• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mandalorian |OT| I Have Spoken

GreyHorace

Heroism. Bravery. Sacrifice. Comradery. That is what Star Wars can be at it's best, and this last episode had it in spades.

I loved it. A fantastic ending to the first season of this excellent show. So much stuff to geek out over. IG-11 still kicking ass despite his new nurse-droid function (plus his eventual sacrifice). Mando's (real name Din Djarin) face is revealed without compromising his vows. Baby Yoda once again showing his power. Mando finally gets a jetpack plus his mission for season 2 which is reuniting Baby Yoda with his people. And the armorer gives him his signet, the Clan of Two.

Who would have thought that a TV show would give us the best Star Wars content in years?

THIS IS THE WAY.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Heroism. Bravery. Sacrifice. Comradery. That is what Star Wars can be at it's best, and this last episode had it in spades.

I loved it. A fantastic ending to the first season of this excellent show. So much stuff to geek out over. IG-11 still kicking ass despite his new nurse-droid function (plus his eventual sacrifice). Mando's (real name Din Djarin) face is revealed without compromising his vows. Baby Yoda once again showing his power. Mando finally gets a jetpack plus his mission for season 2 which is reuniting Baby Yoda with his people. And the armorer gives him his signet, the Clan of Two.

Who would have thought that a TV show would give us the best Star Wars content in years?

THIS IS THE WAY.

This is the way.

GV82

Those Two Stormtroopers punching Baby Yoda in the face 🤣and showing they still can’t hit a target, IG11 Terminator 2 type death tribute and good old gus fring. nNothing too over the top just a nice ending.

A lot of times in this episode I was thinking well that’s bloody convenient for the plot, but at least they made sense and don’t really feel I need to now read a dozen books and spinoffs to get it no major plot holes that need to be filled in from a book or other media (from what I remember anyway), though I could explore more if I wanted to, it’s not mandatory to do so

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Those Two Stormtroopers punching Baby Yoda in the face 🤣and showing they still can’t hit a target, IG11 Terminator 2 type death tribute and good old gus fring. nNothing too over the top just a nice ending.

A lot of times in this episode I was thinking well that’s bloody convenient for the plot, but at least they made sense and don’t really feel I need to now read a dozen books and spinoffs to get it no major plot holes that need to be filled in from a book or other media (from what I remember anyway), though I could explore more if I wanted to, it’s not mandatory to do so

People say that comedy scene was MCU quip tier but the punching reminded me more of slapstick San Raimi lol

And now I realize how much I need bruce campbell in star wars.

GreyHorace

People say that comedy scene was MCU quip tier but the punching reminded me more of slapstick San Raimi lol

I thought that scene was hilarious with a black comedy vibe. And the hilarity doubled when they started shooting a target and kept missing, reinforcing the stereotype of Imperial troopers being shit shots. Considering who directed the episode (Taika Waititi), it doesn't surprise me why it had that kind of comedic tone.

It's funny to see the online reactions to the scene. Some people hope those two troopers burn in hell for punching Baby Yoda.

dan76

They really nailed it with this series. It was a good ending, and as previously said, it made sense in a way the RoS just doesn't.

I don't think it's one of the best episodes, it didn't have as much energy as some of the others but sone great action and a cool set up for season 2. Can't wait, I want more!

Last edited:

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Did not expect that Clone Wars call back but I did appreciate it.

This proves to me just how much more enjoyable a show is when its not dumped all at once. Allowing for proper germination of the plot while allowing your mind to wonder and wander about the next moment.

Full Marks for an excellent first season.

GV82

Fucking A+ Final. Jon Favreau is a legend. Should be in charge of all of Lucasfilm

Let’s see how Season 2 goes first

He started off the MCU with Iron Man one but don’t forget gave us Iron Man 2 (still better the TLJ though)

Now he Started off the Star Wars TVU let’s see how that’s goes with S2, but I have faith because of all the other directors onboard as well as Dave Filoni PLUS Favereau.

