• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect: Andromeda Multiplayer Thread

Is Lance that much stronger than Throw?

With the internal timer for explosions (1 biotic explosion per 4 sec on a target) I feel like Throw is fast enough without the danger of a shield powered lance.

Any particular reason I should be using Lance?

The internal timer on detonations is irrelevant since you will be one shotting red bars (at character level XX anyways). Specced correctly in annihilation field and barrier you'll be getting about 40% of the 45% shields you spent on the lance when you get a kill inside your field. If you kill more than one (or more than one dies in your annihilation radius) you'll be up at max shields immediately. This allows you to dive in and destroy groups of enemies by spamming lance, not waiting for cooldowns. Throw is only used as a panic/last resort when your shields are down, and since you aren't worried about cooldowns, you can spec annihilation field for radius which will let you get those critical explosions from farther away.

MikeyMike

The internal timer on detonations is irrelevant since you will be one shotting red bars (at character level XX anyways). Specced correctly in annihilation field and barrier you'll be getting about 40% of the 45% shields you spent on the lance when you get a kill inside your field. If you kill more than one (or more than one dies in your annihilation radius) you'll be up at max shields immediately. This allows you to dive in and destroy groups of enemies by spamming lance, not waiting for cooldowns. Throw is only used as a panic/last resort when your shields are down, and since you aren't worried about cooldowns, you can spec annihilation field for radius which will let you get those critical explosions from farther away.

KK will give it another try.

Thanks for the tips.

I've been enjoying multi-player on PC, except the audio bug that is guaranteed to appear at least once an hour or so that completely silences the game. Having to re-start the game to fix it is bloody annoying. Apparently the devs asked DICE for help because they're stumped (unsurprisingly).

pmj

I've been enjoying multi-player on PC, except the audio bug that is guaranteed to appear at least once an hour or so that completely silences the game. Having to re-start the game to fix it is bloody annoying. Apparently the devs asked DICE for help because they're stumped (unsurprisingly).

I don't play on PC so I can't test this, but people on reddit claim to have had fixed it by turning off all audio devices in Windows except the one they're using.

pmj

I'm hoping it's the Artificer. It was teased a bit by a dataminer on reddit and it has a defense drone! It wasn't in last week's update, so maybe this week?

I've had a lot of fun with the Havoc Trooper the past few days.I thought it sounded dumb and not fun to play a character built around hovering so I never leveled her before now, but boy was I wrong. While it's wonky and sometimes buggy, it's a great feeling to throw caution to the wind and go toe-to-toe with damn near anything, and pulling it off.

Mindlog

Large patch today, but I'm not sure what it fixed.
One thing it may have done was fix the veterancy drops. Characters don't start dropping ranks XI-XX until all characters of the same rarity are level X.

notes
Veteran ranks of characters will only drop after all characters of that rarity have been unlocked to rank 10.

Naladen explosion now deals damage when Cryo or Incendiary Ammo are equipped.

Fixed issue where Dwindling Supplies and Empty Resupply mission modifiers would not function correctly if a player left the game.

Dhan shotgun now properly primes enemies.

Fixed issue where Bulwark, Siphon, and Concussive variants of pistols and sniper rifles would prime enemies too slowly when using special ammo.

Fixed issue where using Supply Pack Transmitter would reduce spare ammo if Empty Resupply mission modifier was active.

Using First Aid with Supply Pack Transmitter no longer heals enemies.

Fixed issue that caused screen to blink red/yellow when using Siphon and Bulwark weapons.

Rank XIV Common Characters are no longer displayed as Rank XV
Nice.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
One thing it may have done was fix the veterancy drops. Characters don't start dropping ranks XI-XX until all characters of the same rarity are level X.
Whew. That'll be nice for the ultra rares. I keep pulling the Krogan Gladiator despite having zero interest in him, up to VII, and then two that I'd rather be playing have been stuck at III.

pmj

Three more Gladiator cards for you then until they stop dropping!

I have Gladiator and Avenger both at VI, but still no Duelist at all.

