought he acquited himself well in this episode.

Getting shot the first time was sort of acceptable. Getting shot the second time because he couldn’t get his slow ass under cover elicited laughter. Getting shot a third time on the bike just had me wondering how this guy even made it past his first week on the job

It’s also built up over time. It’s every episode that he does some dumb thing, makes a poor tactical decision, or just looks completely inept.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

GreyHorace

Getting shot the first time was sort of acceptable. Getting shot the second time because he couldn’t get his slow ass under cover elicited laughter. Getting shot a third time on the bike just had me wondering how this guy even made it past his first week on the job

It’s also built up over time. It’s every episode that he does some dumb thing, makes a poor tactical decision, or just looks completely inept.
They were dealing with an elite assassin and even Mando admits that the Beskar saved his ass.

I think the show has done a good job in showing what a dangerous occupation bounty hunting is. Even the best like Mando only survive through sheer dumb luck.

-Arcadia-

Banned
They were dealing with an elite assassin and even Mando admits that the Beskar saved his ass.

I think the show has done a good job in showing what a dangerous occupation bounty hunting is. Even the best like Mando only survive through sheer dumb luck.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. I’m glad if it works for you.

I’ve personally found this character extremely underwhelming since the first fight scene started. It’s beginning to look like dumb luck to me all the time, versus skill.

Top Bottom