But Rian Johnson has stuck his nose in and said he would like to Direct an episode of season 2, let’s hope he doesn’t get to meddle in it, he can stick to his own things.

GreyHorace

Let’s see how Season 2 goes first

He started off the MCU with Iron Man one but don’t forget gave us Iron Man 2 (still better the TLJ though)

Now he Started off the Star Wars TVU let’s see how that’s goes with S2, but I have faith because of all the other directors onboard as well as Dave Filoni PLUS Favereau.

But Rian Johnson has stuck his nose in and said he would like to Direct an episode of season 2, let’s hope he doesn’t get to meddle in it, he can stick to his own things.
I think The Rise of Skywalker is proof that Disney isn't willing to piss off the fans any further. Word gets out that roundhead is confirmed to direct a season 2 episode there'll be a huge protest over it. The show has already won a lot of goodwill back from the fans that I don't think they want to risk another boycott.

desertdroog

They pulled it off. Some filler, some eye-rolling scenes across the whole season, but this episode rocked.

More like this episode and more Mandalorian lore exploration, please. MVP was the armorer.

Last edited:
This season was a perfect blend of Favreau cool and Filoni fun. LOVE the deep lore dives, and somehow the show manages to skirt the line perfectly where you don't NEED to know the whole backstory to a ton of things to enjoy it, but if you do, it gives you extra special joy.

As others have said, I think their treatment of the Force here has been perfect. It's mysterious (like in the OT) and powerful, but not over-powered. So good. So good.

The two storm troopers at the start is very Taika like comedy. Reminded me of banter from What We Do In The Shadows. Show has done a good job of making the Mandolorians interesting even to someone who hasn't gotten into the non-film parts of star wars. The Mando Armorer gets to be awesome as well.

Just a lot of nice Star Wars touches. The lava river with the rodents. Little snippets of alien worlds.

Though I got to say a r2 unit with legs creeps me out.

prag16

Banned
Excellent episode!
I was afraid that if they had Gideon fail, he would lose his credibility as a legitimate villain. But I think they actually managed to pull off his defeat without making him into a lame jobber. Seems to be a skilled combatant, has the Darksaber, and has history with Mando at least indirectly. They left his need for the Child a mystery for now, so I imagine we'll see progression there season 2. I imagine we'll be seeing the Armorer again too.
It's going to be hard to wait 9+ months for season 2.

McCheese

Decent final episode, but I can't shake the feeling that this is an 80's children's morning cartoon in live-action form.

Villains who are cool but never pose any real threat -check
A diverse main crew comprising of one of each personality types - check
A vague main plot goal that only exists to spur on episodic stories - check

I guess my main complaint is the inconsistency of the threat the enemy poses, having the two who killed someone on a speeder unable to even hit a can in the next scene, having 3 stormtrooper guards as "oh shit we better not blow our cover" material but then just slaughtering 40 of them without any problems on the way out. Most episodes just keep putting Mando in "Impossible to escape" scenarios then having him escape 5 minutes later, it's very much Teenage Mutant Hero turtles where the villain's goal seems to be to put them in the most danger possible but ensuring they escape for the next episode, rather than actually killing them.

Was hoping they would go darker and have the villain just slaughter people on screen like Vader at the end of rogue one.

Was hoping they would go darker and have the villain just slaughter people on screen like Vader at the end of rogue one.

I loved Rogue One, and normally would be with you in wanting this... but I don't know, I am thoroughly enjoying this take on the SW universe. We've only lost a couple of players so far, but they've made them count I feel, even with limited time.

I do hope they get to go to an hour next season to fit in a bit more stuff. Hopefully Gideon will get more to do as well.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
The finale was the best episode yet. The banter between the two storm troopers on the speeder bikes was fucking gold.
Only thing I thought was done poorly was the line about giving them till night fall to make their decision. That would never happen.

