• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most impressive patched PS4 game I've played on PS5 is GoT

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Update: The new thread title does not properly portray what I'm trying to say here. Read the post.

Yes, I've played Demon's Souls, R&C, etc, and they look great and do some really cool things, but the game that has impressed me the most on PS5 is Ghost of Tsushima, which I recently started playing (the PS5 version). I never played it on PS4, and I can hardly believe this game could run on that old thing (albeit at a lower resolution and framerate). It makes TW3 (the closest last-gen comparison I can think of) look a generation older. The game is just so damn beautiful, and seeing it at 4K (checkerboarded, but it looks damn sharp), running at a perfectly smooth 60fps, is mind-blowing at times. I guess it's not really doing any truly next-gen stuff, but everything looks so consistently great and runs so smoothly that it doesn't matter at all. When the setting sun hits the grassy fields just right it's among the prettiest things I've ever seen in a game. I guess if there's one thing that looks a bit last-gen it's the character models, but they don't look bad by any means.

It's also the most fun I've had in an open world game since BotW (and before it, probably). It gives me that same urge to explore the world, and is just enjoyable to experience. The traversal, the combat, everything is super polished, and there's very little open world jank.

So yeah, if you've been on the fence about this one, don't be. It's pretty good.

Last edited:
yeah hell no. Youre taking GoT graphically? Demon Souls blows it out of the water. Gamewise. It’s just simpler Assassin Creed. Only one I’ve played was Black Flag. There’s nothing fundamentally different from it.

It’s going to be funny when the next Assassin Creed is in Japan and its a way better game than GoT but it wont get this unnecessary praise.

Its a good game. But if someone praises the writing next. Ill be done.

bender

What time is it?
I love how lush the world is in Tsushima it's just too bad that the open world design and combat are also ran.

Hugare

The best looking PS4 game on the PS5 is BY FAR God of War. Glorious 4K/60 presentation.

TLOU Part 2 would be a good contender, but it runs at 1440p, and it shows

Ghost looks awesome (so sharp), but it lacks texture detail everywhere.

T0minator

The shout outs for Ratchet, Demon Souls GoT and TLOU2 in this thread is a testament to how high PlayStation Studios standards are. This next gen is going to be amazing, Sony and even Microsoft are just getting started

mhirano

yeah hell no. Youre taking GoT graphically? Demon Souls blows it out of the water. Gamewise. It’s just simpler Assassin Creed. Only one I’ve played was Black Flag. There’s nothing fundamentally different from it.

It’s going to be funny when the next Assassin Creed is in Japan and its a way better game than GoT but it wont get this unnecessary praise.

The writing was cliché-filled serviceable but the voice acting, scenario and set pieces elevated the game to an epic tale.

Erik241294

Neo Member
Will agree on this one. Ghost of Tsushima is a game that I do not have any huge expectation since I dont know anything about aside from "Japan", "assassin" and stuffs. Turned out it was the best purchase in 2020 for me.

In terms of graphic, it is not something extraordinary or ahead of time. But the visual is stunningly beautiful, incredible environment, incredible sense of historical Japan.
Personally I'm pretty interested in Japanese culture so it' can be a bit bias when I'm saying this. But judging by many reviews, I believe lots of people share the same idea as mine.

Ryu Kaiba

It's like VideoGameDunkey said in one of his vids:
"God of War,

The Last of Us,

Ghosts of Tsushima,

Death Stranding,

The PS4 has been capable of graphics like this the entire time, but how many games actually look like that?"

Hardware has already exceeded the needs and capabilities of most devs, This gen should be more about performance upgrades.

Gives us games that look like The Last of Us 2 running at 60FPS, it doesn't get much better than that.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Last time I was impressed was by GG Aleste 3 on Game Gear.
The time before was Xeno Crisis on MegaDrive.
And the time before was Sonic Unleashed on 360.

SkylineRKR

Yeah PS4 upgrades are among the best looking PS5 games. Sure GoT 2 could look better but if they fill it with RT stuff etc the framerate and resolution takes a hit which makes the first game better to play anyway. If you want it all, its best to stick to PS4 visuals at high fps and res. God of War, TLOU2 and Ghost are extremely good looking games on PS5. I didn't think 'this has to look better' or something.

Last edited:
For me it's probably TLOU2 for the realistic graphics (and animations) and Ratchet. The ray tracing in Ratchet will all the details, transparency effects with RT are really something else. It's really hard to go back to the usual flawed reflections after Ratchet.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Leaving the art style aside, tsushima is probably the weakest in term of graphic compared to any other sony open world, so no, i was not surprised that it can run on a ps4 when days gone or spidey or horizon or rdr2 or princess beach runs on it.

It's a good game and it looks awesome in parts, but it's definitely an argument for art over tech. Some of the game looks rough. Flat lighting in interiors, copy paste environments in many places, poor, stiff animations for non important interactions, etc.

I took a million pictures of it, though. I think it's on par with Assassin's Creed.

Topher

Gold Member

The combat is a bit different with the stances and not just the usual attack/parry with swords. The stealth aspects are pretty much the same as Black Flag, I'll give you that. Of course, Black Flag was back when Assassin's Creed was actually about being an Assassin. The last few AC games lost that aspect of AC so, imo, GoT was actually a better AC than Ubisoft's recent offerings.

Why is praise for any game "unnecessary"? That just means others like it more than you do. Why is that a problem?

Hunnybun

Try TLOU II with the 60 fps patch in HDR on an OLED tv.....

Funny, I've found that Naughty Dog games have aged the worst of all the PS4 games I've gone back to. The low res textures also really stand out on a big tv, too.

The best looking PS4 game now is God of War at 60 fps. A lot of the time it looks properly next gen.

I'd say Ratchet is still the best looking game overall, but if I'm being honest it doesn't always FEEL that next gen. It's really just a very pretty version of the same old game. For me the game that's felt the most next gen overall is Returnal.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
DS looks amazing on Ps5, but GoT looks even better.

Looking forward to playing, I have the PS4 version on my pile'o'shame, but after playing Nioh2 for most of 2020 I've been samurai'd out a bit and have been saving it (upgraded) for when I'm more in the mood.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Looking forward to playing, I have the PS4 version on my pile'o'shame, but after playing Nioh2 for most of 2020 I've been samurai'd out a bit and have been saving it (upgraded) for when I'm more in the mood.

Funnily enough, I was playing Nioh 2 not long before GoT. Don't worry about the comparison. They're wildly different in tone and style. Nioh's very much a fantasy, whereas GoT really tries to stay grounded in terms of its samurai depiction. I wouldn't even say GoT and Sekiro feel similar, despite the similar subject matters. Also, GoT is a way more relaxing game to play than Nioh.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Terrible new thread title. Sure, my original one was a little clickbaity, but this one is just inaccurate. It's not the most impressive patched PS4 game I've played on PS5, it's the most impressive game I've played on PS5 period. That's the point, that it to me looks better than any PS5 exclusive so far. Plus, I'm not even playing the patched PS4 version, I'm playing the native PS5 version (which I realize is the same thing, but still).

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Except all AC games have awful gameplay (the combat in particular), ridiculous bloat with the billions of icons on the map, janky mechanics everywhere, uneven asset quality, etc. This game has none of that. It has great gameplay, interesting side quests (more like TW3 than any AC), and feels polished.

Last edited:

Arioco

GoT was my favorite open world game after The Witcher 3 (which is still the game of the generation for me, I can't wait for the next gen patch). And yes, it's absolutely beautiful, breathtaking at times. And what's even more important: it's really fun to play.

I loved it, really. I expect great things from Sucker Punch.

Playing the original Ghost and TLOU2, made me question why we even needed a PS5.

The answer became definitely - the removal of loading screens, consistent high framerate and the features present in the DualSense.

Graphical improvements are there, but aren't nearly as noticeable as those other three things.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Playing the original Ghost and TLOU2, made me question why we even needed a PS5.

The answer became definitely - the removal of loading screens, consistent high framerate and the features present in the DualSense.

Graphical improvements are there, but aren't nearly as noticeable as those other three things.

Yeah, the instant loading and fast traveling in GoT (and basically all Sony 1st party titles on PS5) is the most next-gen feeling thing of all. I understand GoT had really quick loads on PS4 too, but on PS5 they're just not there at all. It's just a very quick fade to black and then you're there. So good.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Last time I was impressed was by GG Aleste 3 on Game Gear.
The time before was Xeno Crisis on MegaDrive.
And the time before was Sonic Unleashed on 360.
You had a 360 in the 80's?

Top Bottom