• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mandalorian |OT| I Have Spoken

daveonezero

Banned
I agree feels like a throwback.
It also feels like a video game at times.
It’s story beats and then gameplay mixed in.

go from trapped to a lava river in just a few seconds.
Ended pretty good for a 1st season, pretty surprised how this was treated compared to the movies were.
Maybe because the creators actually know and care about the lore and universe.

the last two episodes were on point.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Yep. Filoni and Favreau give a shit. Rian Johnson does not. JJ, debatable.
I think JJ Abrams does give a shit about Star Wars. He's repeatedly stated how much he loves the franchise. He's just incompetent.

Jon Favreau on the other hand, is a much better director than him. They should let him direct him a movie whenever he's free from doing the show.

-Arcadia-

Banned
JJ definitely does. You don’t risk your career perception coming back to fix Roundhead’s mess, and actually kind of pull off the impossible by making a fun, positive ending to the trilogy, unless you really love something. I can’t imagine how difficult the last two years were for him.

Whether or not you think JJ managed to be talented enough to express that love in a quality product, though, is up to you.

GymWolf

Episodes 7 and 8 are so fucking good, it's almost funny how much better this serial is compared to the shitty new trioogy.

And baby yoda doing the hand sign in ep8 was the cutest thing ever :lollipop_blowing_kiss:
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Pejo

That jetpack scene at the end, while stupid, was really fun/cool.

Nothing against the actor, but I kinda wish they never would have taken off the helmet. I like the idea that the mandalorian is an "everyman" more than a specific character, but I guess the flashbacks already ruined that idea.

Anyways, I wasn't a big fan of the middle episodes, but damn if the season didn't start and end strong. I'm definitely in for season 2.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Excellent episode!
I was afraid that if they had Gideon fail, he would lose his credibility as a legitimate villain. But I think they actually managed to pull off his defeat without making him into a lame jobber. Seems to be a skilled combatant, has the Darksaber, and has history with Mando at least indirectly. They left his need for the Child a mystery for now, so I imagine we'll see progression there season 2. I imagine we'll be seeing the Armorer again too.
It's going to be hard to wait 9+ months for season 2.
His need for the child is directly linked to the big bad in ROS.

Kadayi

Banned
Gotta say the build-up with episode 7 was better than the pay off with episode 8. The pacing was really off in the finale, and I spent a lot of the episode wondering wtf the innumerable storm troopers were doing whilst our heroes dicked around in the shot up Cantina and then in the sewers for ages. Still enjoyable, but it felt undercooked especially coming from Taika Waititi.

Reactions: Fuz
Didn't really like the ending. A lot of stuff happened that just didn't make sense to me. Why did the guy blast his own Stormtroopers in the bar? I thought it was gonna be like a betrayal, where different factions within the remains of the Empire fight for power or something. I guess that could still be the case, but they should've shown that. Why did he keep Mando & co in the bar alive? The scouts on the speeder bikes had already captured baby Yoda, so what point is there in keeping them alive? Why did they make the scouts wait that long? Wasn't the entire purpose of this battle to capture him? You'd think they would prioritize that. It just makes everyone look incompetent. "LOL He just shot up a guy for doing whatever so it's gonna take a while!" come on... A few scenes later we see our main villain walking into a huge firefight casually, shooting accurately and defeating Mando. Am I supposed to believe he's incompetent or not?

I feel like it's well established that the Empire collects idiots, weak willed folks and all-around bastards into its ranks. Within that group, the most competent bastards rise up and the idiots take command of meaningless stuff. The Empire is largely the base emotions and powers of the dark side plus a gigantic mogofuggin bureaucracy. This force dominates the galaxy and that dominance gets them towards complacency and overwrought projects, and that results in massive tech like a death star, but cheap, mass produced armor, blasters and disposable fighters and grunts.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

On the subject of Space Baby, I read up a random factoid as to why Mandalorians have a flamethrower attached to their wrist launchers. It's actually a weapon against Jedi, since they can't deflect fire with their lightsabers and pushing it back with the Force is suicidal. Anakin was critically injured when he did this in Clone Wars and Kanan Jarrus died holding back an explosion in Rebels.

