• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Most Beautiful Book You Own

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be beautifully illustrated or beautifully written, or both.

Mine would be this magnificent illustrated edition of the complete Lord of the Rings trilogy. Lavishly illustrated by Alan Lee, with about 50 or so full-color plates.

lVocui0.jpg

Kb8SJDZ.jpg

9WcHBFt.jpg

bS7sgol.jpg

Sorry for potato quality and lighting.

I really love the Barnes and Noble Collectible edition of Dune.

11379883_999285183425646_1996770951_n.jpg

Would love to have a mint first edition hardcover though. That version is beautiful too.

Twilightbook.jpg

I wish I was kidding. But I'm not. I found it at work, and I felt it was a sign so I took it home and kept it. And I've had it ever since.

BumRush

I'm on mobile but I bought a bunch of Robert Sabuda pop up books for my wife / daughter. Check them out (particularly little mermaid and beauty and the beast)

Mdk7

My copy of the Codex Seraphinianus, a fake medieval manuscript describing in detail creatures, animals and cultures that don't even exist.

DJ_Lae

Can't find a great picture but probably my Calvin & Hobbes collection.

oFDZsYu.jpg

You could kill someone with the set too.

FTF

Fantastic book OP!

Can't find a great picture but probably my Calvin & Hobbes collection.

oFDZsYu.jpg

You could kill someone with the set too.

This is mine too…I love this series and collection so much. I re-read it every few years.

Oh, this may be my second fav:

ku-xlarge.jpg

and third (not my pick but have the book) :

the-stanley-kubrick-archive-aka-the-most-incredible-gift-1343052445.jpg

Quick

Banned
The American version of Harry Potter.

Mary GrandPre's artwork for the series is wonderful. I looked forward to seeing the artwork on each chapter for each new book.

c19--the-lion-and-serpent.jpg

c23-horcruxes.jpg

c37--the-lost-prophecy.jpg

dh.c04--seven-potters.jpg

And the miscellaneous artwork:

duelingwizards.jpg

tumblr_mv0saiJhMJ1rlus0so1_500.jpg

Mary-GrandPre-Unpublished-Harry-Potter-Book-Covers-004.jpg

5.jpg

LProtag

I have a copy of The Illustrated Dune.

It goes for 20+ dollars used, I got it at my favorite local place for 4 dollars.

jond76

Banned
When I heard a couple years back that "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" was dropping the old art for some generic looking stuff. I made it my mission to secure copies of the original two books. The art is striking and creepy and memorable.

Brb using imagination cuz no pics.

John Blade

city-of-darkness.jpg

Not the newest version but the original one. Somehow it was in a second hand shop and got it cheap (2 dollars when I got it). Love the book and history of the location.

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
The Wizard of Earthsea trilogy, by Ursula K LeGuin. I love the late 70's early 80s cover art, they are so beautiful to me:

Wizard+of+Earthsea.jpg

the-tombs-of-atuan-02.jpg

Earthsea-02.gif

Also, I love the covers (again) for the late 70s early 80s covers of the Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, and Dragondrums books by Anne McCraffrey:

Dragonsong-cover.jpg

8302038596_474ce35723_b.jpg

I cannot find a good copy of the Dragondrums cover. :(

mclem

I do have the C&H collection myself, but I'm not going to say that largely because I've not actually dared to open it yet. One day I'm sure I will.

In terms of books I have opened, I have to nominate two on the same theme, because it's a subject I'm passionate about:

Disneyland: The Nickel Tour. It's a history of Disneyland - told through images of the postcards that were for sale there. There's snippets of rides long-gone, pieces of original themed artwork, and all told through the cheap souvenirs available.

A similar premise, a similar large coffee-table book full of full-colour images, but in this case it's the various posters found around the parks. Things like this:

Utterly gorgeous.

Apt101

I own a bunch of the Barnes and Noble leatherbound editions. I think this one may be the prettiest, though they all look great:

a24c20b4ea8066ba4ec86077085e07f3.jpg

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The American version of Harry Potter.

Mary GrandPre's artwork for the series is wonderful. I looked forward to seeing the artwork on each chapter for each new book.
I was thinking of this too. Sadly I only own Half-Blood Prince from that collection, as my copy of Deathly Hallows is the adult British one, and the rest are Latin American Spanish editions. I'd love to get the US edition of the other six books, from what I saw in HBP they are incredibly well done, and those drawings look great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom