• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

Mushihimesama HD looks excellent. But it also makes me think that they're running out of ports. Hopefully sales of their classic games will make them realize that there's still a demand for classic shoot em ups in the vein of Ketsui, Futari, DDP, DDP Daioujou, Espgaluda II, Deathsmiles, etc. I really hope Daifukkatsu and Akai Katana were just fads and they'll move back towards the classic style they're known for. After seeing vids of the newest DDP, I think they've got the message and they're bringing classic back.

Also I really wish I could afford it, but the $85 (before shipping or import tax) asking price is brutal.

Mushihimesama HD looks excellent. But it also makes me think that they're running out of ports. Hopefully sales of their classic games will make them realize that there's still a demand for classic shoot em ups in the vein of Ketsui, Futari, DDP, DDP Daioujou, Espgaluda II, Deathsmiles, etc. I really hope Daifukkatsu and Akai Katana were just fads and they'll move back towards the classic style they're known for. After seeing vids of the newest DDP, I think they've got the message and they're bringing classic back.

Also I really wish I could afford it, but the $85 (before shipping or import tax) asking price is brutal.
I know there's a lot of criticism about Resurrection, but what's wrong with Akai Katana? I've never heard any complaints about that, quite the opposite. According to some people who were able to play the new DDP, it's going to be more into the direction of older Cave games, so I guess you'll be happier with that. If it gets ported some day.

Managed to reach the second place on the leaderboards of Deathsmiles 1.1 with Ex on. DS is my first shmup ever and I was really surprised to get that high. Feels great!

Not sure if it's been mentioned here yet, but when Mushihimesama HD was announced Asada wrote that it would be Cave's last game on the current generation of game consoles.

I know there's a lot of criticism about Resurrection, but what's wrong with Akai Katana? I've never heard any complaints about that, quite the opposite.

The most common complaint is that it's too easy and boring. A lot of people I know who are into Cave's other games pretty much ignore Akai Katana completely.

SOME-MIST

I think Akai Katana Shin is a lot of fun, tho I would agree it's a bit easy to 1CC. I've only stuck to the arcade mode, but have sunk (probably) a couple hundred hours into it. I think the three modes offer a lot of replayability.

Then again, I'm not really too insane of a shmupper either, but I at least placed 9th for type 2 (and around 50th overall).

Ra1den

I really hope Daifukkatsu and Akai Katana were just fads and they'll move back towards the classic style they're known for.

I think Daifukkatsu is a hell of a lot more fun than Dai-Ou-Jou or Dodonpachi. But yeah looking at the footage of Saidaioujou, they do seem to be going back to the older style. Bullet patterns look pretty bland and tame, a lot like Dai-Ou-Jou's were.

I think Daifukkatsu is a hell of a lot more fun than Dai-Ou-Jou or Dodonpachi. But yeah looking at the footage of Saidaioujou, they do seem to be going back to the older style. Bullet patterns look pretty bland and tame, a lot like Dai-Ou-Jou's were.

Tame is not how I'd describe DOJ at all, and the SDOJ location test versions were brutally hard.

jbueno

Tame is not how I'd describe DOJ at all, and the SDOJ location test versions were brutally hard.

Yeah DOJ is hard as nails, both survival and scoring, specially vanilla WL DOJ. I remember reading a thread on the shmups forum about the hardest STG ever, discussing a list made by Japanese players and DOJ was in the top 5. I think it was on Arcadia magazine, but I'm not sure .

DOJ White Label is definitely one of the hardest shooters around. All of your lives are removed when enter the second loop, and the only way to earn more is by no missing a stage.

Akai Katana and DFK 1.5 are easy to clear, but I love Cave's games for their excellent scoring systems, which is why Akai Katana one of my favorites. DFK seems good too, but I haven't put any real time into it yet, so no comment.

japtor

Yeah DOJ was hard, which I liked for survival but absolutely hated for scoring, the timing was too strict for my tastes. Wasn't a huge fan of the music either but that's a completely different issue.

I have more fun with DFK although one complaint I've heard is that at an extent it relies too much on the hyper bullet canceling for survival, like I think the true last boss has a pattern which you basically have to bullet cancel to survive, which sounds pretty crappy. SDOJ apparently gets rid of that so the patterns should get better for super happy fun bullet dodging time.
these cave games used to scale real nice on the ipad1 with ios4 in 2x mode: real chunky and pixely. with ios5, tho, they look mad blurry and washed out.
Weird, at least on my iPad 2 the games do sharp pixel doubling as of iOS 5, and back when I had my first iPad and iOS 4 I remember Espgaluda II being blurry back then too.

Ra1den

Yeah I'm certainly not saying Daioujou was easier than Daifukkatsu, but Daioujou's bullet patterns are boring when compared to Daifukkatsu's, regardless of the difficulty. Daifukkatsu gives a much better rush with it's bullet density and patterns, and going back to Daioujou afterward just feels boring in comparison. So I'm disappointed with how Saidaioujou is looking to be. Getting rid of the forced auto-bomb is nice, but I wish they'd keep the feel of Daifukkatsu.

