• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Marshall Mathers LP is Now 20 Years Old

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I would come home after school in middle school and played it on my Xbox until I fell asleep to nap. I think the only song I remember on it was Stan Lol @ youngins adopting the word in their vocabulary.

One of the greatest hip hop albums ever. The contrast between this and the last several Eminem albums is pretty interesting.

Bitch Please 2, Kill You and I'm Back are probably my favorite tracks. I really miss this era of hip hop, it was pretty much the end of variety in mainstream hip hop. Shortly afterwards 90% of mainstream popular hip hop was strictly club hits

teezzy

Banned
Growing up near Detroit, Eminem was fucking everything. We had Kid Rock and the Insane Clown Posse on top of it, but nobody really stole the show like Em did. 90s and early 2000s put Detroit on the map as far as rapping white dudes were concerned.

These days we got like Danny Brown and Big Sean, but their stardom pales to the former.

Great album for the time. I feel like Eminem's music has aged terribly. Outside of 'Im back' I can't listen to anything else on this album. It just can't compare to other classic albums in rap.

There are a handful of tracks from 'The Slim Shady LP' that have aged decently. Other then that his catalogue is kinda trash tier. Especially, all of his output post 'Eminem Show.' There was a time I'd say he was top 5. I wouldn't put him in a top 10 spot now.

Despera

Banned
Remember those rainy drive backs after a long day at the basketball court.

In our car with rickety tires. Good album and great memories.

Great album for the time. I feel like Eminem's music has aged terribly. Outside of 'Im back' I can't listen to anything else on this album. It just can't compare to other classic albums in rap.

There are a handful of tracks from 'The Slim Shady LP' that have aged decently. Other then that his catalogue is kinda trash tier. Especially, all of his output post 'Eminem Show.' There was a time I'd say he was top 5. I wouldn't put him in a top 10 spot now.
This is true. MMLP stood the test of time for while but the past few years rap has moved on way beyond what em was doing back then. But I think the same for most rap albums.

And "I'm back" is one of the worst aging tracks bro what are you talking about? lol

Remember those rainy drive backs after a long day at the basketball court.

In our car with rickety tires. Good album and great memories.

This is true. MMLP stood the test of time for while but the past few years rap has moved on way beyond what em was doing back then. But I think the same for most rap albums.

And "I'm back" is one of the worst aging tracks bro what are you talking about? lol

I appreciate the rhyme scheme. It takes a lot of skill to deliver those verses.

If Eminem were a new artist today he would never make it. He got a bunch of shit for saying "fag" on his newest album, despite the fact he's been saying it forever. Yeah, Eminem was criticized but mainly by suburban moms and evangelicals, not young people. Wish we could grow a spine as a society again.

If Eminem were a new artist today he would never make it. He got a bunch of shit for saying "fag" on his newest album, despite the fact he's been saying it forever. Yeah, Eminem was criticized but mainly by suburban moms and evangelicals, not young people. Wish we could grow a spine as a society again.

A lot of new york rappers still saying "fag."

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Kenneth Kaniff from Connecticut was funny years ago. You don’t see that type of humor anymore because it’s deemed hate speech. Rape was also being used as a joke word and it’s crazy to think back on it now.

Top Bottom