• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT|

Ixion

Time for another fun batch of mini-reviews...

R-5741713-1401386075-8345.jpeg.jpg

Artist: Internal Rot / Manhunt
Album: Split 7
Year: 2014
Genre: Grindcore, Powerviolence
Rating: 3/5
Comments: A split album from two newer Grindcore bands. The second half from Manhunt simply provides better riffs than the Internal Rot half. I recommend the Manhunt side.

R-6669042-1424257969-4747.jpeg.jpg

Artist: Manhunt
Album: Manhunt
Year: 2015
Genre: Grindcore, Powerviolence
Rating: 4/5
Comments: After listening to the split album above I went ahead and listened to this debut release from Manhunt. As usual for Grindcore, it comes down to the riffs and this album does not disappoint.

R-13194819-1549730377-7815.jpeg.jpg

Artist: Green Lung
Album: Woodland Rites
Year: 2019
Genre: Doom Metal, Stoner Metal
Rating: 3.5/5
Comments: A debut release from a new Black Sabbath inspired Stoner Doom band that adds a bit of a woodland and psychedelic vibe, and some of the songs have some great hooks.

R-13630159-1557862792-9040.jpeg.jpg

Artist: Full Of Hell
Album: Weeping Choir
Genre: Deathgrind, Sludge Metal
Comments: Another solid mix of big, slow sludge and blistering grind, with this bringing more of that evil, twisting Death Metal whirlwind vibe for its grind side of things. The album is somewhat hit or miss in terms of memorable songs though.

R-2917859-1307229238.jpeg.jpg

Artist: Seth Ect
Album: Godspeak
Year: 2011
Genre: Cyber Metal, Groove Metal
Comments: This is the only album this band has put out. Their mix of Cyber and Groove is a cool sound, but only some of the songs realize the potential of that sound while the rest just isn't well-written enough to avoid sounding predictable.

R-9759798-1513160589-2888.jpeg.jpg

Artist: Ocean Grove
Album: The Rhapsody Tapes
Year: 2017
Genre: Nu Metal, Alternative Metal
Comments: This is also the only album this band has put out so far. There's good variety here between high-energy Alt Metal bangers, experimental electronic interludes, and more, but a bit too much of the album is too soft or unmemorable. But again, there are some great bangers here that make the album worth a listen.

R-6678328-1557866287-3044.jpeg.jpg

Artist: Torche
Album: Restarter
Year: 2015
Genre: Stoner Metal, Alternative Metal
Comments: Groovy Alt Metal with an uplifting and summery vibe. One one hand this has a bit of a heavier metal sound than Torche's previous albums, but the catchy songwriting takes a slight hit. With that said, there are some top-notch Torche songs here that shouldn't be missed. This band is meant to be jammed in your car on a sun drenched summer day.

R-13542281-1556197200-4936.jpeg.jpg

Artist: Paladin
Album: Ascension
Genre: Power Metal, Thrash Metal, Melodic Death Metal
Rating: 4.5/5
Comments: Wow. I generally can't get into Power Metal, but when bands like this add just enough edge to mix with the cheese (via incorporating Thrash and MeloDeath), the results are fun as hell. Basically every song on this album is a winner, with the first song being the only song I wasn't crazy about actually.

Last edited:
I dont know a more metal song than this. Its literally about selling your soul to the devil to be blessed with Heavy Metal Talent

Guys I just wanted to say how much I fucking love metal. I don’t care what other people think, I believe it’s the greatest most diverse music genre around. Listing to metal just fills me with so much energy, the speed, the raw POWER, and the amazing melodies that come with certain bands just feels me with so much joy.

Long live metal!

Outside of At the Gates, the first two Nightrage albums are my favourite Lindberg work. And Gus G is in there.

They kind of suck after.

Last edited:
One of the best intro songs to an album.

A band I stumbled across a few years ago.

I dont know a more metal song than this. Its literally about selling your soul to the devil to be blessed with Heavy Metal Talent

If you have a music editor or player that lets you change the pitch without affecting the tempo of a song, play Arch Enemy's version and lower the pitch about -20%. It's brutal.

Last edited:
I'm not one who wants to see this thread die, metal is one of the best music genres.

Don't know what it is about this track; I only understand half the words, but I keep finding myself coming back to it. Maybe because it sounds like Nevalra took a trip through Mexico and kept heading south into some tribal forests.

Last edited:
There could be a thread for every genre within metal but it's probably best just to have one. So why not post stuff from your favourite metal bands, whether it's Winger or Mayhem. Dio or Behemoth.

For me metal begins and ends with Slayer. My uncle is a big metal fan and he used to play stuff when he come round. I thought some of it was ok but nothing really clicked until one day he put Slayer on and it all made sense.

