• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The MSX Nostalgia thread – A return to the cradle of Solid Snake

9HdXkQQ.jpg

The thread title was supposed to be "The MSX Nostalgia thread – A return to the cradle of Solid Snake and the Belmont family whip", but that was too long for GAF (and rightfully so :))

Anyway, with all the retro threads popping up on GAF nowadays, I thought I might as well contribute to the nostalgia wave myself. And since my early days as a gamer were dominated by the MSX and the MSX2, that was the obvious choice to do a thread about. Other retro threads can be found here.

K4M0fzk.jpg

Developed by Microsoft and ASCII Corporation in an attempt to create unified standards for home computers, the MSX* was the paramount 8-bit home computer architecture of the 1980s in Japan. A long list of manufacturers were involved in the project, including Sony, Philips, Sanyo, Toshiba, Panasonic, Casio, Pioneer, JVC, Samsung and Mitsubishi, and each one of them released their own take on MSX computing. Roughly 5 million of these 8-bit machines were sold on the Japanese market in between 1983 and 1995. The MSX was not only successful in Japan however. It was also a leading platform in countries such as Russia, Brazil, Spain, Argentina and the Netherlands. It never took off in the US or UK however, and thus failed to become the worldwide standard.

The Holy Grail

tNTWWMX.jpg

The Philips NMS 8280, a high end MSX2 system featuring 2 floppy drives.

During its lifetime the MSX standard evolved, which resulted in 4 different generations: MSX, MSX2, MSX2+ and MSX Turbo-R. A fifth generation, the MSX3, has been in development, but never came into existence. All the newer generations were backwards compatible with their predecessors. The last generation, the MSX Turbo-R, was only produced by Panasonic and only released in Japan. It is regarded as the Holy Grail of the MSX collector nowadays (and therefore quite expensive). Though this is mainly because it’s rare, not so much because of the added value to for instance games.

If you don’t own an MSX system yet and this thread got you interested, but you find it difficult to pick one of the many MSXs on the second hand market, you might want to check out Noisepurge’s buyer’s guide here.

Gaming peripherals

While you can play all MSX games with (the arrow keys on) the keyboard, you might also want to look into getting a joystick/gamepad for it. Especially for multiplayer gaming, these come in handy. It might be a bit hard nowadays to get a good and working joystick though.

The Arcade and QuickShot Maverick 1 joysticks said:

Games for MSX systems were released on cassette, floppy disk and cartridge. To play the cassette games, you will be needing a cassette player peripheral (and a lot of patience, because of the huge loading times). Not all MSX systems feature a floppy drive, so if you want to play any of the floppy disk games, you might want to take that into account as well.

(*) The meaning of the acronym is subject to debate. It could be MicroSoft eXtended, or Machines with Software eXchangeability, or weirdly enough it could’ve been named after the MX missile (a US ballistic missile).

peAmSM1.jpg

SNAKE?! SNAAAAKE!!!!

Before the NES/Famicom became a true juggernaut in Japan/the world and consequently found its place in the heart of many a GAFer, the MSX was thé platform for major Japanese developers such as Konami and Hudson Soft (RIP) to develop and release their games for. As a result some great franchises in gaming were initially established on the MSX: Aleste, Zanac, Bomberman, Penguin Adventure, Eggerland (probably better known as Adventures of Lolo), Parodius, F1 Spirit and Puyo Puyo.

The most notable “MSX original series” is without a doubt the Metal Gear franchise, which had 2 installments on the platform, Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.

What is a man whip?

Several other great game franchises had installments (which were often not simply ports, but unique versions with distinguishing features) on the system: Contra, Dragon Quest, Dragon Slayer, Final Fantasy, Gradius/Nemesis (and Salamander), R-Type, Wizardry, Xak and Ys. Also Kojima-san’s cult hit Snatcher and its spin-off SD Snatcher were released on MSX.