Mindlog

Up to 20 drops but no Gladiator, Examplar or Batguard. Wish we could trade a card or two.

/waves to DeafMedal

This game has really grown on me. I'm at the portion where I'm trying out different builds while going through weapon challenges and I will be playing it for a long time.

still loving the multiplayer (with some remarks to it, yes).

I do have all Bronze and Silver characters on XX. Bronze and Silver weapons and accessories to level X. Building up the Gold and Ultrarare at the moment.

It's Thursday, so what is the new gear in the multiplayer store?

Ugh, played a few matches last night for the first time in a while, had a DirectX crash that took out my audio, and consistently had the same network issues I had that started after one of the earlier patches (IIRC, somewhere in the 1.04-1.06 range). Lots of teleporting/jumps not registering that made it hard to get around.

pmj

still loving the multiplayer (with some remarks to it, yes).

I do have all Bronze and Silver characters on XX. Bronze and Silver weapons and accessories to level X. Building up the Gold and Ultrarare at the moment.

It's Thursday, so what is the new gear in the multiplayer store?

Omni-Capacitors: +20% tech damage, +15% power recharge
Hydraulic Joints: +25% melee

After finishing my quest to get the Cyclone siphon that had been eluding me I've only been playing enough to complete the daily challenges and buy a reserve pack.

As maddening it was to spend nearly a week buying advanced packs for that one gun that for the longest time refused to drop (and then ending up still preferring the Revenant), it at least got me to play a lot. I'm not sure I could do the same for BatVan and shorty given the low odds and how expensive the packs are.

Omni-Capacitors: +20% tech damage, +15% power recharge
Hydraulic Joints: +25% melee

After finishing my quest to get the Cyclone siphon that had been eluding me I've only been playing enough to complete the daily challenges and buy a reserve pack.

As maddening it was to spend nearly a week buying advanced packs for that one gun that for the longest time refused to drop (and then ending up still preferring the Revenant), it at least got me to play a lot. I'm not sure I could do the same for BatVan and shorty given the low odds and how expensive the packs are.

The Omni-Capacitors is a god-send for classes like engineers. Thanks for the info.

I liked the cyclone better than the ravenant It was slightly more precise and with a Solder it was devastating on Gold. I'm now working on other weapons challenges , but the cyclone X was a beast as AF

I only play Gold nowadays, so I could get a reserve pack every 2 matches (but I choose 6 x 20.000 to get every uncommon on max level first)

pmj

I figured the same, that the accuracy and rate of fire of the cyclone healing you faster would make it beat out the revenant, but it didn't work out that in practice with my beloved havoc assault helicopter. At least not for me. Slow and steady (well, relatively) with a large magazine wins the day when you hover right in the face of a destroyer, ignoring it firing on you as you work on taking it apart.

Then again maybe it's not the best strategy to always seek out the biggest target, run out in the open, jump and hold, and pray that you can heal yourself faster than the enemies can hurt you. I die in embarrassing ways at times. So much fun though.

Mindlog

Random update:
There's a new Apex mission that spawns so many Atlas that it crashes your hardware.
Lots of people upset. I think it's pretty funny. Hope I get to see it before the nerf it.

pmj

I didn't have time play while Hydra hack was a thing and I'm sad I missed out.

In other news, the Juggernaut is kinda insane in how tanky he is. In Gold games I just run toward the enemies and shoot. Fuck being careful, fuck cover, just run and gun. And I'm not even done leveling him! Although I was just downed by a Destroyer when I thought it was a good idea jump out right in front of it and tank its guns and tummy cannon, so not completely invincible.

Kind of boring though? I get that he'd be absurdly OP if he got some better offensive powers to play with, but he just feels a bit dull with Shockwave.

I don't like the Shorty either. Maybe because I have trouble reliably getting all three shots to land.

illamap

Probably been asked countless times already but how is the multiplayer in this game compared to me3. I did enjoy me3 multi a lot, but i am in no means hardcore enthusiast of it so small changes don't affect me. So how is it?

