• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

jviggy43

Speaking of the contortionist, wasn't super high on the new cd despite really enjoying language. Have to give it another go but to me it felt like something tetrafusion has already done.

Gray Matter

I saw the BTBAM Colors tour last night. I'm not a huge fan but I like that album a lot. It was an awesome show; the crowd was nuts, and they lost their shit at that silly bluegrass part.

The opening bands were fucking awful though. Polyphia was like watching some Berklee student performance; just kids wanking on their instruments without any thought put into songwriting. And The Contortionist is like Dredg with occasional "metal" parts. Yikes.

Ha, agreed 100% about the opening bands, not the best line up. I could deal with the contortionist, but the other two were awful.

As for BTBAM, their set was awesome, but the crowd was unbearable, literally no space to even stand which made the experience worse. Still, I got to see one of my favorite albums in full, that’s a win in my book.

e_i

Perihelion Ship. I don't care how good your new album is, it's not worth 999 euros.
Someone forgot a decimal point.

I was going to pre-order the Eaten Alive album but I think they had a similar issue. Or it's a joke or some kind of statement.

fwyAUqn.png

https://eatenalivehc.bandcamp.com/album/masterpiece-of-ignorance

Giving the new Wolves in the Throne room album a listen and damn, this is pretty much what I want out of black metal. It's pretty gorgeous and wonderful background music to kinda vibe/write/edit to.

RDreamer

I enjoyed the Wolves in the Throne Room enough. Nothing mind-blowing though. They only ever really impressed me with Diadem of 12 Stars.

I enjoyed the Wolves in the Throne Room enough. Nothing mind-blowing though. They only ever really impressed me with Diadem of 12 Stars.
Naw, not mind blowing. But it's good. I doubt I'll pick it up since there are other black metal bands I like more that fill this niche, but I'm glad I'm giving this a listen.

oldboss

way late but this release is fucking great, cheers. An album I had always seen mentioned in passing but never took the time to check out. Interestingly, in a Yellow Eyes thread I started over at NWN, someone had noted that they heard a little bit of Kvist in Yellow Eyes' sound and I'm inclined to agree. The riffing styles are very similar. Very cool parallel.

Fleurety (NOR) - Min tid skal komme

felt like recommending this album. A mid 90's masterpiece of avant-garde black metal, and that's all I really have to say about it.

Thanks! I know what I'll be doing tomorrow!

I'm kind of surprised that the new Ajattara is really, really good. I kind of let that ship sail 7 or so years ago for whatever reason, I always thought of them as one of my favorite bands. Didn't even care that Lupaus was out.

That was pretty dumb. Why was I so surprised, I don't even remember disliking anything they've done to the point that I thought it was over. Vox aren't the same, which is a shame because he was the best in the business, but it's alright.

Anyways, "Suru" is up there with their best stuff, and one of the tracks of the year. It has moments of that signature Ajattara malevolent, oppressive heaviness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKqlWQfrHeE

https://ajattara-finland.bandcamp.com/album/lupaus

Quikies83

I just realized that Bell Witch is just two guys, a bassist and drummer.

Yup. They've always been just a duo. They sadly lost their original screamer/drummer last year :(
New guy is fantastic though.
Can't wait to see them live in a couple months.

First Fragment finally released their music video and boy howdy is it awesome. Their debut album is a modern masterpiece of neoclassical tech-death madness and everytime I listen to it i discover a new layer of complexity. Great stuff!

Also as a bassist I gotta appreciate the fretless bass being right up front in the mix.

Also it took em long enough but 7 H. Target are back! Absolutely sick as per usual.
Better than I expected, though the drumming is totally more standard brutal death

Sounds good but the old dude really made their sound. Almost reminds me of modern Wormed in that sense. It's still really good but the rawness and weirdness isn't quite there

Yeah they tried recreating that airy Videodrome bit from Psy Slam Damage near the end but it ends up sounding closer to something like Fear Factory

Discovered a band called Twilight today. Seems to be pretty melodic black metal-isch thing that also seems to mix in some sludge elements imo. Shit's pretty rad, and i saw some song (that was dope) being hated on by "truekvlt" nerds. All the more reason to like it.