Most notable among these is Vampire Killer. Released just one month after the original Castlevania for Famicom/NES, this game was developed simultaneously by Konami. It thus shares most of the backgrounds, music and enemies. Contrary to Castlevania (Famicom) however, Vampire Killer has a much more non-linear design, similar to the first Metroid, which was released in the same year (1986). As such it was the first true Metroidvania style game in the Castlevania franchise. Vampire Killer already contained several unique features such as merchants and hidden keys to doors and chests, that were only introduced on Nintendo systems in Castlevania 2 and later in Symphony of the Night.

Sources: Wikipedia , Splash Wave Youtube channel

Pcu3gYA.jpg

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

This game is probably the pinnacle of MSX gaming. It’s classic Kojima and classic Metal Gear: witty, breaking the 4th wall here and there, and already a little convoluted story wise. The stealth element is also a lot more firmly present in this game than in its predecessor. Other than that it still looks nothing short of great graphically. Not to mention that the MSX and more specifically the Sound Custom Chip (SCC) built into Konami’s cartridges did wonders for these 8-bit soundtracks.

Now, if you want to actually play this game on an MSX, that might prove to be hard. Not only has the game never been released outside of Japan for MSX. Even if your Japanese is good enough to enjoy the game to its fullest in its original language, it’s really expensive (like 200 euro / US$250) to get a hold of a copy. Fortunately, the game has been translated and released in the Western world as part of Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2) as well as the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (PS3/XBOX360/PSVITA). So there’s no excuse not to play it at least once on another platform.

The excellent game intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEcqLrvIZko
Game overview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJoIjDe97Vw

Knightmare

This game is a vertical scrolling shooter. You’re a knight that is out to save the day, and (ofcourse) the princess. A tough cookie, this one, but sooo good! Should be rather easy (and fairly cheap) to get a copy of this one.

Game overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skzA06bQ5zs

Gradius (aka Nemesis)

A classic arcade game that’s also been ported to MSX. It’s a horizontal-scrolling shoot’em up, for those unfamiliar with the franchise.

Game overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TB3j8rlQrU

Pippols

Another vertical scrolling shooter, this game has a somewhat kiddy look, and it’s probably also one of the easiest shoot ‘em ups out on the system. The game has branching paths, which was fairly advanced in 1985.
What’s also original about it is that you have to make your way through the levels both from the bottom-up and top-down.

Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gajB0qzx6U

Hi no Tori Hououhen (Firebird/Phoenix)

Hi no Tori is a game based on the fifth chapter of Osamu Tezuka's famous “Hi no Tori” manga. You play as a one armed man traversing through Japan. It’s also a vertical scrolling shooter, reminiscent of Knightmare, but one with some unusual twists. First of all the levels have several screens that run parallel from each other. You can switch between the paths by exiting the screen on the left or right sides of the screen. In addition, the game's six stages are laid out in a labyrinthine way, adding puzzle elements to the mix. In order to find, reach and defeat the game's final boss, the player will have to travel back and forth between the various stages to obtain a large assortment of keys. These keys then allow access to parts of other stages, even earlier ones. This traveling between the stages is highly unusual for a shoot 'em up. Hi no Tori was only released in Japan, but it’s very playable even if you don’t speak the language.

Game overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYeek5Y0mQA

(The Treasure of) Uşas

Uşas has become somewhat of a forgotten gem in the MSX library. It’s a platform game where you can play alternatingly as two characters, Wit and Cles, who each have their own specific skills. By touching icons you can even change their moods which also changes their powers.

Game overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkVjNI0MRWI

Space Manbow

Another horizontal scrolling shoot ‘em up. Sadly, this one was never released outside of Japan. It’s the only sidescrolling shooter specifically made for the MSX2+, and it shows graphically. Space Manbow is generally considered one of the best sidescrolling shooters on the system. There’s a fanmade sequel to this game, which was also released on cartridge.

