• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

Tain

Hey guys I know I can access the foreign digital markets on XBox 360 and install games if I make a profile for that region. I also know if I buy and install anything this way that isn't region free I'm boned as it wont play.

So is the digital version of Espgaluda 2 region free or not?

Same question applies for
Galaxy Force
Eschatos
Mushihimesama Futari
Barret Seoul (lol at that translation
Shooting love 200x

Games on Demand won't let you buy a game that is region locked against your system. I've ran into plenty of warnings trying to buy digital US games on my Japanese 360.

shaowebb

Games on Demand won't let you buy a game that is region locked against your system. I've ran into plenty of warnings trying to buy digital US games on my Japanese 360.

The thing is I dont know if those digital versions of the titles listed are region locked or not. Weren't only certain editions of the cave games listed region free? Bullet Soul and the rest matter little to me, but I'd hate to dive in only to find that I bought a digital copy thats one of the locked versions.

BOTEC

The thing is I dont know if those digital versions of the titles listed are region locked or not. Weren't only certain editions of the cave games listed region free? Bullet Soul and the rest matter little to me, but I'd hate to dive in only to find that I bought a digital copy thats one of the locked versions.

I would assume that if a game was region-locked they would also IP block purchases from other regions. I know for a fact that Shooting Love 200X is IP locked, since it won't let me buy via GoD in the US, even though I have a NTSC-J console.

shaowebb

Oh well...those games still come to $26 dollars or so digital so I may as well import them anyways considering its not that much of a deal.

cuilan

Oh well...those games still come to $26 dollars or so digital so I may as well import them anyways considering its not that much of a deal.

I believe some of those games are cheaper if you buy them from the Hong Kong XBL marketplace.

Ginga Force is about $40
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-HK/Product/GINGA-FORCE/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802515507d2

Otomedius Excellent is about $27
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-HK/Product/OTOMEDIUS-EXCELLENT/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024b4e081a

Espgaluda 2 is about $20
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-HK/Product/ESPGALUDA2/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802435a07d8

Eschatos is about $20
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-HK/Product/ESCHATOS/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802515507d1

Mushihime-sama Futari is about $20
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-HK/Product/虫姫さまふたり/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802435a07d7

Deathsmiles is about $20
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-HK/Product/DEATHSMILES/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802435a07d5

Bullet Soul is about $20
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-HK/Product/Bullet-Soul/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802465607df

Mamoru-kun is about $20
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-HK/Product/まもるクンは呪われてしまった/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802475207f6

Raiden IV is about $20
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-HK/Product/Raiden-IV/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d4f07d1

Senko no Ronde Rev.X is about $20
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-HK/Product/WAR-TECH-SenkoNoRonde/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802475207d1

Not shmups, but the following JP-only games are also available on the HK store:

Virtual-On Force is about $15
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-HK/Product/Virtual-On-Force/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025345084c

Idolm@ster is about $20
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-HK/Product/THE-IDOLM-STER/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024e4d07db

Idolm@ster Live For You is about $20
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-HK/Product/アイドルマスター-ライブフォーユー/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024e4d07ea

Slermy

I believe some of those games are cheaper if you buy them from the Hong Kong XBL marketplace.

Senko no Ronde Rev.X is about $20
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-HK/Product/WAR-TECH-SenkoNoRonde/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802475207d1

Virtual-On Force is about $15
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-HK/Product/Virtual-On-Force/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025345084c

What?

Hmmm.... it might be time to setup an HK account.

Edit: Nevermind, forgot about marketplace region locking.

cuilan

What does the big number in the top right corner represent?

Are you talking about SDOJ's 360 mode? The number is tied to the lifebar. As the lifebar drains (either by bombing or using laser), the number goes down. As you pick up green medals during hyper, the lifebar and the number go back up. It probably affects the value of something also (medals? enemies destroyed?).

gunstarhero

Are you talking about SDOJ's 360 mode? The number is tied to the lifebar. As the lifebar drains (either by bombing or using laser), the number goes down. As you pick up green medals during hyper, the lifebar and the number go back up. It probably affects the value of something also (medals? enemies destroyed?).

Yep - that's right. I THINK the number also affects the bonus you get for picking up bees. I'm not sure of this, but I thought I noticed bigger bonuses when I grabbed a bee at 10,000 vs. a lower number in that counter.

