• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Multiformat Artshots Thread (formerly part of the PC screenshots thread)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheOctagon said:
Your definition of good is going to need some explaining there. I think it looks lovely despite lacking just about all the technical visual traits of a modern PC game. I'd sooner a modded, fully anti-aliased New Vegas than the jaggie-ridden/edge AA'd version of Red Dead Redemption we'd probably get.
Yeah, I'm just rolling through the game with 1080p/8x AA, maxed settings and I think the game looks great 90% of the time on my TV. 60 fps feels really good in the game too. Climbing up hills to look across the wasteland never gets old.

The shots you took look great, I look forward to the whole set dropping.

Be sure to disable the in-game transparency AA settings and ideally force SGSSAA. I've no idea what weird transparency method they use but it adds this gross hatching to all the complex geometry. And those power lines are still quite aliased even with the above. But it makes a massive difference when the image is so clean.

5144504251_3ba05a0776_b.jpg

5144503739_01bc145521_b.jpg

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
TheOctagon said:
Your definition of good is going to need some explaining there. I think it looks lovely despite lacking just about all the technical visual traits of a modern PC game. I'd sooner a modded, fully anti-aliased New Vegas than the jaggie-ridden/edge AA'd version of Red Dead Redemption we'd probably get.

I am sorry I am a little confused. Are you saying that Red Dead Redemption would've been jaggie ridden if it came to PCs or are you saying that the version that is coming (and I am not aware of any PC version) will probably be jaggie ridden?

kittoo said:
I am sorry I am a little confused. Are you saying that Red Dead Redemption would've been jaggie ridden if it came to PCs or are you saying that the version that is coming (and I am not aware of any PC version) will probably be jaggie ridden?

I'm making the not-ridiculous assumption that RDR would be a DX9 port that was heavily dependent on deferred rendering, meaning it had no better anti-aliasing than GTA IV. No anti-aliasing at all, in other words, beyond whatever IQ-destroying fudge they tried to fob us off with.

Speaking of destroying IQ, is there even a remotely decent reason why Halo Reach takes 1080p tiledshots that look like they've been run through a photocopier? I mean, presumably the excuse for Bungie Pro is that you're paying their server and bandwidth costs, so...?

Nice Uncharted pics. Shame it's another victim of postage-stamp-or-bust console IQ, though.

Time for an anecdote about anti-aliasing in Fallout New Vegas, which I'm sure you'll find riveting. One thing that's annoyed me ever since FO3 came out was being unable to force full-scene anti-aliasing in any way, shape or form. Supersampling, MSAA, TRAA: all had varied degrees of success on various parts of the image, but generally ran the gamut from no AA at all to occasional smooth lines. Pylons and power lines, of which FO3 has bazillions, looked universally awful.

I've been playing FONV at 8xSGSSAA simply because that was the highest setting available, but even that was plagued by IQ issues. Then, last night, I installed this depth of field mod as I heard it had a nice, subtle effect, and BING, suddenly I'm getting full scene anti-aliasing. The difference is incredible. Everything just gels in a way I've never seen in a Bethesda RPG...

5158749619_d74736101e_o.jpg

5158766157_bbd0cb79a9_o.jpg

Tell me how many Character Creation mods are you using to make such a gorgeous girl. 5-10? Modding DA:O to get characters like that is hell.

Okay, character generation. I'm using my own custom head mesh from Fallout 3, which was such a botch job I don't have anything besides the actual .nif file any more, and I was lucky to salvage that from an old hard drive. That's used in conjunction with djimon's custom races presets, which I ported over from FO3 to NV. The fashion war paint's just something I added to the texture the other day because, well, you gotta. The hair is from a mod called Ling's Coiffure which has recently been ported to NV, and the eyes... they're from somewhere. Can't quite remember.

None of which made the agonising process of working with Bethesda's Facegen implementation any quicker or less necessary. We're talking hours. And I swear Obsidian dumped a load of sliders from the NV version, though it doesn't seem to affect values imported from FO3.

It's all a bit Jeepers Creepers, really.

5159684201_d113f7f578_b.jpg

5160286818_9b102e6677_b.jpg

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
greats shots

edit : yup, they're soo great that I spelled "great" "greats"

It's worth stressing, though, that while these are all in-engine there's a lot of tweaking that goes into each one, which is why you'll notice so many different light and weather types. Basically, every shot gets posed, then I accelerate the day/night cycle until the lighting hits the right spot, then I cycle through the different weather types in the command console until I find a winner. Not necessarily in that order, though.

The point is that you can't just install a magic mod that guarantees beauty at every turn, especially in a game where the LODs and distant land textures are such a mish-mash. I'm also running with the uGridsToLoad setting almost three times higher than default, which is entirely thanks to me currently borrowing an absolute serial killer of a PC.

This is pretty much as good as it gets in terms of brute force draw distance and LOD in FONV. You could force it to load even more grids at full detail but I'd imagine the game would crash. Notice the unsightly distant land textures, which you might be able to remedy a bit by adding some noise to them, or of course redrawing them at 2x or 3x vanilla resolution. Some of the geometry's also not being drawn (roads, etc.), and again the biggest setback is the lack of any real shadowing on the terrain in general. Certain other weather types might extend the draw distance further, I suppose, and require the attention of my local fire department.

5160306740_3d59486258_b.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Black Ops is out tonight, promise me you'll do a set for us Octagon! I already have a chunk of your MW2 set on my netbook wallpaper stream. Also, I would <3 if you went back and did some World at War shots.

Just to say that I haven't forgotten about that Fallout guide. On the contrary, I've been working on it for the last couple of days. It should be ready sometime during the next 24 hours.

aasoncott

TheOctagon said:
Just to say that I haven't forgotten about that Fallout guide. On the contrary, I've been working on it for the last couple of days. It should be ready sometime during the next 24 hours.

Aww man, it'd be really nice to have my day off full of Fallout modding goodness. Any chance we'll see it tomorrow?

(By the way, you're a god among men.)

Okay, so I'm publishing this with the usual (and in this case justified) caveat that it's not quite finished. I'll be adding a lot more to the actual mod lists over the next few days, putting in a comprehensive .ini setting guide I'm still experimenting with, and illustrating it a whole lot more. Like the Oblivion guide, it's an ongoing WIP that currently has more breadth than depth. Unlike the Oblivion guide, I actually plan to honour that (though I will come back to Oblivion at some point).

4541699391.jpg

http://deadendthrills.com/guides/fallout-3-fallout-new-vegas/

Top Bottom