• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most impressive patched PS4 game I've played on PS5 is GoT

buenoblue

Yeah I picked the game up a few weeks ago and had the opposite reaction really. I thought ac Valhalla looked and played better on ps5 to me. There's not alot of fine detail for me on Got. I only played a few hours though before deciding I wasn't really in the mood for an open world game.

I think the best ps5 patch is GOW. Wow that game looks stunning on ps5.

But overall I think Ratchet in standard performance mode at high res and 60fps is the best looking game on ps5. I'm not a believer that raytracing = better automatically. I think the resolution cut is too high. Games have looked great before raytracing lol.

I played Witcher 3 on release on pc maxed out 108060 and it blew my mind. I played it a coulpe years ago Xbox one x and thought yeesh this game didn't hold up. I then played it recently on my new pc 4k60 maxed out and again was blown away so I don't think the console versions are not up to much until the next gen release.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Yeah I picked the game up a few weeks ago and had the opposite reaction really. I thought ac Valhalla looked and played better on ps5 to me. There's not alot of fine detail for me on Got. I only played a few hours though before deciding I wasn't really in the mood for an open world game.

I think the best ps5 patch is GOW. Wow that game looks stunning on ps5.

But overall I think Ratchet in standard performance mode at high res and 60fps is the best looking game on ps5. I'm not a believer that raytracing = better automatically. I think the resolution cut is too high. Games have looked great before raytracing lol.

I played Witcher 3 on release on pc maxed out 108060 and it blew my mind. I played it a coulpe years ago Xbox one x and thought yeesh this game didn't hold up. I then played it recently on my new pc 4k60 maxed out and again was blown away so I don't think the console versions are not up to much until the next gen release.

Totally agree about the RT in Ratchet. It's surely only because it's the big new tech that people even consider it being worth either 30fps or like a 40% cut to resolution.

I mean, wtf, really. I mean it looks fine. There are a few scenes where it looks really cool. But mostly it just looks like SSR to any kind of normal observer.

On the other hand, in performance mode the game looks significantly sharper and more vivid in literally EVEVRY scene!

RafterXL

I think Death Stranding is the most graphically impressive PS5 game atm. 4k60 In widescreen is just incredible.
It's a good game and it looks awesome in parts, but it's definitely an argument for art over tech. Some of the game looks rough. Flat lighting in interiors, copy paste environments in many places, poor, stiff animations for non important interactions, etc.

I took a million pictures of it, though. I think it's on par with Assassin's Creed.
It's artistically nice, but you're right, tech wise it's far from amazing. On top of the things you mentioned, there are entire bamboo forests that are just textures and you can walk/ride directly through the shoots. It's like some PS3 shit.

the ghosts upgrade (free one) was pretty awesome and the LOU2 patch also had me playing back through it again as the combat its just fun...its just a shame they could not patch out Abby

I think this is the impact that 60fps has. It truly is a game changing experience. The fluidity in motion makes the game look and feel so much more satisfying. I played the PS4 back compat version with the 60fps patch and that was fantastic, I can only imagine what the true PS5 version offers.

I'm looking forward to picking up the Death Stranding update when I'm able too.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
This thread makes me feel like I want a PS5 just to play PS4 games?
Never finished TLOU2, never tried Ghost or Tsushima, played an hour of Death Stranding…

Well do you remember how in the early months of the PS4 there were a lot of remasters and such? Same thing, now we just get patches because there's no reason to "remaster" something that was already built on compatible architecture.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Never finished TLOU2, never tried Ghost or Tsushima, played an hour of Death Stranding…
You'd have a lot of fun with all of these three games on PS5. TLOU 2 still runs in BC mode, but it was a gen ahead anyway and 60 FPS makes a lot of difference. Get the PS5 versions for GoT and DS.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Probably not the right place to point this out, but the DC version of Death Stranding has a load of small new additions and improvements over the PS4 version which really haven't been highlighted in the trailers and reviews because they are the sorts of details that you only really notice when deep in the game.