LOVE this mode BTW - easily more fun than Arcade mode - reminds me a bit of Akai Katana Shin's play mechanic.

EDIT: Never mind - the number has no affect on the bee bonus as far as I can tell. Carry on.

Llyranor

I'm still debating whether to import Saidaioujou. I want to support region-free Cave, but I haven't played enough of the recent Cave shmups I bought (DS2, Resurrection, Akai) to justify the price. I feel as though I should spend more time on them before investing in another one.

BOTEC

I'm still debating whether to import Saidaioujou. I want to support region-free Cave, but I haven't played enough of the recent Cave shmups I bought (DS2, Resurrection, Akai) to justify the price. I feel as though I should spend more time on them before investing in another one.

I'm sure there will be a half priced "CAVE The Best" re-release in a few months. I'd wait for that if you don't want to blow the cash right now. They've been pretty consistent with the re-releases.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Just dropped $505 for a new J360 with Mushi HD (w/ DLC), SDOJ, and Shooting Love 10th shipped by EMS along with two new boxed Saturn Cool Pads (I have a converter for my 360) I paid for awhile back. Woop. Plus, I finally get to play this copy of Ketsui I've had for three years.

Still need to get DOJBLEX (pm me if any of you want to part with it) and replace the localized versions of the STGs I have. So glad region locking is dead next gen.

Yes Boss!

Just dropped $505 for a new J360 with Mushi HD (w/ DLC), SDOJ, and Shooting Love 10th shipped by EMS along with two new boxed Saturn Cool Pads (I have a converter for my 360) I paid for awhile back. Woop. Plus, I finally get to play this copy of Ketsui I've had for three years.

Still need to get DOJBLEX (pm me if any of you want to part with it) and replace the localized versions of the STGs I have. So glad region locking is dead next gen.

Mushi HD is seriously the single best region-locked game. So fricken' gorgeous. You will have so much fun.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Mushi HD is seriously the single best region-locked game. So fricken' gorgeous. You will have so much fun.
Yeah, it seems up my alley. Finding a standard edition with the DLC was a pain though, and I wouldn't buy it without the DLC because 1.5 looks great as well. No idea why they would essentially confine an entire game to first print DLC.

Yes Boss!

Yeah, it seems up my alley. Finding a standard edition with the DLC was a pain though, and I wouldn't buy it without the DLC because 1.5 looks great as well. No idea why they would essentially confine an entire game to first print DLC.

Yeah,

It truly is one of the best bonuses for the Cave sets. The good news is that there are a ton of the DLC discs out in rotation from the Cave Box so fans can help each other out in the future. Though, I'm suspecting someone will find out how to put it online for future users.

SOME-MIST

after the ketsui port went to PS3 region-free, I'd definitely agree with this. Even if the ketsui port was still region-locked to 360, the mushi HD port has the best features, options, setup, and overall port of any Cave game... I just prefer the gameplay of ketsui. still..can't match the quality of the mushi hd port.

Yes Boss!

For sure, Ketsui is top, Top, TOP region-locked game.

But it is on PS3 so now it is Mushi HD.

Damn shame the title fell into the liminal space between region-free titles.

Here is to hoping it becomes one of the first ports, using the assets, to the new machines.

BOTEC

For sure, Ketsui is top, Top, TOP region-locked game.

But it is on PS3 so now it is Mushi HD.

Damn shame the title fell into the liminal space between region-free titles.

Here is to hoping it becomes one of the first ports, using the assets, to the new machines.

Mushihime-sama 4K

Yes Boss!

Mushihime-sama 4K

Shamefully,

I'd be happy to just double-dip for the new packaging on the new system and the chance to use new stick with it.

I really wonder if we will see shmup new releases next gen. I'm perfectly happy living with our history from the last 30 years but I'd like to see some new stuff...get Crimson Clover ported etc.

Man, I really love the genre (even if I'm rather poor at it).

hongcha

I think Shmups will continue to be made on the X360 in Japan for the next couple years by small developers, because that's where the fanbase is. Sorta like how they continued on the Dreamcast after other companies stopped making games for it.

Yes Boss!

I think Shmups will continue to be made on the X360 in Japan for the next couple years by small developers, because that's where the fanbase is. Sorta like how they continued on the Dreamcast after other companies stopped making games for it.

