• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The more I see of Days Gone, the less I am enthused about it...

It's no secret, I am a pretty big PlayStation enthusiast. I love the work the first parties do, even if I don't enjoy the game, they all do great work. Uncharted: Golden Abyss was massively under-rated, most likely, due to the insane standards the console games had us all accustomed too, but when Zipper went, Lightbox went, Evolution and BigBig went, Cambridge Studio went etc... I genuinely thought Sony Bend were next. Their designed had commented on how the projects all ended up being badly timed and quite often, cancelled, as they stand in the shadow of the bigger first party studios. An ex-developer from Sony Bend actually confirmed that Sony canned four of their Vita projects, Uncharted was one of them, not to be over shadowed by Uncharted 4, that was cancelled and their InFamous title in progress was also cancelled so that Sony could focus on Second Son...

That being said, I was hugely excited from the first trailer for Days Gone. It looked gritty, but in a different way to The Last of Us. It looked quite interesting as a concept, though we've been spoilt for these kinds of games the past generation or so, so we have seen open world zombie games at their best and worst. Okay, I know they're freakers, but whatever we decide to call them, you follow my drift. It was a surprise enough seeing the Sony Bend logo on screen at E3 2016, never mind being a new IP. People immediately drew comparisons to TLoU, saying it's like The Walking Dead meets Sons of Anarchy. Call me out of the loop, but I stopped walking TWD after season 2 and I've never seen Sons of Anarchy but when they said post-apocalyptic biker gang survives in a dead world, it sounded pretty fucking good.

Except this whole media blow out, is very much having the opposite effect on me.

Marcus Beer once commented on an episode of Bonus Road on GameTrailers (R.I.P) about how publishers should advertise and promote their games, drip feeding content and not going all in. For a 2019 title, I think we're going in too deep right now.

Game Informer have the first hour of the game and tonnes of content, which is really cool but the game didn't look too solid to me. I think the first hour looked really bland and the vibes I were getting from the content we had seen so far, don't match how the game is developing.

First and foremost, why the hell do we earn XP? An RPG system seems totally unnecessary to me for a game like this. Not only that, but seeing the amount of XP earned per kill pop up with each enemy downed is really distracting. Especially where it comes up. The game seems too heavy on the UI from this alpha footage and if they really do implement a character progression system, which again, I really don't think this game needs, then I hope it's more stream lined and there in the background.

The world itself doesn't really feel as convincing as The Last of Us did. I know TLoU is set quite some time after the outbreak, whereas this isn't quite so long after, but I didn't really feel threatened. Like in the E3 demo where Deacon fought all the freakers in the wood yard, I mean that was intense. I really don't feel that way anymore.

The gritty story that I was expecting sounds like more of a brolationship as the Bend developers have described it, at least, that's how it came across to me between Deacon and Boozer. I was hoping for a little more depth on that front, but the writing and quality of acting seems too far out to me. The guy who plays Deacon is well acted, but the other characters don't seem to match the quality he offers the character which is why he stands out a little bit. I mean two perfect examples, you see the snippet from the E3 2016 trailer where Deacon is smashing something's head in with a shotgun. Turns out it's just a dead freaker and Boozer starts going off about how he shouldn't be angry for what happened too his wife.

The conversation seems completely out of place and I don't think it's very effective given that it does lead us to make assumptions but silly in a sense that we're less than an hour in, they're talking about something that's supposed to be quite deep and emotional to this character and it feels like a casual chat. Not to mention the conversation at the end of the demo where the head of the camp makes Deacon run some errands for killing one of his people just seems to fall flat. Something like that when Tess and Joel were arguing made me feel like a dude who was watching two people I'm really close with having a full blown argument and tensions being everywhere. This conversation didn't quite feel like that at all.

Don't even get me started on the decision making stuff, it seems like it was ripped straight out of InFamous and doesn't feel like it fits the game. Why not make the decision making more passive and less "Shoot the dude, or save the dude." Bearing in mind, we saw what happened if we saved him so our input doesn't seem to count very much.

