• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

ShaneB

Loving the new Battle Beast album. Rockin' stuff.

Also, surprised this wasn't posted. Wintersun news.. I had no idea about this. I guess this is out on March 1st.

ABOUT THE FOREST SEASONS ALBUM
This album is more primitive and organic than I normally like to do, but still modern, melodic, epic, bombastic yet also dark and dare I say even shocking and we love it! It is new and different, ´cause I don´t like doing the same thing over and over, but it's still very much a Wintersun album - although Wintersun can be anything, even techno/trance/pop... There are no limits with the music of Wintersun!

It is a longer album than TIME I running over 53 minutes and for once I´m 100% happy with the sounds and the production. The sound fits PERFECTLY for this album! This album actually sounds great in every sound system / speakers / headphones I've listened to it! If you are a Wintersun fan you won´t be disappointed! It has everything you would expect from a Wintersun album, that we can promise you! And if you're not a fan, you might like it anyway, because it has lot of variety and new dimensions to our sound and style.

'The Forest Seasons' album was something that I could do with my current resources, but it doesn't take anything away how great the album is. Because it is killer! And music isn't measured in money. Album costing hundred bucks or a million bucks can be equally good albums. (But the unfortunate thing is that certain albums can only be done with higher end production and then again some albums would sound like shit with a big budget production and vice versa, some albums would sound like shit with low budget production and some albums would sound killer with low budget production!)
The album has four epic and monumental songs, all very different, but still merging together perfectly like the season changes. Two of the songs, 'Awaken From The Dark Slumber (Spring)' and 'Eternal Darkness (Autumn)' are multipart songs like 'Starchild' and 'Sons of Winter and Stars'.

AWAKEN FROM THE DARK SLUMBER (SPRING)
'Awaken From The Dark Slumber (Spring)' is the starting track. It's a very energetic song illustrating the awakening of nature and it will build up to a big climax! (This song has this album's "killer riff"... forest style!)

THE FOREST THAT WEEPS (SUMMER)
'The Forest That Weeps (Summer)' is the summer song. It's atmospheric, melodic and rockin'! It's also enhanced with big choirs celebrating the end of summer, before the autumn darkness takes over.

ETERNAL DARKNESS (AUTUMN)
'Eternal Darkness (Autumn)' is the darkest Wintersun track to date! It paints a dark mood illustrating the Finnish autumn, when you hardly see any sun at all. But ultimately the song is about death... with a twist that some of the parts are written from death's point of view and how IT sees life... as a mistake in the universe. It's an epic and long four part song describing four phases of dying.

LONELINESS (WINTER)
I'm really proud of all the songs, but especially the last song called 'Loneliness (Winter)' is what I´m really proud of. I really hit it out of the ballpark with this one, even if I do say so myself. It's little like 'Silver Leaves' (on TIME II), but more sorrowful and darker song with really cold winterish vibe where as 'Silver Leaves' is more beautiful, oriental, atmospheric.
I really think that this is my first PERFECT ALBUM I've ever done. It all came together just right!

We sincerely hope you will support us by getting the new album from INDIEGOGO on March 1st, included in our crowdfunding package, the FOREST PACKAGE. This will help us to reach our goal which is to build the Wintersun Headquarters studio, completing TIME II once and for all and start making our future albums!
Thank you!
Jari & the Wintersun boys

Mithras just posted on facebook and it looks like Leon is already getting back to working on new material! Let's hope the next album won't take 9 years! And if you've never head of Mithras they're basically Morbid Angel in space.

Also it's like two years old at this point but I just gotta say the Crypt Sermon debut album is one of the best epic doom metal albums I've ever heard. It's up there with classic era Candlemass. I can't stop listening to it.

Speaking of Wintersun, Aether Realm is apparently finished with their second album (which they crowdfunded last year). Here's a sample of a new song.

This is pretty good!

e_i

I don't understand about the Wintersun album. Will we get it on the 1st if we pledge, or is it coming at a later date?