BOTEC

I don't remember if this was mentioned, but Cave has the official Saidaioujou site up:

http://www.cave.co.jp/gameonline/saidaioujou/

They've recently updated the character section with Element Doll profiles. While there I noticed that they listed the voice actresses along with other details. I was amused by this blatant otaku bait, and then I noticed that Mamiko Noto is the voice of Maria.

Day 1. Cave just pwned me.

They've recently updated the character section with Element Doll profiles. While there I noticed that they listed the voice actresses along with other details. I was amused by this blatant otaku bait, and then I noticed that Mamiko Noto is the voice of Maria.

Day 1. Cave just pwned me.

Wow... Instant Brain had some heavy hitters in its cast too, but that's still pretty crazy. Now I'm really wondering what their console port plans are if any.

BOTEC

Wow... Instant Brain had some heavy hitters in its cast too, but that's still pretty crazy. Now I'm really wondering what their console port plans are if any.

I tried poking around the internets to see if I can get any clues. Came up empty. It's likely planned for new console hardware, but it looks like everyone is prepping their next platforms for launch so it doesn't help narrow it down.

Fun fact: Mamiko Noto is the voice of Tsukiko Joshima, the last boss of Shikigami no Shiro III (Castle Of Shikigami 3). That was the role that made me fall in love with her.

I only know that it will be hard to resist to buy the console, that will get the port.

Question for those who have played DDP Resurrection: I have played Novice and Xbox 360 so far, but haven't even touched the arranged modes. Which one should I play first? I'm more into scoring than surviving.

Ninja Dom

Can I ask a n00b question?

Dodonpachi Maximum on Windows phone is developed by Evac Industries. Evac is Cave spelt backwards.

But just who are Evac Industries?

jbueno

I only know that it will be hard to resist to buy the console, that will get the port.

Question for those who have played DDP Resurrection: I have played Novice and Xbox 360 so far, but haven't even touched the arranged modes. Which one should I play first? I'm more into scoring than surviving.

I really recommend Arrange A because scoring isn't as frustrating as Vanilla 1.5 and it is easier to keep your chain up; I didn't quite get Arrange B, so I wouldn't recommend it pass an initial playthrough.

Also don't hesitate to get the Black Label DLC, that way in addition to the best version of DFK you get its great OST to use in other modes.

There's nothing tame about the nonstop, soul crushing beatdown that DOJ delivers. Even in the first loop.

DOJ is still a really awesome game though.

I really recommend Arrange A because scoring isn't as frustrating as Vanilla 1.5 and it is easier to keep your chain up; I didn't quite get Arrange B, so I wouldn't recommend it pass an initial playthrough.

Also don't hesitate to get the Black Label DLC, that way in addition to the best version of DFK you get its great OST to use in other modes.

Oh right, I completely forgot about the DLC. I even bought some Microsoft points for it, when I got the game a couple of months ago. I think I'm giving Arrange A a try later and download BL. Thank you.

Gaspode_T

Not sure if it's been mentioned here yet, but when Mushihimesama HD was announced Asada wrote that it would be Cave's last game on the current generation of game consoles.

The most common complaint is that it's too easy and boring. A lot of people I know who are into Cave's other games pretty much ignore Akai Katana completely.

He expanded upon these thoughts in the latest Famitsu 360 magazine (two different columns actually), I would translate it but it boils down to some pretty simple statements:
1) They considered making Mushihimesama HD their first multiplatform for current gen consoles, but decided not to out of respect to their loyal Xbox fanbase.

2) They have dev kits for all major hardware (implies Vita IMO)

3) They are evaluating what to do next for both arcade and consoles, but implication is strongly that "we will make a jump to a next gen of games" (maybe that includes high res iPad 3 games, who knows!)

Zeth

I guess we won't get any DDP Resurrection videos before release this week? Does that bring it up to similar res sprites as the 360 version? That announcement made my freakin day, and made the last 24 hours of the iPad 3 wait that much better.

japtor

I guess we won't get any DDP Resurrection videos before release this week? Does that bring it up to similar res sprites as the 360 version? That announcement made my freakin day, and made the last 24 hours of the iPad 3 wait that much better.
View this video in portrait and double tap to zoom full screen, hopefully it'll look like that (well probably without the arrange modes):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOL5WUfwmh8

Espgaluda II HD had pixel doubled backgrounds, but apparently so did the 360 version. I'm hoping that was just a matter of not wanting to create new background assets rather than a technical limitation. Since DFK already has high res assets all around I'm hoping they're all there in the iOS release.

View this video in portrait and double tap to zoom full screen, hopefully it'll look like that (well probably without the arrange modes):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOL5WUfwmh8

Espgaluda II HD had pixel doubled backgrounds, but apparently so did the 360 version. I'm hoping that was just a matter of not wanting to create new background assets rather than a technical limitation. Since DFK already has high res assets all around I'm hoping they're all there in the iOS release.