Game overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71xD9LyJm90

Quarth

Quarth is a puzzle/shoot ‘em up hybrid, that is reminiscent of both Tetris and Space Invaders. There are two multiplayer modes in this game: a cooperative one and a splitscreen one.

Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghRAw-jWITE

Metal Gear

A little rougher around the edges than Metal Gear 2, the original game shows how Kojima-san already had a good idea in 1987 about what would become Metal Gear Solid eleven years later, in 1998. If only it had been feasible technically back then… And even then the game was ahead of its time. The stealth mechanics are barebone in this one though, and the limited saving opportunities make it extremely punishing and somewhat frustrating at times.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I've seen MSX cartridges that really look a lot like Famicom/Sega console carts. Do all MSX have the slot for this, or just a certain type?

EDIT: I am a game recommendation sandwich ;P

Vampire Killer

The second Castlevania game ever released. Released just one month after the original Castlevania for Famicom/NES, this game was developed simultaneously by Konami. It thus shares most of the backgrounds, music and enemies. Contrary to Castlevania (Famicom) however, Vampire Killer has a much more non-linear design, similar to the first Metroid, which was released in the same year (1986). As such it was the first true Metroidvania style game in the Castlevania franchise. Vampire Killer already contained several unique features such as merchants and hidden keys to doors and chests, that were only introduced on Nintendo systems in Castlevania 2 and later in Symphony of the Night.

Game overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hBrY07JV4s

Penguin Adventure

This is the first game Hideo Kojima ever worked on. It’s an action adventure that features some RPG elements: boss fights, purchasable items, and several mini-games. Penguin Adventure is the sequel to Antarctic Adventure, which is also an enjoyable game. It’s just not as rich in content.

Game overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCpQys5Rf9A

Knightmare 2: The Maze of Galious

In this platform adventure you can play alternatingly as Popolon or Aphrodite. Both characters play in a slightly different way, but in the end the extra character just means you have an extra life. The indie game La Mulana, which was recently (May 2013) released on Steam, is a tribute to The Maze of Galious.

Game overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczSIuB2J68

Salamander

Another excellent shoot ‘em up that is both horizontal and vertical scrolling. Originally an arcade game, it was ported to MSX and underwent a good deal of changes in the process. New to this port is a graphical introduction that introduces human pilots for each ship, as well as names for each stage. The levels are notably longer than the arcade original, and the player(s) is(are) forced to start from a pre-defined checkpoint upon death of either pilot, instead of starting where he/she left off. After level two, the player can choose the order of the next three stages. In addition, the player can collect "E" capsules by destroying certain enemies. Collecting fifteen will permanently upgrade one of the available weapons on the power-up bar. Some weapons allow the player ships to merge, one player controlling movements and the second player controlling weapons. Instead of the Vic Viper and the Lord British Space Destroyer, the ships are known as the Sabel Tiger and the Thrasher; piloted by human characters named Iggy Rock and Zowie Scott. The story takes place in the year 6709 A.D and has 2 different endings.

Game overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuNvkuYR1lg

Nemesis 2 (aka Gradius 2)

Nemesis 2 was made specifically for the MSX system. It’s not a port from the arcade game Gradius II. This sequel is very similar to the original game, with some slight gameplay enhancements. It also feels a little more polished.

Game overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bip1FoS15eE

King’s Valley 2: The Seal of El Giza

The King’s Valley games are puzzle/platformer hybrids. The second installment was a little heavier on the puzzle side, and the graphics were improved over the first one. King’s Valley 2 also comes with a level editor. Some of the game music of King’s Valley 2 has been reused in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin and Castlevania: Harmony of Despair.

Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLsJx9r0ICc

Road Fighter

This was the first ever car racing game by Konami. It debuted on arcade, but was also ported to MSX. Watch out for the tricky pink cars! ;-)

Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kfG6nQPRgQ

F-1 Spirit: The Way To Formula-1

The game engine is very similar to Road Fighter, but F-1 Spirit outclasses Road Fighter on many levels. It features an excellent sound track that fits the gameplay well.

Game overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zhpQyQC3O8

Other noteworthy games:

Nemesis 3: Eve of Destruction, Parodius, Aleste, Aleste II, The Goonies, Zanac, Zanac Ex, Laydock, Laydock II, Yie Ar Kung Fu, Yie Ar Kung Fu 2: The Emperor Yie-Gah, Eggerland Mystery, Eggerland Mystery 2, King’s Valley, King Kong 2, SD Snatcher, Ganbare Goemon: Karakuri Dōchū, TNT, 1942, Golvellius 2, Ys 2, Gandhara Buddha no Seisen, …

There’s also a ton of (rudimentary yet) enjoyable sports games: Hyper Olympic, Hyper Olympic 2, Hyper Sports, Hyper Sports II, Hyper Sports III, Konami’s Tennis, Konami’s Ping Pong, Konami’s Soccer, Konami’s Boxing, …

Vinnk

Just got a Panasonic MSX2+ A1 with FD. Actually my brother in law found it (and a Famicom Disk System) whole cleaning his house. Knowing I liked retro games, he said I could just have it.

LsUXUwS.jpg

Just gotta clean it up and make it look pretty.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Afaik all MSX's have at least one cartridge slot.

Thanks!

I'll be watching this thread... I really think MSX is the missing piece of so many game enthusiasts' knowledge (especially if you're a Konami fan)

I also know Gradius (Nemesis?) has a unique history, here...

Wasn't really Microsoft Japan that developed it - Microsoft didn't have a proper Japanese branch until 86 or so, and it had no involvement with the MSX.

The MSX was developed by a Japanese company, ASCII, which entered into a joint venture with Microsoft to represent the latter in Japan. It was always their baby (even if they did get MS to write the OS), and after Microsoft Japan opened, the two split and ASCII took custody of the MSX standard with it.

Anyway, a friend of mine had a MSX machine. Lots of fun destroying the keyboard playing Hyper Sports III, and failing at Knightmare.

I played Metal Gear 2 as part of the HD MGS Collection. Amazing game. One of the best 8 bit games ever made. It was so good that when Kojima did Metal Gear Solid on the PS1, he took so many gameplay and story elements from MG2 that MGS is practically a remake of it.

So, any games I forgot to mention?

BlackLagoon said:
Wasn't really Microsoft Japan that developed it - Microsoft didn't have a proper Japanese branch until 86 or so, and it had no involvement with the MSX.

The MSX was developed by a Japanese company, ASCII, which entered into a joint venture with Microsoft to represent the latter in Japan. It was always their baby (even if they did get MS to write the OS), and after Microsoft Japan opened, the two split and ASCII took custody of the MSX standard with it.

Microsoft developed the operating system (MSX-DOS, MSX-BASIC).

Edit: sorry, I didn't read your post very well, you had already mentioned that.

Anyway, the relations between Microsoft Japan and ASCII were close back then and they both wanted it to become a worldwide standard.

Vinnk

Awesome thread OP. I hope it gets notice.

You should show some pics of how the Namcot games had a large hole going through them. I always thought that looked cool.

Great thread! I've loved the Msx for as long as I can remember (it was my first console/computer). Maze of Galious is still one of my favourite games. There was a lot of Konami magic to be found in the eighties!

halfbeast

Banned
sorry for being a little off topic, but does someone remember what the quarth-clone(?) was called on the amiga? I remember it had some sweet music!

Awesome thread OP. I hope it gets notice.

You should show some pics of how the Namcot games had a large hole going through them. I always thought that looked cool.

I don't have any of those carts myself. But I assume you are referring to these?

wVsHtrN.jpg

(found on Ebay)

Konami cartridges have holes in them too, btw, as you can see here:

The earlier models of Konami cartridges also had a ribbed notch to one side.