The point I'm trying to get across is that the game they're showing now, feels very different to the original trailer and content at E3 2016 and again the demo at E3 2017. Which is disappointing, because I really liked the world and story they tried to depict there. It looks and feels like it's taking a lot of core elements from Sony titles and throwing them in together. You can see the influence from work done by Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Guerilla and Santa Monica Studio. I was constantly drawing comparisons to other titles like Uncharted, The Last of Us, Horizon, InFamous etc. To make it worse, this game isn't even out until 2019 and we have the first HOUR of the game available to see. The problem for me now as someone who loved the look of the game and really wanted to buy it is that I bought into this from the content we had. After the first hour of the game, I don't actually think I'd buy it right away. I'd probably wait for it to come down in price or be on offer.

IF and I know it's a very big IF... the title ends up being a similar picture to what the first hour painted.

I mean I'm playing God of War now and the first hour was intense. I watch this and I'm not really that fussed, which I'm really quite sad about.

What are GAF's impressions of the game so far? Do you like the direction they're taking and how it's shaping up? Where are you at with your hype factor? I got to say, I'm at like 4/10 right now....

Fbh

I have to admit I'm not into watching hours of content of a game before release so I didn't watch the entire 1 hour video GI released but instead just jumped around it for 10 minutes or so.

And yeah, it wasn't really doing much for me. Looks pretty derivative from other open world games IMO and the gunplay didn't look that great (but I'd obviously have to play it first to tell foro sure). Then again I'm generally not a big fan of the type of setting seen in this game (dark zombie post apocalipse with lots of grey and brown), TLOU got me to care with some characters and acting that I really liked and the whole ND style narrative/cinematic heavy gameplay design.

Then again I've been wrong about games before. Depending on the post release reactions to it I'm still willing to check it out

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It really does look extremely average. Doesn't look bad but I have zero interest for an average looking open world zombie game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I feel like I did when I saw the Operation Flashpoint games. It captures all the goodness from games that came before it , but it's relying on word of mouth to truly impress players.

I preorder a game a month and sometimes I get two. I can't see myself excited for Days Gone.

The name of the game feels underwhelming. I like monsters and zombies, but I'm only tied to certain series. Those bonds are ones I don't wish to break.

I'm not feeling it. I don't know what to expect. Gunplay? Characters that probably won't see a sequel? Endless banter until I mute the game?

manfestival

It never looked interesting to me. I found the promotion to be void of any solid content for a new title. You can do that type of promotion for established franchises with high pedigree studios. New IPs really need to drive home that appeal... well at least to get proper exposure to not have to just rely on word of mouth

bilderberg

Earlier demos from last year looked great. Seeing xp numbers come up when shooting guys completely kills any excitement I have left though.

cozomel

You people are crazy! The game looks amazing to me. And what's with the extreme pickiness of people nowadays?

Defo agree with you. Even though it actually looks alright, and the graphics look nice, nothing about it interests me. Which is really weird because I am relatively interested in zombie related titles.

Not sure why

Tarkus98

I really have to believe that the xp counter over the heads of the zombies you are shooting can be turned off in the settings if not, ugh.
I really like the atmosphere and the choices you can make to resolve a given situation. I know I will also quite enjoy cruising around on the motorcycle which they say kinda becomes a separate character in the game. That being said, there is definitely something missing for me here but I can’t quite put my finger on it.
I am hopeful that the game will become more engaging as the story progresses but like I said, something is just off.
Still, I have confidence that the finished product will deliver but this is one I’ll wait for reviews and some positive word of mouth before tossing my cash down.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm not gonna make same mistake as I did with GOW and judge entire game in my first impression. I'm gonna wait and see how this games cooks up before make the final judgement and if I remember correctly this going be released in 2019. If thats the case then we have long way to go and honestly right now my attention is in other games that are coming this year.

HeresJohnny

Just got the new GI in the mail and was thinking the same thing while skimming through it while eating dinner. There's something missing.

TimFL

I wouldn‘t worry about the XP UI (you can surely turn this off) or bad gameplay (no way to judge this without your own hands-on).
I am confused about the fact that they show this now when it‘s a 2019 title. I guess the theory that they booked the GI coverage a while ago (before the delay) makes sense though. Months full
of coverage don‘t grow on trees, have to be fast to snag one up.

Or they are about to SEGA us at E3 „we lied, Days Gone is out now“.