DFK's backgrounds are pixel doubled as well.

japtor

Huh yeah, guess I didn't look closely enough.

Whatever the case it tends to not be that noticeable outside of a few parts just cause you tend to be focusing on bullets and not dying.

I think it's safe to say that if we haven't heard anything about its region status by now (and we haven't), that you should assume it's region locked.

Unfortunately, it's starting to look that way. I'm hoping it comes stateside at some point.

I think I remember Mushi Futari selling pretty well compared to Cave's previous games, and with it being region free, I think that shows there's an audience outside of Japan for these games. Maybe someone will take a chance on localizing Mushihimesama.

Tain

This is what I've been using since Christmas: ASUS PA238Q

Comes with a stand that lets the monitor rotate and pivot, has DVI, HDMI, VGA, and DP ports, has nice image quality, and most importantly, it only has around half a frame of input lag, so it's one of the best HD displays for games that require precise timing (shooters, fighting games, rhythm, etc.).

I have the VH236H, and it definitely does have slight viewing angle issues when rotated vertically. I have to be a little bit to the side of the monitor to minimize brightness differences on the left side of the screen.

I take it you don't run into anything like that with that monitor?

I have the VH236H, and it definitely does have slight viewing angle issues when rotated vertically. I have to be a little bit to the side of the monitor to minimize brightness differences on the left side of the screen.

I take it you don't run into anything like that with that monitor?

The brightness can look a little uneven at the top of the screen when rotated (depending on the tilt), but the playing field looks perfectly fine to me.

danmaku

They're really going crazy with iOS games... but at least they're making an arcade game as well. I just don't understand why they seem so eager to jump on new consoles. It's not like their games need extra power, so what's the point? Maybe they mean portable consoles/iOS? I hope not.

Ra1den

They're really going crazy with iOS games... but at least they're making an arcade game as well. I just don't understand why they seem so eager to jump on new consoles. It's not like their games need extra power, so what's the point? Maybe they mean portable consoles/iOS? I hope not.

Yeah I've been wondering this, it doesn't make much sense for Cave to be hankering after cutting edge hardware. I fear the portable market may be what they are gunning after. Glad I could easily spend the rest of my gaming days playing Daifukkatsu and never get bored.

jlevel13

They're really going crazy with iOS games...

I'm guessing the amount of work required for these mobile ports is pretty minimal, to the point where it's almost like free money.

I just don't understand why they seem so eager to jump on new consoles. It's not like their games need extra power, so what's the point?

I think it's good that they're trying to keep their library of classics available on as many platforms as possible. Maybe the point is they kind of regret going exclusively with the 360 for so long and feel like they can do a lot more next gen.

japtor

I'm guessing the amount of work required for these mobile ports is pretty minimal, to the point where it's almost like free money.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/165181/GDC_2012_Dont_underprice_your_mobile_product__Cave_COO.php
Watanabe said that in Cave's experience, smartphone-tailored games cost around $250,000 to make. Forty percent of that goes towards engineering, 30 percent to graphics, 15 percent for localization and QA and 15 percent to audio and sound design, he said.
Wonder if he was talking about new games (just Bug Panic and DDP Maximum?) or ports as well, seems like a lot of the art/sound asset work would at least already exist in that case. Guess there's the Espgaluda II, DDPDFK, and Deathsmiles smartphone modes too.

Otherwise there's a shitload of new iOS (and Android) devices sold every day, pretty reasonable to target mobile devices just cause the size of the userbase. Wish they'd take that iOS code and port to OS X (with digital controls) one of these days, I'm sure they'd sell...a few copies.

Just played Guwange. I downloaded it a couple of months ago, but the arcade-mode (only one I tried back then) was so hard, that I let it rest for a while. Now I played arrange xbox 360 and it was great! A lot easier and the chaining was very enjoyable. The level design, music and art are pleasant as well.
The crontrols seem a bit unreliable though. Especially when I try to steer through some heavier bullet patterns, dodging quickly back and forth, the character makes forced moves to the side, usually left. Is this really intended?

Also: Mushihime-sama Futari arrived today, yay!

SOME-MIST

keep in mind, that guwange is unlike any other cave release. Not only do you have to watch your hitbox and control your shikigami, but you have to maneuver through the terrain as well. You're limited to the obstacles/walls on the playing field.

I would guess that you're forced left in an area where the playing field shifts left.

Yes, I've noticed the significance of the ground you have to walk on. On steps, for example, it feels like the "problem" I described in my previous post. But it appears mainly randomly durring boss battes, where should be no steps or other things that affect moving. Or I didn't really notice. I think I will try to pay more attention whether the environment is causing it or something else, when I play the next time.

danmaku

If your character keeps moving to the left maybe your left analog is broken. In arcade mode when the shikigami is out you can only move your character left and right, but in 360 arrange you should be able to move freely (unless something is blocking you).

Top Bottom