Firebrand

Got one of these lying around somewhere:
zBKZqSx.jpg

I think it's just MSX1, and PAL as well, so I can imagine there aren't a ton of games available for it. The ones I have are some events from Track & Field 1, Nemesis and Nemesis 2.

Mostly used it for BASIC, but I didn't have a tape or disk device so I had to re-type everything from paper each time :p

pottuvoi

Banned
Those countless hours we spent on Elite and nemesis2, good times. :)
Loved the idea of flying into the boss while it's destruction to get into hidden stage for a more powerful weapons.

Got one of these lying around somewhere:
zBKZqSx.jpg

I think it's just MSX1, and PAL as well, so I can imagine there aren't a ton of games available for it. The ones I have are some events from Track & Field 1, Nemesis and Nemesis 2.

Mostly used it for BASIC, but I didn't have a tape or disk device so I had to re-type everything from paper each time :p

The MSX is region free. The only Japanese cart that I read somewhere doesn't work on PAL systems is Metal Gear (1).

Also, there are a lot of excellent games that don't require an MSX2 (including Nemesis 1 and 2, King's Valley 1 and 2, F-1 Spirit, The Goonies, ...). A list can be found here.

Microsoft developed the operating system (MSX-DOS, MSX-BASIC).

Edit: sorry, I didn't read your post very well, you had already mentioned that.

Anyway, the relations between Microsoft Japan and ASCII were close back then and they both wanted it to become a worldwide standard.
The "had no involvement" bit was about Microsoft Japan which was founded in 1986. Before that Microsoft didn't have a direct presence in Japan, rather they were represented by ASCII, apparently under the moniker "ASCII Microsoft". Microsoft proper in the US did develop the OS, but beyond that there doesn't seem to be any evidence that they had much involvement or interest in the MSX. They certainly didn't do much for it in their home market - the US.

Anyway, just remembered this crazy fan patch to Knightmare I came across a little while ago, called Knightmare Gold. Adds some spruced up effects and some pretty spiffy remixed CD audio. Apparently it will actually run on a CDROM equipped MSX.

Best 8-bit system of all-time.

I had this Philips VG-8235 I think:

Usas deserves a HD-remake btw.

And it had these gems (some of them are my favorite games ever):

Zanac-Ex The best version of Zanac, unfortunately not in the Zanac collection on PS1 and PSN

hqdefault.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-khLPMpJRjw

SD- Snatcher, a 2D top-down RPG version of Snatcher (I want a new Vita version, really!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2Bb34ZoI7s

Snatcher (no introduction necessary)

120152-snatcher-msx-screenshot-the-hero-gillian-seeds.gif

Hyper Rally, Great Konami racing game and HARD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QjxF2b20D4

Undeadline Great game, later also on Genesis I think but this version was way better!

1046b.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv22u2ajisw

Aleste 2 Great shooter game from Compile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OugPDO9sp9s

Best 8-bit system of all-time.

Never played any of the Zanac games. And I had actually never heard of Undeadline (shame on me).

There are some other shmups that got an MSX release that I didn't mention but that are pretty enjoyable as well, like Sky Jaguar, Twin Bee, Volguard, Time Pilot, Bosconian, Galaga, River Raid, ...

Hyper Rally is indeed quite unforgiving... but many games from that era are.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Our neighbor worked for Philips when I was young, and had great prices (I guess) for Philips computers, so I had all of them.
I went from VG5000 (horrible) -> MSX1 (can't remember the model) -> MSX2 (VG8235).
The MSX2 was my sole computer/console for years and years. My parents always refused to by me consoles, only computers, so I went straight from MSX2 to PC, missing the NES/SNES/Megadrive generations completely.
I knew no one who owned a MSX, so I was completely on my own to get games. Since I had very little allowance from my parents and games were something like 300 to 400 francs each, I could afford 1 or at best 2 games a year if I didn't by anything else at all.
"Thankfully" there was very little choice for MSX games available in France outside of Paris (basically only FNAC shops carried MSX games, and even very few). But at least there were some gems in there:
- F1 Spirit (by far my favorite MSX game, with *awesome* music)
- Metal Gear
- Penguin Adventure
- Vampire Killer (sadly it would crash randomly on the VG8235...)
- And a few more that weren't bad games I guess : Yie Ar Kung Fu, Konami's soccer and ping pong games...