Yeah,

I'm calling two to three per year for the next two years. If we get things like the recent Triangle and Caladrius it will be worth it. I really think there is at least another three to five releases left.

(I really need to get another J-360 as a back-up)

cuilan

Honestly, I feel like Ketsui is Cave's Ikaruga/RSG. Take that as you will...

On a semi-related note, would anyone be willing to trade me their Espgaluda 2 360 for my Ketsui 360? I would also consider one of the following 360 ports instead: Platinum Collection Deathsmiles (the one with MBL on disc), DFK BL disc release, Mushihime-sama HD, maybe Akai Katana Shin.

SOME-MIST

Honestly, I feel like Ketsui is Cave's Ikaruga/RSG. Take that as you will...
I've actually been wondering what you mean by this. do you mean it's cave's most popular game? because I'd say it's futari or deathsmiles. you don't need to know how to score well to beat it. the scoring system is probably one of cave's easiest. it also probably ranks near the middle or slightly towards the high end of difficulty.

SOME-MIST

I'd rather not play the guessing game, but I assume you just don't like it as much as treasure's other games? I do prefer sin & punishment: star successor and alien soldier to rsg and ikaruga.

cuilan

I'd rather not play the guessing game, but I assume you just don't like it but you like treasure's other games? I do prefer sin & punishment: star successor and alien soldier to rsg and ikaruga.

Heh, it's not that I don't like it, it's more like I don't get all the praise it gets (same case with Ikaruga and RSG). Of all the Cave shooters I've played so far, I'd rank it somewhere in the middle. I picked up the port on release since I bought into all the hype from places like the shmups forum and n-g.com's shmup community, and I ended up being somewhat disappointed. I'd probably think better of it if I hadn't bought Futari 1.5 before it, since I think Futari 1.5/BL is superior in pretty much every category (scoring, visuals, music, difficulty curve). The Ketsui port's arrange mode and AST are much better than the arcade version, but it's still not as good as Futari. Because of that (and now SDOJ), Ketsui ends up feeling like a redundant piece of my collection, so I feel I'd be better off with something else in its place.

And since you brought up Futari and Deathsmiles being popular, I want to mention that I completely agree with you there. But I'd go a step further and say that they both deserve all of the popularity they've received. Particularly Deathsmiles, which is Cave's best shooter in my eyes (though to be fair, some of its best features were shamelessly stolen from the original Otomedius).

BOTEC

PR for Ketsui PS3 is kicking into gear, so here's the newest PV showing off Arcade, X-Mode and a sample of the superplay Blu-ray. The quality of that one looks far better than the most DVD's tend to be. Glad to see they're taking the whole Blu-ray thing seriously. Also, it looks like the pre-order bonus will be the DDP DFK Black Label Arrange Mode (Ketsuipachi) soundtrack. Cool, that disc is great. Still, not sure if worth the asking price.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201306/25035558.html

PR for Ketsui PS3 is kicking into gear, so here's the newest PV showing off Arcade, X-Mode and a sample of the superplay Blu-ray. The quality of that one looks far better than the most DVD's tend to be. Glad to see they're taking the whole Blu-ray thing seriously. Also, it looks like the pre-order bonus will be the DDP DFK Black Label Arrange Mode (Ketsuipachi) soundtrack. Cool, that disc is great. Still, not sure if worth the asking price.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201306/25035558.html

I'm not really sure about the price but I figured I'd lock my LE order in early to avoid future disappointment.
Thanks for the link.

Yes Boss!

Tempting to get Ketsui PS3 version, but 360 is so cheap these days I might pick it up now.

AmiAmi has it for about $73 and $100 delivered. A bit pricey but not too bad. 360 is, what, about $45 and $65. I think $30-35 is worth it for the region-free, more stable hardware scratch-resistant disc, and the novelty factor of getting a Cave game with a PS3 package. Plus that blu-ray looks neat. I'll actually watch it.

I guess the PS3 one will price bomb in the coming year anyways.

jbueno

AmiAmi has it for about $73 and $100 delivered. A bit pricey but not too bad. 360 is, what, about $45 and $65. I think $30-35 is worth it for the region-free, more stable hardware scratch-resistant disc, and the novelty factor of getting a Cave game with a PS3 package. Plus that blu-ray looks neat. I'll actually watch it.

I guess the PS3 one will price bomb in the coming year anyways.