Ar¢tos

Anything with zombies, vampires, werewolves and similar creatures is an automatic NO for me. They are themes that have been done over and over and over. They have been milked to exhaustion. So Days Gone and TLOU2 are a big yawn for me.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I think it looks solid. I don't think it'll break any ground, but I think it'll be a quality 3rd person survival zombie experience with some light RPG elements like crafting and gathering resources mixed in.

I have a hunch that original gameplay trailer with the hoards of zombies rushing and them bring gunned down en masse will prove to be an outlier for its gameplay. I just have a gut feeling I'll play through it and have an experience like that once in the entire game when IMO their original intent was to make it feel like the game would play like that all the time.

Wonkytonk

Earlier demos from last year looked great. Seeing xp numbers come up when shooting guys completely kills any excitement I have left though.

I’m not 100% sure but I think I heard during the Game Informer coverage that the XP thing can be turned off. It was a big debate between the guys working on the game within the studio.

NahaNago

I tend to not watch a lot so I don't get too spoiled before the game comes out but I would have to say that the original trailer gave me no interest in the game but the info,trailers, and gameplay that came later got me interested in it

Blam

Because there's nothing for an IP in there. Just a one off, and probably a mediocre one. It seems like they wanted to have something to fight with State of Decay. But really Sony pushed the gun. They needed a bunch of shit to throw at gamers that would have taken years to come out and they knew the hype would ride out and sell consoles compared to actually delivering a good product.

MDSLKTR

What are you guys smoking, this is 2019 Horizon. Amount of views and likes on the GI videos coverage speaks for themselves.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
For me, looks like the ideal Last of Us, but we already have it, so it's kinda pointless.

DonF

I’m not 100% sure but I think I heard during the Game Informer coverage that the XP thing can be turned off. It was a big debate between the guys working on the game within the studio.
You heard right, confirmed in the video you can turn off the XP gain and other HUD related stuff.

Halo0629

Too early to dismissed a game based on the first mission where most of the gameplay and stuffs are still limited or locked.

Pejo

I think it's just that it doesn't really have a "niche" in the zombie subgenre. You're just a dude versus a bunch of zombies. Not a cyborg ninja vs. zombies, not a werewolf vs. zombies, no special powers, no otherworldly guns, etc. It's just a bog standard zombie game. Would have been huge a few years ago when the zombie thing was kicking into high gear, but by now we know how the story's going to go and we've seen this played out numerous times.

Still looks good, and I'll probably pick it up if it's fun. I just get what you're saying OP, and I pretty much felt this way since the reveal. I was constantly waiting for the "ok where's the big "whoah!" moment?" and it never came. I think they were expecting that big horde of zombies to wow people but eh.

ScrapBrain

I'm on the No Zombie train also. As soon as it was announced and I saw an undead horde, I immediately checked out and stopped caring about it. Zombies have been done in every genre, to death, and I feel like the resources towards this game would be better served elsewhere. This is literally how I view this game in this particular genre:

lwhXxYe.jpg

Game looks like shit. Wouldn't even get it on sale.

Too many games with zombies are not the problem, the problem is that there are too many shitty games with zombies.

zeorhymer

Just watched gameplay. I hope you can turn the numbers off. But it looks cool. I will buy.

Exactly. I hope you don't get into a mob of zombies and throw a molotov cocktail at the group and a thousand numbers pop up and bog down the screen. I was ok with it in Assassin's Creed Origins because the combat was usually one on one, but no thanks to a horde of numbers flying out.

MDSLKTR

Exactly. I hope you don't get into a mob of zombies and throw a molotov cocktail at the group and a thousand numbers pop up and bog down the screen. I was ok with it in Assassin's Creed Origins because the combat was usually one on one, but no thanks to a horde of numbers flying out.
Serious question about this complaint: any of you played dead rising?

VulcanRaven

I disagree. It looks good but I would like to see more zombie hordes. That is what made it interested when the game was revealed.

Alebrije

Looks like a mix of State of Decay and Dying light so we can expect a little new from gameplay perspective. Unless it has a deep intriguing story it will be just another zombie game.

This game is getting the Order 1886 treatment, for sure. It has so many reviews based on 1 hour of alpha, they could release a game of gen and it would still never get it’s due.

Sure the Order wasn’t game of gen, but far better than it was portrayed.

What about all the negative pre-release stuff about Wolfenstein TNO? That held that game’s launch back, imo. Turned out the game is awesome as hell.