8.000 years https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgIPkp0irsU
Lungs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxmM5H8iXEk
Seek no shelter fevered ones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLjoI15YOms
convulsions in wells of fever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3IgWtURpS0

First Fragment finally released their music video and boy howdy is it awesome. Their debut album is a modern masterpiece of neoclassical tech-death madness and everytime I listen to it i discover a new layer of complexity. Great stuff!

Also as a bassist I gotta appreciate the fretless bass being right up front in the mix.

hot damn that's fucking dope

Looking for some recommendations.

Been listening to Leprosy by Death a whole lot recently. Amazing that a 29 year old album can still kick so much ass! It got me wondering if there's anyone playing this kind of thing at the moment.

The sort of sound heard on tracks like Born Dead or Pull the Plug, you know?

I can think of other old bands who experimented with death/thrash vibes, but I'd like to hear a modern take on it.

Thanks!

Looking for some recommendations.

Been listening to Leprosy by Death a whole lot recently. Amazing that a 29 year old album can still kick so much ass! It got me wondering if there's anyone playing this kind of thing at the moment.

The sort of sound heard on tracks like Born Dead or Pull the Plug, you know?

I can think of other old bands who experimented with death/thrash vibes, but I'd like to hear a modern take on it.

Thanks!

Gruesome is a love letter to Death - Leprosy era death metal, complete with Ed Repka artwork.
Gruesome - Savage Land

Skeletal Remains is old school inspired to the tune of Malevolent Creation, Pestilence, Obituary.
Skeletal Remains - Condemned To Misery

War Master is a heavy slab of old school Bolt Thrower meets Ashpyx.
War Master - Blood Dawn

Rude is a Bay Area old school death metal worship of bands like Morbid Angel, Autopsy, and Pestilence. Complete with death metal artwork of Dan Seagrave.
Rude - Remnants...

Gruesome is a love letter to Death - Leprosy era death metal, complete with Ed Repka artwork.
Gruesome - Savage Land

Skeletal Remains is old school inspired to the tune of Malevolent Creation, Pestilence, Obituary.
Skeletal Remains - Condemned To Misery

War Master is a heavy slab of old school Bolt Thrower meets Ashpyx.
War Master - Blood Dawn

Rude is a Bay Area old school death metal worship of bands like Morbid Angel, Autopsy, and Pestilence. Complete with death metal artwork of Dan Seagrave.
Rude - Remnants...
Going to give them a proper listen, but initial impressions are good.
Thanks again!

Reminds me that I really need to look into to more Bolt Thrower.

jviggy43

Pretty positive that's beyond creation's old bassist (which makes me sad because I like BC far more than FF, although Dasein wins points for the being and time reference).

SOME-MIST

from their facebook

the 7th Krallice album is complete. titled “Loüm”. featuring Dave Edwardson on lead vocals and lead lyrics for the entirety of the album. cover art is being handled by Carl Auge. digital will be released in about 2 weeks, give or take, with preorders for CDs, LPs and shirts.

the 8th Krallice album is also complete and will be available for preorder at the same time. digital will be released a month or so after that. CDs will be handled by Hathenter. LPs will be handled by Gilead Media. available shortly at krallice.bandcamp.com
no teasers, no advance tracks, no lyric videos

---
kinda cool they got Dave Edwardson from Neurosis on board

bebop242

New The Black Dahlia Murder is out and it's pretty good, back with them short catchy songs i love so much.

Yep good stuff.

New Primitive Man is fucking bleak, crushing darkness... Loving it.

This sucked me in after 10 seconds. Love it.

August Burns Red album just dropped today. It is insanely good.

Listening to this now and its great. Prob the best of the bunch for me.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I was in this metal funk where I've been listening to the same shit as always and not trying anything new. Ended up coming across Artificial Brain on YouTube related videos list...Holy shit they're amazing. Been listening to both of their albums on repeat. Any recommendations for similar bands?

I was in this metal funk where I've been listening to the same shit as always and not trying anything new. Ended up coming across Artificial Brain on YouTube related videos list...Holy shit they're amazing. Been listening to both of their albums on repeat. Any recommendations for similar bands?
Closest thing I got is Beyond Creation, but that's like two steps down in terms of brutality. Maybe try Fallujah but that's even more melodic iirc.

I'm very sure there are plenty of similar tech-death bands, I just don't know them.

Top Bottom