The fact that Baby Yoda was able to stop the Flame Trooper's fire from reaching him and then sending it back with just a flick of the wrist, shows how powerful the little one is.

eot

Banned
Got around to watching the final episode. I cooled on the show, it’s not bad but if they never made another season I wouldn’t care either. People touched on it earlier, but they needed to make Mando more competent. He barely talks, so his only form of expression is through his actions and he lacks character there too. In an eight episode season he’s been saved by baby Yoda twice, the girl once, the mandalorians once and the droid once. Maybe I’m forgetting something (you could count his armor too) but that’s already a lot. Times he was competent? The heist mission I guess.

Point is, he’s not an appealing lead character in my eyes, and the rest of the script plays it too safe to make up for it.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
He probably saved all of them on his own that many time as well.

he is a complete marksman and melee fighter.

he isn’t and was never made out to be a seasoned elite mandalorian Even.

I just watched it all the way through and even the weak points in the season weren’t bad.
It was fun. It expands the Star Wars cannon. It creates mystery and answers some questions.

if you aren’t into the deeper lore stuff I can see why it isn’t that great but it is a fun show that’s oozing with love from the creators and actors.

Grinchy

Banned
I finally started watching since the show is done. I've only watched the first episode. It was so much better than any of the new movies they've done. You can tell this was written and directed by people who give a shit and they didn't let the studio meddle with it too much.

lachesis

Just finished it with my daughter - we both loved it. I wonder how the Moff got that thing? Last time I saw, it was handed off to Bo-katan, Satin's sister in Rebels by Sabin.... Interesting. Of course, Bo-katan is unlikely alive at this time period - but I'm no expert in Mandalorian history during and post empire era.. so...

Very much looking for Season 2. And yes, that R4 unit with long arms and legs will give me nightmare tonight.... LOL. After all, I had very little hope for a TV series SW stories - but this season 1 has delivered far beyond what I was expecting. I am also very much looking for Obi-wan series now. I am not too familiar with Deborah Chow and her works - but ep7 that was done by her, was one of the best in the season - so I am pretty hopeful.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
Just finished it with my daughter - we both loved it. I wonder how the Moff got that thing? Last time I saw, it was handed off to Bo-katan, Satin's sister in Rebels by Sabin.... Interesting. Of course, Bo-katan is unlikely alive at this time period - but I'm no expert in Mandalorian history during and post empire era.. so...

After those events this show referred to the "great purge". its where the empire took Mandalore and confiscated all the bezoar. Moff was the ISB agent that went to Mandalore and must have taken it from Bo-katan or whoever had it during that time. Its so cool it showed up.

Mihos

Gold Member
The last episode was my least favorite.... Why is sewer system is larger than the town above it, and why does it vent into the house?

The lava stream thing seemed kind of silly also.

lachesis

After those events this show referred to the "great purge". its where the empire took Mandalore and confiscated all the bezoar. Moff was the ISB agent that went to Mandalore and must have taken it from Bo-katan or whoever had it during that time. Its so cool it showed up.

I see - I wonder if we'll see more about the purge in future seasons? Thanks for clarifying.

Lanrutcon

This show is so fucking good.

Unlike the new trilogy where nothing has fucking changed: I like the whole "post empire age" thing they're using as a time period.

The format of the show is perfect and reminds me of Firefly.

Goddamn Baby Yoda is the new Pikachu.

I like how the episode with a dude who hates Star Wars (Bill Burr) happens to be the best one.

Göransson's score gives me huge Mass Effect vibes. Now that the Skywalker Saga's over, he needs to score everything Star Wars until he dies.