I had a friend in the neighborhood with a Japanese mother, and he went to his family one summer and brought me back Nemesis 3. Awesome game, but damn the black holes level was difficult!

I was quite young when I was playing on the MSX, so I had no idea that people didn't have AZERTY keyboards outside of France. It made password entry basically impossible for years, making F1 Spirit a very interesting challenge since I had to play it in one sitting. I remember unlocking up to the 5th formula one track like this :)

Had a Sanyo MSX back in 1986.

MPC64.JPG

Was impossible to get any proper games for it though, so I buggered my parents to get a C64 and never looked back, to be honest... ;)

Programming in Basic and doing some Sprite animation stuff on it was quite fine though.

Sorral

We had this MSX called Sakhr (means Rock) and I remember my late dad bringing one home without telling us as a surprise:

6h6iU8wiGHfcPR03qfWzdRcKc2o0Q.jpg

There was several iterations, but I think the AX170 was the most common one. The AX230 was the next common although I think the price tags drove people away from it to the 170.
We tried to use controllers with it all the time. Some of the Atari ones worked while I think none of the NES ones worked with it.

A lot of great games mentioned in here. The Castle deserves a mention though:

6h6jlrw7ulNwsRBUtusjti7TIGSxv.jpg

6h6jpFuOdPXZgAgjTBaMkj6fGgG4d.jpg

Someone may consider this one to be spoilery as it shows the whole game's map, so click on your own:
http://ft.trillian.im/989f090fa7f24841d750ee5913a9c2e8f24edb59/6h6jrQyVkzYXRUTBAOkuE6k8EQog5.jpg

Our neighbor worked for Philips when I was young, and had great prices (I guess) for Philips computers, so I had all of them.
I went from VG5000 (horrible) -> MSX1 (can't remember the model) -> MSX2 (VG8235).
The MSX2 was my sole computer/console for years and years. My parents always refused to by me consoles, only computers, so I went straight from MSX2 to PC, missing the NES/SNES/Megadrive generations completely.
I knew no one who owned a MSX, so I was completely on my own to get games. Since I had very little allowance from my parents and games were something like 300 to 400 francs each, I could afford 1 or at best 2 games a year if I didn't by anything else at all.
"Thankfully" there was very little choice for MSX games available in France outside of Paris (basically only FNAC shops carried MSX games, and even very few). But at least there were some gems in there:
- F1 Spirit (by far my favorite MSX game, with *awesome* music)
- Metal Gear
- Penguin Adventure
- Vampire Killer (sadly it would crash randomly on the VG8235...)
- And a few more that weren't bad games I guess : Yie Ar Kung Fu, Konami's soccer and ping pong games...

I had a friend in the neighborhood with a Japanese mother, and he went to his family one summer and brought me back Nemesis 3. Awesome game, but damn the black holes level was difficult!

I was quite young when I was playing on the MSX, so I had no idea that people didn't have AZERTY keyboards outside of France. It made password entry basically impossible for years, making F1 Spirit a very interesting challenge since I had to play it in one sitting. I remember unlocking up to the 5th formula one track like this :)

"My story" is similar. Only my dad worked as an engineer at Philips. We had (and still have) a VG8020, an NMS 8250 and an NMS 8280.