ShaneB

I need some new stuff, don't care what subgenre or how old it is as long as it's not just, entirely noise (SunO))) ) hit me with your best stuff.

Both Skull Fist albums are awesome. Enforcer - From Beyond or Death By Fire, Striker - any album I guess, Holy Grail - Crisis in Utopia, Cauldron - Chained to the Nite, Ambush - Desecrator, White Wizzard - Over the Top, Scanner - The Judgement, Crystal Eyes - Killer, Megahera - Metal Maniac Attack, Monument - Hair of the Dog or Renegades. edit: new Battle Beast album is out tomorrow, guess you can check them out as well.

Fuck it, that's enough for now. For something not metal but pretty much metal, just listen to Dance with the Dead - B-sides Vol 1.

Here's a bunch of stuff you can check out! You're pumped to see Maiden, so I'll tell you to check out those Monument albums first I suppose.

Speaking of Wintersun, Aether Realm is apparently finished with their second album (which they crowdfunded last year). Here's a sample of a new song.

Yeah, diggin this, listening to their first album and enjoying it. Name is familiar, so I'm sure I had seen this before, but apparently not. Maybe I just saw them in the "Related Artists" list of some other band on Google Play.

I don't understand about the Wintersun album. Will we get it on the 1st if we pledge, or is it coming at a later date?

Think I jumped the gun with that March 1st "release" date, it all seems cryptic though. Just bizarre.

e_i

Would be awesome to have new Wintersun and the Nintendo Swtich and Zelda in the same week.

Edit: And Torment too.

Picked up tickets to Maiden/Saturday Metallica/Sunday shows in Toronto yesterday, I've never seen metallica in concert so I'm not sure what to expect from them, but Maiden puts on a great show.

Picked up tickets to Maiden/Saturday Metallica/Sunday shows in Toronto yesterday, I've never seen metallica in concert so I'm not sure what to expect from them, but Maiden puts on a great show.

They're both excellent, say metallica again the other Friday when James was ill and they were still brilliant and maiden are always top draw too.

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone! Will get to them all and post my impressions sometime later today.

And honestly I'm ready to throw down $200+ to see Metallica on Sunday. But I fear that won't be enough by the time I can afford that.

Tankard

This week comes the new Power Trip and Crystal Fairy albums.

6358502599359653641088346799_funny.gif

Sanguine Eagle (NY)-Oppression (QC) - split

this is an incredibly odd pairing for a split, and with all due respect to Oppression who play solid, weirdo idiosyncratic Québécois black metal/punk, this post is a love letter to the guys in Sanguine Eagle for what they have laid out on this release. Their demo I thought was amazing. A raw beast of BlazeBirth Hall worship, which is pretty unheard of in black metal right now, much less American black metal. That release may have been a sonic challenge for some, but with this release no one can say that it's too underproduced to be appreciated. It's totally smothering but with great analog-ish warmth and no harsh mids or highs. As for the music, a 15 minute black metal song? What a bunch of assholes, right? Well, no. There is no post-rock to be found here, and no pure ambient/synth stuff except for the closing minutes. The furious tempo basically never changes. I know some people aren't about lots of repetition, but when you have a tasteful arrangement and simple but effective melody such as this, it's mesmerizing stuff. It's powerful and dramatic black fucking metal but without the extra cheese that I'm just fine without. Again this is what I feel is the sole responsibility of Will Skarstad (Yellow Eyes, Ustalost). I will always gush about this dude's ability to write true black metal so long as he delivers. The debut LP from these guys is sure to be massive.

