• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mandalorian |OT| I Have Spoken

GreyHorace

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. I’m glad if it works for you.

I’ve personally found this character extremely underwhelming since the first fight scene started. It’s beginning to look like dumb luck to me all the time, versus skill.
Hey man. You're talking to a guy who's extremely picky of what TV and movies he watches nowadays. I have little tolerance for stupidity and boredom and so far this show hasn't peaked for me on both fronts. That may change in the future, but so far, I'm enjoying it.

dan76

Loved episode 5. Thank Christ it's a massive improvement over episode 4.

Great to be back on Tatooine and see some familiar places. Sand People and Banthas - check. Mando riding a Dewback is fantastic. Also great to go back to the old Cantina, I would have liked to see more aliens in there, I wanted more of it but Tatooine was pretty deserted. Speaking of which

I've noticed that there seems to be a lack of atmosphere in some of the bars and interior meeting places. I think it's something to do with the audio mix, I expect to hear more background music or talking. Something feels a bit empty about this show. Maybe it's a budget thing? Perhaps a bit more smoke and better lighting would do it.

Either way, back on form this episode, but it looked a bit cheaper.

Last edited:

June

Another good ep after ep 4. This is prob my 2nd fave ep so far.

Both characters were really good additions i thought. Well acted and fit in well. The mechanic woman is really funny. and the story was a simple one about partnership and trust and betrayal, simple but good.

Mando made 2 really dumb decisions this ep. 1) leaving the baby unattended and unhidden and thinking it wouldnt get found, and 2) telling the bounty hunter to meet him at where his ship and yoda were located - thats like the number 1 rule with your home address and strangers.. dont give it out freely nor get dropped off/picked off right outside it so theyll know where it is

Also i felt that killing the target was dumb on the hunters part. he probably could have used her as bait/distraction to get the upper hand on mando, rather than killing her and tipping him off.

Also, was that literally the same bar and place as the han n greedo stand off? Did Mando just land in Mos Eisley by chance? Stuff like that can make the galaxy feel really small, but maybe im missing something here

Last edited:
I liked it. The OT/PT nods were nice. Story was ok.

4 & 5 feel more like what I thought we'd be getting from this show from the beginning. I think 1-3 were better together.

30 minute episode times are hard, you can't really do a deep dive into anything before you run out of time. I wish these were an hour, but on the other hand, this will probably make for a fun 4-5 hour binge run when it's all said and done.

Are we getting 7 or 8 episodes this season? I can't remember.

Jooxed

Gold Member
If you don’t like it, there’s always that other forum you can go to. Over there they cheer for things like Gillette ad, Terminator, Charlie’s Angels, etc

Right here we tell it like it is, if it’s woke we call it out, deal with it

133.jpg

This is two meh episodes in a row for me. I guess that was Gus Fring at the end?

After episode 1 it kinda got more meh each episode. Having said that i have scheduled work from home days every Friday until the season is over....

Fuz

Banned
Still shitty writing packed in a very beautiful way. The space combat is pretty cool and I want more of that. That other guy is unsufferable, and not in a good way.

How did he knew his name, by the way? Mando never introduced himself in the bar, and we saw the full interaction between them.
And what the fuck was his reason for leaving his dead quarry behind? Makes no sense, he could have been back to the guild with two targets instead of one.

I swear, a stupid 8 year old kid is writing this show.

Last edited:
Extremely cruel move using the same sound effects Boba Fett makes in the final scene teaser (the "spur" footsteps in Empire, and the beeping when he's in Slave 1 in Empire and walking in the ANH Jabba scene). No way that's gonna be him.

Ep 5 felt very short to me.

Two things that weren't clear to me: 1. Why his dogfighting style was like that? Assume it has to do with his ship, which can really take a hit. 2. The idea of him being broke didn't make sense to me. I guess he spends all his earnings on armor. Felt like he should have more $$$.

Kenpachii

Good episode and probably the best after the opener.

Nice twists and well done overal specially at the end. Made him feel a lot more capable then in the past episodes.

I liked the support cast. really well done and felt more like what i wanted out of the show.

However the episode was far to short. They need to be longer.

Last edited:

John Day

Liked this episode, although, considering he is on the run and trying to lay low, he’s too trusting maybe? Aware, but too trusting.

And holy shit fanservice galore!

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
In the art after the end of the episode was that Orlando Bloom on one of the bikes next to the Mandalorian?

