• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Moment a Great Game Turned Legendary

myfriendtim

I'm sure many people wonder why Super Metroid is the GOAT just like I wonder why Babe Ruth is the GOAT. So here's the moment the game turned from great into legendary for me. In return, I'd like to hear about the moment when any game did the same for you.

For me, it was when I was trying to bomb jump, which requires allowing vertically placed bombs to launch you in the air successively while in morph-ball form. An item was located in the wall, and it was clear I had to bomb jump because the hole in the wall was only one block high, too small to enter without being a ball.

It was rough. I tried forever, thinking logically that I should place each bomb at the height of each jump. For you experts, I was attempting the 2BJ without knowing that the IBJ, 3BJ, and HBJ even existed.

Then I thought, "This game is thematically all about clues. There is a clue for everything. So the clue for where to place each bomb must be on the wall I'm trying to scale." I knew I had it then, so I smiled to myself.

I placed bombs along each tile of the wall. No dice. Undeterred, I placed bombs along the lines between the tiles of the wall, thinking that was the clue to the spacing of the bombs. Nothing doing. I tried a spacing of every other tile, I tried every other line, I tried everything until I was sick of trying.

Then I thought, "What if the clue actually wasn't shown?"

As soon as I thought that, I got a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. I couldn't tell you why, and I still can't account for it. Rationally, I should have smiled to myself again, but wider, for figuring out the true answer. But I didn't. All I could think was that this would be legendary if it worked.

I tapped the bomb button to the beat of the music, and I was soaring.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Too many to tell them all but to name a few God of War PS4 did it for me when
he got the blades of chaos back
Demon soul's PS3
the dragon god of 2-3.
The last of Us 2
the descent of a tower from top to bottom by Abby. Amazing atmosphere and lot of stressful yet fun moments . For that king of moment I would welcome a TLOU3
Metal Gear Solid 4
return to shadow moses and the Metal gear fight .

MilkyJoe

wPHT6tE.gif

Altares13th

The last guardian, when the siren rings at the top of the tower and you realise everything that was going on in the next 30 seconds.
ICO when you the bridge separates and you have to decide to go back to save Yorda.
SOTC when you realise you cannot escape your demise at the hand of those villagers, even though you try furiously.
In that order.

leizzra

Bloodborne -
in Nightmare of Mensis, after lowering the brain, you go meet with it. You use gesture that was supposed to be invented for contacting with Great Ones. After some time you recive a run from the brain. Runs were words of the Great Ones. You just got yourself a chat with one of them. Mindblowing. Especially that you need to combanie the facts to do that and understand what it means.

theHFIC

Space Quest 4
When you time travel back to the EGA version of Space Quest 1 with Roger Wilco in his VGA form.

Super Mario Bros 3
The giant world where all the enemies, bricks, and powerups were giant sized.

South Park: The Fractured But Whole
When one of the bosses is revealed to be Jared from Subway and he talks about his Aides

Max Payne 3
The tire scene after you spent so much of the game trying to rescue one of the people who got burned in a stack of tires.

ssringo

All the 4th wall breaking that happened in Metal Gear Solid. Mindblowing experience at the time.

"Her CODEC is on the back if the CD case"
"You like Castlevania don't you"
"Use the second controller port"

Psycho Mantis calling me out for playing Castlevania was my moment.

Last edited:

Aesius

Riding the elevator down from the Undead Parish into Firelink Shrine in Dark Souls 1.

Not only was it a massive sigh of relief to be back in a safe area after pushing forward into the unknown for so long, but it was a realization that the world is massive and fully interconnected.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Mass Effect - Sovereign encounter.

Mass Effect 2 - Suicide Mission

Resident Evil 4 - "a chainsaw?"

Silent Hill - Alchemilla Hospital

Silent Hill 2 - The Silent Hill Historical Society

Assassin's Creed 2 - "may it never change us,"

Metroid Prime - Tallon Overworld

Ocarina of Time - retrieving the Master Sword

Majora's Mask - "You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?"

Lots of great moments that elevated games for me.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Trails in the Sky: the part where Estelle and her stepbrother accidentally see each other naked and realize they want to bone.

As someone who’s absolutely terrified at the idea of approaching a girl, I always fantasize about having a non-threatening, sisterly (yet smoking hot) female friend and then getting spontaneously un-friendzoned like that.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Getting the light saber in Jedi Knight dark forces 2

Seeing Samus as a woman in Metroid

Gravity gun in HL2

The first time you do a Heist in GTA5

Getting over the mountains in RDR2

SMB3 when you slide down the hill in World 1-2

your first step in Mario 64

The first fog door in dark souls and beating the boss the first time. felt really good.

Zannegan

Coming across the Flood on a blind first playthrough of the original Halo was a pretty big one. And if that didn't do it for you, that final warthog level should have.

The first step along the path to the true ending in Aria of Sorrow.

And I don't know if many others can relate to this, but that first jump button after collecting enough agility orbs to level up in Crackdown instantly hooked me for the rest of the game.

Shadow of the Colossus (you all who played it know when) If up to that point it wasn't already legendary enough, that shocking reveal and the dramatic resolution sent a shockwave of emotions and goosebumps that touched infinity, hence Legendary.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
My earliest memory of such phenomenon is when I realized how civilization 3 works, what I'm supposed to do and so on. I lost many nights and hours after that.

My latest memory of such phenomenon is when I understood how bloodborne works and how to level in it (it was my first FromSoftware game). It became one of my favorite games and my fondest memories in gaming.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The opening of Ghost of Tsushima, when it transitions from a cutscene to actual gameplay while you're riding your horse. Amazing visuals and amazing even on a base PS4. Absolutely epic and set the tone solidly for the rest of the game.

4TaT_6.gif

BootsLoader

Banned
Ocarina of time, when you finish the game and leave master sword and Navi behind (you know the music play, bell sounds etc). I was a kid and I felt so many things, excitement, happiness, sadness and more. I could not handle it and start crying. Damn that moment made me a gamer for the rest of my life.

Top Bottom