Ravager61

Sanguine Eagle (NY)-Oppression (QC) - split

this is an incredibly odd pairing for a split, and with all due respect to Oppression who play solid, weirdo idiosyncratic Québécois black metal/punk, this post is a love letter to the guys in Sanguine Eagle for what they have laid out on this release. Their demo I thought was amazing. A raw beast of BlazeBirth Hall worship, which is pretty unheard of in black metal right now, much less American black metal. That release may have been a sonic challenge for some, but with this release no one can say that it's too underproduced to be appreciated. It's totally smothering but with great analog-ish warmth and no harsh mids or highs. As for the music, a 15 minute black metal song? What a bunch of assholes, right? Well, no. There is no post-rock to be found here, and no pure ambient/synth stuff except for the closing minutes. The furious tempo basically never changes. I know some people aren't about lots of repetition, but when you have a tasteful arrangement and simple but effective melody such as this, it's mesmerizing stuff. It's powerful and dramatic black fucking metal but without the extra cheese that I'm just fine without. Again this is what I feel is the sole responsibility of Will Skarstad (Yellow Eyes, Ustalost). I will always gush about this dude's ability to write true black metal so long as he delivers. The debut LP from these guys is sure to be massive.

That Sanguine Eagle song is so good. Damn. The demo blew me away when I really wasn't expecting a whole lot. One of my favorite recent BM releases that I can remember. You describe the appeal perfectly. Cannot wait for what they do next.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Full of Hell are finally putting out a new LP, May 5th. They've evolved a lot since the last one; can't wait to hear it.

Full of Hell are finally putting out a new LP, May 5th. They've evolved a lot since the last one; can't wait to hear it.
I'm really looking forward to it. They're my favorite live band but I haven't really loved anything they've recorded. The Merzbow album is good, the free EP and the Nails split were good

They just need to nail how they sound live, which I'm hoping God City can give them. Though I do worry that he'll make them sound too much like everything else he produces

I also really don't like the album art they went with, looks a bit too edgelord for my taste but whatever. Nails split artwork was perfection, sucks it was spent on such a short release

I really dug the Discordance Axis vibes of the Nails split, hope to see more of that here. Pure blast chaos

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'm really looking forward to it. They're my favorite live band but I haven't really loved anything they've recorded. The Merzbow album is good, the free EP and the Nails split were good
Yeah, I never really listen to the first couple records, but I like the Merzbow collab a lot and the other stuff they've done since. I'd love some sort of singles compilation eventually.

e_i

Want the new Wintersun album (not Time II) on Spotify, or any other digital streaming service? It's not going to happen:

From their Facebook page:
WINTERSUN'S NEW ALBUM WON'T BE ON SPOTIFY
The Forest Seasons album won't be on Spotify or any other streaming services. At least not for a year of its release date. If you want the new album you can pre-order it directly from us via INDIEGOGO and enjoy the true highest quality experience, which you will not get from anywhere else! And by supporting us you'll help us to deliver our future albums faster to you guys!
Wintersun needs a massive change in order to survive and to make our planned future albums a reality as fast as possible, with the best production and with our true vision! We really need your help now more than ever!
We think Spotify is nice for the consumer, but unfortunately not so much for the artist. We also want our fans to experience the new album with the highest quality possible that Spotify does not offer. If we succeed really well with our crowdfunding, we might put it on Spotify sooner. But first we'll have to see how the crowdfunding goes...
Thanks for understanding guys!
The crowdfunding will launch on March 1st, so be ready!

Regiruler

Wintersun is prog, right? The name sounds vaguely familiar.

I don't use spotify so I don't particularly care if a band doesn't release on their. Just make sure you're on amazon mp3 and we're golden (although Galneryus can't even get that right...)

RDreamer

I don't use spotify so I don't particularly care if a band doesn't release on their. Just make sure you're on amazon mp3 and we're golden (although Galneryus can't even get that right...)

More power metal than prog.

I'd say more melodic death metal. Time I has a lot of symphony to it, so symphonic death metal?

Nice. I also have never been to a Metallica show, so I figured I should. Concert isn't until August though. And I ended way in the back because I didn't want to spend a lot of money. Oh well. Now I just need to find someone to go with.

Top Bottom