• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Matrix 4 and John Wick 4 Opening on the SAME DAY (May 21, 2021)

brap

Banned
If only Brap had an opinion...

Lets throw Bill and Ted 3 on that date as well.

Bring it.
faxq1iV.jpg
OMG a sequel in current year to a 90s movie?? THAT'S SO HECKIN EPIC I GOTTA TELL ALL MY FRIENDS ON REDDIT

Ct64QF2.png

Nymphae

Banned
In all fairness, I was just throwing my opinion out there and wasn't expecting to be dog piled on and asked for examples. sheesh

One guy asking for an example is dogpiling lol? You speak in generalities, you should have a few movies in mind when you're telling me about how Asian action movies put American action films of the 80's and 90's to shame. Like just give me one, I'm not saying you're wrong I just want to know what you're talking about.

Also, watch the video Skyr posted.

lmao @ the 10 fucking camera cuts to show Liam Neeson jumping over a fence in Taken 3 (timestamped below)

Last edited:
One guy asking for an example is dogpiling lol? You speak in generalities, you should have a few movies in mind when you're telling me about how Asian action movies put American action films of the 80's and 90's to shame. Like just give me one, I'm not saying you're wrong I just want to know what you're talking about.

lmao @ the 10 fucking camera cuts to show Liam Neeson jumping over a fence in Taken 3 (timestamped below)

tumblr_pd3wwaQP6Q1rmrpdmo2_r1_400.gifv

sol_bad

I'll watch the video from Skyr Skyr , I have a feeling I have seen it before. I'm well aware the Bourne movies have terrible camera direction for the action.

RE Asian films, to be honest, in Australia we have a channel called SBS and they played (or did when I was a kid) a lot of foreign films. Most Saturday nights there would be a Hong Kong action flick or an anime. Some were Jackie Chan, Jet Li or Sammo Hung films, some weren't. I'd have to search and find the movies I remember seeing. I didn't remember their names as chances of me seeing them again was slim back in the 80's/90's.

O-N-E

That's really not saying much though? Me beating my meat is an action movie on par with action movies of the 2010s.

Brap, if you're badmouthing Fury Road I'm gonna pretend to be mad at you for at least an hour.

GreyHorace

The first Matrix is fine and I'll admit to being wowed by it when it came out. It was a vastly better cinema experience than the other big movie that year (Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace) and I admit to being hyped for what the Wachowski's would give us next.

Then the sequels came out, and the hype died. Reloaded is a dumb movie but I enjoyed the pointless action scenes for what they were. Revolutions on the other hand was insulting and I left the theater pissed off that they ended it that way. The Wachowski's got high on their own philosophical farts that they forgot to make good movies. I haven't watched a thing by them since then and I have no faith that a fourth movie set in this fictional universe will be anything but crap.

I will watch a fourth John Wick movie, if only because I've become a big fan of Keanu Reeves in recent years after learning about his tragic past (I feel bad about making fun of him after the Matrix sequels bombed). I liked the first John Wick though I do think it's a bit overrated and by the 3rd act it loses steam. But man, do I enjoy the sequels if only because how over-the-top and ridiculous the action scenes are. You don't go into these movies for the story but for the violent dance numbers with Keanu leading the show.

It may be sacrilege to say this but for me Keanu is possibly the greatest action star of the new millennium, and the Wick films perfectly showcase his greatest strengths as a physical actor. I mean, it'll be great when the new Bill and Ted comes out and he makes his return to comedy. But for now, he's found the perfect niche where people will pay big money to see him on the big screen.

Top Bottom