• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Multiformat Artshots Thread (formerly part of the PC screenshots thread)

I'm assuming there's no equivalent setting for DX10 Nvidia cards. Half the trees look good and the other half - foreground trees, basically - just don't get any AA at all. I can ramp it up to 4xSGSSAA but the image loses its definition and looks even worse.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheOctagon said:
I'm assuming there's no equivalent setting for DX10 Nvidia cards. Half the trees look good and the other half - foreground trees, basically - just don't get any AA at all. I can ramp it up to 4xSGSSAA but the image loses its definition and looks even worse.
I'll grab some shots when I get home. I'm not sure how it does look good, because the trees in Half-Life 2 aren't effected at all as you just described.

Okay, I've solved it. Turns out I was combining 8xS Combined (1x2SS + 4xMS) with SGSSAA in the transparency section, where I should have been using standard TRAA. Trees are sorted now, which hangs a substantial portion of some 100 screenshots over the dustbin. I have sorted my dedicated server out now with all 8 survivors in play and both L4D and L4D2 maps running through the L4D2 client, though, so why not?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheOctagon said:
Okay, I've solved it. Turns out I was combining 8xS Combined (1x2SS + 4xMS) with SGSSAA in the transparency section, where I should have been using standard TRAA. Trees are sorted now, which hangs a substantial portion of some 100 screenshots over the dustbin. I have sorted my dedicated server out now with all 8 survivors in play and both L4D and L4D2 maps running through the L4D2 client, though, so why not?
I took ~1000 screens when I played through Metroid: Other M on Dolphin and threw out 80% :( I hate the little flaws you notice as you go through screens.

Blizzard said:
You took the trouble of removing all of your L4D1 shots in favor of the L4D2 engine featuring L4D1 survivors? :p

More the complete lack of antialiasing on vegetation. Fixed now. I kept all the ones without leaves. :D

Speaking ill of Source just shows a spectacular ignorance of aesthetics, whether in videogames or not. The texture fidelity is consistently high at a time when other engines wilfully give it up, the character designs show no sign whatsoever of being compromised by the technology, the performance and stability are exemplary, there's never a foot placed in the uncanny valley, and there's little by way of awkward rendering techniques to damage the IQ. The only engine I'd compare it to on a consumer level would be MT Framework. And when you throw in Valve's apparent process - the way the art teams seem able to dictate terms to the engineers - you could argue that many Source games look peerless.

And then you have Dark Messiah Of Might And Magic, one of the most unstable games I've ever played.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheOctagon said:
And then you have Dark Messiah Of Might And Magic, one of the most unstable games I've ever played.
I loved that game but it was glitchy as fuck. I can't even get it to boot up anymore. But it look damn pretty at times.

jediyoshi

Took these with the in game screenshot option (actual size) back when my PS3 was hooked up to an SDTV. It only outputs HD shots when you're playing in HD ]:

uncharted2_amongthievegomm.jpg

uncharted2_amongthievedqza.jpg

And the requirements! The arrogance it took to suggest that 2gb RAM was in any way the standard back then, which even then didn't stop the game crashing and chugging like it was going out of fashion.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
They really should include screenshot features to console games that allow you to have the screen rendered out at higher resolutions. Especially if the game has a replay mode.

I was totally about to say that, though it did occur to me that maybe they don't want 'unrepresentative' quality levels being thrown about the internet. They get enough flak for bullshots as it is. Still a shame, though.

...and what am I talking about? Of course they'd want bullshots flying about.

Stallion Free said:
They really should include screenshot features to console games that allow you to have the screen rendered out at higher resolutions. Especially if the game has a replay mode.

That's what Gran Turismo 5 does. It can render up to 5760×3240 then (presumably) down samples. I have a feeling this thread will become inundated with GT5 shots come November 2nd.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
LabouredSubterfuge said:
That's what Gran Turismo 5 does. It can render up to 5760×3240 then (presumably) down samples. I have a feeling this thread will become inundated with GT5 shots come November 2nd.
I don't trust the game doing the downsampling, I want the raw 3240p in bmp form so I can do the downsampling myself in Adobe.

John

derFeef said:
I always assume that they never actually play Source powered games.
I always just assume it's because they can run a game looking like TheOctagon's shots at over 200 FPS with a mid-range machine :p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
John said:
I always just assume it's because they can run a game looking like TheOctagon's shots at over 200 FPS with a mid-range machine :p
Let's not start making shit up here. A mid-range machine could pretty much do 60 fps 90% of the time at 1080p/8x AA to match Ocatgon's shots when downsampled. I had a relatively high-end machine and I average 100-150 at those settings.

Stallion Free said:
I don't trust the game doing the downsampling, I want the raw 3240p in bmp form so I can do the downsampling myself in Adobe.

I don't know if the game does do the downsampling for the user, I was merely speculating. Certainly there are full 18MP renders out there so we know the game can output that raw render.

John

Stallion Free said:
Let's not start making shit up here. A mid-range machine could pretty much do 60 fps 90% of the time at 1080p/8x AA to match Ocatgon's shots when downsampled. I had a relatively high-end machine and I average 100-150 at those settings.
I guess I just stop looking at the FPS counter when things start heating up, on count of, well, all the zombies.

MNC

Those L4D shots.... WOW. I love you longtime Source Engine. And I really need to get a better PC/laptop to play games high ended :lol
The smoker made me exclaim a might holy shit. Is there somewhere I can check the comparisons/upgrades from L4D1 to L4D2 SI?

JB1981

I don't understand, are these shots indicative of the ACTUAL quality of the game being played? I have a hard time believing that the games look THAT GODDAMN GOOD in 1080p mode. What framerate is the game running at?

JB1981 said:
I don't understand, are these shots indicative of the ACTUAL quality of the game being played? I have a hard time believing that the games look THAT GODDAMN GOOD in 1080p mode. What framerate is the game running at?

Certainly does, at 60+ fps too.

Absolutely loving those shots Octagon :D

L4D2 has a cheat that lets you slow down the physics on certain things. What it boiled down to was being able to take super-slo-mo shots of zombies gibbing. I'd love to see what you could do with that, Octagon.

Top Bottom