Honestly, just thinking of it as a visual upgrade is really selling short what KoijiPro has done. The best way I can describe it is to think of it as a fairly conservative remaster (same assets, but better frame-rate and resolution), bundled with about a year or two's worth of smaller content and quality-of-life patches.

Its just a much better experience than the original because of this. Do not sleep on this upgrade because there's not much in the way of obvious "expansion" elements beyond the side-stuff, especially if you've played it before I think you'll be surprised how often you encounter something unfamiliar and think "oh, this is new".

Playing games in 4K 60 on the Xbox One X was a wonderful experience the first time I tried it.

I would not suggest playing the games until you can get a PS5. The frame rate boost makes the games so much more enjoyable.

SSfox

It's incredible indeed, to say the least.

I Would love to see a next gen upgrade patch for RDR2/RDO as well, hopefully Retardstar will one day take a break from GTA online and give us this upgrade patch for Red dead 2.

Banned
it literally has zero graphical differences to the PS4 Pro version outside of a slightly higher resolution...

also, while the artdesign can be stunning at times, if you actually looks closer it's not really impressive graphics wise

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The best looking PS4 game on the PS5 is BY FAR God of War. Glorious 4K/60 presentation.

TLOU Part 2 would be a good contender, but it runs at 1440p, and it shows

Ghost looks awesome (so sharp), but it lacks texture detail everywhere.

Does it though? It looked super clean to me.

Kokoloko85

yeah hell no. Youre taking GoT graphically? Demon Souls blows it out of the water. Gamewise. It’s just simpler Assassin Creed. Only one I’ve played was Black Flag. There’s nothing fundamentally different from it.

It’s going to be funny when the next Assassin Creed is in Japan and its a way better game than GoT but it wont get this unnecessary praise.

Its a good game. But if someone praises the writing next. Ill be done.

The combat is vastly better than any Assassins Creed and most open world games out there.
So plenty fundamentally different

RoadHazard

Gold Member
it literally has zero graphical differences to the PS4 Pro version outside of a slightly higher resolution...

also, while the artdesign can be stunning at times, if you actually looks closer it's not really impressive graphics wise

It's also 60fps, which makes a HUGE difference. It not only feels smoother, but looks much better in motion too.

GymWolf

Those flops are used to push 4k and 60fps for old games. Add a bit of Ray tracing to the equation and you won't get much better graphic than that
Devs are gonna forget 4k, 60 fps and rtx in a couple of years, we just have to wait.

TonyK

Probably not the right place to point this out, but the DC version of Death Stranding has a load of small new additions and improvements over the PS4 version which really haven't been highlighted in the trailers and reviews because they are the sorts of details that you only really notice when deep in the game.

Honestly, just thinking of it as a visual upgrade is really selling short what KoijiPro has done. The best way I can describe it is to think of it as a fairly conservative remaster (same assets, but better frame-rate and resolution), bundled with about a year or two's worth of smaller content and quality-of-life patches.

Its just a much better experience than the original because of this. Do not sleep on this upgrade because there's not much in the way of obvious "expansion" elements beyond the side-stuff, especially if you've played it before I think you'll be surprised how often you encounter something unfamiliar and think "oh, this is new".
The native 4k 60fps ultrawide presentation is one of the most beautiful things I saw. Landscapes are jaw dropping.

THIS!

I never played Ghost of Tsushima on PS4 and actually held out on playing it until a PS5 patch was released.

I've been playing it on my PS5 on a 4K HDR TV and good lord this game is eye melting, the foliage rendering, the character and environmental designs, the colour palette and the splendid 60 FPS to top it off.

Really one of the most beautiful games I have ever played, the HDR along with the dramatic contrast option give the colours on this game a depth and vibrance I've never seen before.

Also this amazing soundtrack!

Top Bottom