• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caboose

The thing I'd love to hear from people is what you'd like to have in such an experience. For me (personal opinion, and based on what people have told me many times before):

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- High res textures, especially on ME1
- Some shader improvements commensurate with newer GPUs
- All the DLC
- "Seamless experience" - the adventures flow into each other without having to go back to save import, menu screens, etc.

Agree / disagree? What else?

Bear in mind this is a "wish list" at this point...

I'd like all of that (wishful thinking perhaps) and for the DLC to be kinda organically implemented into the games. What I mean is stuff like Leviathan becoming available to play once you pass a certain story point in ME3 and not having it become available as soon as you leave the Citadel for the first time. That's just a little hypothetical example to show what I mean.

Cool that you're on Gaf now.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The thing I'd love to hear from people is what you'd like to have in such an experience. For me (personal opinion, and based on what people have told me many times before):

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC
- "Seamless experience" - the adventures flow into each other without having to go back to save import, menu screens, etc.

I don't think anybody in their right mind would complain if this is all we got. I know I would be perfectly happy.

But just for fun:
A new ending. That gives me my little blue asari.
Updated combat mechanics and inventory for ME1.
Get rid of the damn QTE to hack inventory. I hate that so much!
Enable the Citadel DLC to be the real true ending even if it will not be recognized as canon.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
since everyone is in la-la land in terms of a theoretical remaster, let's also have Bioware fix the entire mess of a plot and premise that is ME3.

Rewrite the entire thing, cut away the dumb ending and the dumb kid and the dumb Earth and the dumb unite the warring races and the dumb reapers are here! and the dumb pick up 3 space wolf pelts during the apocalypse and the dumb citadel is the magical solution out of nowhere and the...

In other words, you want them to make a completely different game. Like that will ever happen.

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC

Film grain in ME3!

I'll triple dip for this. I've been wanting to do a second full series playthrough and a 1080p 60fps version would make me push the button.

since everyone is in la-la land in terms of a theoretical remaster, let's also have Bioware fix the entire mess of a plot and premise that is ME3.

Rewrite the entire thing, cut away the dumb ending and the dumb kid and the dumb Earth and the dumb unite the warring races and the dumb reapers are here! and the dumb pick up 3 space wolf pelts during the apocalypse and the dumb citadel is the magical solution out of nowhere and the...

Don't do drugs, kids.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Ya know, Aaron could be teasing us and plans to reveal all tomorrow.

Not bloody likely, but damn it would be awesome.

Lime

Like that will ever happen.

Lime said:
since everyone is in la-la land in terms of a theoretical remaster

In other words, you want them to make a completely different game.

Also mechanics aren't necessarily dependent on the narrative. It can still be the same game with the same mechanics and rules, it just won't have some of the mind-numbingly dumb plot stuff in it.

Anyway, I'm only jamming with ideas on how it could be improved since we're talking about a theoretical remaster here that won't ever happen.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC

reaper.jpg

The trilogy's over with, there's no point in that. The team's moved on. A simple remaster doesn't need to do all that, and I think anyone who wants it in a reasonable timeframe shouldn't expect that at all.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The trilogy's over with, there's no point in that. The team's moved on. A simple remaster doesn't need to do all that, and I think anyone who wants it in a reasonable timeframe shouldn't expect that at all.

Yeah, which is why nobody should expect there to be much (if any) change to the ME1 mechanics.

I certainly wouldn't complain if there was.

Ralemont

not me
The loading times is a pretty big one. Especially noticeable on PS3 Mass Effect 2 where you go talk to 12 squad members spread across 3 floors after every mission. Urgh!

Yes, even asking for ME1 mechanics to be reworked is too much imo. I'd certainly love that but I'm being realistic.
Agreed. For this to happen, it needs to be cheap, and require minimal labor. Hell, if they have to drop the seamless experience idea to make it happen, I'd be OK with it. Because I know any budget they get for this is going to be tighter than skinny jeans.

Aaryn

BioWare GM
Yes, even asking for ME1 mechanics to be reworked is too much imo. I'd certainly love that but I'm being realistic.

The "ME3 combat mechanics in ME1" comes up relatively often, but it's not on my radar (again, speaking personally). First it would be a helluva lot of work. Second, I hate the idea of us being accused of "retconning" ME1. Third (and I bet everyone on NeoGAF knows this), there are those who prefer ME1...

So given that all that, it doesn't feel like the right thing to do.

Astrates

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC

The seamless adventure would be very interesting. You'd have to integrate some cut scenes to tie it together I feel as the time between games was almost like the time elapsed in game, all in all that's a great list though, DLC is a definite must!

I know it'd be a great addition for most of us here if the character creator was tweaked to ensure more customisation as the DA:I has given us a taste of the good life.

I'd love to see MP make a return as it was a lot of fun.

I feel like we also need Mordin doing a full analysis of Quarian sweat, we need answers damn it!