McCheese

Only thing I thought was done poorly was the line about giving them till night fall to make their decision. That would never happen.

Yup, but that whole stand-off made zero sense.
  • Someone runs off with Baby
  • Bad guys find out about it because they are yelling "get baby out of here" (stupid move #1)
  • They only send two guys after the baby despite that being their only reason for being there (stupid move #2)
  • Two troopers get the baby and say they are bringing it back, but are told to wait around because of the stand-off, why didn't they just pack up and leave? (stupid move #3)
  • They somehow find out baby has got away and the troopers are dead.
  • They don't bother sending anybody else to get the baby and instead just literally stand there for 4 hours while the three people who don't have the baby are given time to come up with a plan to escape. (stupid move #4),
they even have that line about "they need us as they don't have the baby yet" - no they don't, they literally have more up to date information on the baby's last location than Mando and team do at this point.
  • They slowly bring out some sort of superweapon which later turns out just to be just a chain gun, and tell them they have until it gets dark enough for them to escape to come out. (lost count of stupid moves at this point).
It's comedy villain stuff, but to be expected from someone who gets in a fight and uses a crappy pistol instead of a fucking legendary dark saber he has on him.

Last edited:

Fnord

This one didn't do it for me. The thing with mando radioing the guy and that tipping the storm-troopers off, I hate that kind of plotting. You think they'd be able to communicate securely, especially since afaik haven't shown people intercepting comms before. Anyway, didn't like the dialogue either, everything is too direct. The robot training montage was weird as hell and felt out of place.

I'm pretty sure that communications interception has been in place since the original trilogy.

Fnord

Yup, but that whole stand-off made zero sense.
  • Someone runs off with Baby
  • Bad guys find out about it because they are yelling "get baby out of here" (stupid move #1)
  • They only send two guys after the baby despite that being their only reason for being there (stupid move #2)
  • Two troopers get the baby and say they are bringing it back, but are told to wait around because of the stand-off, why didn't they just pack up and leave? (stupid move #3)
  • They somehow find out baby has got away and the troopers are dead.
  • They don't bother sending anybody else to get the baby and instead just literally stand there for 4 hours while the three people who don't have the baby are given time to come up with a plan to escape. (stupid move #4),
they even have that line about "they need us as they don't have the baby yet" - no they don't, they literally have more up to date information on the baby's last location than Mando and team do at this point.
  • They slowly bring out some sort of superweapon which later turns out just to be just a chain gun, and tell them they have until it gets dark enough for them to escape to come out. (lost count of stupid moves at this point).
It's comedy villain stuff, but to be expected from someone who gets in a fight and uses a crappy pistol instead of a fucking legendary dark saber he has on him.

Without getting into too much nerdy Star Wars lore, there very well may be non-obvious reasons that the Moff wanted the Mandalorian outside of the Child. Which may have become more obvious at the very end of the episode.

Fuz

Banned
This episode was better than most (best ones so far are 7 and 3), but let's do some nitpicking.

The initial joke it's cute, even if the aim joke is old and stale, but kind of stretched far too long.
There's no reason for the droid to go in the city, if its been reprogrammed and its primary function is to "protect" the kid. Nurse and protect, and it brings him in the most dangerous possile situation.
There's zero tension in the big battle (...or ever) because the imperial troops pose no threat at all. The stormtroopers gross incompetence always completely kills the tension. They just go one by one and wait their turn to be slaughtered, like enemies in an Assassin's Creed game.
Cara staying on a planet that attracted imperial attention?
And how is that possible that no one heard of the Force, just some years after the original trilogy?

This series is saved by the really cool characters and great overall design, because the writing is utter crap.
The DarkSaber returns!!!
I think it's a vibroblade. Same effect as Mando's dagger when fighting the mudhorn.
Everything is better with Bruce Campbell.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
...Rip my Disney + account... Until next season!

Yea there is fuck all until next Fall unless you are really into MCU.

Since they own Fox stuff here's to hoping they put some Alien and Predator on there but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe they will come up with a separate adult subscription. Disney Midnight lol

Coflash

Excellent show, loved every minute of it.

Going to the cinema to see each new episode or spin off has become a chore over the years, I won't even go and see the new one as I'm so tired of the mediocrity. But this show had me wanting more every week.

Starfield

Nice first season.

One thing I'm interested in though....that one certain pointy weapon in the end, is it the only one in existence? Looks fucking sick an di want one of those in jedi Fallen order

Malakhov

Banned
Nice first season.

One thing I'm interested in though....that one certain pointy weapon in the end, is it the only one in existence? Looks fucking sick an di want one of those in jedi Fallen order

Darksaber

Sabin had it in rebels and gave it to the leader of the Mandalorian whom Gideon destroyed so he now has it.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Nice liked the ending. Really well done.

I can't wait to see where they are going now.

Only thing i didn't like that they had to showcase you his head. I think it was cooler by now showcasing how he looked like for at least a few seasons. Makes him mysterious.

Also just realized its that head crushed guy from game of thrones. Dam good actor.

Last edited:
Another really good episode.

Carl Weathers: "Hey, lets make the baby do the magic hand thing. Come on baby, do the magic hand thing"

Baby: *waves*

giphy.gif

lol

sol_bad

God damn that was a great episode. Loved everything about it.
The action was really intense and I screamed at the TV a couple of times.
^___^

-Arcadia-

Banned
Starting to believe there’s a ‘Star Wars Bump’, looking at this thread. Bad is okay. Okay is good. Good is great. Great is amazing. People really want Star Wars to be good again, and Mando is coming close enough for them to be a little more forgiving than they should.

Not that I don’t like the positivity, but if this show still has some of the same problems in Season 2 because people are excited out of their mind for the first good Star Wars content in forever, and are overly cheerleading, that’s going to be a waste of some fantastic potential.

Anyway, that was a great finale. Still goofy internal logic across all characters and situations, still Mando looking a little unpolished in big battle scenes, instead of capable like he should.

Everything else was pretty much the most quintessentially Star Wars hour I’ve spent with this series in ages, magic and all. They really, truly have something here, and I’m already excited for Season 2.

This season, even with its ups and downs, is the first Disney Wars production I have no problem calling canon.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Each episode makes the Mandalorian a viable Star Wars production, Mando is a dominate bounty hunter and as much hate that he gets Mando looks like he's on the same level as Jango or Boba two previous anointed Mandalorain bounty hunters.

Din Djarin should be seen as not as good as Jango or Boba yet but if you continue to dominate the New Order, Siths etc. of the Star Wars world it's almost like Din Djarin is the Jango Fett of this new Star Wars world.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

source.gif

Starting to believe there’s a ‘Star Wars Bump’, looking at this thread. Bad is okay. Okay is good. Good is great. Great is amazing. People really want Star Wars to be good again, and Mando is coming close enough for them to be a little more forgiving than they should.

Not that I don’t like the positivity, but if this show still has some of the same problems in Season 2 because people are excited out of their mind for the first good Star Wars content in forever, and are overly cheerleading, that’s going to be a waste of some fantastic potential.

can you blame us? star wars fans have been wandering around a desert for years, and this is the first puddle of water that's been found. it feels like an ocean!

GV82

I know I was like that, it felt more like James Bond style villain, no “Mr Mandalorian I expect you to die” type thing, where bond was always in a situation where he could escape, which austin powers years later lapooned, or any cheesy TV 60’s/70’s bad guy, it’s almost like you could hear that old style Voice over, “ How will the Mandalorian escape?? Tune in next week to find out, same bat time , same bat channel”.

Then I remembered this whole show almost feels like it has the old 60’s -80’s style cheesy TV tropes in partswhich Favereau probably is influenced by growing up, mashed into Star Wars which we don’t often get today.

Last edited:
Top Bottom