• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Kwixotik

Somebody hit me with that good doom. Bonus points for the blackened variety. Extra bonus for vocals that are not clean and are mixed low or unobnoxious.

For some reason I have trouble finding doom bands with vocals I like.

e_i

Wintersun's Indiegogo campaign

There's only one pledge. 50 euros. They need a $150,000 euros. I thought they need a million. It looks like a ton of shit of the 50 euros. Remastered versions of Wintersun and Time I, Live album, and acoustic album too,

Edit: The Forest album is coming in July.

Wintersun's Indiegogo campaign

There's only one pledge. 50 euros. They need a $150,000 euros. I thought they need a million. It looks like a ton of shit of the 50 euros. Remastered versions of Wintersun and Time I, Live album, and acoustic album too,

Edit: The Forest album is coming in July.

Ugh. I fucking love this band but I don't care about the remastered albums or the album without vocals. (The acoustic thing is just one song btw.)

50 euros is just too much to ask for an album. I would have happily paid 20-30 for the new album + the live tracks to support them. Why there aren't tiers is beyond me...

Somebody hit me with that good doom. Bonus points for the blackened variety. Extra bonus for vocals that are not clean and are mixed low or unobnoxious.

Apologies if these are super obvious recs. I'm not the biggest fan of doom, the bands I like are generally on the sludgey punk side of things vs. Sabbath/70's/etc

Conan (check out Horseback Battle Hammer album if you want that extra crush though)

Primitive Man

Dopethrone

Seven Sisters Of Sleep

Salome

e_i

Ugh. I fucking love this band but I don't care about the remastered albums or the album without vocals. (The acoustic thing is just one song btw.)

50 euros is just too much to ask for an album. I would have happily paid 20-30 for the new album + the live tracks to support them. Why there aren't tiers is beyond me...

It looks like it is getting the physical release from Nuclear Blast:

YOU WILL GET A DOWNLOAD LINK FOR THE FOREST PACKAGE from us via email the same day Nuclear Blast releases the physical version of 'The Forest Seasons' album. The album and all the content in the FOREST PACKAGE is 100% done. The release date is estimated for July 2017 due to Nuclear Blast's release schedule and Nuclear Blast will confirm the exact date later.

It looks like it is getting the physical release from Nuclear Blast:

Thanks, guess that's what I'll probably do. I'd rather support the band directly, and I'm sure it was hard to negotiate simultaneous crowdfunding and a label release for the same product, but yeah...just too steep for me.

Doomshine

Yeah, a 25€ tier would've been the sweet spot for me, some of the stuff you get is just not of much value to me like the instrumentals and isolated tracks. It looks like they're doing well so far though so I think they'll be ok.

Did the "Shut up and take my money" thing for Wintersun. I would LOVE remastered versions of their first two albums, mostly just to have them :p

I'm worried about the need to do multiple crowd funding campaigns though. I'm a fanboy, but that shit has limits.

Plus, it's not like they need some major fucking space as a studio. I know of smaller bands that have their own studios built in like garages and shit. They put out quality music. George Barnett records vocals in his fucking car sometimes.

This is more want than need, which feels lame.

DISMA_Graveless_EP_Cover.jpg

Disma (NJ) - The Graveless Remains

preview of the new Disma EP. Two tracks and releasing later this month. Totally crushing, primitive OSDM.

ShaneB

I'm not paying 70 bucks for all that junk. Give me a tier to just get digital downloads. Would be nice to get the remasters.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
People really like their music? And not sure how it's pathetic, seems more impressive considering how fast they're going to reach the goal. Though I don't prefer crowdfunding. Between games and music I think I've only backed one thing.

Ixion

I contributed.

I like their music, the band needs help, and the package seems worth it to me. I try to get music at the highest quality possible, so the remasters were...music to my ears!

Valtýr

Been following Wintersun since their debut and it sounds like Jari is just a obsessive perfectionist and since their albums are so fucking dense, they just take forever to make. I remember reading about his issues with the studio so it's cool to see them break out of that.

I'll probably go in on the campaign a little later this month. I wanna see how over the goal they can go first.

The little snips of the album in the Youtube video sound incredible already so I'm sure it'll be a great album.

Quikies83

Blackened Doom is my shit.

Mizmor
Krypts
Batushka

Mizmor is the cream of the crop

Quikies83

You always seemed baffled that people like different music than you.
I also noticed this.. it's pretty jarring.
Really brings the metal community down a notch from the perspective of new metalheads entering the thread.
Someone comes in and says they like Disturbed... Oh shit... Now we have a 3 hour argument on whether Nu-Metal is metal or not.
Pretty ridiculous

e_i

And Wintersun blows right through the 150,000 euro mark. I wonder if they more, they say fuck it to the rest of the campaigns and use the money they make from this one instead.

Body_Hammer

Neo Member
I couldn't give a squirt of piss about Wintersun but following this crowdfunding thing has been interesting. I wonder how the Nuclear Blast execs are feeling right now.

Bitanator

Just can't seem to get into.

So far it seems like a continuation from their second album, which is great, but I really wanted them to follow the path they set with the 3rd and 4th album.