Motorhead was the first metal concert I went to when I was a kid and they've been a constant part of my record collection since. No Remorse, Orgasmatron, Ace Of Spades. You can't go wrong with them.

Steel Panther proper take the piss, but how can you not like a band who sing about glory holes and fat chicks?

Wow. Came in expecting tons of numetal (and goddamn, I wasnt wrong. Theres a few) but came away fucking impressed.

Gaf likes slayer, motorhead and king diamond?
FUCK yeah.

These days I'm more into instrumental mathcore shit but damnit if some good, old legit metal doesnt get me all worked up everytime. In my heart is where the metal lives.

Fake edit: annnnnnd as I write this, op gets banned lol.

Fly high on your rainbow in the dark, my soul brother.

lock2k

Banned
Wow. Came in expecting tons of numetal (and goddamn, I wasnt wrong. Theres a few) but came away fucking impressed.

FUCK yeah.

These days I'm more into instrumental mathcore shit but damnit if some good, old legit metal doesnt get me all worked up everytime. In my heart is where the metal lives.

:messenger_beaming: 🖕Nu-Metal is cool.

I like all kinds of metal from black to industrial and my least favorite is power metal. But I love Blind Guardian.

:messenger_beaming: 🖕Nu-Metal is cool.

I like all kinds of metal from black to industrial and my least favorite is power metal. But I love Blind Guardian.
Yeeeeeah. I used to listen to numetal like 20 years ago and now am utterly ashamed, everytime I listen to a band I used to like then. Cant comment on bling guardian (probably heard them but never noted the name) but if they're anything like the shitty numetal I used to listen to, the biggest sin against that genre and against metal as a whole is how bad the guitar ALWAYS is.
Just super simple, distorted crap my mom could play, no joke.
Having been in a few metal bands at this point myself, I personally cant stand the shit. Were talking gag in my mouth bad.

That said, it's all my personal opinion. Even if (and when) music is objectively bad, I have a hard time criticizing others tastes, just the music itself. Basically, if you like the tunes, then me and my opinion can go and fuck itself as far as you enjoying it goes.

On the OTHER other hand, I'm glad this thread wasnt JUST numetal....because I hate numetal lol.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned

FUCK yeah.

Here's some more metallic goodness:

lock2k

Banned
Yeeeeeah. I used to listen to numetal like 20 years ago and now am utterly ashamed, everytime I listen to a band. Cant comment on bling guardian (probably heard them but never noted the name) but if they're anything like the shitty numetal I used to listen to, the biggest sin against that genre and against metal as a whole is how bad the guitar ALWAYS is.
Just simply, distorted crap my mom could play, no joke.
Having been in a few metal bands at this point myself, I personally cant stand the shit. Were talking gag in my mouth bad.

That said, it's all my personal opinion. Even if (and when) music is objectively bad, I have a hard time criticizing others tastes, just the music itself. Basically, if you like the tunes, then me and my opinion can go and fuck itself as far as you enjoying it goes.

On the OTHER other hand, I'm glad this thread wasnt JUST numetal....because I hate numetal lol.
Blind Guardian is the finest german power metal. ;)

As for nu-metal I find it fun to play and listen to. I was already a metal and guitar veteran when it started. It has some great grooves and like it ir not it changed the metal landscape forever with downtuning becoming the norm. I see djent getting the same hate nowadays but I love it. lol

Blind Guardian is the finest german power metal. ;)

As for nu-metal I find it fun to play and listen to. I was already a metal and guitar veteran when it started. It has some great grooves and like it ir not it changed the metal landscape forever with downtuning becoming the norm. I see djent getting the same hate nowadays but I love it. lol
I guess this is all true.
God, I hate downtuners lol.
Oh well. Like I said, different strokes and whatnot.
I'm glad you got a chance to shred yourself at one point though. I look back on my music career and probably miss it more than any other thing I've ever enjoyed doing but god damn, I DONT miss being in bands with fucking lazy idiots lol.

I ended up going all solo at one point, recording myself, and got like 16 tracks done in 8 months. Thsts when I knew all the bandmates id ever had were wastes of space lol.

lock2k

Banned
I guess this is all true.
God, I hate downtuners lol.
Oh well. Like I said, different strokes and whatnot.
I'm glad you got a chance to shred yourself at one point though. I look back on my music career and probably miss it more than any other thing I've ever enjoyed doing but god damn, I DONT miss being in bands with fucking lazy idiots lol.

I ended up going all solo at one point, recording myself, and got like 16 tracks done in 8 months. Thsts when I knew all the bandmates id ever had were wastes of space lol.

It's almost impossible to find bands in standard tuning nowadays though. It became rare. I personally don't care. There are good music in all tunings. I play 6, 7 and 8 string guitars. It's all cool :)

Top Bottom