My brother and I played hours and hours of Konami's Soccer together. My favourite games back then were Nemesis, Knightmare, Penguin Adventure and Metal Gear. I also played Yie Ar Kung Fu past stage 100 and quit because I got bored. :)

Sorral said:
We had this MSX called Sakhr (means Rock):

There was several iterations, but I think the AX170 was the most common one. The AX230 was the next common although I think the price tags drove people a way from it to the 170.

A lot of great games mentioned in here. The Castle deserves a mention though:

I think those Arab MSXs have gotten quite rare nowadays, and thus pricey.

I've played The Castle for a bit. Found it very difficult and never got very far in it.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Hotbit_HB8000_System_2.jpg

Ah, my very first computer. I got it as a gift when I was a kid with Yie Ar Kung Fu and H.E.R.O. cartridges. This brings me memories, so much good games for the MSX1.

Never had the chance to upgrade to the MSX+/2/Turbo R, though.

Sorral

"My story" is similar. Only my dad worked as an engineer at Philips. We had (and still have) a VG8020, an NMS 8250 and an NMS 8280.

My brother and I played hours and hours of Konami's Soccer together. My favourite games back then were Nemesis, Knightmare, Penguin Adventure and Metal Gear. I also played Yie Ar Kung Fu past stage 100 and quite because I got bored. :)

I think those Arab MSXs have gotten quite rare nowadays, and thus pricey.

I've played The Castle for a bit. Found it very difficult and never got very far in it.

Yeah, they were expensive even back in the day in the 1980s as each would cost over $200 or more. I think we had ours at or around 1990-1991 as I actually have memory of the thing. The NES and Megadrive not too long after.

The Castle wasn't easy at all and I have never gotten around to finishing it. I think my uncle did, but it was very hard and took a long time for him to do so. The puzzles and areas were impressive for the time though.

Yeah, they were expensive even back in the day in the 1980s as each would cost over $200 or more. I think we had ours at or around 1990-1991 as I actually have memory of the thing. The NES and Megadrive not too long after.

The Castle wasn't easy at all and I have never gotten around to finishing it. I think my uncle did, but it was very hard and took a long time for him to do so. The puzzles and areas were impressive for the time though.

$250-$300 now. :)

Link to ended eBay auction

Sorral

That's quite nice and cheaper than back then once accounted for inflation. Those things live up to their name (Sakhr = Rock) and I think ours would still work if I plugged it in. I should someone at home to try that even though I am in the US right now.

Damnit, I want to play Penguin Adventure now. D:

MG:SS 1 & 2 sound tracks as I just had to go look them up because of the nostalgia.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wowwwww

We have an MSX thread now, but not an N64 thread.

Good.

I'd never buy an MSX, but it's definitely one of the more interesting systems to learn about.

That's quite nice and cheaper than back then once accounted for inflation. Those things live up to their name (Sakhr = Rock) and I think ours would still work if I plugged it in. I should someone at home to try that even though I am in the US right now.

Damnit, I want to play Penguin Adventure now. D:

MG:SS 1 & 2 sound tracks as I just had to go look them up because of the nostalgia.

I put the music of Hi no Tori on once in a while.

So good!

Chacranajxy said:
Wowwwww

We have an MSX thread now, but not an N64 thread.

Good.

I'd never buy an MSX, but it's definitely one of the more interesting systems to learn about.

I promise I won't keep you from making an N64 thread! ;-)

Never had one myself, and I don't feel a lot of nostalgia about the early 3D polygonal modelling either.

Edit: there IS an N64 appreciation thread.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
No "Venom Strikes Back" love? One of the best theme songs, at least among my collection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5UabrI6GFM

I never did actually finish it (or, you know, properly played it). I had my MSX when I was really young and didn't know english/wasn't very good at games.

I don't have the system or the games anymore. I always wondered if Venom Strikes Back would hold up now that I know how to play video games.

Also, 60hz is where it's at: That's why I posted a video of the game audio being played on a player, as most videos on YouTube are from the 50hz version.

