The mass shooting in Virginia is getting surprisingly little attention

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
When the black trans woman shot up her ex colleagues at her old job? When the trans and autistic kids shot up the school prompting even the students having a mass walkout chanting "mental health now" or something to that effect when they tried to preach to them about gun control with political pandering?

The elephant in the room is constantly being avoided, and you can see it on full display when it does not fit the "white NRA lovin' types" narrative.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013
Or maybe, not so surprising?

The shooter Dewayne Craddock was just identified.

And the topic on Reeeset has barely 200 posts. When was the last time you see that hapoen with a topic related to guns and mass shooting?
I posted as much in the off-topic community thread. Like I said there, DeWayne doesn't sound like a white guy's name, so that explains why Era doesn't have much to say.

Oct 26, 2018
I posted as much in the off-topic community thread. Like I said there, DeWayne doesn't sound like a white guy's name, so that explains why Era doesn't have much to say.
That's because when some groups of people commit crimes, some are stereotyped as committing more than others.

If a White or Black man does a crime, ho hum. Most crimes are done by Whites and Blacks and almost all serious crime is done by dudes.

But one of these times some 85 year old South Korean granny will come out of nowhere and kill 30 people. It will make news all year as being an oddly freaky demographic committing a crime.

In the Toronto area, there have been an ongoing storyline of some Indian guy who is a surgeon killing his White wife (I think she was a doctor too?). A spousal conflict where the woman died. Big enough to hit headlines and follow pleas and court cases. But if some gang guys killing themselves at Jane and Finch on a weekend, it's a 20 second blurb and you'll never hear about it again.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013
That's because when some groups of people commit crimes, some are stereotyped as committing more than others.

If a White or Black man does a crime, ho hum. Most crimes are done by Whites and Blacks and almost all serious crime is done by dudes.

But one of these times some 85 year old South Korean granny will come out of nowhere and kill 30 people. It will make news all year as being an oddly freaky demographic committing a crime.

In the Toronto area, there have been an ongoing storyline of some Indian guy who is a surgeon killing his White wife (I think she was a doctor too?). A spousal conflict where the woman died. Big enough to hit headlines and follow pleas and court cases. But if some gang guys killing themselves at Jane and Finch on a weekend, it's a 20 second blurb and you'll never hear about it again.
Sorry, maybe I'm tired, but I don't really get what you're trying to say. I'm basically saying that if Era can't hate on straight white men , they're not gonna bother discussing such a topic.

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
A politician can't campaign on the shooting becuase the shooter wasn't a white male.
They will wait a bit, and then use it in their stats about mass shootings so they don’t have to talk about the race of the shooter. The mainstream perception (because of the media) is White males are always mass shooters. This is how they perpetuate that lie.

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
People are scared to be honest. You don't want to be that progressive that instantly becomes a Nazi because you dared question the media coverage ("don't prove Trump's point") or lumped minorities in with those NRA loving white males ("don't dare 'both sides' this!").

What's worse than being wrong on the internet? A lot, but good luck getting that message across to the angry mob.

Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

juliotendo

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2019
Mexico
Or maybe, not so surprising?

The shooter Dewayne Craddock was just identified.

And the topic on Reeeset has barely 200 posts. When was the last time you see that hapoen with a topic related to guns and mass shooting?
It’s not getting attention because:

• Not a white shooter or even some form of radical Islamic terrorism.
  • The people killed were “old” people and not children
  • The location wasn’t related to a school or religious center
Since the shooter was black, and a mix race group of “old people” were shot, and it was related to a “disgruntled employee” — there’s nothing for the media to sell here. No school shooting of innocent children, no synagogue being attacked by a racist white man, or terrorist attack. There’s nothing for the media to create endless amounts of airtime over and feign emotion and drama.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Mar 1, 2017
These shootings barely get any attention these days. It's depressing and makes you feel so powerless. Nowadays to get attention it seem you have to load up a couple dozen assault rifles and shoot thousands of rounds into hundreds of bodies to get attention. Even then, it's already mostly forgotten. Clown world indeed.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
There was another mass shooting? Jesus fuckin christ.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
Its not because the shooter was black. Its because mass shootings have become so common that they are barely covered beyond the first few days anymore. The New Zealand shooting was different due to the body count, the social media attention the shooter gave himself, and the fact that these thing never happen in New Zealand. In America these things happen almost bi-weekly now since Congress refuses to do anything about it. So its not really "shocking" anymore. Oh there was a mass shooting? Just another day in America.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
Its not because the shooter was black. Its because mass shootings have become so common that they are barely covered beyond the first few days anymore. The New Zealand shooting was different due to the body count, the social media attention the shooter gave himself, and the fact that these thing never happen in New Zealand. In America these things happen almost bi-weekly now since Congress refuses to do anything about it. So its not really "shocking" anymore. Oh there was a mass shooting? Just another day in America.
Oh please, discard gang violence in our inner-city Liberal strongholds, and we have the same per-capita gun violence statistics as Belgium. The only way your statement would be true is if every Chiraq gunfight were blasted over the national news, which it isn't by design.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
Oh please, discard gang violence in our inner-city Liberal strongholds, and we have the same per-capita gun violence statistics as Belgium. The only way your statement would be true is if every Chiraq gunfight were blasted over the national news, which it isn't by design.
How many mass shootings has Belgium had this year? How about the year before that?

Last edited:

triplestation

Dec 23, 2008
NYC
I think I saw a headline somewhere about this and I don't remember 'mass shooting' attached to the title. The fuck.

Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
How many mass shootings has Belgium had this year? How about the year before that?
In the US you have a greater chance of being struck by lightning while on your way to cash in your winning lottery ticket than be shot in a spree shooting. 'Mass Shootings' are legally defined as every incident where 2 or more people got shot, virtually exclusive to gang violence when you compare it to the total instances of people illegally getting shot.

Reactions: Eiknarf

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
In the US you have a greater chance of being struck by lightning while on your way to cash in your winning lottery ticket than be shot in a spree shooting. 'Mass Shootings' are legally defined as every incident where 2 or more people got shot, virtually exclusive to gang violence when you compare it to the total instances of people illegally getting shot.
You didn't answer the question. How many mass shootings has Belgium had this year or the previous year?

Should be easy to look up. I don't mind waiting. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: BraveOne
Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
You didn't answer the question. How many mass shootings has Belgium had this year or the previous year?

Should be easy to look up. I don't mind waiting. :)
They likely haven't had any, that doesn't change the fact that rural and small city America doesn't have much of a gun problem. Urban shitholes in this country have gun problems due to fantastical snarks and grumpkins that the media never wants to report on.

Last edited:
Reactions: matt404au

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
They likely haven't had any, that doesn't change the fact that rural and small city America doesn't have much of a gun problem. Urban shitholes in this country have gun problems due to fantastical snarks and grumpkins that the media never wants to report on.
Even if you take out gang related shootings gun violence in America is off the charts. We would still have several mass shootings a year from crazies and terrorists. That is not normal. We are the only major first world country that has a mass shooting problem on this scale.

Last edited:
Reactions: BraveOne and Yoshi
Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
Even if you take out gang related shootings gun violence in America is off the charts. We would still have several mass shootings a year from crazies and terrorists. That is not normal. We are the only major first world country that has a mass shooting problem on this scale.
A dozen incidents per year is less than a statistical outlier in a nation of 350+ million people. If you feel so threatened by the idea of becoming a victim then I urge your to acquire your concealed carry permit, train, and carry where legally able to.

I recommend the S&W M&P Shield Gen 2 in 9mm, it's what I have in my waistband everywhere I go.

Edit: I assume you're living in a shall-issue free state that doesn't treat it's citizens as children and criminals.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Yeah sure dude, it's just a coincidence that shootings that involve white men get Nationwide conversations and 24/7 airplay on CNN, but whenever it's any minority that bucks the trend all of a sudden

"we are tired",
"Just another day in America"

Blah blah blah. Can you ever not be full of shit?

Last edited:

Red Crayon Aristocrat

Gold Member
Jan 25, 2018
Southeastern USA
Yeah sure dude, it's just a coincidence that shootings that involve white men get Nationwide conversations and 24/7 airplay on CNN, but whenever it's any minority that bucks the trend all of a sudden

"we are tired",
"Just another day in America"

Blah blah blah. Can you ever not be full of shit?
Yeah, my thoughts exactly, it's embarrassing to think of anyone really going for that tactic when we all damn well know if he was white it'd be a bigger story.

gioGAF

Jun 14, 2011
MSM runs on narratives, not on news. They only report what fits their narrative (left, right, whatever). If it doesn't fit, it gets tossed aside.

Another point that hasn't been brought up, as far as I can tell, this guy used a handgun, which doesn't fit the evil assault rifle narrative.

I love it when people bring up disingenuous, pointless comments such as "nothing will be done". We have an insane number of people who die of preventable health-related reasons every year, yet "nothing is being done".

In the case of gun-related deaths, asking for something to be done is inane, it is already illegal. Aggravated assault, robbery and murder are already illegal, yet they continue to take place. I guess "nothing will be done" about these either.

I'm not interested in the loss of rights for those of us who are not criminals. If we all had mandatory curfews, no access to drugs/alcohol/firearms and chaperoned-only interactions with the opposite sex, we would see a drop on all violent crimes. How far are people willing to go with this shit?

There will always be criminals. As long as people have freedom, some people will choose to do unsavory things. The solution is most certainly not to strip EVERYONE of their freedom(s) because of the CRIMINALS among us.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Another point that hasn't been brought up, as far as I can tell, this guy used a handgun, which doesn't fit the evil assault rifle narrative.
They did make sure to report that he had extended magazines, however. So expect legislation on those there in 3... 2...

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
A dozen incidents per year is less than a statistical outlier in a nation of 350+ million people. If you feel so threatened by the idea of becoming a victim then I urge your to acquire your concealed carry permit, train, and carry where legally able to.
You seem to be missing the point. America is literally the only major country with this issue. The UK doesn't have this problem. France doesn't have this problem. Germany doesn't have this problem. Only America. And its because its gun laws are shit and its politicians are paid by lobbyists to not care.

Yes yes the whole nation is racist against us poor disenfranchised white people. You nailed it. You cracked the code. Good job. (y)

Last edited:

bucyou

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
You seem to be missing the point. America is literally the only major country with this issue. The UK doesn't have this problem. France doesn't have this problem. Germany doesn't have this problem. Only America. And its because its gun laws are shit and its politicians are paid by lobbyists to not care.
You dont have a point, there is no comparison of America to any of those countries. Either refute torrent or take the L

Reactions: rockbottom12
Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
I will concede that those European countries don't have as many white Europeans committing their mass shootings and acts of terrorism as we do.

Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
It's the Gun-nut's Varient of Coulter's Law, the longer the exact model of firearm used to commit a mass shooting is reported, the less likely it is to be what the media can construe as an 'assault weapon'.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
I will concede that those European countries don't have as many white Europeans committing their mass shootings and acts of terrorism as we do.
When was the last time a major European country had a mass shooting at a school or university?

Last edited:

somerset

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2019
Oh, for god's sake- everyone, and I mean *everyone* is bored by the trope of the disaffected yank worker who goes back into his place of work and shoots up his (ex) co-workers. It is one of the *saddest* aspects of American society. How is it even news? There is not a political dimension.

Think it's a 'gun' issue, 'think' again (yeah, I'm implying peeps who make such statements cannot think).

It's purely a cultural thing, like Indians throwing acid in the face of women. Horrific, disgusting, but *nothing to do with acid nor guns.

And since non-political culture things are the *hardest* to change, most sane people shrug their shoulders and hope somehow the future gets better in those nations.

PS did you know the USA and Ukraine/Russia are home to most of the worst civilian serial killers? Everywhere man is man, but in the USA and Russia, man is monster so many times. Why? How does this come about? And these are currently the two most powerful military blocs.

Does China suffer from the same- there is good reason to think so.

The mass shooter is *not* a serial killer, and given that mass shootings do associate with other lands as well, would seem to involve a somewhat different sociological mechanism to serial killing. Yet America is the land where a disgruntled employee feels *entitled* to go out in a murderous blaze where co-workers pay the price for his inner turmoil.