Last edited:
Better than last weeks episode, but still pretty flat and bland.
Surprised that Ming-Na's character got killed, considering she was a veteran soldier etc and because of the "strong woman" narrative that modern Star Wars pushes. Those three workshop droids and their slapstick shtick werent a welcome sight. Comedy in Star Wars from the prequels onwards, hasnt been great.
I really just watch this show now because Mando looks cool and I like the special effects. I dont really care too much about the story or any of the characters.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
If you don’t like it, there’s always that other forum you can go to. Over there they cheer for things like Gillette ad, Terminator, Charlie’s Angels, etc

Right here we tell it like it is, if it’s woke we call it out, deal with it
Are you seriously telling me to leave? If anyone needs to leave and if you don’t like the show why don’t you leave the thread? We don’t need the same brain dead criticism in every pop culture thread.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
I flipped on this episode. I though it kinda sucked. I hated the other bounty hunter,. The Mando seemed like a goofball and made stupid decisions. Also some misteps. I can tell they are trying to make it more of a one of each episode (in the way of Clone Wars and Rebels) which is cool but in my opinion there were just some weak points and it cam across cheesy and too child like.

Don't show anyone a baby Yoda. Clearly people know what happened.
Don't run out in the open and then ride out in the open (although the flares were a good strategy)

It did look good and had some good moments. The bikes, the dogfight and the sniper. End scene was ok but Baby Y should have been floating instead of hiding behind a barrel.
it took the 80s TV show intro a little too seriously :)

Last edited:

GV82

This is what I was talking about, doesn't the guy on the left look more like Orlando Bloom than the dude he rode with?

Xk1t0Fa.png

Yeah concept art sometimes differs from the end product, maybe the artist was asked to interpret what Orlando bloom would have looked like in the role, or maybe it’s a coincidence he looks a bit like bloom & it’s the artists style or the artist is a big fan of bloom & draws their characters like celebs etc, there was concept art for Brad Pitt as Cable In Deadpool 2 for example & people were convinced he was going to be Cable, Instead Pitt just had a Cameo, (maybe bloom may get a Cameo in something Star Wars one day, maybe not) I wouldn’t read to much into it, unless he was asked & turned it down but I doubt it.

desertdroog

For being such an out of way, backwater planet, Tattooine gets quite a bit of action. Which is fine by me, it works nostalgia in a good way. Best part of the episode was the interaction with the Tusken Raiders (pushing the idea of natives interacting with pale faces using sign language and trade to get where you need to go - keep on pushing the Western genre, it works!) and the call back to the Hutts via the assasin's previous work (really more want lore building with Nal Hutta and Hutts in general - Jabba was the best part about ROTJ, for me. That boss had a mofacky Rancor for entertainment!)

Better than the last episode, I am begrudginly accepting that this first season is showing how not-bad assed Mando is and probably is only as good as the Beskar steel armor he wears, but only because of it (he's no Boba Fett, but I figured that would be the case before starting this series). Without it, he wouldn't have a story. Carl Weather's character really hyped him up, and I believed it, now I'm not so sure.

eot

Banned
I thought it was alright but the show is too simplistic for me to really get into it. It has to be more than this if it wants to keep going IMO

GV82

Few thoughts this week.

Very cheesy 80’s TV style episode as pointed out above, It felt almost like that kid was going to be the annoying comic relief side kick like Rob Schneider in Judge Dredd or any of those stereotypical sidekicks from any 80’s movies, but he wasn’t that bad thankfully.

I’m starting to remind myself that some TV shows first season aren’t always the best, some always just start out okay to good, but with some standout episodes (even some of the best shows on TV like Breaking Bad etc their 1st season isn’t always the best) so i’m putting it out there as a excuse & also a reminder to others also that maybe this may get even better in future seasons 2, 3 onwards hopefully, that’s been true in regards to the shows Dave Filloni has worked on from Avatar The Last Airbeder to Clone Wars & Rebels (although Rebels suffered from a lot of decent/great episodes it was amongst many filler episodes ) hopefully having Favereau onboard though will steer us away from that next season, but maybe not.

In the Regards to the above expect some very Dave Filloni esque very surprising Fan Service Cameos in the future too which will drive Audiences wild with either love or disdain depending on how much you like or dislike that sort of thing, it could be anything from a fan favourite EU Legends Character might show up (like when Thrawn in Rebels or almost having Revan in Clone Wars to Mark Hamill voicing Darth Bane in the Clone Wars i’m not saying those will turn up, but well known characters of that nature ) or I wouldn’t be too shocked to see Ewan McGregor cameo before his series starts, but Obi Wan is dead I hear you yell, ahh but have you heard about flashback sequences? maybe Mando comes across Obi Wan when he was a child, Star Wars does afterall enjoy linking things together, which will either make some fans ecstatic whilst others will roll their eyes so hard, that they will probably start to despise the show.

I need the Artbook of the show, every week my favourite part is looking at the Artwork in the End Credits.

Weakest episode for me so far, but I didn’t hate it, just a take it or leave it type feeling and I’d probably skip over it for a rewatch.

oagboghi2

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. I’m glad if it works for you.

I’ve personally found this character extremely underwhelming since the first fight scene started. It’s beginning to look like dumb luck to me all the time, versus skill.
how is this dumb luck? This is exactly why you wear armor?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
And why the fuck did he broke the tracking fob?