Yeah I thought about that, but unfortunately having no PS3 stick keeps holding me back. Might get one of those cheap MC Brawlsticks and fit it with Seimitsu parts.

Yes Boss!

Yeah I thought about that, but unfortunately having no PS3 stick keeps holding me back. Might get one of those cheap MC Brawlsticks and fit it with Seimitsu parts.

Yeah, that is a kicker about the stick.

I don't trust any of my 360s for longevity. I'll be playing PS3 exclusively.

A shame, I've got two copies of Ketsui 360,since I upgraded to the deluxe pack, but my standard is way over stuck in CA. If you still need it in a year I'd sell it for a song.

Ms. Tea

I'm really excited about Ketsui coming out for PS3. I only recently got back into shmups (thanks to Cave's iOS ports), so getting a 360 of any region was never really on my radar. I'm really glad to be able to get one of Cave's games on the console I already own. Definitely getting this one day one.

Since 5pb was only involved in this and DOJ (which I'm not really interested in) I guess this doesn't really mean anything about the possibility of PS3 versions of other Cave games though. I can only hope. I'd really, really love Mushihimesama Futari to come out on a console I own... otherwise I still may be tempted to get a cheap 360 if I have the chance.

So, I saw someone call the Ketsuipachi soundtrack a preorder bonus. Is it a bonus for both versions of the game, or is it just the CD that comes with all copies of the LE?

BOTEC

I'm really excited about Ketsui coming out for PS3. I only recently got back into shmups (thanks to Cave's iOS ports), so getting a 360 of any region was never really on my radar. I'm really glad to be able to get one of Cave's games on the console I already own. Definitely getting this one day one.

Since 5pb was only involved in this and DOJ (which I'm not really interested in) I guess this doesn't really mean anything about the possibility of PS3 versions of other Cave games though. I can only hope. I'd really, really love Mushihimesama Futari to come out on a console I own... otherwise I still may be tempted to get a cheap 360 if I have the chance.

So, I saw someone call the Ketsuipachi soundtrack a preorder bonus. Is it a bonus for both versions of the game, or is it just the CD that comes with all copies of the LE?

The Ketsuipachi disc looks like a pre-order bonus only for the LE, not the regular edition. The two discs that come with he LE are Arcade OST and X-Mode AST, which is a different soundtrack.

BOTEC

Cool, good to know. I think I'm passing on the LE, but sounds like it's quite a bundle of soundtracks it comes with.

It really is. You know what, fuck it. I just upgraded my pre-order to the LE. I'm a video game music and superplay DVD nerd, so this is a must-have package for me.

jbueno

Yeah, that is a kicker about the stick.

I don't trust any of my 360s for longevity. I'll be playing PS3 exclusively.

A shame, I've got two copies of Ketsui 360,since I upgraded to the deluxe pack, but my standard is way over stuck in CA. If you still need it in a year I'd sell it for a song.

Sure, I´ll gladly buy that copy off your hands if you ever need to get rid of it.

Yes Boss!

Sure, I´ll gladly buy that copy off your hands if you ever need to get rid of it.

Sure, just shoot me a PM once you got a little bit cash...$10 or $15 or $20, whatever you feel like doing. I've got the disc here if you would need that earlier. Package would have to be sent either in december or march when I'm back home.

Tain

lol, Saidaioujou is still ridiculous (arcade). I can't do the second boss without bombs. I still catch myself dying on the stage one boss! I might break down and switch to C-S because stage 3 as A-S is overwhelming.

Yes Boss!

A little too difficult for my liking, even the Novice mode which I really like. I've kinda hung up the game...maybe in a year or two I'll get back to it.

Novice mode is really accessible imo. I can get to stage 5 without dying, which is the quickest curve I've ever had on anything not Deathsmiles. Then again, it could be one of those where the last stage is 2x as difficult as the first four, as I still haven't beat it. I haven't been really gunning for it though.

360 mode also has a really good difficulty curve to it, and allows you to control rank and difficulty to an extent. Arcade and 1.5 are ungodly hard, but I feel like there's a good amount of modes to work up to them.

cuilan

lol, Saidaioujou is still ridiculous (arcade). I can't do the second boss without bombs. I still catch myself dying on the stage one boss! I might break down and switch to C-S because stage 3 as A-S is overwhelming.

I would strongly recommend you use D-L, or even D-S.

Just press the Back button on the ship select screen.

Top Bottom