I'm the complete opposite, their third album did nothing really impressive to advance from their previous efforts, and their fourth was a boring pile of shit to me. Hell, some of their more creative pieces came from the first album with stuff like Beneath the Waves. Add some more progressive elements to their music, venture a bit more into some death/thrash and they can create some appealing music, they have been boring studio wise since their second release, live they still have it though, just need to capture energy

I contributed.

I like their music, the band needs help, and the package seems worth it to me. I try to get music at the highest quality possible, so the remasters were...music to my ears!
I'm almost more hyped for Time 1.5 than the new stuff :p

Very, very happy for the band. I hope this thing hits like 300k before the month is out. Jari's a perfectionist with his head up his ass, but the music is worth it and I'll throw money at him until the world ends.

Kwixotik

Thergothon - Stream From The Heavens

Not all doom, but their slow songs are fucking great.
Swallowed - Lunarterial
Thergothon was pretty cool, thanks.

Apologies if these are super obvious recs. I'm not the biggest fan of doom, the bands I like are generally on the sludgey punk side of things vs. Sabbath/70's/etc

Conan (check out Horseback Battle Hammer album if you want that extra crush though)

Primitive Man

Dopethrone

Seven Sisters Of Sleep

Salome
I dug all of these except I wasn't much into Primitive Man. SSOS was especially dope.

Blackened Doom is my shit.

Mizmor
Krypts
Batushka

Mizmor is the cream of the crop

Woah, Mizmor is fucking nuts. I love it. Haven't checked out the others yet.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
People really like their music? And not sure how it's pathetic, seems more impressive considering how fast they're going to reach the goal. Though I don't prefer crowdfunding. Between games and music I think I've only backed one thing.
After all the shit Jari pulled? Yeah, their fans continue to baffle me.

You always seemed baffled that people like different music than you.
More like I'm baffled that a band so utterly generic and bland gets so much adoration to the point that people put up with an extremely douchey, whiny drama queen of a frontman who takes forever to release said generic albums and even throw money at him. It's just an utterly bizarre phenomenon.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?

More like I'm baffled that a band so utterly generic and bland gets so much adoration to the point that people put up with an extremely douchey, whiny drama queen of a frontman who takes forever to release said generic albums and even throw money at him. It's just an utterly bizarre phenomenon.

But that's subjective. Their fans don't think they're generic and bland and they want more music. And a large portion probably don't know what Jari has done or don't care and just want more Wintersun.

I stopped following them a long ass time ago well before Time I came out so I don't know of what he's pulled recently, I just recall reading their forums and him saying his computer couldn't handle the amount of tracks each song had. Then shit got damaged in a flood or something. I honestly don't care and I never even bothered to listen to Time I despite really enjoying the first album.

ShaneB

I like Wintersun. I am excited for new music from them. Other people share this idea.

Is this not a concept you understand? You even had to go in the nerdy metal thread and spout shit. Who cares if someone likes Amon Amarth and thinks Behemoth is shit?

My opinion is different than yours. I think the bands you like are shit. I am baffled how you like them. Do you care to know that? Probably not.

The world goes on.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Thoughts on the new Power Trip album?

It's fucking awesome. Just listened to it yesterday. Never really listened to them before but goddamn the new album is heavy as fuck with some amazing riffage. Was absolutely blasting it on the way home from work

Calderc

I like Wintersun. I am excited for new music from them. Other people share this idea.

Is this not a concept you understand? You even had to go in the nerdy metal thread and spout shit. Who cares if someone likes Amon Amarth and thinks Behemoth is shit?

My opinion is different than yours. I think the bands you like are shit. I am baffled how you like them. Do you care to know that? Probably not.

The world goes on.

Watch out, The Metal Arbiter will be coming for you!

Bitanator

All you Power Trip newcomers, they have a ton of energy live, I think this new album is going to shine much better on stage

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
New Kreator is pretty good.
New Power Trip is fucking awesome.
New King Woman is fucking awesome.
And the new Pallbearer will be AotY material I GUESS

Great year so far.

Pegasos123

As someone how likes bands likes and doesnt like excessive shouting :

-AElement (dnb/rock genre mix)
-Disturbed
-Eisbrecher
-Five Finger Death Punch
-Korn
-Limp Bizkit
-Of Mice & Men (newer Stuff)
-POD
-Rise Against
-Sevendust
-Skindred
-System of a Down

What bands would you recommend me?

As someone how likes bands likes and doesnt like excessive shouting :

-AElement (dnb/rock genre mix)
-Disturbed
-Eisbrecher
-Five Finger Death Punch
-Korn
-Limp Bizkit
-Of Mice & Men (newer Stuff)
-POD
-Rise Against
-Sevendust
-Skindred
-System of a Down

What bands would you recommend me?

Mudvayne? I don't think you'll find any fans of the music you are into, sorry.

I saw Lacuna Coil play with POD (not really because I left after Lacuna Coil) back in the day. Maybe start from their and use that as a gateway into heavier and darker stuff like I did?

Top Bottom