• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT|

Ixion

So back in the day here, about 5-6 years ago, I used to do mini-reviews of the metal albums I was listening to for the first time. Figured it would be cool to start doing that again. Just like back then, I'll just write two or three sentences about each album, keeping it simple and straight-up. I'll start with the latest batch of albums that are still fresh in my mind...

R-10570031-1500354979-6361.jpeg.jpg

Artist: fluoride
Album: fluoride
Year: 2017
Genre: Grindcore, Powerviolence, Sludge Metal
Rating: 3.5/5
Comments: A solid mix of fast, punishing riffs along with big, slow sludge, often quickly alternating between the two. And in typical Grindcore fashion, the album goes by quick at 15 minutes. The riffage could be made more memorable on future releases though (and apparently these guys just put out a highly acclaimed sophomore album that I haven't yet heard).

R-2315842-1276408018.jpeg.jpg

Artist: Quiet Riot
Album: Metal Health
Year: 1983
Genre: Heavy Metal, Glam Metal
Comments: Of course I've heard the hits from this album my whole life (ex: "Cum On Feel The Noize"), but I finally got around to listening to the full album. I was impressed how most of the album is filled with some very fun, catchy stuff. Nothing that will blow your mind, but it does its job quite well.

R-13291136-1551492758-3146.jpeg.jpg

Artist: Sleepkillers
Album: Sleepkillers
Year: 2019
Genre: Alternative Metal
Rating: 3/5
Comments: A new supergroup from members of Limp Bizkit, Saliva, and Puddle of Mudd. This is a pretty standard and perhaps above-average Alt-Metal album, which to be honest is kind of refreshing these days since we don't get too much of this sound anymore. With that said, a lot of choruses are whipped out, but too many of them just aren't catchy. However, some of them are, which makes for some satisfying songs. And that's pretty much that.

R-419780-1341189536-3729.jpeg.jpg

Artist: Tragedy
Album: Vengeance
Year: 2002
Genre: Crust Punk, D-Beat
Rating: 4/5
Comments: Similar to fluoride above, this is an album that provides both fast riffage along with big, monolithic moments, but this band does it better. If that's the kind of sound you dig, then definitely check out both this album and their previous debut album.

R-1158150-1196877041.jpeg.jpg

Artist: Jerry Cantrell
Album: Degradation Trip
Year: 2002
Genre: Alternative Metal, Post-Grunge
Rating: 4/5
Comments: From the main songwriter/guitar player/co-vocalist of Alice Chains, this album basically sounds like a modern Alice In Chains album, but with a bit more grit. If you're an Alice In Chains fan and you haven't heard this, then definitely check it out. You'll feel right at home.

R-8993429-1472923884-5965.jpeg.jpg

Artist: Gandalf The Green
Album: King of the Ashes
Genre: Stoner Metal, Doom Metal
Comments: A solid, well-done Stoner Doom album. However, there's nothing too special here and musically there's nothing actually related to LOTR/Tolkien from what I recall to really solidify its niche. If they included some samples from the movies (the classic cartoon movies or the Peter Jackson movies), that would have bumped this up for me. But still, it's worth a listen.

R-13539112-1556127994-9829.jpeg.jpg

Artist: Smoulder
Album: Times of Obscene Evil and Wild Daring
Year: 2019
Genre: Heavy Metal, Doom Metal
Comments: This a debut Epic Doom-style album with female vocals, so it sounds a bit unique. I felt some of the songs might have been a bit too drawn out, but there are also some very strong songs and overall it delivers.

R-10323031-1495312957-4950.jpeg.jpg

Artist: 3TEETH
Album: shutdown.exe
Genre: Industrial Metal, Electro-Industrial
Comments: Nothing ground-breaking here, but most of the songs provide a satisfying mix of electronic beats and deep, heavy metal riffs. If you're into both Metal and Electronic music (like me!) then you'll enjoy this.

Last edited:

MadYarpen

I think I discovered them on Spotify in the US. Surprising they aren’t on it in their home country (assuming your profile location is accurate)
I have them in my library and I am quite sure I have Poland as my location.

I havent been using spotify for very long, but since the beginning they are there...

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I have them in my library and I am quite sure I have Poland as my location.

I havent been using spotify for very long, but since the beginning they are there...
Batushka? I meant your earlier post about Mgla :messenger_beaming:

I like Batushka too. They need to come to the US.

Duellist

HearNAid behind the scenes from back in the 80's. I probably watch this at least once a year. Awesome hearing some of the classic voices and guitar players from back in the day and fuck me do some of those guitar solos rip. George lynch from Dokken is probably my favorite one. If you've never seen this watch it.

Last edited:

Duellist

Anybody listen to Savage Messiah? Heard about them but never really checked em out. New video from their new album demons which is out today. Sounds pretty good.

Top Bottom