There is a certain religious cult, beloved by the USA, that has 'murder thy enemy' as its number one life rule. I think the two issues are connected somehow.

Last edited:

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
I had a google alert on my phone's lock screen with 3 stories on it. Just heard about it when I woke up.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Yes yes the whole nation is racist against us poor disenfranchised white people. You nailed it. You cracked the code. Good job. (y)
hmm.... pretty sure I didn't say anything about "disenfranchised white people" but what a surprise, nobody Important is full of shit, as always.

Dancing around the point as always 🙄

Last edited:
Reactions: rockbottom12

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
You strike me as more of a Thailand kind of guy.
Nope. The plan is either the UK or Canada. Preferably Canada.
hmm.... pretty sure I didn't say anything about "disenfranchised white people" but what a surprise, nobody Important is full of shit, as always. Dancing around the point as always 🙄
You were trying to say that white shooters are covered more because they are white and that since this guy was black it has been shelved. Which is obviously not true at all. The only one full of shit here is you. But that is par for the course at this point.

• LOL
Reactions: matt404au

autoduelist

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2014
I already did. He ignorantly tried comparing gun violence in America to Belgium. There is no comparison. America is infinitely worse.
Infinitely? Lol.

Yeah. A nation with guns has more gun violence than nations without significant gun culture. Get yer crackerjack prize. A nation without shovels would have less holes, too. What you fall to grasp is that we still want our guns.

Gun violence in the US has been going steadily down for years, despite what the news says. *

Gun ownership:

Well over half if the gun deaths in the US are suicides. Suicide rates in the US generally mirror those of other western countries, meaning people just find other ways [ie, gun suicides are not because of guns].

The simple truth is that the single best way we could lower gun violence would not be removing legal guns, but rather, address the real issue: gang violence. Because that's really what we are talking about.

And sure, we can get into that. But then we'd have to discuss single motherhood. And if we discuss that, we need to discuss the welfare system. And if we discuss that, well, c'mon, let's be serious, we both know you're not going in deep on that. We'd need to discuss drugs. And black on black crime. You ready for that?

And you want to talk mass shootings? Yeah. We can discuss those. But first we need to discuss.... single motherhood. Again. And then we need to discuss the psychotropic pharmaceuticals being pumped into a significant percentage of today's boys: specifically, the most unruly and aggressive of those boys, often without fathers, who instead of learning about discipline are learning to pill pop on doctor's orders. The very ones being told they are toxic and wrong and awful. Yeah. Let's talk about that.

What we don't really need to talk about much is the 2nd amendment. First, because its here to stay. Second, because it's not the driving force behind gun violence. Just like knife ownership isn't the driving force behind knife murders in London.

You know who wants to talk about how to solve the societal problems causing gun violence? The right. You know who wants to blame the results of decades of bad policy on guns? The left. Why? Because they actively discourage talking about any real issue that might contravene their gun control narrative.

Because you're too fucking scared to admit that single mothers are not equipped to handle the most aggressive boys. You're too scared to admit that they are failed at home, then failed by state schools, handed drugs by counselors to control them, then released to the streets with a shit education in democratic stronghold cities incapable of dealing with crime because cops are forced to police with one arm behind their back else you scream brutality. Failure after failure after failure, but that's okay because you point at that failure of policy, of that failure of liberal ideology, and get to scream that its racism instead. Just like the left will find something thing to blame typhus and bubonic plague in California on that doesn't implicate their own failed policy and inability to address homelessness because they're too scared they might offend the mentally ill.

*Charts from:

Last edited:

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Yeah, right. Next time someone in a MAGA hat shoots something up I eagerly await your non-partisan comments about the incident.
Hahaha.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
Yeah, right. Next time someone in a MAGA hat shoots something up I eagerly await your non-partisan comments about the incident.
Hahaha.
I find it rather ironic that you acknowledge that is probably gonna happen at some point.

Also what do you mean by "non-partisan". I will say fuck you to that shooter just like I did to this one. just like I would to any shooter.

Am I supposed to be offended or insulted by this? lol

Last edited: