• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Medium Official Reveal with Gameplay

martino

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Good thing this was on the 1st page, I just re-watched the trailer.
Quite an epic looking game and that from a more unknown? team, it looks amazing graphically as well as atmospherically.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Edge Magazine, August 2020 Issue 347, Page 40-43
jn6e6H.png

jn6lMk.png

Last edited:
as if silent hill gameplay was any better .. i'd rather play walking simulator then finding the solution for tedious puzzles and checking 50 doors
in the same building .. if the atmosphere and story is good i am in

Silent Hill does have decent to solid combat which is extremely rare for modern horror games, atmosphere like no other, an amazing soundtrack, great sound design, memorable enemies and characters though. Literally every current horror game imho feels the same or are doing the same thing now being inspired by Amnesia.

Silent Hill is arguably the most memorable and influential horror game of all time and that speaks volumes that team Blooper even said that Silent Hill is a heavy inspiration for them with the Medium. Hopefully Medium will be pretty good though. I admittedly did enjoy Layers of Fear.

Last edited:
The more I read about this the more excited I get. The inclusion of fixed camera angles is almost too good to be true. I never thought I'd see those again after Resident Evil 4 ruined survival horror. I just hope that Bloober have put as much effort into mechanics and gameplay as visuals and narrative.

Bernkastel

So, just the core team working on The Medium is 100 people. Wikipedia is outdated.
And jumping into The Medium, The Medium is our new psychological horror game built around a central motive. So how your perspective changes your perception? Nothing is what it seems. Nothing is simple. Nothing is black and white. And only playing as a medium gives you a very unique vantage point that's beyond the reach for ordinary people. So you play as medium. She's called Marianne. She's living in two worlds, our real world and the spirit world. And Marianne is being hunted by visions of a child murder and you travel to an abandoned hotel resort to try to solve this horrible mystery.
So maybe just a little look behind the curtain because as Jacek we didn't announce our most important feature yet and it will be revealed soon, but today we can tell you that The Medium will be too challenging to bring on the current gen. Of course, you can downscale any game idea, but it will not be the same game as it is. So I can tell you that this is something about these tools that we have and we a really powerful hardware, which Xbox Series X is to bring this idea to life, so yeah.
It's perfect for our approach to games and in terms of new technology, we are also using ray tracing, 4K of course. And it's great for us because with Medium, we are aiming for very seamless cinematic experience and thanks to the power of Xbox we can deliver it.
I think it change emotion of the players, you see all this reflection, and as you say, on screens it's really hard to capture the feeling, but when you are in the game and you can see things kind of reflect the world to you and see how it works and see your character is going through that kind of level. I think is bumpy the emotion for me, it's the most important thing. Okay, the character is there, the place looks really real for me.
The medium is evolution of our psychological horror genre. You see Layers of Fear, Observer, Blair Witch, each game changed something for us and I think Medium is like big step further in the case, of course, graphic and cinematic experience and of course with gameplay, because now it's not only walking and finding things and maybe being scary, you need to think how to use Marianne powers. You need to think how to use both worlds, how they interact with each other in the gameplay, in the story. It's like constant being driven by the story, but also thinking what I should do now? Which power I need to use in which situation? So I think here it's like more gameplay, more difficult, but how to say it? Maybe Wojciech will help me now.
Yeah. So maybe from my perspective, so the game is designed to flow between worlds, so sometimes you are in one world, sometimes in another, of course each got their pros and cons of being there. And as Jacek said you have to think how to do something in one world and it will have a result in the second one. So you have to think of two worlds, flow between them and use them against something terrible sometimes. There are encounters in a game, but no shooting. So still no shotgun, but Marianne has some powers that can help her to get rid of the trouble.
Yeah, of course. It depends on the situation you want to build because sometimes silence is more scary than other sounds. It always depends on what emotions you want to tackle with current event or level. But if I can choose one thing, I would choose music. It gives you really good introduction to everything, to other emotions. So music plus something that your brain can relate to. So for example, scaring people in Observer were harder than scaring people in Leverage because your brain can easily relate to being alone in the forest because-
... everyone has been in the forest. If you have a good music and a place that your brain can relate to it's pretty easy.
That means our central is composed by two composers, Akira Yamaoka from Silent Hill series and Arkadiusz Reikowski our composer from Bloober Team that compose most our games like Layers of Fear, Observer and of course Blair Witch. So we have two approach, Akira, the guy in some way create new approach to horror game music and Arek, his approach is more cinematic may be and we collided, the same way like we collide the two worlds in our game. And of course, whole soundtrack is composed by these two people. Of course, soundtracks are more composed by one, some by the other, but it's still big corporation, but we collide two different personas with themselves.
Sorry. So basically Arkadiusz Reikowski is taking care of normal world because as a Polish guy and the game is happening in Krakow. He knows the vibe of our city and stuff like this and Akira Yamaoka is composing music for the spirit world. And of course they are exchanging ideas, but they are my main responsibility are like this.
I think Wojciech said before we can downscale any game and this is like not a problem. And I started thinking about it when he said, I think the most important thing with this new generation, this new hardware is you don't need to downscale. You can have your ideas and then can be really broad and you can create them. There is a place that everything will be like works as you want and feel it as you want. So I think because we can focus of course on graphics and cetera because generation looks better. Yes. But I think with the generation and I think Medium will be one of the examples it's like to show you new ideas, new ways to play games, maybe even new genres because of this possibility to not downscaling games. Now, downscale is your ideas, your dreams.
You mentioned our external help and of course we are using and cooperating. We fixed around companies, so we are using outsourcing artists, there's houses and stuff like this. So this 100 people is our core team here.

Bernkastel

This and Scorn at launch? Good gets for horror fans!
Scorn is coming much later. In the above interview(linked by IbizaPocholo)
It’s really exciting to be one of the first studios developing for Xbox Series X.
On the other hand Scorn devs said they had the dev kit for only 2 weeks(during their interview).

No combat, huh? :/

Unfortunately, I’ve gotten to a point where I don’t think we’ll ever see a horror game with actual combat again unless your name is Resident Evil or maybe Silent Hill. Not saying every horror game has to have combat, but rarely seeing combat in horror games is disappointing for me. Maybe the main character has some tricks up her sleeve so I’ll reserve judgement. The Medium still looks interesting though and Akira Yamaoka is amazing.

Last edited:
Only interested in this game if it actually has combat and free roam like Silent Hill 1/2. Otherwise, its just another super linear walking simulator in a different tone

Have they confirmed actual combat in this game?

Bernkastel

Only interested in this game if it actually has combat and free roam like Silent Hill 1/2. Otherwise, its just another super linear walking simulator in a different tone

Have they confirmed actual combat in this game?
There is combat but not guns. She uses her supernatural powers. Also, you switch between real world and spirit world.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
If Blair Witch is any indication on the supernatural combat Im good thanks.

Last edited:
So far, this thread has taught me that if you aren't combatting the supernatural with guns/knives/grenades, it isn't 'actual combat'.

I blame all these zombie games.

As a horror fan, I can't wait to see this title in action.

If their "combat" is something akin to what they did with blair witch then they may as well not have combat

Bernkastel

A third party developer is developing a game that is neither owned nor published by microsoft. The only bullshit is that you're still under the delusion that its anything but a timed exclusive
If the devs call it "Xbox Series X console exclusive" rather than timed exclusive, its your job to explain why it will come to PS5 rather than me explaining why it wont.

If the devs call it "Xbox Series X console exclusive" rather than timed exclusive, its your job to explain why it will come to PS5 rather than me explaining why it wont.

I've already explained why. Its not a microsoft owned or published IP, so there's no logical reason that they wont port it over to PS5 other than the fact that they've got a timed contract.

Bernkastel

I don't. I know they still have control over where their game will go though given they're self publishing it
And how do you know what control they have? Unlike Blair Witch, both Scorn and The Medium devs mention a contract with Microsoft and keep calling it "Xbox Series X console exclusive"(not even timed exclusive), a wording not used by the dev of Bright Memory Infinite. Which is why Bright Memory Infinite is called timed exclusive, but not The Medium and Scorn.

And how do you know what control they have? Unlike Blair Witch, both Scorn and The Medium devs mention a contract with Microsoft and keep calling it "Xbox Series X console exclusive"(not even timed exclusive), a wording not used by the dev of Bright Memory Infinite. Which is why Bright Memory Infinite is called timed exclusive, but not The Medium and Scorn.

Why would you think they're self publishing if they dont even have control over their own IP?

If they were exclusived like you think they are you can be garunteed Xbox would flaunt it. They're not though, which makes it even more likely they're just timed exclusives

(Where do they talk about conteacts btw?)

Goddamn it, happens every gen. Xbox always has some kickass exclusive early gen then by late gen PS is completely dominating. For 360 it was Ace Combat 6 and all those JRPGs, for XB1 it was Sunset Overdrive, now it is The Medium.

As a one console guy puts me in dilemma. Could build PC but next gen specs are gonna make it expensive.

I’m not so confident that this game will remain XBox exclusive forever especially if the sales disappoint. Well, with the rarity of exclusives these days, it wouldn’t surprise me if it eventually came to PS5 or PC later. No one ever though PS4 exclusives would come to PC, but here we are now.

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
Looks good, to be honest. This is what I expect from next gen right now: current gen with higher resolution + ray tracing + better assets + some usage of the SSDs for gameplay elements that would be downright impossible / subpar on previous gens.

The "gameplay" seems to be similar to what we've seen from HFW: gameplay with pretty shots, no HUD. I don't mind it.

Bernkastel

Why would you think they're self publishing if they dont even have control over their own IP?

If they were exclusived like you think they are you can be garunteed Xbox would flaunt it. They're not though, which makes it even more likely they're just timed exclusives
They do flaunt The Medium and Scorn as Xbox Series X exclusive. In the Major Nelson podcast, Jason Ronald called said The Medium and Scorn are Xbox Series X console exclusive but not Bright Memory Infinite(even though the latter also has no mention of Xbox One version in their website).
(Where do they talk about conteacts btw?)
Scorn’s Xbox Series X exclusivity deal is a very recent development, Peklar tells us.
“We’ve been talking to Microsoft for some time now, sending them various builds, etc. The actual deal happened quite recently and it was realized in a timely manner.”
There was also a similar one about The Medium in another interview.

Bernkastel

I’m not so confident that this game will remain XBox exclusive forever especially if the sales disappoint. Well, with the rarity of exclusives these days, it wouldn’t surprise me if it eventually came to PS5 or PC later. No one ever though PS4 exclusives would come to PC, but here we are now.
Theres also the rumours about Microsoft buying Bloober Team. Both Techland and The Astronaut came out and denied the acquisition rumours, but not Bloober Team, even though they had actual legit leaks compared to the other two.

I'm wondering if this game will have the SSD as a minimum requirement. I really can't see it working well with a HDD.

Last edited:
They do flaunt The Medium and Scorn as Xbox Series X exclusive. In the Major Nelson podcast, Jason Ronald called said The Medium and Scorn are Xbox Series X console exclusive but not Bright Memory Infinite(even though the latter also has no mention of Xbox One version in their website).

There was also a similar one about The Medium in another interview.

Some obscure xbox employee name dropping them in a podcast is hardly what i'd call flaunting. Where's all the marketing calling them Xbox Exclusives like they usually do?

Okay so they brought up an exclusivity deal. Lots of games have exclusivity deals that are never publically announced. Blair witch woukd have also mist most definitely had an exclusivity deal

Last edited:
This game looks really damn interesting and I am really excited to play it honestly. If it can pull off the scares, the story and the atmosphere then I think I will have a blast playing it.

It's coming to Game Pass day one right?

Bernkastel

Some obscure xbox employee name dropping them is hardly what i'd call flaunting. Where's all the marketing calling them Xbox Exclusives like they usually do?
Jason Ronald is the lead hardware architect aka Xbox's Mark Cerny aka The Bearded Guy, not some obscure employee.
They have stopped marketing the exclusive tag since Hellblade II reveal.
Good, since they will also come to PC.
Okay so they brought up an exclusivity deal. Lots of games have exclusivity deals that are never publically announced. Blair witch woukd have also mist most definitely had an exclusivity deal
During Blair Witch they didnt talk about any deal though. They were like "This is come to Xbox One first" like Bright Memory Infinite.

Top Bottom