My favorite piece of music was the intro music of SD Snatcher, awesome with that Konami SCC Sound Chip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=122X0sz7pyU

Anyway, for people overwhelmed with nostalgia or MSX virgins should check out FMSX-PSP, a GREAT msx emulator for the PSP. I play it very often.

Also, listen to this man and play gems like Galaga and Bosconian from Namco in a time on-disc DLC didn't exist...

There are some other shmups that got an MSX release that I didn't mention but that are pretty enjoyable as well, like Sky Jaguar, Twin Bee, Volguard, Time Pilot, Bosconian, Galaga, River Raid, ...

Argh, I completely forgot 'Laydock'. Laydock was the only game in the series that was for the more advanced MSX2. After it, Laydock2 and Super Laydock got released, but the original Laydock was the best in the series. It also featured really a GREAT co-op mode and is one of my favorite shooters of all-time!

Laydock1.gif

images

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkJdxMU_LpI

Another must-play classic is Compile's 'Gorby's Pipeline'.
This is a nice puzzle game and in fact just like the hacking minigame from Bioshock 1,
featuring Russian music and Gorbatjov on the title menu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmcQ308E3Rs

Argh, I completely forgot 'Laydock'. Laydock was the only game in the series that was for the more advanced MSX2. After it, Laydock2 and Super Laydock got released, but the original Laydock was the best in the series. It also featured really a GREAT co-op mode and is one of my favorite shooters of all-time!

I agree and had embarrassingly completely forgotten about it too, but Laydock is awesome.

Yes Boss!

It is worth noting that 15 MSX titles have been released on the Japan Virtual Console. Mostly Konami catalog but some gems in there like Space Manbow, Aleste, Knightmare.

Yes Boss!

Can you actually buy them through a US or Euro Wii?

You have to have a japanese Wii. I'm guessing there might be other ways with homebrew or something, not sure.

Also, there are some GAfers with the 1 Chip MSX that came out a few years. I've wanted one of those for a bit. Very rare and pricey now, though.

You have to have a japanese Wii. I'm guessing there might be other ways with homebrew or something, not sure.

Also, there are some GAfers with the 1 Chip MSX that came out a few years. I've wanted one of those for a bit. Very rare and pricey now, though.

Well, getting an MSX is cheaper. :)

Getting the games might be more expensive though. Especially Space Manbow.

I read a while ago (can't remember where, probably msx.org) that some Koreans are working on a new 1 Chip MSX. So you might get another chance to pick one up.

Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake is my favorite Metal Gear.
as outdated as it is I actually enjoyed it even more than the Solids.

THANK you.

No really thank you. I don't care that it could be viewed as nostalgia goggles or whatever. MG 2 is my favorite. The OST is sublime too.. gotta love the track "Red Sun".. so somber. I bought the MG Red remix disc they did a few years back too.

Yes Boss!

Well, getting an MSX is cheaper. :)

Getting the games might be more expensive though. Especially Space Manbow.

I read a while ago (can't remember where, probably msx.org) that some Koreans are working on a new 1 Chip MSX. So you might get another chance to pick one up.

That would be good, a new 1 Chip. Last one I saw was on eBay from a seller in Saudi and he wanted $500. Which is ironic because my only hands-on with an actual MSX was at a Dutch friend's house when I was living in Saudi in the eighties.

I am going to make a good faith effort to locate a 1 Chip in Tokyo. Or, at the very least an actual console like unit. I really don't like the NES but this is an 8-Bit I would very much like to explore. Space Manbow is not supposed to be as jerky-scrolling in the actual cart as it is on the Wii VC.

THANK you.

No really thank you. I don't care that it could be viewed as nostalgia goggles or whatever. MG 2 is my favorite. The OST is sublime too.. gotta love the track "Red Sun".. so somber. I bought the MG Red remix disc they did a few years back too.
It wasn't nostalgia for me, I played it after Solid1 & 2

Top Bottom