The season was fantastic and by far my favorite SW property that has come out of Disney. If S2 and other SW Live action shows are like this then I'll be one happy customer. I hope the Marvel shows are at least as good as this was.

lachesis

Come to think of it, I think TV series actually is a good fit for Star Wars series if done right. Since original trilogy was done in movie format - I always thought SW should be movies... but I admit I enjoyed Clone Wars so much, that I actually end up enjoying prequel trilogy, as well as originals so much more.

Slower pace that allows to fill out much of legend and myths - a world with wonder that can be shown much in detail (albeit with lower budget) more properly than 2 hour movies... not to mention proper character building. Movie format is fine - but the recent trilogy has shown that what a mess it could be... that Rise of Skywalker had so much things so fast, I wish to see in 2 parts done proper.

Then again, waiting for a whole year for a season, is sometimes so painful for TV series... and many times, they just end up being quite a mess after a couple of seasons for its own limitation of low budget, rating issues and all. I hope Mandalorian and other SW TV series (Clone Wars Season 7!!) won't suffer the same fate.

desertdroog

I now want to see a Star Wars version of 300 with Mandalorians. Doesn't have to be a 1:1 rote copy, but I want to see a tribe overcome some crazy insurmountable odds. Make it an episode in Season 2 or something of a mythical tale being passed on to explain how awesome they are at the art of war.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/The_Armorer <-- She has to be involved somehow, please.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
Come to think of it, I think TV series actually is a good fit for Star Wars series if done right. Since original trilogy was done in movie format - I always thought SW should be movies... but I admit I enjoyed Clone Wars so much, that I actually end up enjoying prequel trilogy, as well as originals so much more.

Slower pace that allows to fill out much of legend and myths - a world with wonder that can be shown much in detail (albeit with lower budget) more properly than 2 hour movies... not to mention proper character building. Movie format is fine - but the recent trilogy has shown that what a mess it could be... that Rise of Skywalker had so much things so fast, I wish to see in 2 parts done proper.

Then again, waiting for a whole year for a season, is sometimes so painful for TV series... and many times, they just end up being quite a mess after a couple of seasons for its own limitation of low budget, rating issues and all. I hope Mandalorian and other SW TV series (Clone Wars Season 7!!) won't suffer the same fate.
I think Clone Wars and Rebels were both great additions to the canon.

resistance is ok but I haven’t seen any of season 2

Grinchy

Banned
Holy shit did episode 4 suck. Not only did they force us to watch some woman who can't act the whole time, but there was no logic to any of the shit going on. This really hurt my impression of this show.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Holy shit did episode 4 suck. No only did they force us to watch some woman who can't act the whole time, but there was no logic to any of the shit going on. This really hurt my impression of this show.

It definitely has its low points, but eps 7-8 end on a high note. It's worth sticking through the shoddy writing and acting at times.

sol_bad

Holy shit did episode 4 suck. Not only did they force us to watch some woman who can't act the whole time, but there was no logic to any of the shit going on. This really hurt my impression of this show.

IMO I think episode 5 is the worst in the end. Absolutely atrocious acting from the 2 side characters.

Grinchy

Banned
IMO I think episode 5 is the worst in the end. Absolutely atrocious acting from the 2 side characters.
Oh great lol. It already felt so bad in episode 4.

My bigger problem is that for no reason at all, they made Mando a complete moron just to fill the episode. He conveniently forgets the entire reason he's there and what is going on in his life and the dangers he's caused all because they wanted a scene where he contemplates what it would be like to settle down? Absolute stupidity. I noticed it was directed by Ron Howard's daughter during the end credits and wondered how much input she had on the nonsensical series of events.

daveonezero

Banned
Oh great lol. It already felt so bad in episode 4.

My bigger problem is that for no reason at all, they made Mando a complete moron just to fill the episode. He conveniently forgets the entire reason he's there and what is going on in his life and the dangers he's caused all because they wanted a scene where he contemplates what it would be like to settle down? Absolute stupidity. I noticed it was directed by Ron Howard's daughter during the end credits and wondered how much input she had on the nonsensical series of events.

