• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT|

It's almost impossible to find bands in standard tuning nowadays though. It became rare. I personally don't care. There are good music in all tunings. I play 6, 7 and 8 string guitars. It's all cool :)
Fucking 12 string bass guitars are the most fun lol. I get it man, I totally get it.

Fuck yes, thread resurrected... for now

How come I have only just discovered this guy a few minutes ago? Just looked at his video list and he covers all sorts of games. Had to click on a couple of Sonic ones and damn, I am not disappointed!

Last edited:

Duellist

Saw Death Angel last night. Fucking kick ass show
R4aHTgd.jpg

cxgXEqu.jpg

Last edited:

I_D

Love that album!

It is quite possibly the best metal album ever made; and I don't say that lightly.
In terms of quantity vs. quality, metal music is probably the top-contender for AAA songs. But even still, there aren't many out there who can compete with the quality of Opeth.

Scar Symmetry's "Holographic Universe," however, is god damned top-notch. The band's first three albums only have like two 'decent' songs, whereas the others are all bangers.
They never really got the fame they deserved. Per Nilsson's involvement with Meshuggah will hopefully garner him some more attention and respect, but the entire band really deserves more than they get; especially the drummer, Henrik Ohlsson.

For example...

Duellist

It is quite possibly the best metal album ever made; and I don't say that lightly.
In terms of quantity vs. quality, metal music is probably the top-contender for AAA songs. But even still, there aren't many out there who can compete with the quality of Opeth.

Scar Symmetry's "Holographic Universe," however, is god damned top-notch. The band's first three albums only have like two 'decent' songs, whereas the others are all bangers.
They never really got the fame they deserved. Per Nilsson's involvement with Meshuggah will hopefully garner him some more attention and respect, but the entire band really deserves more than they get; especially the drummer, Henrik Ohlsson.

For example...

I'm the biggest scar symmetry fan boy. Got all their albums! They need to finish part 2 already

Last edited:

I_D

I'm the biggest scar symmetry fan boy. Got all their albums! They need to finish part 2 already

soulmatespiku0.gif

What about Kalmah?
Note: This is the pop-iest song on this album. The rest of it is pure Children of Bodom/In Flames/The Duskfall/Arch Enemy-esque oldschool melo-death.

Last edited:

D-Dude

When Christian Alvestam left, so did a bit of my interest. Still like their guitarwork, lyrics and stuff but the new singers not so much.
Solution .45 new albums are good, imo

Also big fan of Devin Townsend, but I listen to a lot of music. Heilung is awesome too. Saw them live two years ago

Came home last night to find Code Orange just announced their next album with an oldschool ARG--has a 360 degree website, creepy unlisted YouTube videos, its own discord... the works.

Those guys are the truth, and I hope the new album delivers.

For 2019, I would say album of the year for me goes to Knocked Loose. Although Bound in Fear was absolutely insane.

Last edited:

Bigrx1

Banned
Saw Devin last Friday, he / the band played a Disco Inferno cover. He's an entertaining dude.

Some older Devy :

I'm mostly a black/death metal guy but I've always loved Townsend. I know it's not one of his most beloved but Ziltoid I is my fav of his even above stuff like City and Ocean Machine.

Gloggins

I'm mostly a black/death metal guy but I've always loved Townsend. I know it's not one of his most beloved but Ziltoid I is my fav of his even above stuff like City and Ocean Machine.
Same, I generally prefer the harsher stuff. Devin though can nail any style that he goes for.

GV82

Holy Shit did everyone see Devy’s setlist for 70,000 tons of metal last week??

osFOcuw.png

Taken from SetlistFm, thats a LOT of SYL stuff right there

Edit : same festival 2 days before

p81JI98.png

Last edited:

Ixion

Holy Shit did everyone see Devy’s setlist for 70,000 tons of metal last week??

osFOcuw.png

Taken from SetlistFm, thats a LOT of SYL stuff right there

Edit : same festival 2 days before

p81JI98.png

Fuck. I'm seeing Devin Townsend next month on his Empath tour, which should be a great time, but this is the kind of setlist I'd kill for. Lucky bastards.

Have you listened to Svavelvinter? It's Christian Älvestams latest project. Lyrics are in Swedish though which might not be your cup of tea.

I apologize, its not metal but the attitude is and these guys deserve a mention in any punk/rock/metal topic as well. Ive been a fan since 1993. I still remember when I was in like 7th grade and Firestarter came out. Also, Firestarter and Smack My Bitch up are now 24 year old songs and they sound and fit as if they were made for today. To this day there has not been a remix of the two songs that could do a better job than the original.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
I apologize, its not metal but the attitude is and these guys deserve a mention in any punk/rock/metal topic as well. Ive been a fan since 1993. I still remember when I was in like 7th grade and Firestarter came out. Also, Firestarter and Smack My Bitch up are now 24 year old songs and they sound and fit as if they were made for today. To this day there has not been a remix of the two songs that could do a better job than the original.

I'm a lifelong metal fan and to me The Prodigy deserves to be in the hall of the greats. They are more metal than many bands.

Top Bottom