Maledict

Probably been asked countless times already but how is the multiplayer in this game compared to me3. I did enjoy me3 multi a lot, but i am in no means hardcore enthusiast of it so small changes don't affect me. So how is it?

It's okay. It's not as good as Me3 for a bunch of reasons though:

1) enemy selection is far worse. None of the enemy forces match the original 3, and the mercenaries enemy in particular are just bad and dull.

2) map design isn't as good, and the z axis verticality can result in really unfun spawn positions

3) the grind for rewards has been made much, much bigger, so repeating that process again has put a lot of people off.

4) none of the really cool classes from later me3 expansions are in the game, and at this stage it's unlikely we'll get them.

Brakara

^

Point 3 killed it for me. It takes way too long now to get a character to 20, which means I can't experiment as much with different characters as I did in ME3. A shame because I like the actual combat and movability a lot more in Andromeda.

pmj

The game is definitely worth playing. It could be better, but there's plenty here to like.

I never got the complaint about leveling taking too much time. Start with Silver, jump over to Gold as soon as you feel comfortable, and use the boosters the game gives you. You'll get it done in an afternoon. The grind for gear is extreme, though.

Mindlog

Probably my last post here, but I checked in on the artificer and that's cool.

But

I have no idea why they haven't made the rewards far more generous yet. The inventory is quite extensive and will almost certainly outlast the player base. Even with the occasional free Ultra-Rare most players will never run out of new loot in their packs. Throw the diehards still playing a bone.

How busy is multiplayer these days? I played some 15 hours of it when the game was release but it didn't hold my interest. I thought it didn't have the same appeal and ME3MP.

Which is kind of weird because combat is by far my favorite aspect of Andromeda. But MP just felt... souless.

pmj

I don't like the Artificer as much as I thought I would. It's hard to go back to cryo beam after getting used to snap freeze.

Only two characters left. If I've stuck with the game this long, I can give it another month.

How busy is multiplayer these days? I played some 15 hours of it when the game was release but it didn't hold my interest. I thought it didn't have the same appeal and ME3MP.

Which is kind of weird because combat is by far my favorite aspect of Andromeda. But MP just felt... souless.

Not busy. It's frequently a struggle to get into a full game, especially on less ideal hours of the day. It's been like this for weeks now. That's in Europe though, it might be different in NA.

As for the state of the game compared to at launch, it's far better. Guns and powers have seen large buffs, and the game doesn't crash four times a day anymore. I haven't played enough of ME3 to compare the two myself, but seems to be a common sentiment that ME3 was the better game, that Andromeda is just missing something.

Probably my last post here, but I checked in on the artificer and that's cool.

But

I have no idea why they haven't made the rewards far more generous yet. The inventory is quite extensive and will almost certainly outlast the player base. Even with the occasional free Ultra-Rare most players will never run out of new loot in their packs. Throw the diehards still playing a bone.

It feels like something I've said before, but if I have, I'll say it again: the Apex packs with a guaranteed UR should be a weekly reward. They should have done that, and more.

Mindlog

It feels like something I've said before, but if I have, I'll say it again: the Apex packs with a guaranteed UR should be a weekly reward. They should have done that, and more.
💯👍🏽✅🤝

A very obvious and easy way to keep players engaged. Could not agree more.

As for the state of the game compared to at launch, it's far better. Guns and powers have seen large buffs, and the game doesn't crash four times a day anymore. I haven't played enough of ME3 to compare the two myself, but seems to be a common sentiment that ME3 was the better game, that Andromeda is just missing something.

That's interesting. Guns in Andromeda did feel to underpowered. Do you know if those changes extend to the SP as well?

The games is 10 bucks and I liked the MP in ME3. Would buy just for that. People still playing in the PS4?

I can get games over here in Australia on the XB1, during peak times (mostly dead otherwise though, TBH). If your'e in the US or Europe, it'd probably be easy for you to find them on PS4.

Top Bottom