Yeah I think it was the opposite.

he thought for some reason he could be out of the way and just forgotten.

that episode also did a bad job of passage of time. I think they tried to make it seem like it was a few weeks of being on the planet before he and Cara attacked the raiders and then another few weeks after when the hunter came.

Decent final episode, but I can't shake the feeling that this is an 80's children's morning cartoon in live-action form.

Villains who are cool but never pose any real threat -check
A diverse main crew comprising of one of each personality types - check
A vague main plot goal that only exists to spur on episodic stories - check

I guess my main complaint is the inconsistency of the threat the enemy poses, having the two who killed someone on a speeder unable to even hit a can in the next scene, having 3 stormtrooper guards as "oh shit we better not blow our cover" material but then just slaughtering 40 of them without any problems on the way out. Most episodes just keep putting Mando in "Impossible to escape" scenarios then having him escape 5 minutes later, it's very much Teenage Mutant Hero turtles where the villain's goal seems to be to put them in the most danger possible but ensuring they escape for the next episode, rather than actually killing them.

Was hoping they would go darker and have the villain just slaughter people on screen like Vader at the end of rogue one.
But Star Wars (and Indiana Jones as well) IS saturday morning cartoon with a bit more serious tone at times.

It's not supposed to be Schindlers List.

Just watch other movies of you want that.

I am glad that they went back and analyzed what made Star Wars great and what people loved about it.

And the result is the Mandalorian..

Grinchy

Banned
I didn't totally hate episode 5, but yeah that guy who wants into the guild is a horrible, horrible actor. I waited for the credits to see his name, thinking he was some Jonas brother or something, and it was Jake Cannavale. So he's Bobby Cannavale's son. The apple fell really fucking far away from that tree.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah I think it was the opposite.

he thought for some reason he could be out of the way and just forgotten.

that episode also did a bad job of passage of time. I think they tried to make it seem like it was a few weeks of being on the planet before he and Cara attacked the raiders and then another few weeks after when the hunter came.
Yeah they do mention at the end that it had been 3 weeks. The training part, I'm not so sure about. The LOTR orcs come in and steal all the blue fish and are brewing something with them, so I guess it's possible that that was a few weeks? It also could have been the next day...

It was just a very poorly done episode. I like how Mando is constantly making shitty moves and has to get rescued out of them, but to just assume that no one would ever come for the kid again would make him an actual moron and felt like terrible writing to me.

Grinchy

Banned
I finished it tonight. I think Jake Cannavale set the bar so low that I no longer minded Gina Carano :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Aside from all of the characters becoming complete morons whenever the show needs to stretch an episode out, I enjoyed the season.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Me when this was announced: LMAO SOY DRINKERS GIVING DISNEY THEIR MONEY. I FUCKING HATE PEOPLE WHO WORSHIP BOBBA FETT WHOSE WHOLE CHARACTER IS JUST A HELMET AND HE'S A JOBBER.

Me when finishing it: Baby Yeed is literally fucking perfect. I love him so much.

It really was garbage. For S2 they need less MCU level dialogue and jokes and more serious moments. That's my only complaint.

This show does have balls to kill a well written character and kill off a character who got good development too. I'm mad but to me it's a sign of good quality.

Until S2 boys and please.... Don't make Baby Yeed Yoda's nephew or something.

Lanrutcon

Yeah, episode 5 was stupid.

But I'll defend episode 4 until the end, you sons of bitches. Firefly-esque episode with an Army of Darkness reference? Done.

lifa-cobex

I'm gonna throw in my two cents on the baby Yoda theory's.

In the OG trilogy, the force is regarded as an old forgotten religion. The only two people the Empire know about (possibly) using it is Vader and Palp.
So some high up Empire scientist can't exactly go up to either of them and ask "hey guys uhhh, How are you doing your magic tricks?"

So what if at some random point the Yoda planet was destroyed by the Death star and the baby is something to being part of the last of it's kind.
Think that would play into the Mandalorians being the last of their kind. Kinda builds on the kinship between the two.

Top Bottom