Staf

The "ME3 combat mechanics in ME1" comes up relatively often, but it's not on my radar (again, speaking personally). First it would be a helluva lot of work. Second, I hate the idea of us being accused of "retconning" ME1. Third (and I bet everyone on NeoGAF knows this), there are those who prefer ME1...

I happen to be one of those so i really appreciate hearing this.

Completely understandable :)

I'd imagine implementing that would require complete overhauls of things like combat encounters, enemy AI, environmental obstacles, etc. Just not realistically feasible. In terms of combat I feel like ME3 was the culmination of refinement. ME1 is still the hallmark in the series in terms of everything else. I'm speaking personally of course.

I think most here are rational when it comes to theoretical expectations.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Completely understandable :)

I'd imagine implementing that would require complete overhauls of things like combat encounters, enemy AI, environmental obstacles, etc. Just not realistically feasible. In terms of combat I feel like ME3 was the culmination of refinement. ME1 is still the hallmark in the series in terms of everything else. I'm speaking personally of course.

I think most here are rational when it comes to theoretical expectations.

Would completely reworking the entire third act of ME3 be considered rational?!

AlStrong

Thanks for that. Makes sense.

Would completely reworking the entire third act of ME3 be considered rational?!
Well...I'm not going to tell you you're being irrational.

But you are!
;)

It is what it is. Citadel more than made up for it in my eyes, but I was only mildly disappointed in the end to begin with. There won't be enough money or time to change it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You get tossed in with the other loonies :p

One change that would require SOME, but probably not ridiculous amount of work would be to make it such that the Citadel can be played after Starchild, of course it would assume that Shepard survived. Same for Anderson. Have it as the true ending!

Again, not going to happen since I can always go back play Citadel before the attack on Cerebus headquarters.

Aaryn

BioWare GM
I'd like all of that (wishful thinking perhaps) and for the DLC to be kinda organically implemented into the games. What I mean is stuff like Leviathan becoming available to play once you pass a certain story point in ME3 and not having it become available as soon as you leave the Citadel for the first time. That's just a little hypothetical example to show what I mean.

Cool that you're on Gaf now.

Thanks. And yes, the "organic implmentation" is definitely what I have in mind. It should just all be there, as if it never wasn't there (if that makes sense).

AlStrong

Oh btw, the self-shadows could probably use some work, especially ME1 conversations.

Some sort of edge filtering for ME1/2 (instead of the 'broken' 2xMSAA).

Ralemont

not me
Thanks. And yes, the "organic implmentation" is definitely what I have in mind. It should just all be there, as if it never wasn't there (if that makes sense).

This is especially the case with ME3's DLC, which was I feel the best all-around SP DLC in the series. Playing through ME3 with Javik, Leviathan, the Extended Cut, Omega, and Citadel is such an enhancement that I can't overstate it. My first playthrough had Javik and I can't imagine ME3 without him, so I definitely get the "organic implementation" part.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
You think improving hair and cloth/armor textures is a possibility? Especially cloth/armor. Some npcs(I'm looking at you Dr. Chakwas in ME1 or random Krogan next to Tuchanka's anti-monkey turret gun in ME2) have terribly low res textures in their cloth/armor.

Edit : nvm, i see that it's on Aaryn's list.

The only thing I would ask then is for the team to take a good look at the AI in ME1, specifically your squadmates. I couldn't order them around for the life of me as 9/10 spots I ordered them to they either couldn't navigate to or would not stay there once I moved Shepperd ten feet way. I'm not asking for an ME2 or ME3 AI overwrite but giving the navigation meshes in the level design a once over would be greatly appreciated.

Pretty please?

I mostly just want graphics and loading improvements. I wouldn't mind if mini game activities ( lock cracking, mining) were tweaked to be less repetitive. I like organic/seemless idea. Also multiplayer manifest carryover.

Mass Effect "next" beta access.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
How about we go the opposite way then. Remove the global ability cooldown from ME2 and ME3, like how ME1 combat had it.

That should be simple.

I wonder how feasible it would to be rework the disjointed ME3 'Overheard conversation' quests and flesh them out into having actual dialogue when you get them and hand them in. That is one 'gameplay addition' I can think of that would make a big improvement to the overall quality of the game.

Honesty i just want them to refresh and take another crack at an epic trilogy. I would hope we can get a fusion of all three style of mass effect games. Take the best out of every version. Awesome rpg elements and dialog options from characters from the first. Take the cool characters and choice outcomes from mass effect 2. Take the beloved multiplayer and tighter shooter controls from mass effect 3.

Than just make everything bigger and better. I would want a smaller impacting story, we don't need to save the world/galaxy. Just have something with a interesting story that will have more choices impact the outcome. You sort of write yourself into a wall when the conflict effects the whole galaxy.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
While not something that is part of the game.

What would be cool is if someone hired someone to make a documentary talking about the development of the series. Get interviews with Drew K, Mac, Casey, Patrick Weekes and such describing the development and we would like some brutally honest comments regarding what happened in ME3s development and fan reaction to the ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom