• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mario movie set to cruise past a billion at the box office and become the bigget video game movie by a huge margin

jason10mm

Gold Member
Mario works as a children movie and I hope the future sequels make even more money, but honestly this doesn’t say a Zelda movie will work.
I think the DnD movie could serve as a tone template for Zelda. Not full on Marvel snark, but a fairly light tone, lots of visual gags, and a brisk plot.

The real question is whether to have Link talk or not.

ADiTAR

Banned
"This comes courtesy of MST Financial senior analyst David Gibson, who estimates that the movie will make $1.2 billion total at the box office, followed by an additional $2.3 billion from its digital release. Altogether, that’s $3.5 billion (about £2.8 billion).

Obviously, all that money won’t go to Nintendo – Illumination and Universal will be taking a cut – but Gibson tells Axios that Nintendo will come out of the venture with around $1.1 billion (about £886 million)."

[/URL]
Ok, I said from the 700m. I didn't count digital release, and I also don't know the estimated cut between Universal/Illumination/Nintendo.

L*][*N*K

Banned
I think the DnD movie could serve as a tone template for Zelda. Not full on Marvel snark, but a fairly light tone, lots of visual gags, and a brisk plot.

That would be terrible, I am sorry to say this but lets be honest Zelda wouldn’t work for a movie and I will be proven right in the next 3-5 years

Ogbert

My kids enjoyed it.

It’s barely a movie. Just a series of adverts for the various Mario games.

Was fun.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

Banned

I think Zelda should be more like LotR, high fantasy with some really minor humor from side characters.

GMCamaro

That would be terrible, I am sorry to say this but lets be honest Zelda wouldn’t work for a movie and I will be proven right in the next 3-5 years
Frustrated Legend Of Zelda GIF

Marvel14

Banned
"This comes courtesy of MST Financial senior analyst David Gibson, who estimates that the movie will make $1.2 billion total at the box office, followed by an additional $2.3 billion from its digital release. Altogether, that’s $3.5 billion (about £2.8 billion).

Obviously, all that money won’t go to Nintendo – Illumination and Universal will be taking a cut – but Gibson tells Axios that Nintendo will come out of the venture with around $1.1 billion (about £886 million)."

[/URL]
Revenue...wonder how much of that will be pure profit. Suggests they are making the lions share and Illumination are junior partners 80/20? 90/10?

Bragr

Banned
Not to keep spamming this thread, but the third-weekend numbers are in, and it's another big one.

It's currently sitting at 870 million gross worldwide.

It did 58 million in the US in its third weekend, which is the biggest any animation movie has ever done in its third weekend. For contrast, it's bigger than No Way Home's third weekend.

It's estimated to land at around 1.2 billion worldwide when it's all said and done.

Took this from reddit, it's virtually guaranteed to become the second highest-grossing animated movie in the US. Incredibles 2 is out of reach though.

b4xq1xouepva1.jpg

L*][*N*K

Banned
Wouldn’t a Zelda movie just basically be Princess Mononoke though?
Don’t we HAVE princess mononoke already though? And you know a mid-2020s Hollywood production of a Zelda movie is not going to be a subtle arthouse movie like PM was.

It was the very definition of a movie that has a nice and colourful exterior, but a hollow and soulless interior. The plot was cliche, the action sequences were predictable, the voice acting was like every single American animated movie and the whole thing reeked of wasted potential.The soundtrack did incorporate music from the games which was welcoming and King Koopa's "Peaches" song is basic, but incredibly catchy.

And I can speak for everybody when Thunderstruck hit and that red Mario kart lined up onto the track, we were all hype as a motherf***er. I'm going to say this and many will be shocked, but I actually preferred the 1993 movie instead. Animation is easy to do, but doing a live-action movie based on a video game was risky and I respect that more than this thing.

SMB_Movie_Poster.jpg

BlackTron

My idea is for other characters to talk but not Link, and to accomplish this without being too awkward by having parallel stories/scenes. Link is usually alone grinding away at his combat and exploration while other characters talk amongst each other, sometimes while watching him (common anime trope crystal ball type stuff).

I think he would still need to speak at least minimally on occasion, unless they come up with some explanation for why he doesn't talk...which would probably be lame as hell.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
My idea is for other characters to talk but not Link, and to accomplish this without being too awkward by having parallel stories/scenes. Link is usually alone grinding away at his combat and exploration while other characters talk amongst each other, sometimes while watching him (common anime trope crystal ball type stuff).

I think he would still need to speak at least minimally on occasion, unless they come up with some explanation for why he doesn't talk...which would probably be lame as hell.
The Hero of Hyrule, born a mute.

jason10mm

Gold Member

If you played him as a Clint Eastwood type western character he could just squint, grunt, and nod his way through, I just don't think that tone would work.

Why doesn't link talk? Is there an in universe reason or just a character quirk Nintendo has clung to? I've played a fair number of the games but can't remember.

Top Bottom