Same reason he didn't want to leave Mando with her and the bike. He doesn't trust Mando with his bounty. With no tracker, Mando has to let Toro live.

Fuz

Banned
Same reason he didn't want to leave Mando with her and the bike. He doesn't trust Mando with his bounty. With no tracker, Mando has to let Toro live.
Both scenes are idiotic. How do you track her withot the fob? "I HAVE IT MEMORIZED LUL!!1!" Yeah, because she's supposed to never move from that spot, ever.
Why Mando accept this whiny guy terms and leave the rookie with an expert fucking dangerous assassin? Mando is an idiot, apparently.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Dude knew where she was. She could be camping in a certain area because she lives there or is already stalking her for ages so he knows everybody about her. Also those 2 they encountered to let them through could have told him it. Dude is a expert in tracking people and in that desert its probably not that hard to find people as there are only a handful of locations people can survive. So it made sense to me.

The other part, what choice did he had? stay there forever? Dude isn't trusting him, he needs money so he just proceeds. It backfires on him and he eliminates the guy, gets his money and moves away.

Seemed to make a lot of sense to me.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Dude knew where she was.
And if she moved?
And he knew the general area, not the right spot, that's why Mando realize she's close and he's in danger when he sees the dead hunter's fob flashing.

Iditic move, stop trying to make excuses for poor writing.

The other part, what choice did he had? stay there forever? Dude isn't trusting him, he needs money so he just proceeds. It backfires on him and he eliminates the guy, gets his money and moves away.
Lots of other choices, he had the upper hand on the rookie. How stupid can you be to leave a frigging rookie at this first job with a trained high-level assassin alone?

Again, this show must be written by an 8 year old, that's the only explanation.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Mandalorian is a tough proposition to casual Star Wars fans, the recent episode 5 looked really good, if you played Bounty Hunter on PS2 this show could open up your imagination. Hardcore Star Wars fans are in love with this show and Baby Yoda lol
qW42UDj.png

So damn cute...

GreyHorace

Mandalorian is a tough proposition to casual Star Wars fans, the recent episode 5 looked really good, if you played Bounty Hunter on PS2 this show could open up your imagination. Hardcore Star Wars fans are in love with this show and Baby Yoda lol
qW42UDj.png

So damn cute...
About damn time. Though not in time for Christmas. A shame.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
About damn time. Though not in time for Christmas. A shame.
the fact that Disney of all companies did not see the Christmastime marketing potentials of Baby Yoda is legit blowing my mind. are they planning anything at all over there? guess they don't need to, just slam that nostalgia button over and over again. amazing how little thought is put into any of this.

GreyHorace

the fact that Disney of all companies did not see the Christmastime marketing potentials of Baby Yoda is legit blowing my mind. are they planning anything at all over there? guess they don't need to, just slam that nostalgia button over and over again. amazing how little thought is put into any of this.
To be fair, I read Jon Favreau asked the higher ups at Disney to not make merchandise of Baby Yoda so as not to spoil his appearance in the first episode. An understandable precaution, but no baby Yoda plushies for Christmas sadly.

dionysus

Yaldog
I have specific tastes. I like character driven stories.

This shows to me is going for mood, atmosphere, nostalgia, and action. I like all that but I those are the side dishes for me. There is just no main course here.

Almost everyone I encounter in real life and non-gaf internet loves it.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Still shitty writing packed in a very beautiful way. The space combat is pretty cool and I want more of that. That other guy is unsufferable, and not in a good way.

How did he knew his name, by the way? Mando never introduced himself in the bar, and we saw the full interaction between them.
And what the fuck was his reason for leaving his dead quarry behind? Makes no sense, he could have been back to the guild with two targets instead of one.

I swear, a stupid 8 year old kid is writing this show.

Uh, his name isn't Mando.

daveonezero

Banned
I have specific tastes. I like character driven stories.

This shows to me is going for mood, atmosphere, nostalgia, and action. I like all that but I those are the side dishes for me. There is just no main course here.

Almost everyone I encounter in real life and non-gaf internet loves it.

I think this has potential to set up that deeper character story you want.

As others have said Filoni and his previous work followed this model.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Predicated the plot 30 seconds after he met the young wannabe bounty hunter.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
This was a bit of a waste on an episode though. Love the fan service, love the scenery and still enjoyed the episode, but for an 8 part series it didn't really leave us any further along with the plot.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The most recent episode was ok. They kind of telegraphed the twist. Common trope and all.

It feels like they’re spinning wheels though. Where is this going? There’s no defined main antagonist, no clear destination. Fuck it though, I am enjoying it.

Fuz

Banned
It feels like they’re spinning wheels though. Where is this going? There’s no defined main antagonist, no clear destination. Fuck it though, I am enjoying it.
It's like a show from the '80s. I personally like this direction.

Top Bottom