• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The more I see of Days Gone, the less I am enthused about it...

Zimmy68

When I first saw it I thought, ok it might be a fun game for this holiday season.
Then they keep delaying it and delaying it.
Now I have no interest.
It is obvious something isn't working.

What kills it for me is the phoned in dialogue. I think it's tough to be fresh and unique with the post apocalyptic setting, as even "funny guy" characters come off as cliche because the genre has been done to death. I still maintain that they could have made the same exact game but given it a much needed "shot in the arm" by changing the aesthetic to something completely different... ie distant future dystopia with alien type enemies (blaster master style). Ah well, will likely check it out... but def waiting for reviews first

Imtjnotu

The part of the GI video where he was in the room surrounded by 6 zombies and the AI only took him on 1v1 bothered me so bad.

Hopefully the AI gets better with a year left in development

BPoole

I thought it looked boring from the very beginning. Most of the shooting was just spraying randomly into a mob

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I watched about 40 minutes of the GI gameplay and I was really unimpressed. Is it me or did they make it seem way too much about the bike? Like you're gonna upgrade the bike and do all this stuff with the bike....and I'm just sitting here like...how many Zombies am I going to kill....while I'm on the bike?

I think the initial hype started with the early trailers with your character running around jumping and using the environment to set traps for the zombies or use those traps to take down enemy factions. You were also fighting what seemed like hundreds of zombies. I understand this was the first hour, but I'm left to wonder, at what point are you literally jumping through building while 100's of zombies are chasing you.

Something doesn't feel right here.

sony should give the order another try and let Ready at dawn or Bend Studio to develop it. Even The Order looks like a more interesting game then Days Gone. All they have to do is add 4 player coop and improve the gameplay

Whitecrow

Banned
For me, all depends on the story and the main character. If there's some substance there, I wont mind to play another zombi game.
But for what I saw, seems interesting enough to keep an eye on it.

Ml33tninja

Neo Member
You people are crazy! The game looks amazing to me. And what's with the extreme pickiness of people nowadays?
People just want something different is all. You can't expect everyone to want to like the same thing. I'll be honest it's not grabbing me there

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Not to make this about SOD 2, but is it really that bad? Like borderline unplayable? I doubt it would release in that state. Guess I'll decide for myself later on tonight.

grizzlywhisker

Neo Member
the concept of this game is obviously totally unoriginal, but i think the gameplay looks like fun. i like open world games that you can explore and just have fun finding stuff and killing enemies. for me the story is just a bonus if it's any good. also, the motorcycle seems like it would be fun to drive around.

I'm really excited about Days Gone. I pre-ordered during the last BB Visa promo so that might be a record for me between placing the order and receiving the game. Lol I guess if the reviews bomb it I'll just return the game. But, as we've just seen with State of Decay 2, mainstream reviewers don't always get it right. So, we shall see.

Not to make this about SOD 2, but is it really that bad? Like borderline unplayable? I doubt it would release in that state. Guess I'll decide for myself later on tonight.

The game is great but it's very niche. So keep that in mind. If you liked the original you'll love this one. If it scratches a particular itch for u it'll be one of your fave games. If not, you may not like it at all.

The negative reviews seem to have greatly over-stated the bugs problem. It's nowhere close to "unplayable" (on X1X here...will likely purchase on PC if/when they bring it to Steam). I've played roughly 18 hrs and have only experienced 2 bugs, neither of which are close to game breaking.

I'm personally loving the game and having more fun with it than any game I've played since, well, the first SoD...or, say, when Titanfall first dropped. It'll either click for you or it won't. This isn't a game that relies on flash or the quick fix...its very much a strategy/resource mgmt/sims/RPG-lite game set in a zombie apocalypse. :) That works for some and not so much for others.

Same, l think it is trying to many thing and being below average on every aspect. Melee combat looks bad,shooting looks bad, the cuts scene to gameplay looks bad, the "choose your history options" looks bad, the crafting looks bad, the random encounters looks bad. I think the only thing that is ok is your bike.
From the 40 min that I saw, the game already feels old and boring by the repetition.
And there is one big problem, Red Dead Redemption 2 probably is going to introduce new things to the open world genre and push the standards. I'm getting Infamous second son vibe on this, and that is not a good thing.

bitbydeath

This makes it sound promising.

GamesBeat: What do you still have to work on? What are you polishing or trying to get right?

Garvin: Right now we’re just tuning. Tuning and polishing. The open world team is working hard to get the number of ambient events dialed in. The mission designers are busy polishing every part of the game. We have engineers polishing the animation. We have the audio team going through and polishing up all of the sound effects. Every part of the game is being polished. It’s 100 percent playable, like I said. I’ve beaten it. We feel pretty good about where we’re at, because now we can really pay attention to making it more fun and looking as good as we possibly can.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/05/22/...its-like-saying-superheroes-are-played-out/2/

With the way your motorcycle is tied to the gameplay so much, I really wish they'd kept the other title "Dead Don't Ride". Days Gone seems so generic compared to that.

astroglide

Its like this game is being set up to fail. Its not gonna score well due to last of us comparisons. I feel a repeat of the order

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The game is great but it's very niche. So keep that in mind. If you liked the original you'll love this one. If it scratches a particular itch for u it'll be one of your fave games. If not, you may not like it at all.

The negative reviews seem to have greatly over-stated the bugs problem. It's nowhere close to "unplayable" (on X1X here...will likely purchase on PC if/when they bring it to Steam). I've played roughly 18 hrs and have only experienced 2 bugs, neither of which are close to game breaking.

I'm personally loving the game and having more fun with it than any game I've played since, well, the first SoD...or, say, when Titanfall first dropped. It'll either click for you or it won't. This isn't a game that relies on flash or the quick fix...its very much a strategy/resource mgmt/sims/RPG-lite game set in a zombie apocalypse. :) That works for some and not so much for others.

So I been playing...non-stop since it came out. It's a very addictive game. That being said, it is the glitchiest mess I've seen...pretty much ever. The things they get right they get really right though. I compare it to Destiny in a sense because the mechanics feel so good to play but the game overall is significantly flawed. For Destiny, it's the systems, the microtransactions, lack of innovation and the PR issues the game has. The shooting and gameplay is so satisfying that I still pick it up when content releases. State of Decay 2 is similar, except it's problem is it's scope and the bugs. However, killing zombies, building and management your community and the GTAlite style of gameplay just feels so damn good. I have to be over 30 hours in by now. I finish a run and I go right into the next one. Truly addictive game. I hope i'm not burned out by time they fix the problems.

DonF

The part of the GI video where he was in the room surrounded by 6 zombies and the AI only took him on 1v1 bothered me so bad.

Hopefully the AI gets better with a year left in development

I hate when games do that. It's less prevalent now, but assassin's creed and Rocksteady's Batman did this so much and it killed the immersion. I think of it as something that passed, too bad that this game is doing it. This game has so many red flags, its a shame.

Top Bottom