My take? Not interested? Wait for reviews, they’ll either confirm your suspicions or change your mind.

Stop reviewing a game you haven’t played.

zeorhymer

Serious question about this complaint: any of you played dead rising?

I played Dead Rising 3 I think it was with the mechanic. I stopped playing because of all 10, 20, 200 PP flying all over the place when I did massive kills. I stopped at the first boss then never picked it back up.

I'm on the No Zombie train also. As soon as it was announced and I saw an undead horde, I immediately checked out and stopped caring about it. Zombies have been done in every genre, to death, and I feel like the resources towards this game would be better served elsewhere. This is literally how I view this game in this particular genre:

lwhXxYe.jpg

Out of ALL of those, there is a legit few that suck. The rest are well known games that have sold well and lasted through at least two generations now.

The problem with Day's Gone is it doesn't have a hook for normal gameplay. The horde is unique, but that is late game content. When it comes to normal play, it's standard 3rd person shooter stuff.

Outside of massive numbers of the horde, the reason why the first two demos looked so much better than the 1 hour of gameplay was because they had a lot of environmental interaction, and showed creative ways to take out the enemy. There was exploding barrels, collapsing bridges, using bear traps as a distraction, using the horde as a weapon, and creating choke points for freakers. The only thing the demo showed was typical gun and melee action.

Contrast that with another zombie game, Dying Light, where your normal gameplay had you doing cool parkour moves with varied melee and navigational abilities. Another difference is in the RPG elements. Days Gone only seems to have uninspired static passive buffs, whereas Dying Light lets you unlock new navigational abilities and attacks. There just doesn't seem to be enough variety in the normal Days Gone gameplay.

Last edited:

WilGrieve

If I'm being honest, it looks like one of the most generic "AAA" games I've seen in the past 10 years. When it was first revealed, I thought, "This looks pretty boring but it could be cool, I look forward to seeing more."

As I see more, the more I realize my initial thoughts were correct. Generic ass zombie game. Probably not as fun as State of Decay 2, and I don't even own (nor do I desire) an Xbone.

Kagero

I think the issue is that we’ve come to expect a level of quality when it comes to Sony first party. There’s a certain jank to everything about this game that doesn’t quite measure up.

ScrapBrain

Out of ALL of those, there is a legit few that suck. The rest are well known games that have sold well and lasted through at least two generations now.

I literally didn't even care enough to google all the games and look at metascores, I just slapped what was easily accessible into mspaint. it does not include the breadth and scope of the zombie genre, I'm sure every face in that photo could have a game on it, you'll have to excuse me for not being that dedicated to a poor visual gag hahaha

Isa

I personally don't see this as a AAA title, more of a B or A game. And there's nothing wrong with that. If it doesn't trip anybody's trigger I'd say move along then. There are plenty of fish in the sea. I think Sony and Bend are in a pickle with this game, but I hope its a decent game. I'll be buying.

NewYork214

I don't know much about actual game development but I thought it looked like it has the potential to be great.

It's still a far way off from completion. They already confirmed that you can turn off the xp count in the hour long gameplay. They also said something about how they loved the xp numbers during hordes when you are wiping out lots of people at once. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the horde gameplay.

The preteen freaker guys also caught my attention. They creeped me out quite a bit. Even in the video they we're building up anxiety keeping an eye on them.

I'll give it a chance.

Calvino

Neo Member
Throw a bunch of tropes/references/mechanics into a blender, homogenize the shit out of it and voila!

Vawn

Banned
I feel like few are giving this game much of a chance.

There have been some games everyone was convinced would stink that actually turned out well. Until Dawn, Shadows of Mordor, Mario + Rabbids, etc. I guess we will see.

Last edited:
The Rpg elements seem nice but I refuse to spoil even the first hour. That being said, the first hour of every game is usually boring. It's hard to judge by that. Good games always ramp things up after that.

I literally didn't even care enough to google all the games and look at metascores, I just slapped what was easily accessible into mspaint. it does not include the breadth and scope of the zombie genre, I'm sure every face in that photo could have a game on it, you'll have to excuse me for not being that dedicated to a poor visual gag hahaha

I didn't google either. I game and so do friends I know and more than half of the accessible titles up there are great games. Kudos on the mspaint tho.

Top Bottom